Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

1146147148149150152»

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Cam chain tensioner?
  • marmaddmarmadd Member Posts: 2
    Pardon my ignorance, but are you referring to the timing chain tensioner? That was one suggestion from another source, but if it was the tensioner, wouldn't the ticking/rattling be nonstop? Mine only seems to be happening after the car has warmed up a bit and during acceleration.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Sorry, I reverted to Italian there for a second. Timing chain tensioner is correct. My experience with a Chain tensioner is that it is not continuous.

When someone mentions "rattle", assuming nothing is actually loose, I always suspect the chain tensioner.

Wasn't there a Hyundai TSB on this?
  • dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2011
    I realize this is a Sonata forum (I own one), but I thought some of the posters from the Genesis Sedan related forums, not excluding the "H bashers" (one even drove an Azera) would be interested to see this:

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2011/01/13/2012-hyundai-grandeur-5g-gets-3- - -0l-gdi-v6-theta-engine/

I was impressed to see the new 3.0 GDI V6. Didn't even know it was in the works. It gets 270 hp, not blown: only 4 under the turbo 2.4 GDI. Can you imagine what it could do when turbo charged? And...that would mean that the Genesis sedan's 3.8 is due for a makeover: maybe to 3.3/3.5, with GDI and turbo. Since the upcoming 5.0 liter mill is slated for 412 HP, and the current 3.8 gets 290, I think we can make reasonable speculations, like....

The G37 currently produces 328 HP.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    BTW, I've seen this mistake quite a number of times now, even in the automotive press, so to set the record straight... the turbo GDI 4-cyl that produces 274-bhp in the Sonata and Kia Optima is a 2.0-L engine, not a 2.4-L.
  • immigrantimmigrant Member Posts: 1
    Hi ,
    I just want to know if I need to change the gear box oil filter of my 4 cylinders Hyundai Sonata periodically or not??

I would be grateful if an expert answers me.
    Thanks,

Immigrant
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    No need to worry about the filter on this car.
  • jmcnyjmcny Member Posts: 3
    My husbands car just got towed in and we got the call that the engine seized.

He gets regular oil changes and now has to prove that he did. Even with those records then the service manager has to approve it and then send it to Hyundai to see if they will even honor the warranty! They said if they don't honor the warrany it will cost us ballpark between 4,000-6,000 to fix it!!! No warning lights of any kind came on, car just died on the road. He is going today to hopefully get a print out of his oil change records. Right now he has one stating he had an oil change done in August of 2010 at one place but has to get the rest of his records at Valvoline. The car at this point is almost not even worth the repairs. I should note that the car did have oil when it seized but it was low. The tow guy said the oil did not smell burnt. Husband does say he probably was due at this point for one, but really so quickly the engine seizes. I know people that are lazy about their cars and just go on a whim and no problems. We do not have this kind of money to just pay to get it fixed and of course our dealership does not have any payment plan options. Basically the girl said in a nice way you can't get your car back until bill is paid in full. I am so confused and stressed at this point.

Any advice would be wonderful, yet I have a feeling I will get alot of SOL's

Thanks for reading

J
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    edited June 2011
    I will be the first to say not SOL... BUT that it seems way too soon for an engine to seize given it is a 2007 car. You did not mention mileage but since modern cars from any manufacturer can go more than 200,000 miles with minimum maintenance the mileage is probably not a big issue or at least not as big an issue as it would have been in the distant past. So, although I have never personally had an engine seize I am a car guy and in general this does not happen without ample warnings in the form of odd/bad smells, noise (knocking of main/rod bearings), warning lights light all over the dash ( low oil pressure, which is that little "oil can" icon.....high engine water temperature usually displayed on a gage). One usually knows something bad is about to happen sometimes with hours, even days, notice. So, if the engine did in fact seize and did in fact gently expire without drama it would be in my opinion unusual. Have the damage verified as an total seizure not some other lesser (cheaper) type of failure. Depending on the mileage there may be some remaining Hyundai drivetrain warranty left. If that is the case and you can satisfy them you did at least semi-routine oil changes and other basic maintenance AND upon engine teardown a part that should have lasted decades and/or hundreds of thousands of miles failed early you may have a warranty claim. No car that new "would not be worth fixing" . At the least you can find a low mileage engine in a salvage yard and have it installed. If it is really gone (seized) that would probably be the best way to address the issue. OK I reread the post and I guess you know about the warranty, but unless you have "all your ducks in a row" with regard to oil change and other maintenance receipts it may get sticky. The quote from Hyundai sounds like a new long block which is esentially a new engine but transferring your current power-steering pump, Ac compressor, alternator etc over to that new engine for reuse. I am pretty sure you can get a used low mileage engine and have it installed for far less than $5000-6000
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Two ways this could go in your favor:

1) You get records from Valvoline showing regular oil changes. If less than 100k miles and you are the original owner, should be open/shut case for Hyundai to honor the warranty, unless...

2) Hyundai can trace the problem to something amiss with the last oil change, causing oil to leak and the seize. In which case Valvoline Rapid Oil Change should pay for the engine.
    Thanks for your reply target, he has 38,000 miles on the car and no he did not get one warning that something was wrong with the car. He is not the type to ignore any issues with his car.

Basically, he said he heard a clicking sound and then the car was real slow at accelerating and then all the lights when on in the dash and died. Within minutes it was over. No oil light on or check engine light NOTHING!!

We got a call today and they seem to be blaming the oil as the issue of why it seized. They put in a claim with Hyundai and now we have to wait to hear if they are going to accept it. I was told we have to wait for an investigator to come out to either approve or deny. Which means we are down to one car in the family for god knows how long. No rental offered! Was told Hyundai and Suburu do not offer that service. Sigh.....

I think are plan is if there is no warranty coverage that we will just take it to someone we know and get a salvage motor for hopefully alot cheaper. Dealerships seem to charge alittle to much.

Live and learn I guess!!

Thanks again!

J
    Thanks Backy

We shall see, we are the original owners so hopefully they can see that they are consistant with our oil changes.

Though of course he can't call for the most current because they went out of business and they don't have a web site to call and get a copy like Vavoline does.

Crossin my fingers it works out!

Thanks again!

J
    So hopefully you saved the receipts from your oil changes. Or they put a little sticker in your window with the date and mileage.

It's always a good idea to keep all service receipts. They come in handy when you sell the car--new owners want to see the car was maintained. And they are useful for other reasons, like, uh... this.
  • lorraine1966lorraine1966 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Sonata with 113K miles on it. (Hubby put 500 miles on it a week for a couple of years while commuting from Methuen to Wellsley). Engine developed a ticking noise-brought it in & was told engine holding all oil-not leaking-noise "could" be a lifter getting stuck. Was told it'd be okay to drive. Next day I was on highway for 2 minutes & noise got louder & louder & then lost power; pulled over & oil leaking from bottom of engine. Had it towed back to garage & was told I needed a new engine. Is there anyone else out there who has had an issue with a ticking noise? And it led to having to replace engine?? I still owe $7K on car-don't have the $$ to replace engine-Warranty gone @ 100K. Now what?!
    Where did you get the diagnosis on "OK to drive"? Was it in writing? Hopefully it was. You could go back there and see what they might do to help you, since they obviously mis-diagnosed the problem. If it's an honest shop (and has insurance!), they might cover the repair or at least part of it.
  • hyundaiguy3hyundaiguy3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 V6 Hyundai Sonata. The ESC Light illuminates at different times. Sometimes it stays on for long periods of time, other times it will not come on. I took it to a Hyundai dealership and there were no error codes. I have driven it this way for months and it drives just fine. I have noticed as it gets cold weather, the ESC light comes on immediately. The dealership told me to bring it in and they would see what was causing this but for $52. If it's driving fine, should I still make an appt and figure out the problem? Any help or suggestions?
    My wife's 2007 Sonata GLS 2.4L AT just turned 5. We've owned it since Black Friday 2009 (purchased off a lease). It has just under 56k miles now. It's been a great car for us: smooth highway cruiser, good fuel economy (when driven right, see below), roomy and comfortable even on cross-country trips, and reliable. Only two small problems: driver's power recliner switch failed, and sun visors that wouldn't stay up. Both fixed under warranty. Also the center brake light burned out, which can happen but it's probably the hardest (most expensive) bulb on the car to fix. Had a turn signal burn out too but that was easy to fix myself.

About fuel economy: when I drive the car, I have no problem exceeding its EPA ratings except in very cold weather with short trips. It will get 34-35 mpg highway under ideal conditions. However, my wife struggles to get over 20 mpg. She does mostly short trips and has a lead foot. Also she likes to leave the engine running while waiting for our daughter at school.

The car has held up well except for the problems I mentioned. Interior (light grey cloth) is still like new, paint is glossy except has accumulated several scratches and a few small dings, and there's no rattles/squeaks (except makeup etc. in the door handle pocket rattling around). Brakes are original and at last servicing still had a lot of life left. I do wash the car frequently in winter (lots of road salt used in my area) and make sure they lube the sliders about once a year.

I priced the car on KBB today and it's worth about $1000 less in a private party sale than what we paid for it 2-1/2 years ago. And if it were in Excellent condition (i.e. take care of the scratches/dings), it would be very close to what we paid. We'll probably keep it for another 4 years or so, assuming it holds up as well as it has so far.
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    I think my 2006 Sonata GLS V6 is up for tire replacement. Original Michelin Energy tires have run 48,500 miles. I am trying to decide between 2 options. Option 1 is Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, Just Tires quoted $690 for set of 4, alignment, balancing, rebates and tax included. Option 2 is Yokohama AS530, NTB quoted $632 for set of 4, alignment, balancing, rebates and tax included. What do you guys think? Tia.
  • steveyg82steveyg82 Member Posts: 1
    The problem is the controller arm and bushing that cause the ESC OFF light to Illuminate. When the bushings and controller arm are worn out, it puts the tires out of alignment which causes the ESC OFF Electronic Stability Control light to turn on. Go to Mavis to do free diagnostic check and do not go to the dealer. I already spent $811.40 dollars with the dealer to replace them. I normally do not go to the dealer but the ESC light i though was a defect. Parts online are cheap but you need to know which parts to replace...Hope this helps.
  • seeunseeun Member Posts: 3
    Mine is 2006 Sonata GLS with 72,000, which has been trouble with oil pan. I visited local Tire plus and Hyundai dealershop to fix this problem. After 6 months later, it happened again. I don't know what I should do...
  • mfisher1mfisher1 Member Posts: 2
    Do not buy a Hyundai under any circumstances. they do not honor their warranty and do everything they can to avoid coverage.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    We have owned numerous hyundais and had warranty work done without problem.
    Same here, with 3 Hyundais. I've even had stuff that was pretty clearly abuse e.g. breaking off a visor mirror cover handled under warranty w/o question. The only thing I ever had denied was a clutch failure. The dealer said they took the transmission apart and everything pointed to the clutch being broken from abuse. I thought that was B.S., until I talked to my wife and oldest son, both of whom drove that car also. They admitted to "hard" shifting the car numerous times. :sick:
  • donpjtdonpjt Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I am trying to repair the power window on the rear right side of my 2007 sonata se. It has come off the tracks and so it slides down. I've removed the door panel, unlocked all the screws, removed the motor and done everything. However I am not able to remove the panel which takes out the entire assembly.

This is because I am not able to remove the glass off the regulator assembly where it is fastened. I removed the permatex screw and have tried pulling the glass out of the regulator assembly, but i am not able to pull it out. After all the effort I've made I really want to get this final part done. Can someone please help me out. Thanks in advance