Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC Problems and Solutions

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,630
    Nope, the '06 is the same car, with just a couple of features changing.

Also, I believe the TPMS on the tC is a "dumb" one. That is, it doesn't actually know what the pressure is, it just looks for a tire that is different than the rest. So, in theory, if they are all 25 or 40, it won't trigger.

Actually, I would have to look in the manual, it might only compare to the other side of the same end of the car. The factory specs are different f/r (something like 32/29), so either the difference is within tollerance, or the TPMS doesn't compare front to back.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• aeroluvraeroluvr Posts: 42
    As I replied in the other thread where I requested the 2006..thanks I understand. I've seen 2006 threads on other models which is why I asked. It would be easier though as right now there are three major threads that "could" apply to 2006 models so one would have to wade though all three huge threads to find any posts applicable to the new 2006 release Scion tC, Scion Owners: Accessories & Modifications and Scion tC Owners: Problems & Solutions. I just thought it would be a lot easier for new visitors as well as existing folks to track owner's experiences with the new year's model - even though there isn't that much that is changed, I'm hoping to find out if the bugs noted with 2005 are now fixed AND how the new options and colors, etc. go over with buyers. I'm sure there will be 2006 "problems and solutions" and comments about "accessories and mods" as well as general commentary..was just hoping to see 2006 all in one place but I understand.
  • scoopnyscoopny Posts: 7
    I had the problem with the tire sensor after I got a flat and got a new tire. When I came in for my oil change I told the dealer about it and he reset it and I haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure what he did.
  • designdesign Posts: 10
    actually much to my surprise I found out that some mechanics at the dealerships have no clue how to reset the tire pressure indicator... i forgot what it is exactly but you have to hold the reset button it until the light blinks... i keep forgetting if it has to blink a certain number of times... anyhow, i know this because they did it wrong the last time I went in for my free oil change... they put in air but did not reset the thing, then i came back and the guy reset wrong... third time was done right.
  • designdesign Posts: 10
    ... and to all you who complain about the creaks cracks and pops... try turning up your stereo to a moderate level and guess what! NO NOISE! so there's your fix. And to anyone who has or is planning to get rims on their TC... just know that all of your rims will be scratched before a year goes by... it took me 4 months to scratch each one of my Pirelli-shoes.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782419
  • jimmiedjimmied Posts: 2
    I purchase the 05 Tc for my son in June I've drove the car the other day and it had more road noise than army tank. Is this normal, if not does anyone know how to reduce this noise
  • jimmiedjimmied Posts: 2
    My DOC fee was $25.00 this is your dealer fee not scion
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    you might want to check the tire pressures.. dealers have been known to not adjust them after they come off the truck.. tire pressures when cold are 32 front, 29 rear.. if that still doesn't fix it.. then it might be the OEM tires, but i haven't heard anything bad about the noise issue.. I took the original tires off and put some Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S (stock size 215/45-17) and so i don't know what the originals are like.. but thought i'd let ya know to check the pressures..
  • aeroluvraeroluvr Posts: 42
    Someone above mentioned the 1/3 brake light? Is that because of wiring pre-done in case you choose the "upgraded" tail lights? If only 1/3 lights up with the regular...then I guess I'll get the upgrade so it won't look so stupid..hmm..maybe that is what they want you to do? Maybe I misunderstood?

I asked this elsewhere but will here too in case it's a problem....does anyone know what the paint cutout looking circles are on the front bumper just above where the fog lights go in below on the grille? They are VERY CLEAR on pics on scion.com page and you can see one on Kelly's pics posted in another thread here in picture 6. I thought those were pre-cutouts for fog lights but then saw on the pics above and on the site the fog lights are put down below on the grille sides? Seems weird to me...anyone know what those are? Are they "stamped" with something?

And finally...I am waiting to get a good dealer referral before I go do my testdrive. I am a bit concerned with all the noise comments from the two roofs, etc. I have a Nissan 240SX with a pop up moon roof and hatchback and it is the quietest car I have ever owned (and smoothest handling as well). That's why I still have it 13 years later..because I can't find anything comparable in price/look/feel/options..am hoping the Scion is "close"....

Thanks to everyone for posting here. I too am picky and prefer to know what to expect BEFORE getting in for the test drive....
  • got_vtecgot_vtec Posts: 22
    So far, this is almost the least expensive car that I've driven, but it seems like a good value for the money. I wish the dealer had more variety to look at, though. (While the auto was peppy enough, I'd like to see if a manual was more sporting....)

I thought the interior was just big enough, but barely. I was a little close to the roof for comfort (but opening up the sunroof helps! :) ), and in the back, I had less than an inch between my head and the glass. Is this normal? I don't usually think of myself as all THAT tall... What do you do with rear passengers? Warn them when you approach bumps? ;) It did seem like there'd be plenty of room for a baby car seat, but I did not try that. If anyone has any comments, I'd like to hear them. Also, I didn't see any rear anchor point for the baby seat, but I didn't spend a lot of time poking around; the RSX had them all the way on the rear hatch wall.

I didn't realize that the rear seat had any adjustments, else I would have tried to see if that would help. Any comments on the rear seat room? Help?!

I've drove the car the other day and it had more road noise than army tank. Is this normal, if not does anyone know how to reduce this noise

It also had a good deal of road noise. I wrote some of this off as being a Also, I believe the TPMS on the tC is a "dumb" one. That is, it doesn't actually know what the pressure is, it just looks for a tire that is different than the rest. So, in theory, if they are all 25 or 40, it won't trigger.

IMO, that's nice. It makes sense to try to keep them all pretty close, but some people might want it a bit more firm, etc.
    the cut outs are for shipping tie down hooks.

I don't think it is noisy (actually, it is as well insulated as a Lexus). I think the noise is from the tires, which aren't very quiet. You don't here much else, so it is noticable.

Back seat recline. Tons of leg room, but not really enough head room for regular adult use. My kids fit fine though.

And, the brake light is just the middle piece of the red strip. The rest is just reflector, and is there mostly as a styling statement, to balance out the car. Non issue to me, since I sure can't see it when I'm driving!

I really want the stereo upgrades (ipod stuff and steering wheel controls). That would be nice, but too late.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• tonylexustonylexus Posts: 94
    Just some comments from an owner since October and 14K miles.

Road noise - I certainly wouldn't categorize my tC as being noisy. There is no appreciable wind noise, the engine is smooth & quiet. Tires do make a big difference and if anything this could be an area of contension that is easily addressed. I've driven cars much more expensive that were noisier. At the very least, there is nothing in this class at this price that can be said to be much quieter - I drove them all.

Back seat room - I find the seats comfortable with a lot of leg room. Head room is indeed another issue, helped somewhat by the reclining seats. However, if rear seat room and people hauling is a priority, this may not be the car for you - nor would any compact coupe.

Tire pressure monitor - If indeed it only recognizes a "difference" in pressure rather than exact pressure in each tire, maybe thats enough. Try finding even that much of a system on a $35k G35.

I'm still trying to figure out how you nit-pickers are able to see your "1/3" brake light while driving enough for it to be an annoyance! Who the #$%$& cares - it lights up adequately enough to warn and comply!! I just don't get this beef.

From an owner, I can honestly say I am completely satisfied with the tC. I wanted a "sporty" commuter near $20k. At $17k I got much more than I expected - It has a compliant, yet sporty ride, good power, all of the creature comfort features necessary, great quality, getting 28 MPG. In short it does everything well - maybe not class leading in any one specific area, but overall nothing comparably equipped in its class competes at its price level.

Just remember, this is a compact coupe - not an SUV, sports car or mini-van.
    Just remember, this is a compact coupe - not an SUV, sports car or mini-van.

Well, what if one wants a sports car? :-)

I thought the handling was really good...... Define "sports car"? ;-)

Back seat room - I find the seats comfortable with a lot of leg room. Head room is indeed another issue, helped somewhat by the reclining seats. However, if rear seat room and people hauling is a priority, this may not be the car for you - nor would any compact coupe.

I wonder if I should revisit this, and try adjusting the seat back....

It's not like I'd be hauling people that often. But, when you occasionally do haul people, do you want to punish them? "OK, here comes another bump! Duck back there!"

Seriously, the tC did seem better than a couple of other (sportier) coupes I looked into. It's either this, or maybe a sporty sedan.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,707
    very well said. I don't even own a tC but you know I'm quite interested in them and I sure do appreciate it when someone is truly and totally satisfied with a rig I am also interested in.

I totally don't get this fascination with hating the 3rd brakelight in the midst of the illuminated red marker in back. What's up with that? I happen to like the design!

I still remember seeing a silver tC come up behind me earlier this year in Arkansas. It had this throaty sound to it like the guy had had the exhaust modified and he was revving up the engine as he approached us in the Sportage 4x4. Of course, it got my rapt attention and I just kept my eyes glued upon it as it revved up and sped ahead. What a great looking coupe! :)

This is not only a great looking car but it's a true bargain for price paid! Enjoy them and don't sweat the petty supposed problems!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

When I say "sports car" I refer to Vette, Porche, .... cars INTENDED and built specifically to stick to the road when cornering at 70 MPH and doing 0-60 in 5 or less seconds...

As much as I would like to declare that in the tC I own a true "sports car" and as much as I like the car, I will be the first to admit that it falls into the category of "sporty car" as does every other vehicle in this class.

I do not pretend that this vehicle is something that it is not or something it was not intended to be. Many people on these threads have fallen prey to that. Plenty of people have complained about the back seat and want to compare it to 4-doors and wagons (Mazda3) - my point is simply that if hauling people is a priority compact coupes are not going to work - that includes RSX, Mini.... I share your concern with the occassional times you would put people back there but in my experience the few times I have had to do that, the comments from the back seat were more in line with "I can't believe how much room there is back here!"

Well, what if one wants a sports car?

The answer to that is simple - buy a sports car (Vette, 911, ...)
    But if you want "sporty" every day transportation, buy 4 tC's instead.
    When I say "sports car" I refer to Vette, Porche, .... cars INTENDED and built specifically to stick to the road when cornering at 70 MPH and doing 0-60 in 5 or less seconds...

I would have a wider definition of "sports car", myself. (Using your definition, you'd have to exclude way too many cars, especially of just a few years ago!) Personally, I'm not a big fan of the ever escalating horsepower; a sports car should be more than just raw power. I'm not saying that I would consider a tC a "sports car", but it seems more than an econobox, and I'm willing to entertain the thought that it might at least be a "pretty darned sporty car". ;-)

I guess part of my frustration in shopping for cars is finding something that is really sporty but yet has some compromises for the real world.

if hauling people is a priority compact coupes are not going to work - that includes RSX, Mini....

I think the tC had (barely) more headroom in the back than the RSX and a lot more legroom. I dunno, as long as you don't need to haul more than one other person most of the time, it might not be too bad for once in a while... I didn't spend much time in the Mini's backseat, but it looked pretty usable.

I share your concern with the occassional times you would put people back there but in my experience the few times I have had to do that, the comments from the back seat were more in line with "I can't believe how much room there is back here!"

Assuming I give the tC a closer look, I'll play with the seat recline and see what kind of a difference it makes. It really does seem like a lot of room, at least until my head gets less than an inch away from the glass. Legs have a lot tho.

I like the idea of a sports, er, sporty car that can actually reasonably seat 4, but still not look like a sedan.
    I couldn't agree more that the tC is a "pretty darned sporty car". For around-town fun I think it is more than adequate. I also agree with your feelings on the horsepower craze and may I add to that "crazed" list the more recent facination with 6 & 7 gears!

I've pushed this car to see what it has and without taking it to the track, it not only satisfied me, it exceded expectations - its a blast! I guess my "sport" point is more directed at those that have knocked the car for not being"sporty" enough, but the attributes they complain about are found in the types of "sports" cars I defined rather than in the $20k "sporty" class.

While somewhat priced like one, the tC is definately not an econobox - but its not a Vette either, just want to keep things in perspective. I can't argue if you wish to widen the Sports car definition I just want to keep an apples-to-apples comparison. In its class, the tC is without question the best all-around value and whatever advantages one may be able to squeeze out of the competition are ones I did not find worth the thousands of $ difference.

As for your back seat dilemma, I will be honest and admit a definite issue with the head room. With the way I intended to use this car, that wasn't a big issue for me, your needs may be different.

"I guess part of my frustration in shopping for cars is finding something that is really sporty but yet has some compromises for the real world."

With that statement, I think you defined the tC perfectly!

All I know for certain is that as long as you are the one behind the wheel, you will not regret getting a tC.
  • weav727weav727 Posts: 15
    I bought my tC in late September 05, and I love it. The only problem has been the roof. It sporadically creaked and cracked when I first got it, and the problem has gotten worse and worse. I tried to have it fixed, but the dealer said it was because the seals were dirty. They took it all apart and put it back together, basically, and now the problem has gotten worse. Just today it didn't want to close for me, which worries me. It is going into the dealer (different one) tomorrow for the 10000 mile service and to try to fix the roof once again.
  • willieredwilliered Posts: 1
    I purchased my tc in late August '04 and have been "plagued" with all the unwelcome creaks and pops from the glass roof panels/sunroof.

I have returned to the dealer 3 times and am currently waiting to be contacted by the regional Scion rep. for an appointment to meet at the dealership.

There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) issued by Toyota to the dealers regarding the roof issues, however, my dealership elected to ignore same and attempt their own "fix," which did not work.

While the car is otherwise great, I plan to begin looking for a used G35 coupe and absorb the loss on the tc if the next attempt is not successful. Good luck.
  • jpolickejpolicke Posts: 1
    In one tC review, this issue was mentioned. If it's any consolation, when Car & Driver tested the Lexus convertible the same thing happened when the trunk opened up for the retracting roof. Guess it's inevitable when you tilt a wet sheet of metal.
  • jcfjcf Posts: 35
    Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip, and the car's flaws just keep worsening as it approaches 10K miles.

The road noise is certainly from the tires. Most of the time its nominal, but I've found rough highway pavements can really bring out the loud drone. Personally, between the road noise and the wheel scrapes, I'd have been happier without low profile tires.

After two failed sunroof repairs, the continuing rattling is now being supplemented by the headliner rattling - and the glovebox rattling noise that just developed when I actually put stuff in there. My GM engineer friend agrees that all these noises are unacceptable for a new car.

I've already had the stick shift boot cover fall apart on me when trying to clean it, and getting it back together wasn't easy. Just cheap install work.

Got the plastic rear deck liner falling apart from the edges now. New problem I'd never have predicted.

Meanwhile, the front's paint chipping, including the hood and mirrors, looks like a 3 year old car, rather than 9 months. I can't believe how soft and cheap the paint job is.

When shopping for a new car and specifically considering the Mazda 3 vs tC, I thought the tC's ergonomics of long doors, heavy hatch, annoying stereo cover, partially lit brake light, small stereo buttons, excessively bright high beam light, floppy rear deck cover, huge key, tempormental remote, uncomfortable head rest positioning, and non-emptying ash tray were the flaws I'd have to accept. I did; but I was not prepared to add quality control problems on top of that.

The car runs great and looks great, but the cumulative annoyances - in ergonomic design and manufacturing quality - are really giving me buyer's remorse. I love and respect Toyotas, but I would not buy this car again or recommend it to others!!!
  • markg4markg4 Posts: 44
    u must have a :lemon: . i have 6k on my 05 tc and it looks, runs & sounds like the day i bought it.
    I have to agree with the post after yours, you must have a lemon. I have over 15k on my tc and can only list a roof rattle that comes and goes (not there enough to be a major concern) and a broken sun roof deflector (repaired under warranty). All else is fine and suspect will be even better when I wear these tires out and get different rubber. The only chips in the paint are from my stupidity in allowing myself to get attacked by a salt truck on the E-way (About 5 chips)

It would seem to me that if the glove box didn't "rattle" when empty, the rattle must be caused by what you put into it. Secure those items and you may solve your problem.

I would contest several of the issues you raised as shortcomings of the car (chalk them off as personal preference) and wonder why with a list that long you bought the car in the first place. (Unless the "do not like" list was even longer for the 3)

I don't think Toyota's quality and reliability record needs to be defended and to defer to a GM person as to what is "acceptable" would be laughable if not so sad.

There are no doubt some "first year" issues with your car, but based on my experience and seemingly that of many others, yours (if it as horrible as you say) is an exception to the rule. That doesn't make life any easier for you and I sympathize. Just want you and others to know that not all tC's are like yours.

Can't please everyone!
    I have admitted to hearing the pops, creaks, etc. but my experience has been intermitemt and not nearly as aggravating as some others have claimed.

I do like your solution - rather than belly-ache, if you are not satisfied with the car, get rid of it and try something else! Others should heed your wisdom.

Personally, I'm not so sure I would jump into a G35 (at least save some bucks and get the Z). I've driven them and while impressed, for the price found plenty to question. But hey, it's a great car and if you don't like that one, try another. that's what is so great about having so many auto choices out there.

I am quite satisfied with the tC but will surely try something new and exciting when it comes time to change or if I ever become disatisfied. For now I have 15k trouble free, enjoyable miles and look forward to many more.

If you do make the switch, do us a favor on this site and let us know how you make out selling the tC. I would be interested to hear what the resale is.

Good luck.
    I may have a lemon, but the number of similar rattling problems being reported by others makes me conclude that there's inherent quality control problems with the car. Either your tC's put together tighter than mine, or perhaps I'm just riding on rougher roads than you.

I put the car in the shop this week for a third time on the roof. This time, the rep and mechanic took the problem more seriously. Our test drive together confirmed two loud, obvious, annoying roof noises - a popping noise from body flex, and another rattling noise from rough roads. They kept the car for 2 days, gave me a free rental, and treated me like gold. They've ordered over $1000 of replacement parts for a rebuild next week. Looks like I'm following in Stickguy's footsteps.

The headboard liner rattle will hopefully be fixed with the roof replacement.

The rear hatch plastic interior liner also has to be replaced. It simply fell apart.

The glovebox rattles, not from two books inside, but from the weight of the books causing some new tweak. Solution: keep the box empty. Comment: another little poor quality annoyance.

OK, I've complained enough and made my point - but with good cause. Remember, this is a "problems & solutions" forum, meaning criticism is to be expected. Besides, its appropriate that potential buyers be informed of all the potential problems and weaknesses with the car. It might influence their decision.
    Yup, they pretty much rebuilt my roof, as best as I can tell. Of course, it is louder now than before I had it done. No ratlles, but lots of creaks and pops.

They did fix the headliner rattle when they did the roof though.

The squeaky hatch comes and goes. Sometimes I don't hear it, other times it sounds like a '65 Chevy front suspension (one that needs new ball joints).

Other than that, nothing is falling apart or seem cheap.

The noises are really getting on my nerves though, and I don't think I have the heart to make them work on it again (since I don't think they will resolve any of the issues)

I was afraid you might say that, making me less than optimistic about my rebuilt roof results. I'm not sure how much persistence I'll have on the noise issues either. But, as long as they keep working on it for free and giving me a free rental car, I'll stick with it for awhile. Might as well take advantage of having a warranty.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    .....anyone posting gas mileage numbers. I was shocked to see a best of 20 MPG during Edmunds long term test they did on the Tc. I would think a car of this size and weight, with its aerodynamics, and only having a 2.4 liter engine would get way into the 30's on the highway. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with your's?
    that in Canadian?

My 5 speed gets about 24 around town, real short hop stuff. About 30 -32 highway, depending on speed and amount of time sitting in traffic.

This discussion has been closed.