Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• I could just go to one of literally half a dozen local car audio places here in Pocatello. For a city of 50,600 people Pocatello, ID has an abnormally high amount of car stereo installation places. I should be able to score a great deal on a CD/FM player, or, as you say, just record on MP3 for CD. Whatever I do regarding the CD player, the stereo is not a deal-twister for me. What I'm curious about is how Lithia Hyundai will deal with my trade in vs.how Robert Allen Kia will deal with me.

I'm waiting for us to settle down and finish moving into our new house before I go look for the car, if indeed I really do trade. But the fact that I could bet a '06 Sonata for $15,499 really changes my search to include the '06 Rio5 and the '06 Sonata.

Chances that I'll trade in just increased to 85%! :)

I'm guessing that both dealers will offer liberal trade-in, but that's just a guess as I'm new to Pocatello and both dealers.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• and I went to the GL model and here's the list of features for the $15,499 GL.

* 2.4L, DOHC, 4-cylinder engine
    * 5-speed manual transmission
    * Dual front airbags, front side-impact airbags, and roof- mounted side curtain airbags
    * Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Nice!
    * Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction
    Control System (TCS) Nice! :D
    * Front seat active head restraints
    * 16” steel wheels with Michelin® tires Nice! :)
    * Tilt, leather-wrapped steering wheel
    * Leather-wrapped shift knob (automatic transmission
    only) Why not with the stick shift, too? :D
    * 4-wheel disc brakes Nice! :)
    * Remote keyless entry system with alarm
    * Power windows, locks, and heated mirrors
    * AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System It does have the CD changer!
    * Air conditioning
    * Cruise control
    * Cabin air-filtration system

So, it has the CD changer as OEM! Score another positive
    for getting the Sonata!

• Yes the fact you can't change stations from the steering wheel is very odd and annoying. I almost feel like bringing it back and having them fix that under warranty LOL!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,732
    It does have the CD changer!

No, it doesn't. It's a single CD/MP3 player. Unless you are thinking of "CD changer" as in you push the eject button, pull out the CD, and change it. :)

The stick shift doesn't have a leather cover because that costs money too. I priced a leather-covered shifter knob for my Elantra GLS (one comes on the GT) and it's over $100! There are so few stick Sonatas sold in the U.S., Hyundai probably said, "Why bother?"
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    "* AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System It does have the CD changer!"

Yeah, right - ya' might wanna go back and look just a bit closer. All Hyundai's U.S. website lists is the standard equipment "AM/FM/CD/MP3 Audio System with 6 Speakers" for all Sonata models across the board. There was no mention at all of a CD changer except for the LX - and, at that, only as part of an additional $1,450.00 "Premium Package" option which also includes a trunk-mounted subwoofer. You could probably have the take-yer-money-ship install the CD changer* in whatever Sonata you're interested in, though. I have an '03 and enjoy the standard, single disc CD player, but, I will NEVER own another car without at least a six-disc in-dash changer again. It's simply too inconvenient as well as suicidal to try to deal with a disc exchange while driving alone.

*Dunno whether it would be a six-disc in-dash changer or a trunk mounted add-on as in the previous generation Sonata.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    I was talking with the Service Manager of our local Hyundai dealer yesterday, and he stated that Hyundai will be offering another V6 (optional engine??)in the Sonata. I've never read this anywhere, and when he didn't say, but I thought it was interesting nevertheless.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    Interesting, indeed. The Azera's engine is part of the same "Llambda" family, though slightly enlarged in displacement for increased power. Maybe a variation of that motor? (On the other hand, did you have the chance to note which orifice the guy was talking out of? ;))
    If it's optional, it's probably the 3.8L from the Azera. Can you imagine what a Sonata would do with 263 hp? Probably would be close to 6 secs. 0-60. Would be a nice variant to have, especially since the new Camry will likely have the big V6 from the Avalon available. (Personally I think the I4 has plenty of power, but I know for some folks, more is better.)

The other possibility is the new 2.7L engine with about 200 hp, but that would be a step down from the 3.3L engine so I can't see it being an option--unless maybe it would be a new, lower-cost V6 option for the GLS? It is rumored the new Optima will use that engine.
  • As a further note about the automatic door locks, the factory ships out ALL units with this feature DISABLED.

The dealer will be happy to set the automatic door lock feature for you at one of several different speeds. Check your owners manual for the range of speeds at which the automatic door locks will active at.

NOTE: There is a charge for this service. IT IS NOT WARRANTY WORK and a $48 charge is imposed to have the automatic locks activated.

I had my Sonata serviced specifically to have the locks enabled at 19 MPH. A follow-up service question from Hyundai USA came in the mail a short time later. Making a long story short, I did indicate that I was unhappy to have to pay for the locks to be activated, and should be made part of DEALER PREP. I had further suggested that at the least, this is something the dealership should be disclosing at the vehicle closing and have the locks actived PRIOR TO DELIVERY to eliminate a needless trip back to the dealer AFTER DELIVERY.

The A & B Odometer modes are only available on vehicles NOT EQUIPED with the Trip Computer.

The Telescoping Wheel Adjustment can be found underneath the steering column on the left hand side. It is used to adjust both tilt angle AND column length.

I hope this information helps. :)
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Obviously, I don't have any other input, other than what he said. But, he's been a Service Manager at this dealer for over 10 years, a "straight-shooter", and very knowledgeable on the Hyundai product line. I used to be an auto technician, and we were just shooting the breeze - sort of shop talk if you will.

One other item that may be interesting, especially as to brand marketing. This dealer is a large family-owned dealership with stores throughout the Midwest, and also in Florida, Georgia, and California. They're building a brand new six building facility here over a number of acres which will include the Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and VW stores. Currently, they're spread over town in two facilities. The Hyundai, Toyota, and VW brands will have separate showrooms and service facilities, whereas Kia, Mazda, and Mitsubishi will be combined into a single large showroom. The other two buildings are dedicated to a large service building for Kia, Mazda, and Mitsubishi, and a large used car showroom respectively. All of this is in one large contiguous land area off of one of the major interstates in the area. It's nice that Hyundai will have its own stand-alone building; kind of tells you the emphasis they plan on placing on Hyundai marketing and sales.
  • Backy, I would definately agree with your "complaints". I think that Hyundai dropped the ball when dealing with the RADIO/CD Changer driver's steering wheel controls.

The Sonata LX '06 has a Mode, Volume Up, Volume Down & Volume Mute controls ONLY. Currently, there is no way to "scan" or seek stations or CD Tracks. This means that the driver is forced to take his/her eyes off the road, turn and move forward in order to change Radio Frequecies and CD Tracks, which in my opinion is a great distraction.

The whole point of Radio/CD controls in the steering wheel is to PREVENT such distractions from occuring IN THE FIRST PLACE! My girlfriend's Ford Focus SE5 has all the required Radio/CD controls IN THE STEERING WHEEL, COMPLETELY ELIMINATING DRIVER DISTRACTION WHEN MAKING RADIO/CD ADJUSTMENTS.

Please note that the Azera has the same lame controls as does the lower priced Sonata. Why both the Sonata and higher priced Azera are missing controls that a much lesser car has is beyond my understanding. :confuse:

Hopefully, this matter will be addressed in the 2007 Sonata and Azera.

Other than missing Radio/CD control buttons, I've been very happy with my '06 Sonata LX purchased on Oct. 15, 2005. :)
  • They do send surveys after having service work done. In my particular case, after having the automatic door locks programed to activate. I filled out the survey as best I could. I gave them high marks.

HOWEVER, I didn't get a service survey after having my oil changed at the 1,000 mile mark. I sure wish they had. :mad:

Once service is completed, someone from the shop walks thru the customer lounge to the billing desk, calling your name. If you happen to be in the bathroom, showroom, or simply outside having a smoke, your out of luck. NO PAGING of completed service work is done at my dealership. :cry: I ended up at the dealership for several hours waiting for the oil change to be completed. It wasn't until the Service Writer saw me later that day that I was informed that the oil change had been completed.

After entering the car once the oil change was completed, I found the driver's seat add been adjusted to "Sleep Mode" with the back almost completely parallel to the floor, with the seat moved all the way back as far as possible. :(

It wasn't until the next day, when my girlfriend spotted the huge mess left on my leather seats. Spots, all over the bottom and backrest of the drivers seat!! Paper towel and bit of spit couldn't remove what had been deposited on the drivers seat! I immediately went to the local auto parts store to purchase a bottle of leather cleaner. After several applications of leather cleaner and elbow grease, I was FINALLY able to remove ALL traces of stain that had been deposited. :cry:

I would appear from my experience that Hyundai USA send out only one Service Satisfaction Survey. Rest assured, had I received a second one, I would have complained bitterly. I would hope that Hyundai makes it a practice to send surveys each and every time that service work is done.

You can bet your bottom dollar that when I return for the 3,000 mile oil change, due within the next 500 miles, I will be bringing my last experience to the Service Writers attention, and insist that the car be return EXACTLY as it was when tendered for service! No "Sleep Mode" and no leather stains. :mad:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    "NOTE: There is a charge for this service. IT IS NOT WARRANTY WORK and a $48 charge is imposed to have the automatic locks activated."

Yes, it not warranty work. The auto door locks are standard equipment. They need to be activated/prepped to the speed of the buyer's choice. Don't other items need to be activated/prepped prior to delivery to the buyer and are included in the delivered price?

Did you consider that maybe you got ripped off by your dealer to activate this STANDARD feature?
    I would consider it a rip-off to pay to have this feature activated. The Hyundai warranty has a 12 month, 12,000 mile period for "adjustments." I consider this kind of thing an adjustment and I would fight like h*** to have it done at no charge, if I owned a Sonata.
    Heck yes, backy. Suppose the car was transported with the radio unplugged, for whatever reason, or the rear defroster, or the climate control, etc. Those items are standard equipment and should be working when the car is delivered to the buyer. People who pay extra to have the auto door locks functional are being taken for a ride.

I doubt the manufacturer would step on the dealer's toes about this. It's not a factory problem, but rather shady action on the part of some third party vendors (dealers).
  • jojoejojoe Posts: 81
    My,my, no controls for changing channels on the steering wheel.What in heavens name were they thinking!
    Now there will be thousands of accidents because everyone will reach 12 inches for the main dials.I hope they put food trays on the console,so I don't have to reach for my burgers and I hope they have built in cell phones so I don't have to fiddle around trying to find mine.Of course these were never distractions. Oh and for all the folks who can't figure where the hec they are going ,don't forget the soon to be out GPS units(but of course these won't cause distractions while driving),and I hope they are on the steering wheel also.Soon all you will need is a steering wheel with 4 wheels and two seats.
    Sarcasm aside, the reason I find the lack of a tuning control on the steering wheel puzzling is that Hyundai went to the trouble and expense of adding steering wheel controls for the audio system, yet they didn't include the one control that people will use most often once the audio system is on and the car is underway. It's just really illogical to me, almost a Dilbert kind of thing.
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    Personally, I would not have cleaned anything, and would have gone back and asked to see the owner or whoever is in charge; and showed him everything and raised HELL!

If he is not a moron (from the way you describe this dealer: he is a moron to let this kind of things go on!); he probably would have given you a free something: another oil change/free maintenance something...
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    I agree about the seat adjustment. When I got my oil change, I sat in every Hyundai on the showroom floor.
    All had the dual knob adjustment, except the Sonata.
    Even the Tucson. And all were more comfortable, at least
    to me, than the Sonata. Even the Elantra, and the Tucson
    The power seat did not allow the front of the seat to
    be tilted up as much as the dual knob setup on the
    other cars either.
  • jojoejojoe Posts: 81
    Just so you all know.I love my wifes Sonata ....JUST THE WAY IT IS! If I was to try and find a car or truck that was perfect,I would never get the chance to drive anything! The Sonata has quirks and perks,no more ,no less than anything else on the road.One thing I must tell some of the patrons in here....we drive our car more then we spend time bitching about it.So it must be ok!
    So now have fun and a great New Year to everyone! Even if you do have to turn the dial to find your station....lol
  • post above. Why are we so spoiled that we think that the carmaker should put every contraption known to man inside this little area? Then we complain when there's too much clutter inside the cabin!

What's a little 'ole carmaker to do besides give people a Long-Haul Warranty so that everything is covered for a bazillion years and miles.

Kia and Hyundai both are doing such a great job I can't think of squat to complain about. The more I look at the slop being made out there by everyone else the more I love Kia and Hyundai. Toyota's looking worse and worse to me as time rolls along. The new Yaris sedan looks too Toyota-ish and non-intelligent to me. Looks goofy. Toyota just doesn't get it yet they sell trillions of cars. What might that tell us? Their cars are so dull looking and they have the same problems other carmakers have with their new cars.

Slap me a 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL with a 5-speed tranny and AM/FM/CD MP3 player standard. Have you looked at all the standard safety equipment these rigs have built in? Airbags in every corner including side curtain bags and side airbags, Electronic Stability Control, Traction Control System and Anti-Lock Braking System, etc. It's loaded with standard safety equipment.

Oh, about the CD changer. The one standard in the GL will be fine if I get a Sonata GL. I don't mind changing CD's as I go along. Not a problem. I thought from reading above that it didn't even have the capability of playing standard CD's-that they had to be MP3's. No, what it has standard will be fine with me.

• That's quite a wishlist, newcar 2006! As to incorporating ALL "safety measures" in ALL vehicles, that sir, will never happen. To be profitable, all manufactures must produce products to satisfy ALL price points. Add ALL the Sonata features to an Elantra, and the price of the Elantra becomes the same as the Sonata. A fellow making minimum wage supporting a family of four ISN'T in the market for an Azera or a Sonata, but more likely to purchase an Accent. Why? Because that's what he can afford.

Take ABS brakes for example. If I'm not mistaken, ABS brakes were introduced about 20 years ago. Were they introduced on brand new "basic transportation" vehicles? No! On top of the line, luxury vehicles! Why? Because the technology that lead to ABS brakes was very expensive to develop. Each feature added to a vehicle, makes that vehicle just that more expensive, leaving fewer choices for those that may not have the economic means to purchase such a vehicle. If I recall correctly, back in 1969, a brand new Cadillac sold for about $13,000 which in today's market would be considered peanuts. However, back in 1969 not everybody and his brother were driving Cadillacs.

If I were to buy a brand new car today for say $3,500 dollars, should I expect the car to have ABS, Tilt, full carpeting, sun roof, cruse control? NO! On the other hand, if I were to spend $50,000, I would expect all the options listed above and more.

I can guarantee you that you'll never see a response from anyone associated with Hyundai. If you do get a response, I doubt it would be worth the pixels used to display the response.

No corporation in their right mind would even consider giving estimates of when a particular feature will become available, or a list of new features.

I've been involved in the mechanical design industry for many years where licensed software runs between $3500 to $20,000 or more PER SEAT. No one in that industry comments, discusses or otherwise mentions either features or a time frame.

If you're REALLY waiting for an answer, you might as well purchase your vehicle of choice immediately.
  • If you check the Hyundai Service Technology Web Site, a document clearly states that a charge for activating the automatic door locks is NOT a WARRANTY ITEM and is NOT COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY.

While I wasn't happy having to pay the activation fee, it wasn't a dealer rip off.
  • I would strongly disagree with you bhmr59, that the manufacturer wouldn't step on the dealers toes. The dealer knows that reimbursement for tech time will not be paid by Hyundai USA. Therefore, the owner will have to come up with the scratch to cover the costs of activating the automatic door locks. Either the customer pays or the dealer swallows the cost of activation. Trying to negotiate the cost AFTER delivery of the vehicle is a no win situation for the customer.

However, those of you getting ready to purchase a Sonata or other vehicle should be aware of this fact and negotiate the cost involved prior to making a firm commitment to the dealer for making a purchase.

I specifically checked with Hyundai USA's Service Technology Web Site before and after being told that I was responsible for the charge. Had I seen something other than what I've reported to you, I definitely would have raised a real ruckus about the charge.

While I couldn't quite follow all the logic the salesman stated about why Hyundai ships vehicles with the automatic door locks disabled, it would appear that originally, the Sonatas were shipped with locks activated and either customers or dealers were experiencing a lot of lock outs. It was therefore decided by Hyundai USA NOT to enable automatic door locks at the Alabama factory.

As I stated earlier, this particular matter should be brought to the attention of the customer at the time of delivery and the adjustment be made prior to leaving the lot to avoid a return visit to the dealer once the customer realizes that the automatic door locks aren't working.

The '06 Sonata Sales brochure states that the vehicle comes equipped with automatic door locks and would lead the customer to believe that no adjustment or activation is required.

My girlfriend's Ford Focus comes with automatic locks that don't required any intervention, whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I suggested to her to contact her dealer to see if the automatic door locks could be activated at a speed greater than the current 2 mph. The Ford dealer indicated that changing activation speed is not available, unlike the Sonata.

Since there is a charge to the customer, I would strongly suggest that the customer give great consideration as to what speed the lock become activated. I have no doubt the dealer will charge for each and every change of activation speed the customer requests.

I live in an area where neighborhood streets have posted speed limits of 20 and 25 MPH. I selected a KPH value that has the equivalent of 19 MPH, thereby activating the locks prior to meeting maximum posted speeds within the neighborhood. While I don't recall all the specific KPH values that can be set, it is quite broad, allowing the customer to pick very slow to quite peppy speeds before the locks engage. Having driven the Ford Focus on numerous occasions, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST NOT setting the engagement speed to its lowest value. You'll find yourself having to manually release the locks at even the slightest movement. Try dropping people off at the restaurant door several times and you'll quickly realize activating locks at too slow a speed will be a real PITA.
  • blnewtoblnewto Posts: 146
    Why both the Sonata and higher priced Azera are missing controls that a much lesser car has is beyond my understanding
    I'd much rather be lacking the channel seek feature on the steering wheel than the many standard features the Sonata offers over the competitors~such as traction control, electronic stability, shiftronic transmission, 4 wheel ABS-Discs, Side Airbags, Auto lighting, etc.

There is one thing I must gripe about though~NO OIL PRESSURE GUAGE~ I just hate idiot lights!!!
  • I too would rather miss the channel seek feature than the other features the Sonata has over its competitors at the price point is sells for.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would recommend this vehicle to anyone who asks about it.

As I stated earlier, I would hope that the next version of the Sonata had a more complete audio control system located in the steering wheel.

While having a oil pressure gauge would make instrumentation more complete, I'm not so sure how many people would know what values to expect both inside and outside normal oil pressure ranges. I know that I myself wouldn't know without reading the owners manual.
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    I agree. When my car was delivered there was a stain on the
    seat. I pointed it out to the salesman, and he took the
    car himself, brought it back in half an hour, seats
    perfect, and said he had the prep guy scotchguard the seats
    at no charge for the inconvenience.
  • Yes I agree too. That is a big ripoff! They should make adjustments like that free of charge. It is further a rip off to charge the price of $48 for what must be a very quick and easy fix.
  • I brought my Sonata LX back to the dealer within two weeks, to have the Auto Lock Feature activated. They initially told me that it would run about $35, but they did it gratis. The speed can be set in 5 km/h (~3 mph) increments, from 20 km/h (12 mph) to 40 km/h (25 mph). I had it set for 25 km/h (16 mph).

When I go for my first oil change, I'll mention the strange outside temperature readings I've been getting on the HVAC display. Most of the time, it's only 10 to 15 degrees higher than actual. Yesterday, however, it was around 35 degrees here in western Mass., yet the display initially read 129, then climbed to 139.

Two of my minor peeves:
    The placement of the steering wheel volume up and down buttons. I think it would be more logical for them to straddle the raised button, much like the resume and set buttons for cruise control straddle the cancel button. Also, the rearview mirror should display the actual inside cabin temperature; it's not enough just to display the selected temperature on the HVAC panel.

I've had the car for six weeks now (1450 mi.). The best fuel economy I've gotten is 20 mpg, which included the 120 mile round-trip to the dealership. The last two tankfulls have been 16 and 17 mpg, respectively, mostly just around town. I certainly hope this improves as the engine loosens up. I'll be taking a trip to Buffalo, NY, in two weeks, and I'll be expecting a minimum in the mid-20s.

Otherwise, I'm more than happy with this car.
    Sounds like your thermometer is indeed defective.

Good that you didn't get ripped off by paying for a standard feature to function.

Your mpg will improve by 10% or more when the outside temperatures moderate. Look for marked improvement in the spring. Then, come next Oct. or November your mph will again drop.