Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• cajuncyclercajuncycler Posts: 172
    I beg to differ with you. I purchased my 2006 GLS Sonata in June of 06 and it indeed came with a flat wing type spoiler on it. My car has 6200 miles on it now and the only problem I have had was the replacement of one ABS ESC sensor on the left rear wheel. It was a warranty item. Sorry to include two different topics but I don't post here often.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Then, you better contact the dealer immediately to get this taken care of.
  • This is my last post. My 2006 Sonata LX has been in the shop 1.5 hours for every hour it has been driven. This is a car, not a military helicopter. First Hyundai, last Hyundai.
  • jal012773jal012773 Posts: 63
    Here is what I know as fact. When researching the '06 Sonata on both Hyundai America web site and Edmunds, a rear spoiler was never mentioned as an accessory. My dealer even confirmed that Hyundai does not offer a spoiler for this car. A lot of dealers, however, do put aftermarket spoilers some cars in order to help sell them. Your spoiler was probably put on by the dealer because they know a spoiler really makes a car. If Hyundai Motor Co. does in fact offer a spoiler specifically designed for the Sonata, then I stand corrected.
  • randysrandys Posts: 4
    I live in Canada and I just bought a 2007 Sonata (my 4th Hyundai) and I just noticed something very weird - there appears to be 2 'patches' at the bottom of the back doors between the door and the rear wheel well on both sides of the car. Hardly noticable except when the car gets dirty.

Anyone seen this? Any idea why they're there? I haven't been back to the dealership but I thought I'd see if anyone can explain before going in.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Sonata Spoiler

You stand corrected. ;)
  • The '07 Sonata Limited with platinum package comes with a factory spoiler. On other models it's either dealer installed or is available for order in your vehicle's color from Hyundai.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    These "patches" are made of what material? I have a Honda Civic that has clear vinyl "patches" in that exact location. They are there for stone chip protection because that area is prone to them.
    They match the colour of the body so they could very well be clear. Stone chip prevention was my first thought but I figured I'd better check it out just in case. In case of what I wasn't sure but since I'd never seen this before I had to ask.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 ChicagoPosts: 700
    We all would be very interested to read what has been happening with your LX, oldvulture. Especially since there have been VERY few serious complaints about the new generation Sonata...

Can you tell us some more?
  • peggy5peggy5 Posts: 3
    I went to purchase an 06 Hyundai Sonata GLS. I found that when I was driving down the highway the glare off the shelf beneath the instrument panel was so awful I could not read the panel. It was wavy and absolutely could not be read. I am going to go back with someone else and drive it again but it wasn't my eyes!! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Sounds like a bait post to me. No issues posted, no intent to discuss it further. Inflamatory final statement "last post-last Hyundai" stuff. Well alrighty then!!!
    I actually checked out that poster's past posts here, and he had 2 minor issues, which -- as I understand -- were solved, one of them was poor AM reception...
  • jal012773jal012773 Posts: 63
    I do stand corrected. :blush: I also do remember that spoiler now, but also remember thinking it too understated for my taste. Barely noticeable. This is the one I chose for my black '06 Sonata. http://www.spoilerexpress.com/images/06Sonata80L-web.jpg

I'm interested to see what they have done for '07 Limited.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Posts: 139
    I have it on my '06 GLS and I believe it's on all of the Sonatas. It's probably exactly what targettuning said, stone chip protection.
    Thanks - I assume it probably is - now I can sleep at night.
  • grutzagrutza Posts: 52
    I don't own a sonata, but if you had polarized sunglasses on and the instrument panel is polarized it can cause a wavy and/or rainbow effect and/or total black out. I don't know if this was the cause but it could be.
    NEVER heard or read about this kind of a problem before, not with the new generation Sonata, at least...... It actually sound very weird... Are you sure this is a Sonata, you're driving?

Now if you were talking about the '03-'07 ACCORD, than I would respond with "welcome to the club"...
  • krikakrika Posts: 49
    Suddenly, the airbag light turned on and is staying on after the car has started. I am taking it to the dealer soon. But just wanted to know, is this something serious?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Posts: 420
    Serious, yes. It means your airbag is not going to work. Get it to the dealer ASAP for your safety.
    Are referring to the PASSENGER AIR BAG light, or the one on your instrument panel?

The first lights up whenever there is no passenger seated there, or a young passenger who weights under 110lb (I think), which is a Federal requirement safety feature.

If it's the 2nd, you better see your dealer soon. Probably a relay is loose or melfunctioning.
  • morty66morty66 Posts: 9
    My trip computer is always like 2 mpg high. Should I mention this to the service department. Also I can't get better than 27 or 28 mpg. I have a '95 sedan which is rated 18/26. This gets around 25 to 27 mpg during the summer. I do mainly highway driving at 50 to 55 mph with no stoplights. My Sonata is rated 24/33 and only gets a couple of mpg better. I've had it for 7 months. I'm kind of disappointed. How many miles do I need to get on the car before the gas mileage increases? Hopefully this isn't the best that it can do.
  • dadof6dadof6 Posts: 61
    Currently have 25k on the odometer. The mpg topped out at about 15,000 miles & has held steady since. My trip computer has always been within 1 mpg. I double check it now & again. We get 36 mpg @ 65 mph 100% hiway,
    30 mpg @ 75 mph 100% hiway. Daughter drives 100% in town gets 17 mpg. I have driven as far as 505 miles on 1 tank then the gas light came on. We always use cruise control & keep tires at 35psi.
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    My guess is a lot of people don't realize that cruise control does not necessarily increase fuel economy when compared to careful use of their right feet. What is does is to make driving much easier and less tiresome. It also can help a typical driver avoid speeding tickets if set properly. It also helps to keep trips to the minimum time.
    But for maximum fuel economy, a car driven carefully by a light-footed driver will usually get better mileage if the terrain is anything other than entirely flat and straight and dry. But that foot operated car probably take longer to get there.
    Ask an over the road trucker. Many of them are very skillful in stretching a gallon.
  • dadof6dadof6 Posts: 61
    I agree that in theory & practice the statement you made about cruise vs non cruise use is true but in the real world people don't have the discipline you speak of.
    OK, problem SOLVED. Here, for future reference, for anybody complaining about a WHINING ENGINE:

The culprit was my Power Steering Pump. I was not able to make my own dealer agree to the existence of the noise (most dealers are just "deaf" and/or "dumb" when it comes to warranty work...), so I found an exceptionally good Hyundai dealership (Liberty Auto in Libertyville, IL) who was able to hear it very quickly, and after some testing found it to be the Power Steering Pump. Once it was replaced -- THE CAR IS NOW FREE OF ANY WHINING, WHEEZING OR (slow speed) MOANING...

Hallelujah .
  • canman99canman99 Posts: 6
    I lost one of the remotes to my 2006 Sonata.I can find replacements on the internet but they need to be programmed by A dealership or auto locksmith.Anybody have any idea of the cost to get one programmed?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's great! Thanks for the report, it's bound to be helpful to others.