Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    In the 4/3/06 edition of Autoweek just out, they have their 1st quarter report on their long term Sonata LX test vehicle. Here's a few excerpted comments:

"Bottom line--no problems"

"...that easily compares to the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, a couple of mainstays in the industry."

"...we describe the interior as functional and handsome, and we're impressed with the fit-and-finish."

"...We're finding the Sonata's drive suprisingly competent, its V6 and automatic smooth and powerful."

"...no negatives to report and we're saying things like we would recommend one to a friend who was looking in this market."

Coming from a magazine that normally is pretty hard on vehicles that are somewhat less than sports car-like, that seems like surprisingly favorable comments. They also have a review of the Ford Fusion in their Autofile section and it is looked on favorably also. ;)
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Posts: 698
    Yes, the Sonata is a NO BRAINER.

And in the next few days/weeks you'll find some really NEAT little, subtle features that may not even be mentioned in the manual, that you'd really like... Little things that nobody at Toyota or Honda bothered to think about, or was caring enough.

See, Hyundai needs to do things BETTER ("We try harder" the genius slogan Avis used when competing against giant Hertz), and they sure seem to do those things RIGHT....
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Posts: 245
    Congratulation on your new half priced lexus purchase. I am confident that you will be the Hyundai lover from now on. I am enjoying my LX Sonata everyday. Its like a drug, I can not stand not to drive everyday now. If I drive my wife's MDX or Integra whole day, I drive out my LX Sonata at night. So, I can enjoy my LX even for a short time at least. Welcome to this forum.

BTW, can you share your 07 Camry test drive experience?
    Y did you like Camry more than Sonata? Just curious.
    Thank you.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    BTW, can you share your 07 Camry test drive experience? Y did you like Camry more than Sonata? Just curious.

Let's ask moe99 to join us in the Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread to talk about that. Since that discussion already has that subject on the table, that would be better than diverting this dedicated Sonata discussion.

And maybe moe99 would like to join a discussion in which you have copied and pasted his post. ;)
  • tomw6tomw6 Posts: 10
    Just had the transaxle/transmission in my '06 Sonata replaced by Hyundai dealer. Transmission that came from Hyundai was a REBUILT. Surprised me. Thought it would be new!! Does anyone out there know whether this rebuilt tranny is a normal procedure or am I somehow being shafted? Or where I could find out? Please help if you can. Any similar experiences?
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    Transmission that came from Hyundai was a REBUILT.

Do you have any written proof?
    Some parts may have been defective, and they refurbished it... if any! It's as good as new, until it failed again.

All manufacturers use refurbished parts which didn't make it the first time. They are not going to throw away a complete transmission/engine if it can be restored.

You still get the 10/100,000 Warranty on drive train.

So what? they replaced it, didn't they!
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    Maybe rebuilt is better than new original type if they made the original ones defective. Maybe the rebuild includes some improvement?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    In something that complex there are always going to be some bad samples.
  • "Does anybody out there know whether this rebuilt tranny is normal procedure..."

Let me see how close I can come. I have an 04 Amanti that just had a carrier-bearing in the differential fail. The transmission is the 5AT behind the 3.5 V-6.

The tech report says: Pt Descr: REMAN AUT ($868.14) I interpret this to mean REMANUFACTURED AUTOMATIC, which I'm sure is the same as "rebuilt".

I went in on Monday, and I got it back the next day Tues.
    The replacement is indistinguishable from original. And, it returned to my normal shift-pattern within the first 50 shifts, or so.

Chances are, your replacement unit will serve you just fine.
  • vchiuvchiu Posts: 565
    This maybe one reason, but not the major one IMHO, otherwise why are Buick Regal models much cheaper than The Sonata there? I even bought a locally made Honda FIT which is CHEAPER than the US model with comparable specs.
    I run a business in China and can tell you it is possible to pay little tax, depends on how things are set-up. There is a heavy import tax on imported cars though. Heard it was close to 100%.

Honda Accord/ Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata are seen as premium cars in China. the makers therefore make huge margin to keep their image high. otoh, the price war is much more aggressive in smaller cars.
  • vchiuvchiu Posts: 565
    On imported cars, yes
    On locally made, not that much. I was only mentioning locally made modeles.
    For example, an imported 2.4 camry is USD55K....
    From july on, locally made camry will cost up to USD35K

an imported S350 is roughly sold for 150K USD...
  • carfaxcarfax Posts: 43
    My transmission acted up at 55k in my 2000 sonata and they replaced it with a rebuilt and it has 25k on it and no problems. Being still under warranty they just replaced it with out questions asked. Hyundai cars don't have a transmission problem like some other manufactures do and i suspect a sensor or solenoid was faulty in your tranny. They could have just replaced either part and sent you on your way and hope nothing else goes wrong with it. A rebuilt has all new parts replaced in it and the only part that is old is the outside housing in most cases. A new car like yours might only have the sensor or what ever is wrong with it replaced and sent out to the next person with a tranny problem. The rebuilt are checked out better then the new ones and tested individually so you don't have problems a second time. You still have full warranty so enjoy your new car and don't worry about it. I know it is very frustrating when a tranny or motor goes on a new vehicle, but Hyundai doesn't have a lot of these problems and i hope this is the last major one you have.
  • ckellerckeller Posts: 6
    I have sonata lx v6 with 8000 miles on it.I will be taking
    to the dealer mon.besides the very expensive 7500 mile
    service.I have a vibration in the seat and steering wheel
    when stopped at a light,to a lesser degree when not in gear.
    Has anyone else had this kind of problem and what did you do,or where can I get info

ckeller
    The 7500 mile service should not be "very expensive"--nothing more than an oil change and a few inspections. What does your dealer charge for it and what do they include in it--anything beyond what the manual recommends?
    they want $175 for the service which is oil change,tire rotate and inspections

ckeller
    Highway robbery. Most dealers include a set of inspections in a full-service oil change. Do you know any other good mechanics you could take your car to? Or call around to other Hyundai dealers.
    they claim it needs special oil 5w20 plus a very costly
    filter.Onedealer said it needed synthic another dealer same
    name diff.location said petrolem base oil is what they use

ckeller
    As Backy said "highway robbery". Check you owner's manual for the required services at 7500 miles. You will find that what is required is minimal. If you must take your Sonata to this particular dealer, do not allow them to do anything but the oil change, tire rotation, and only the "required inspections" listed in your manual, not what they are trying to pad your bill with. There are still a great number of dealer's service depts (all car makes, not just Hyundai) that will try to lead you to pay for unnecessary inspections and services under the guise "it's required for you warranty". As far as that goes, you can take your vehicle to another garage, shop, etc (or even do it yourself), and your warranty will still be valid as long as you can document and verify the work done. My .02. ;)
    If you have the V6, the oil filter is a cartridge style and can be bought at many Hyundai dealers at approx. $12-15. It does not require any "special" oil and if you want to run synthetic oil, go buy it at WalMart, AutoZone, etc and do it yourself.

You can get the oil filter here for $10.95 and shipping:

Oil Filter
  • Had the same problem today. The gauge showed approx.half full so I filled up the car at the neighborhood gas station. The gauge didn't move and still showed half-full. When the car was turned off the gauge fell to the bottom, as was expected, but returned to half-full when car was started up again. This is similar to problem reported in message 1926. Anyone have this problem? What was the cause? I'll see if the problem rectifies itself before going to the dealer.
    they claim that this engine needs diff service than my 03
    sonata lx did.but my big concern is the vibration in seat
    and steering wheel when stopped at a light.I have had it to
    another dealer for this problem and they think Iam nuts.
    But friends who ride with me say i am correct.I just hate to go in and have say i don't have a problem.If this happens i will trade the car and never buy the azera or any other hyundai again.
    ckeller
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    Do you use the same Gas Station... it could be contaminated fuel. Try a different station/grade and see if the problem goes away!
    Just a thought!
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Posts: 698
    V6 engines should not have ANY vibrations at idle speed. The 4 cyl. have SOME (like mine), which is the nature of 4 cyl. engines. But not the 6.

You need to check it and fix it. It may be a faulty fuel injector. Or yes, it might be bad gas....
    Could also be something like a bad hydraulic motor mount. In any case, it's not normal. The V6 engine on the Sonata LX I drove was glass-smooth at idle and on the road.
  • djdublmdjdublm Posts: 19
    Im looking to find a set of 2006 LX wheels i currently have a 2006 GLS 4cyl with the 16inch rims and like the look of the 17"s any help would be appreciated..
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    dj, someone will probably trade you straight up. Quite a few people like the 16's because they ride a little quieter and smoother.
    Hyundai has just posted their incentives for April.

April Incentives

The rebate on the V6 is now $2000, the financing rebate on the Sonata is $1000 with advertised interest rates of 2.9% to 4.9%. The valued owner rebate is down to $500. There is a lease offer of $199/mo on all Sonata GLS models and a "see your dealer" on the LX.

And Backy, $1000 rebate on all 2006 Accents! ;)
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    17.5K units moved - Nice!!!

:)
    Great deals on those V6s! It's clear Hyundai is trying to move those. Only $1000 total incentives on the I4s.

Do you realize that if you can get invoice pricing on a GLS V6, that puts the price at $16,331 and 2.9% financing for 60 months if you take HMFC's financing and qualify for the loyalty rebate? Wow. That means for just a few hundred bucks more than an invoice + rebates deal on a GLS I4 (no options), you can get a fully loaded GLS V6 with moonroof, power seat, 17" alloys, and Homelink.

There was $1000 on the Accent last month too... they need to add a loyalty rebate! :)
  • johnap2johnap2 Posts: 105
    A common misconception is invoice price is a good deal. The dealer is still making plenty of money at invoice (not true dealer cost) price. Always start negotiations at true dealer cost, not invoice :D