Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    The car just doesn't look good in any of the factory colors.

Hey, that's why I married the girl you didn't like.... And I bought the very tie you hate... I, for instance, think that the Sonata has the most sexy [non-permissible content removed] among the 2 other rivals, the Accord (CERTAINLY the '06 Accord...just a blahhh design) and even the Camry (CERTAINLY the '06 Camry...what a joke)...

I saw the Sonata first exactly a year ago at a local hotel parking lot. I saw it from behind, and it really caught my attention. I found the design of the back of the car just beautiful.

But you make your own choice, buddy. Chose between an Asian car and a Ford.... Let's talk again 4-5-6 years from now, check which one has kept a better residual value.... he he...
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    In my estimation(and I own a 2006 Sonata GLS I4)you are correct when you say that the armrest areas both on the doors and particularly the drivers center armrest, needs a lot of work. I do not agree, however, that the car feels unsubstantial and cheap.

My wife and I considered the Ford Fusion when we were testing the Sonata. We both felt that the Sonata was a much more pleasant and quiet riding automobile. In fact I would say that the Hyundai Sonata is one of the most quiet riding(lack of wind noise and road noise) in a midsize auto that I have ever driven.

If you are going to be using the backseat of your car very much, then the Sonata has one of the most spacious and comfortable back seats of any of the midsize cars we tried out.
  • Options
    One more thing, just a note:

We also own an '05 V6EX Accord... I can tell you that in no way am I feeling like driving an inferior car when driving my 4 cyl. Sonata... There is a slight difference in power between the V6 and my I4, of course, but the Sonata is QUIETER than the Accord, as smooth and stable, as comfortable, and it has MORE safety features than the Accord, MORE inside space, and MUCH MORE spacious trunk...

...And it cost MUCH LESS (comparing comparable engines, of course) and has a MUCH BETTER warranty.

It's simply MORE CAR FOR THE MONEY.
  • Options
    cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    So by all means go buy the Fusion. Ford is desperately trying to unload their lots of them right now. You will probably get a good deal.
  • Options
    jlemoinejlemoine Member Posts: 25
    Ever notice that both the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry
    are imitating the looks of the Sonata. Guess when you got it everyone wants to imitate it!
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    "MORE safety features than the Accord, MORE inside space, and MUCH MORE spacious trunk...

...And it cost MUCH LESS (comparing comparable engines, of course) and has a MUCH BETTER warranty.

It's simply MORE CAR FOR THE MONEY".

MORE FUN, MORE VALUE & makes MORE sense to own. Possibly the perfect Car :shades:
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    looks is such a subjective quality. personally i think the sonata looks fantastic and will definately age well. the dashboard on the other hand i feel needs a complete overhaul (i mean come on tiny green LCD displays? the 80s was like 20 years ago).

i drove a regular fusion and the plastic dashboard didn't exactly call out quality in my mind.
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    IIHS.org: FRONT/ SIDE / REAR
    Subaru Legacy- Good / Good / Good
    VW Passat- Good / Good / Acceptable
    Audi A3- Good / Good / Acceptable
    VW Jetta/Rabbit- Good / Good / Acceptable
    Chevy Malibu- Good / Good / Acceptable
    2007 Camry- Good / Good / Marginal
    Honda Accord- Good / Good / Poor
    Mitsu Galant- Good / Good / Poor
    Volvo s40- Good / Acceptable / Good
    Hyundai Sonata- Good / Acceptable / Good
    Pontiac G6- Good / Acceptable / Marginal
    Nissan Maxima- Good / Marginal / Poor
    Suzuki Verona- Acceptable/ Marginal / Poor

6 more models later is the Fusion at the very bottom of the list! Note that the six not shown are tested without optional airbags. :lemon:

What this shows me is never buy a sedan without ALL airbags! With the exception of the Maxima and Verona, all with side airbags are crash worthy. Until manufacturers stop being greedy and taking advantage of a SAFETY FEATURE, if you have a family, buy them! The only vehicle I've heard of to get a perfect test score without side airbags is the Subaru Forester. ;)

Subaru has a vehicle on the top of 3 lists. Small cars: Impreza :shades: , midsize cars: Legacy :shades: , and small SUVs: Forester :shades: . All 3 are recommended by Consumer Reports for good reliability. Only set backs for Subis is the tight rear seat room and mpgs aren't the best but how many vehicles have high mpgs, good reliability, perfect crash scores, and a large interior? :confuse:

There is no such animal! I've looked for a long time! I'm not mentioning hybrids because they are selling TOO HIGH, like the Camry! I bet Toyota dealers are praying for higher gas prices! :mad:

Four banger Sonatas are hard to find for a reason! Why do you think large SUVs or some V6 sedans have such high rebates? The higher gas prices go, the less V6 engines will sell. :surprise:

One more thing...GO SUBIE! :P
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You should also know that the Fusion and the Mercury counterpart are made in Mexico. I believe Mexican made VW products aren't known for quality. I also know that some of the wiring harnesses for various other Ford cars/trucks that were made in Mexico were having to be troubleshot and ultimately replaced due to..you guessed it...poor quality. So, go right ahead and buy a Fusion, I'm not!
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I wasn't trying to talk down the Sonata. On the contrary, I've had my eyes on it since 2002. Of course it was a different car back then. I'm looking for value mostly, which the Sonata is second to none, but a little style too. Of course beauty is a subjective matter, and I have to admit the interior especially the dash looks quite appealing, except for the armrest area. The problem for me is the exterior. Maybe it's the light colors that make the car look very dull. I might try to find a red or dark blue one to look at next time.

Like a lot of you said, I was most impressed with the driving dynamics and the ride of the Sonata. It really drives like a small car.

My main complaints:
    1) cheap and narrow armrest areas;
    2) cheap, plastic, slippery steering wheel! It's something you use every minute when in the car for crying out loud.
    3) anonymous styling, subjective of course.

My likes:
    1) great value, especially the 4-cy;
    2) great driving dynamics and ride;
    3) great warranty;
    4) life time free oil changes (offered by local dealer)
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Add unsupportive driver seating unless the buyer goes to the expense of adding the power driver's seat. In what I feel was a clear effort to economize with the introduction of the 2006 Sonata, Hyundai miscalculated badly when it dropped the adjustable front rake feature that could be manually dialed in per driver preference and additionally went to a too shallow seat bottom length that leaves taller drivers with insufficient thigh support. JMHO, but where my bottom meets the car, it's the only opinion that counts... ;)
  • Options
    Add unsupportive driver seating unless the buyer goes to the expense of adding the power driver's seat.

--I'm not a tall guy (5-8), but I can attest that my (I4) manual seat is very comfortable. It took me a couple days to finally find the right position, but since then, for the past 7 months -- I have no problem whatsoever.

For a decade I've been suffering from lower-back problems, and all I can say is, driving my wife's '05 Accord which is top-of-the-line EXV6 with leathr seats, after a half hour drive my lower back starts acting up... None of that when driving my Sonata, even after driving 3 hours straight.
  • Options
    bsancatbsancat Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the reply.

I called Hyundai America a week ago and they notified me that as a "Good will gesture" they are sending me a check for $75.00.
    Thanks again,

bsancat
  • Options
    I second that. The seats are another thing I don't like about this car. IMO, they're too thin and cheap looking, even though they might work just fine.
  • Options
    eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    tamu2002 said: "2) cheap, plastic, slippery steering wheel! It's something you use every minute when in the car for crying out loud."

I am beginning to wonder tamu2002 what vehicle you have been testing. My 2006 GLS Hyundai Sonata has a very nice leather wrapped steering wheel. It is not plastic, and it is not cheap.

I agree with you completely about the armrests as I have previously stated. And I also agree with you that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" regarding the Sonatas styling. While I do not think the styling is the best there is out there, it is certainly better than some of the other cars, and I find it a pleasing style to look at.

I also find my I4 to be comparatively economical as far as gas mileage is concerned. I am getting at least 20 mpg in town and 30 mpg on the highway. If I want to really take it easy I can bump those figures up slightly in town to 21 or 22 mpg, and fairly easily acquire 32 or 33 mpg on the highway by driving 60 or 65 miles per hour. The real deal for me is going to be how the car holds up over time.

My current vehicle is a 1992 Honda Accord that has been very reliable. So my new 2006 Hyundai has some real competition. But so far, the Sonata has proven itself to be a much more quiet and comfortable riding automobile,while at the same time having more power and acquiring equal/or better MPG than the Honda.
  • Options
    Glad you love your car eagle. I drove a V6 model. Don't remember if it had leather wrapped steering wheel. I thought it did but am not sure. I certainly hope the Sonata will prove to be as reliable as the Hondas.
  • Options
    "2) cheap, plastic, slippery steering wheel! It's something you use every minute when in the car for crying out loud"

Eh, they all are Leather wrapped. Fantastic Wheel, especially the Telescopic wheel in my LX!

"I certainly hope the Sonata will prove to be as reliable as the Hondas.

Only time will tell. Perhaps they wont. The Sonata still is an incredible value, and has a 10 Year Warranty :)
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Might be your last chance to get a Ford as they seem to be on the way to joining Pierce Arrow, Studebaker and Packard...not to mention Kaiser.
  • Options
    --"Might be your last chance to get a Ford as they seem to be on the way to joining Pierce Arrow, Studebaker and Packard...not to mention Kaiser."--

Add to that Stutz, Maxwell, Stanley, Reo*, Willys, Nash, Hudson, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Rambler, & Desoto. Fallen flags, all - but not forgotten...

*"Reo" was an acronym for Ransom E. Olds - the same dude who developed, marketed, and later sold Oldsmobile to GM.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Might be your last chance to get a Ford as they seem to be on the way to joining Pierce Arrow, Studebaker and Packard...not to mention Kaiser.

Ford recently offered to sell the Jaguar badge to Hyundai, and they passed on it. I guess it's a sign of times.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Ford recently offered to sell the Jaguar badge to Hyundai, and they passed on it. I guess it's a sign of times.

Apparently Ford had no thoughts about selling off Jaguar.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    kaiser2kaiser2 Member Posts: 10
    Hi NEHC,
    Referring to your post #6135, Can you tell me What dealer did you buy your car from? and also what state did you buy your car (2006 Sonata GL) for 15.1K OTD?
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    "Apparently Ford had no thoughts about selling off Jaguar."

Actually, Ford has been shopping around for potential buyers. GAZ pulled out; Hyundai did its homework (aka due dilligence) and was not interested (Hyundai wanted to focus on its own operation than to be bothered with taking on a risky brand with lots of baggage). At this point, there aren't many other interested buyers out there looking for the Jag brand and Jag alone. Long story short, Ford invested billions in Jag, and has subsquently lost billions, mostly due in part to its mismanagement.

There is a thread somewhere on this forum regarding this topic so I won't go over-board veering off in here.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Regarding the possibility of Ford selling Jaguar, there seem to be a number of Automotive News discussions touching on that theme. One of the main ones is Where Is Ford taking Lincoln??

Others can be found using the keyword search on the left.
  • Options
    subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    if anyone on this part of the forum has not seen it here it is. http://www.historychannel.com/ click hyundai box on main front page. modern marvals video of hyundai plant in alabama where the sonata is built
  • Options
    Wow, I'm even more impressed with my car now. I can see why it is so solid and well built. Knowing it came from the most technically advanced plant in the country is so reassuring. There is no doubt this car will easily outlast it's warranty.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Saw it on the History Channel.

That's why I decided to switch by next car choice from a Camry to a Sonata.

BTW, does anyone know if the Alabama plant only produces Sonatas?
  • Options
    grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    The new Santa Fe is also built there.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The new redesigned Santa Fe is also made there which makes sense since it is based on the Sonata.
  • Options
    Just wanted to post this, my car is now 3 months old, has 1530 miles as of this writing and my gas mileage is going up. Switched to Chevron fuel (don't know if that is the reason,) from Shell and Citgo and am now getting 28.2 mpg combined city and highway. This is a 2006 GLS V6 and running it on 87 Octane. :D
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    my gas mileage is going up. Switched to Chevron fuel (don't know if that is the reason,) from Shell and Citgo

Most likely not as its all the same gas. Your mileage increase is due to your engine breaking in. It should increase over the first several thousand miles of driving.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    I figured that but it's just coincidental that the last tank I got a max of 26 mpg and right off the bat this one is showing closer to EPA. I'm not complaining mind you..
  • Options
    rg0rg0 Member Posts: 3
    For those of you with leather, how is it holding up? What kind of wear are you experiencing?

I am trying to decide between a 2007 SE and a limited.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You're like me, not a lot of miles per week. You're probably filling up about 2 time per month. Instead of checking your milage each time you fill up, check it at your fill up near 1,000 mile intervals.
  • Options
    Actually I work on an offshore drilling platform. Home only 2 weeks a month so fueling up is as of now a monthly thing. I have logged all my fill-ups and I find the mileage meter is pretty darn accurate.
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    Wish mine would go up! I currently average between 20-20.5 mpg around town with 20,000 on the odometer on the 4-cylinder GLS.

I just completed my second oil change since owning her as well! :)
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I have logged all my fill-ups and I find the mileage meter is pretty darn accurate.

Mine has always been very accurate. Usually within .5mpg.

I have 6700 miles on our GLS V6, and mileage is still creeping upward. We're beginning to see more 29mpg than 28mpg on the trip computer. That's not bad for 70% highway / 30% suburban driving.
  • Options
    What Maintainence schedule do you follow?. Perhaps if you changed your Oil every 3,000 or 7,500 miles you would get better mileage, and have the Warranty protection. Forgive me if I have misunderstood something. They don't offer the warranty Program without serious strings attached...
  • Options
    I just stuck my comment in there because we had been going back and forth previously about the oil change thing in the beginning of August. I would improve my gas mileage if I changed my driving habits a bit...

Without rehashing the entire topic I will say I change my oil every 10,000 miles, or once per year, whichever comes first. You can change your oil every 3,000, 5,000 or 7,500..whatever you prefer. Your engine will be in no better shape than mine in the end. As for warranty coverage unless I have a sludge city forming in the engine the oil change interval will never come up if/when I need warranty service. It is about the same as the argument against wearing seatbelts because if you are in a fire you cannot get out of the car. The chances are so remote is it even worth mentioning?
  • Options
    --"I change my oil every 10,000 miles, or once per year, whichever comes first."--

Are you using a full synthetic motor oil?
  • Options
    Yes, I have been using Mobil 1 with 10,000 mile oil change intervals since the late eighties. I know from getting an oil analysis done from time over the past 20 years I could extend the interval out a bit...probably to 15k, but it is easier to remember if I do it about the same time each year...which happens to put me around 10k.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
  • Options
    --"Yes, I have been using Mobil 1 with 10,000 mile oil change intervals since the late eighties."--

Thanks for responding. Mobil 1 is a fine lube, and its superior additive package and its ability to handle heat and neutralize oxidation products over extended intervals certainly allows for what amounts to conservative oil change intervals as you practice them. With no attempt at disuading you, nor anyone else who prefers using full synthetics, please suffer a comparison by someone who subscribes to the 3K oil change regimen. Your yearly routine results in an out-of-pocket annual cost of approximatley $25.00 for oil plus the cost of a filter if you'll accept my guess that you're paying ~$5.00/quart and your sump accepts ~5 quarts. I put about 9,000 miles on my Sonata annually. I'm running 5 quarts through the use of an (unauthorized) oversize spin-on (Purolator-made Pep Boys "ProLine" PPL14619) oil filter (about $2.70 each at Pep Boys) on my '03 Sonata's 2.7L V6. My out of pocket cost for the Phillips 66 TropArtic 10W-30 oil I picked up at Dollar Tree, pre-Katrina (84 quarts as I "shopped" three different Dollar Trees while the chain was closing this brand out), is five dollars per oil change, plus $2.70 for the filter times three oil changes per year - $23.10 yearly. On the downside (literally - :)), I'm crawling under my car three times as often as you do (if you do your own oil changes). But, I'm draining dirt out of my engine three times as often, too. (Oil filters have a finite limit on the particle size and the overall amount of dirt they can trap. The level of wear that occurs due to dirt, acid, and oxidation insolubles which build up over extended OCIs is not linear, either.) You might sustain a further cost hit if you have to add makeup oil over the course of your 10K mile OCIs. So far, my Sonata's V6 hasn't used any measurable amount of oil according to the dipstick over my 3K mile OCIs. I don't doubt your contention that your motor will last every bit as long under your regimen as motors in which a lesser quality oil is changed out more often. There are those who argue that the use of synthetic oil is "greener" since less of a limited supply natural resource is involved. But, let's look at a larger reality, too. Synthesizing PAOs and esters (the predominant synthetic base oil components in Mobil 1) is an energy-intensive, multi-step process as evidenced by the higher unit cost at point of purchase. Both conventional and synthetic fluids ultimately derive from what comes out of the ground and, hopefully, both are being returned to recycling centers after they've served their purpose in our motors. Previously, the recycled product was only used as boiler fuel, but many oil refiners are actively encouraging its return to the refinery where it's severely hydrotreated back into "new", highly refined, paraffinic base oil product. I guess what I'm saying is that we "quick-changers" really aren't the enemy - there're valid arguments to both approaches.
  • Options
    grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    There was an interesting story on Motorweek that dealt with extended OCI. They said often times people do not change the oil filter which have a "life expectancy" of 5K. But now many manufacturers are making oil filters that can last the duration of synthetic oils.
  • Options
    williewiskerswilliewiskers Member Posts: 10
    I know this is odd thing to be saying, but if you want to see the best automobile ad ever made check it out. Type "Honda ad"
    on goggle and have fun.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Thanks! Now I see why those Accords cost thousands more $$$$ than a Sonata. ;) That ad must have cost big bucks!
  • Options
    I'm familiar with the episode with the explanation of extended oil drains you referenced that Pat Goss hosted on Motorweek. (I note that it was repeated this past weekend on PBS.) However, other experts, themselves associated with the automakers as well as motor oil blenders, are on record that oil filters aren't nearly as important now that motor oils are as strongly additized with detergent chemistry as they are these days. Full synthetics intended to survive extended oil change intervals are loaded with even more active additive. (For anyone contemplating a used oil analysis, the tip-off about remaining oil life is the "TBN" (total base number: a measure of alkalinity or detergency). The greater the numeric value, the higher the detergency factor. It decreases with use. Once the TBN reaches "1", the oil's active additive is considered exhausted. These other experts' reasoning is that the insolubles that are formed by partially oxidized fuel and oil molecules are held in suspension in the oil as sub-micron particles that pass freely through even the most efficient filtration media. (Even a premium oil filter such as a Mobil 1, Purolator ONE, or K&N won't effectively filter particulates smaller than ~5 microns - and even then may take several passes through the filter before they're finally snagged.) Particles this small are too small to impact bearing life - they're literally small enough that they just "bounce" harmlessly back and forth in the oil film against bearing surfaces because they're too small to become trapped between those surfaces and grind metal. I'm not saying oil filters are a useless appendage - there'll always be the larger stray chunk of crud that needs to be elliminated. What I am saying is that most filters that find their way into recycling bins still have plenty of life left in them. (Having said that, I continue to change my oil filter at each oil change, too. New filters are just too cheap to needlessly economize on. But, if I were a synthetic user, I'd use a standard quality filter right on out to 10,000 miles without giving the matter a second thought.)
  • Options
    Have used Mobil 1 in my car for 5years. Recently took a trip to Santa Rosa, Ca. and blu a head gasket. Drove home to LA, a trip of 550 miles, while stopping several times to add antifreeze. As the little pig said, I barley made it by the hair of my chin-e-chin-chin. So it does work, especialy when you need it.
  • Options
    The type of motor oil in the sump had nothing to do with arriving back home by periodically topping up the coolant along the way. I hope you're aware, also, that regardless of the type of oil you use, after contamination with coolant, the oil must be drained and replaced to avoid further main and connecting rod bearing erosion and accelerated camshaft bearing and lobe wear. Ethylene glycol displaces motor oil and has extremely poor lubrication properties.
  • Options
    Yor're right Ray. Thats why I had the engine replaced.
  • Options
    Maded the move and got a 06 Sonata. Love it. I plan to use Mobil synthetic. Has anyone made the same move? How did it work out. Any answers, please. Thanks