Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    I was the at-fault driver. The amount of my negotiated original purchase price prior to taxes and tags, as well as the insurance settlment were as stated. My adjuster (GEICO) told me at the time that they typically pay out the full replacement value - what they anticipate I'd pay a dealer for the same model and year car with similar mileage at a lot, rather than "low book". (though my Accord was six years old, it had clocked fewer than 30,000 miles) You're free to believe what you wish, and I'm free to wish you a "nice day". I'll continue posting and, since I identify myself with my real name, you shouldn't have any trouble at all avoiding reading my posts in the future. Oh, and while we're on the subject of veracity, I wonder how many forumners routinely take insurance salesmen's statements at face value. ;)
  • jojoejojoe Member Posts: 81
    "My '96 Accord was banged up worse and I walked away from it, too. So, does that mean the 2006 Sonata with side-curtain airbags has caught up with 9-year old Accords without side-curtain airbags in terms of occupant protection? Model for model, Accords are lighter weight than Sonatas, too."

So whats your point? Nobody is stating that Honda can't take a punch.Your acting like the post about Sonata going in the right direction for the safety issues was made to tick off Honda owners.No need to get so defensive , nobody mentioned anything about the ineptness of the safety features of Hondas.The post was about Sonata going in the right direction.You are blowing things way out of porportion.We all know there are other cars that can take a good punch also,but this is about the Sonata and many folks have wondered how safe the new car is,especially when Hyundai was quoted as saying the car would have a 5 star rating for safety.This accident in China has shown they just might be right and has given myself and others more confidence in this new model.Also its nice to hear that your Honda is a very safe vehicle also. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is getting personally confrontive and that is inappropriate.

If you don't believe someone, just ignore their posts. If someone says something that seems offensive to you, you need to email a host for assistance.

Let's just stick to the Sonata and leave the opinions of each other out of this.

Thanks.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Thank you , I had a nice day on the golf course.

OK, your car was really smashed up, that's what I was asking. Fortunately you came out of it OK. (You know some people on these forums tend to exagerate).

The description of the accident makes me believe the insurance company of the other guy gave you top dollar + in order to get a release of any and all liability. It wasn't entirely based on the fair market value of your car. As I said earlier, name one mass produced make/model that retains 70% of its cost new after 6 years.
    The 2006 is the first Sonata that's actually competitive in occupant safety. That's good. But people here are treating the news like it's ... well, NEWS. I merely pointed out that the new Sonata's competitive safety rating is welcome but too long overdue. (Who's defensive? ;))
  • sensation2004sensation2004 Member Posts: 11
    Newsweek

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9014320/site/newsweek/

Watch the video clip. :P
    Thanks for posting back. Just to be clear, my insurance company (GEICO) payed my loss. Sorry for the smart-a## reference about insurance salesmen - I over-reacted at the public inference about my personal integrity. (Yeah, I was a lousy driver, though.)
  • jhpmichealjhpmicheal Member Posts: 14
    Thats what my friend said to the new 06' Hyundai Sonata...
    As arrogant as my friend is, he ask a dealer to get a test drive and told him "I hope the car doesn't break down on me (laughs)." We really like to test drive cars, we'd just test drove VW GLI and showed off his fake new car to ppl. Now, this Sonata doesn't come with manual, but it goes faster than I expected, maybe faster than GLI. I do know GLI is turbo and all, but in my opinion Sonata has upper hand with better accessories, more power, more comfort, more warranty, and lower pricetag. But of course my friend denies it. But I only hope Hyundai makes some sporty cars that my friend can be proud of.
  • sjbsjb Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I've been lurking around these boards absorbing all I can about the 2006 Sonatas. Hubby and I have decided that we need a new car, and after lots of homework and test driving, we've decided on the 2006 Sonata.

We'll qualify for the 1k loyalty rebate (since we own a 2001 Sonata) and also the 1k financing rebate. The best internet quote I've gotten so far is $20,320 out the door for a GLS V6.

What do you guys think? Is that a good price?
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    You cannot simply conclude that the driver walked away from the crash because of the car's safety features. We were not given clear information on how the car was hit, at what angle and at what speed etc. The absence of information clearly shows that we cannot simply conclude that the Sonata's safety saved the driver's life.

Your debating style reminds me of a liberal; change the topic and don't stay with facts...just offer your opinion, however uniformed it may be.

Your debate has logic gaps. You cannot jump to the conclusion based on what you see in the pictures no matter how bad it looks.
    How can you reach such a broadbased conclusion without providing solid evidence.
    I am not trying to debate with you here, I am just pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.
  • vette58vette58 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks folks for all of the replies and discussions. There are more cars to drive, and much pondering to do before make a decision. I did like all the airbags in the Hyundai. My present vehicle is a Ford 150 and unsuitable for my needs. I have had many autos, some real clunkers that you said a prayer that they would get you home. The first car I bought I was advised not to purchase. It was a GM product, " Oh it's too expensive," "You will get killed driving that thing," "Get something sensible," "You will be sorry because there is a depression starting," etc. I never regretted it, enjoyed it for many, many years. That was the Cooool car. :shades: Those days are in the past, I surely had fun. I have couple of nice cars during the time I had it, the last one was totaled in 2000. I do need something economical and sensible. I have never had an accident, and love to drive. It is very important that I have something that will roll up the I-State at 70 -75, have something left to avoid trouble, and climb mountains a good clip. It will also be used to carry many older folks where thy need to go around town, so it needs comfort, and easy ingress and egress. If I were very wealthy, or expected I'd die soon I'd buy the best luxury auto around. Any thoughts about cars $25,000 or less that you really like, would you volunteer an opinion? It will be read and appreciated.
    Just go to Google and there you can paste in the copied post from the accident and they will translate it for you.Then you can read about the accident and comments about the car.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Hyundai Sonata on the road. I live in mid-South Dakota, there's not a Hyundai dealer anywhere near here. The closest Hyundai dealers are 220 miles to the east in Sioux Falls, SD, and 175 miles west, in Rapid City, SD. It would be well worth driving that far to get a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and have to drive that far back to visit the Hyundai dealer. The one I saw was jet black and the hot SD sun was shining off of it brilliantly. Nice car-smaller than I thought it would look in person.

That rear end design looks sweet-it is unique and handsome looking. The front looks great, this is a very cool looking Hyundai. I can't wait to hear how they're holding up mechanically for people. Coming from someone who's on their 2nd Kia in a row and someone who would definitely buy a Hyundai product, I'm quite sure these cars will hold up just fine for buyers. Enjoy! :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    I test drove a GL, V4, manual transmission 2006 Sonata today. The manual definitely adds more spirit to the ride than the automatic (which I test-drove last week). I thought the car was great, but am still a bit leery about buying the V4. All the newspaper/online reviews I see are based on the V6 (and automatic, of course, since there isn't a manual offered on the V6). Does anyone here own a 4 cylinder Sonata that could share what they think of it? And does anyone have a manual? The stick seemed fine, but would appreciate any comments about longer-term experiences with the manual.
  • ryandseryandse Member Posts: 51
    Just two months ago, I purchased a black 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS. I originally wanted the V6 LX trim, but it just wasn't available in my area at the time. That being said: when I first took the Sonata GLS 4-cylinder for a test-drive, I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance (as well as its confort and audio system). It was immediately obvious to me that this car has a very well designed transmission that manages to compensate for the fact that it doesn't quite have the same oomph as it's V6 cousin. The Shifttronic (a.k.a "manu-matic") feature is quite effective, as it will not auto. change gears (unless you attempt to over/under the rev the engine -- like flooring it in gear 1, for example). Of course, I definitely understand the appeal of having a stick, but I see Shifttronic as a better alternative (as the traffic over here in Silicon Valley can get pretty hairy sometimes). As far as the V6 vs inline-4 discussion goes: I would *like* to have a V6, but the better gas mileage, break in cost and how well the Sonata GLS 4-cyl performs: makes this a perfectly safe bet. I would honestly recommend though, that you consider the GLS: as it has alloy wheels, fog-lights, and a other nice touches (such as the cool looking fake aluminum trim around the controls). So, I would by no means be concerned by going with the 4-cylinder model (and fact, given the 4-cylinder model is made in the same Korean factory as this model of previous years: it might actually be an even *safer* bet). My 4-cyl GLS has definitely had the opportunity to prove itself. I've had it for only 2 months and I've already racked up over 4000 miles on the odometer. We took a nice trip down Highway 1 along California coast (from San Jose to Santa Barbara), not only have we not encountered a single glitch: the drive was very enjoyable. Plus, It's cool driving around in a car that looks 3 times more expensive than it is, and having folks "ohhing" and "ahhing" over it's styling (and this all happenned in a shopping center that is full of Audis, Beamers, and Benzos).

P.S. Some of you may have seen me post under the Infiniti G35 and Avalon 2005 message boards. Well, I ended up going for this car to save some cash. And one of my big hopes was to get something that is both reliable yet stands out - well, the Hyundai Sonata succeeds in both - in a very big way.
  • therealpotustherealpotus Member Posts: 42
    A few days ago, I raised a question as to differences between NHTSA and IIHS testing. Both crash test cars differently. (The various tests are explained on the sites.)

The past Sonata scored 4/5 in NHTSA tests, but was ranked POOR (the lowest possible) in IIHS tests. So when I hear Hyundai saying the car will be five star rated in front and side NHTSA tests, I'm still going to wait for the IIHS results. I think that's simply being prudent. (And if people contacted NHTSA and IIHS, maybe they'd test/hurry up testing the 2006 Sonata.)

By the way, I discovered two other great sites for understandable crash test data. Informed for Life puts the NHTSA and IIHS tests together in a quick and dirty 'score' so as to compare vehicles' relative safety. (2005 Sonata Results here).

Safer Car Guide lists test results from all over the world, allowing the user to click on the particular test results and go to the particular testing agency's result page. Again, one can see that the 2005 Sonata was pretty poorly rated.

My hope is that the 2006 Sonata passes all agency testing with flying colors. Not only would this be good for 2006 Sonata owners, but it would raise what the competition needs to do to sell cars. I'm hoping the 2006 Sonata is the poorer man's Volvo. (For all of Honda's hullabaloo about 'Safety for Everyone', they haven't felt active headrests are very important. Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of whiplash sufferers every year...)

While I'm at it, I'll throw in my two cents for changes Hyundai should make to the Sonata [and the upcoming Elantra, etc.]: Folding side mirrors; Daylight Running Lights; Optional reverse and front sensors; Air Bag Off switch for front passenger seat [if I'm carrying something other than a human in the front seat, I don't want the airbag going off!]; Radio/CD tuner selector on the steering wheel, not just volume select; Optional Navigation; Headrest for middle back seat [like all the German cars]. All of these fall under the SAFETY category.
    Is there an online owner's manual for the 2006 Sonata?

I think it would answer many questions and also promote desire among those of us on the fence.

HMS Service is a great site for bulletins, shop stuff, etc., but it doesn't seem to have an online owner's manual. (Wouldn't that be cool...)
    Does a manual transmission in any way diminish the effect of Electronic Stability Control (ESC)?

I'd think that if one happened to be driving an automatic, the computer could more easily adjust braking and engine speed than if one was driving a manual. (E.g., in manual, one might accidently or purposely put the car out of gear by pressing on the clutch during an emergency situation [e.g., ice, brake fluid on road, hydroplaning, emergency stopping], thus robbing the computer of the ability to control the car via engine speed.)

Thoughts? Answers?
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    Hyundai Sonata on the road. I live in mid-South Dakota, there's not a Hyundai dealer anywhere near here. The closest Hyundai dealers are 220 miles to the east in Sioux Falls, SD, and 175 miles west, in Rapid City, SD.

LOL What is wrong with me!?!? Now I feel low. ;) There are probably 10+ Hyundai dealers within 50 miles of me. I see probably see three or four previous generation Sonatas every day, yet not one 2006. Buy more Sonatas people! My envious ogling will boost your self-esteem! :D haha
  • perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the report! That helps a lot. I currently have a Kia Optima rental with "manumatic" that seems rather useless since it seems to up and downshift on its own a lot regardless of what you tell it, but it seems like the Sonata's is better than that. Seattle traffic certainly can be awful; an automatic would definitely be nicer in situations like that...
    And as the dealership guy told me, the V4 on the 2006 Sonata has almost the horsepower (162) of the 2005 Sonata's V6 (170). Thanks again!
  • mkv1mkv1 Member Posts: 14
    Hey all, I just bought a Midnight blue LX opt 3 and could not be happier. This is a great car. I want to look into doing some customization to the audio system and was wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of a wiring diagram or schematic of the car so i can locate the external amp that is supposedly part of the upgraded stero in the LX. Anyone??
    Access the 2006 Sonata Shop Manual on Hyundai WebTech. You'll most likely find the diagrams you want in the body wiring or the audio systems sections. I would expect the external amp is either located under one of the front seats or in the trunk.
    Thanks, I expect to find the amp in one of those two places however i searched the trunk and didnt see it. Thanks for the info.....If anyone else has any information regarding the customization of the stereo in the sonata please let me know. Thanks.
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    Actually, the previous Sonata got an Acceptable rating in the IIHS frontal test (you might be thinking of the one before that, which was indeed given a Poor rating). You would be correct about the poor rating if you were talking about the side and rear tests, though. At the same time, I don't think the side test was an absolute failure. The existing side airbags seemed to help out somewhat.

As for being able to turn off the passenger airbags, the 06 Sonata already disables those unless there's more than about 70 lbs (person or "stuff") on the front passenger seat. So, unless you have some really heavy cargo up front with you, I don't think you'll have to worry about your lunch or a bag of groceries confusing the system.

If you want DRLs, you can always get a GM product or move to Canada :)
  • shane1vshane1v Member Posts: 11
    If I go for an 06' Sonata GLS, I have to get the option with the 17" Rims...they MAKE the look of the car! REALLY nice.
    Do you get the dual exahust on all V6's or just the LX?
  • janeencjaneenc Member Posts: 29
    dual exhaust is on all V6's. ;)
  • prodelaprodela Member Posts: 5
    Thanks [rehaeffele] :blush: i forgot about breakin period. i am very excited about the car & purchase. The MPG will be frosting on the whole sweet deal. In response to [mnbob70] yes i totally love driving a car that nobody knows about.
    I frequent a Starbucks near an Audi/VW/BMW dealership and these guys all hook their necks as i pull up. Way too funny.
    SOMEBODY STOP THAT GUY from trading his Sonata 4cyl. These cars are so hard to find in So Cal.
  • ryandseryandse Member Posts: 51
    Yeah, I've read that even high-end cars like the Toyota Avalon don't have their manumatics quite right. You have to really admire Hyundai for pulling this one off. As far as horse-power goes: when I was first driving this car, It definitely felt like I was driving V6. For a car to be able to perform on par with those that have more fuel displacement and cylinders - is a mark of stellar engineering: in my book. Given this is actually the first car I have ever owned, I am definitely a happy camper. Perhaps, in 6-8 years: when I decide to buy my next car I'll go for a V6. For now, though - I'm quite satisfied.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Yes, I'd go for the 17" wheels too.
  • denp44denp44 Member Posts: 46
    Looking at the Hyundai Service Site, it seems the Amplifier is behind the right side trim in the trunk, near the 12 volt outlet. It seems the trim has to be removed to see it. Let me know if you find it.
  • bigdaddyrick52bigdaddyrick52 Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my Black GLS on August 4th and immediately took it on a 600 mile roadtrip on the Olympic Peninsula. I now have 1900 trouble free miles. I love this car! The fit and paint is flawless and I have yet to find any problems. I never dreamed I would own a Hyundai, but when I saw a dark blue I4 and talked with the new owners, I was convinced that was the car for me. I traded in a 2002 Passat GLS 1.8T 5 speed. The Sonata is so much smoother, quiet, roomy, and faster than the Passat. I especially like the maintenance free timing chain. The service manager at my dealership said it should be good for 200K miles before servicing. I had 89K miles on the 2002 Passat and the main seal was leaking oil, the rear brake rotors were warped, and it was due for a timing belt replacement. My prior 1999 Passat had the timing belt tensioner fail and the rods took out most of the pistons to the tune of $6K for a new engine. I have only seen on other Black GLS in the Seattle area, so it's fun to own a unique car! I have the optional moonroof.
  • tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Hi. I own two Elantras, a 2002 GLS (daughter's car) and a 2004 GT hatchback with manual transmission (my car). I was getting the oil changed two weekends ago and made the mistake of looking at the dealer's new Sonatas. I was really taken by the looks of the new car and was giving serious thought to trading up.

I finally got around to test driving a GLS 4 cylinder and and LX this past weekend. It may be that they are just so different from my small, sporty suspension, manual transmission car, but I decided that I would probably just keep my Elantra. In the midst of all the glowing comments about the new Sonata, I feel as if I may be abnormal since I wasn't really blown away by the test drives.

The GLS seemed "barge-like" to me. The LX drove noticeably better, but it just seemed so big on the inside and outside. I am used to driving with my left elbow up on the window sill and my left thumb and forefinger hooked around a steering wheel spoke. My right hand, of course, is shifting all the while. The Sonatas are so big that there is now way I could achieve this. (Not that I would need to.) I think I might get used to this after a while, however.

I will say that both the Sonata models are the quietest cars I have ever driven. I would not call my Elantra quiet.

I think this is mostly a function of me driving a manual transmission vehicle, but I was fairly put off by the slight delay in acceleration in both models after stepping on the gas. I think I would probably get used to this. My Elantra is by no means powerful but it is a clearly different feel with a manual. That Sonata V6 surely gets up and goes, though. Fun!

I drove a few different color combination Sonatas and was having a big problem with glare from the dash on the windshield. It was a very sunny day here in Texas, so I don't know if the glare was especially bad or if it would be that way a lot. I was also having trouble reading the radio display because of glare.

I think I am going to drive my mother-in-law's Taurus around for a week and then go re-test drive a Sonata. Maybe it will seem better to me then. I am seriously smitten by the looks of the new Sonata, so I am going to give it another shot. It is going to be hard to overcome how much I like my Elantra GT however. It is simply a hoot to drive and gets great gas mileage. Perhaps I should grow up and get an adult car. Hmmm, tough call.
  • tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Man, that first picture in the story is beautiful. Very nice. Thanks for posting it.
    per chance are you talking about dogs in the front seat of a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and not wanting the airbags to go off when they're up there? Interesting thing to ponder, I have to admit I haven't thought of that in relation to a '06 Sonata.

I have thought about not wanting either of my two Pomeranians bouncing around in the event of an accident, though. There are, of course, some restraint devises to hold your pups in place during driving, though I can't quite imagine fastening either one of them down during driving.

I would guess that an airbag might do considerable damage to a canine sitting up front, if, once again, which seems to be the case with airbags, the angle of the blast is just right (as we often read about with people and crash-angles). They pop out so fast, eh? :D

• mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Because of new horsepower standards, Toyota reduced the advertised hp on its 6 cylinder from 210 down to 190 hp.

Brueggemann said engines have not changed, so car shoppers won't notice any drop-off in performance during test drives. But consumers look at horsepower when they're deciding which models to test drive and buy.

For example, the 190-horsepower Camry will compete against a new Hyundai Sonata that advertises 235 horses under the hood. "This could have a possible effect of eliminating a car from consideration," he said
    I came to the same conclusion after lloking at the service site. I have not gone so far as to remove the trim to expose it yet. I dont think there is much i can do with it. The problem is there is no Auxilliary setting on the headunit. I am going to have to find another way. Anyone know how to hardwire a radio transmitter to the actual antenna receptor. I live in st.louis and the wireless FM transmitters just dont cut the mustard in this busy of a radio environment. If i could find a way to set one to a certain station and then be hard wired to the antenna input of the stereo..????? maybe. I just want to get my MP3's into the car. Wasnt this stereo supposed to be XM compatible as well? Whats the deal. I could have sworn when i was in the dealership sitting in the showroom model, there was a flyer saying three months of XM free with the car. And then I read an article about all 2006 hyundai models having the option of XM stereo. I figure since i have the LX i should have the XM.....but doesnt seem to be the case......anyone know?
    I bet you have gotten this response already, but check the service manual on hyundai WebTech (google it). Also, how did you go about installing this nav system? Did you remove the stock stereo? If so how did you get the nav system to fit properly? do you have any pics? Your the first person i have heard of trying to mod the stereo/dash in any way. I would be very interested to learn what you know. If anyone else knows something please........sorry if there is all kinds of other posts about this but i just dont have the time to read thousands of posts.
    thnks.
  • rrcrrc Member Posts: 30
    Drove one out the door for $22,600. Previously had an 02, so I was sold on the quality. This car is an improvement - power and handling, quiet ride as advertised. Paint job is sharp - very smooth and glossy, and the styling is growing on me - it started as pretty nondescript but is looking sportier by the day. The safety and convenience features + the adequate performance make it a compelling buy. Though not as outrageous as the Bose in our benz, even the stereo with the subwoofer does a good job - I see no need to upgrade it.
    The only things I noticed right off are the door pulls feel cheap - like they are going to break off in your hand, and the seat seems shorter than the 02 - I would have liked a longer seat bottom for leg support. Nice ride - but I have yet to see another on the road.
    I'll be upset if they tack on another $1K rebate this year, though!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi and welcome!

I don't know if what you are asking has been discussed here or not, but you don't have to "have the time to read thousands of posts" :-) to find out. There is a handy-dandy Search This Discussion feature just above the first message and just below the last that could help you see what, if anything, others have had to say about that in the past.

Meanwhile, we'll see if anyone currently reading can help.
  • duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    If you want your dog to ride next to you in the passenger seat, it might depend on how heavy your dog is to turn off the airbag sensor. The airbag sensor turns the airbag off if it detects the occupant to be under a certain number of pounds. So I guess it depends on what type of dog you have and its weight!
  • gandamegandame Member Posts: 12
    enjoy your new sonata and keep us up to date on your sonata~ ^^ :D
    thanks but I want to hear from therealpotus to see if he was talking about his dog sitting up front and triggering or not triggering his airbag.

BTW-my two Pomeranians (both males) are 1 year old Coty, who weighs in at 13 pounds and 9 ounces, and 5 year old Rocky, who weighs in at 6 pounds. They alternate between sitting up front with my wife and making a bed for themselves in the Sportage 4x4's back seat. I can't imagine strapping either one of them in with some kind of doggy-holder, yikes. OTOH-I can't imagine either of them getting hurt by being thrown in an accident, either, hence the comment from me on this issue.

BTW-I hate it when people put their canines in the back of their pick-em-up trucks to freely bounce around back there. Case in point against that goofy ploy, a month or two ago I was out in our yard doing yardwork and I've got my head down pulling a week or something and I hear this 'BAM'-Kapoom!-Skkkiiiiiddddddddd!!!! I looked up and somebody's black lab or similar type breed was looking right at me in the middle of the road, limping and obviously in some pain. I looked into his eyes from probably 50 feet away with sympathy...soon his stupid owner came trudging up the street...his truck was parked with the emergencies on down the hill a ways....he blurted a quick obscenity and yelled at his dog to COME HERE! (like it was his dog's fault or something). Down the hill the dog limped after his master. Poor thing, I hope that idiot was bright enough to take the dog to a vet after helping him to fall off the back of his truck like that. The highway takes an abrupt turn at the corner we live on, apparently DUMBO couldn't negotiate it. Which brings up the thought...I'll bet this dope is the type that doesn't feel the need to signal on America's highways, too.

• newsonatalvrnewsonatalvr Member Posts: 1
    I'm a brand new Sonata 2006 owner and I'm quite impressed with the initial ride, comfort, power, etc. No where else can you get such car for the $$. I was a big Camry Fan, but for the price, I got a lot more car with better styling.

My only real pet peeve is the Chime for the Seat Belt. I'm in a job where I need to pull to the side of the road and read or talk on the cell phone for 30+ minutes at a time and I would like to leave the car running so the AC can remain on but taking off my seat belt will cause the chime every 15-30 seconds. Annoying!!

Does anyone know how to disable that feature? It would be a great help. Maybe taking out the fuse for the chime?

Thanks to anyone that can help here. :shades:
  • sludgefootsludgefoot Member Posts: 3
    rrc -

If you would tell, what part of the country are you from and what was the final price before tax, title, registration? Sounds like a good deal. Thanks in advance.
    Hey there! No, I don't have a dog. I was thinking of the following situation. Let's say I'm moving a bunch of stuff (groceries, books, 'junk', whatever) and I have 'stuff' sitting in the front seat. In that case, I don't want the airbags for the front passenger going off (front airbag for sure, and perhaps the side airbag [though that might not be affected by the seat sensor; I just don't know]).

My thought is the airbag could cause the 'stuff' in the front passenger seat to injure me! Perhaps, with such a large trunk and back seat (with seats down, etc) I won't be faced with such a situation. Just thinking.

Now, I asked this question of Hyundai, and I received the following response:

"Airbag off switch: Passenger airbag off switches are legal ONLY in vehicles where there is no other place to put a child seat. Examples include 2-seat sports cars and regular cab pickup trucks. So we have our hands tied on this one - and even if it were legal, we'd be opening ourselves up to a lot of liability by allowing the driver to shut that airbag off while there's a passenger in that seat. So as a result we have "smart" airbags with an occupant classification system that determines the best airbag deployment strategy given the load in the front seat. If there is nothing in the seat, the airbag will not deploy."

There you go. I was not aware of what the laws were/are regarding airbag off switches. Now that I think about it, the times I have seen such a switch are in friends pickup trucks. So, I guess such as switch is only allowed in that scenario (because there wouldn't be a back seat area where one could put a child's seat).

As far as a dog goes, I don't know. I wouldn't think it's that safe to ride with a dog loose, regardless. Don't they have travel kennels for that?

Even if a dog was loose in the back seat [large or small dog], that dog--just like an unbelted passenger--becomes a deadly projectile in the event of a high speed collision. If you rear-end someone, that dog will fly forward at a high rate of speed. And if you are rear-ended, that dog will richochet off the back seat and fly forward. In either case, it won't be good for the dog (or cat, or anything else that is loose).

It's something people often don't think about, but 'loose' items in a vehicle can become deadly projectiles in the event of a high speed accident. And, with so many airbags firing at close to 200 mph, I've got to think that stuff would get shot around by the airbags apart from the forces of a collision.

Google the phrase "projectile car accident" and see the various stories that pop in the top ten (mentioning how an unrestrained dog can become a deadly projectile, let alone not good for the dog).
  • mnbob70mnbob70 Member Posts: 14
    I agree about the seat belt chime. It's annoyingly loud and I'd like to disable it too.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You ask.."is there something wrong with me" The short answer is... nope, the Sonata isn't meant to be all things to all people. You, by your own definition of your likes, like a smaller, maybe more nimble car with a manual transmission. Don't need the extra space.....this is simply why Hyundai and indeed all manufacturers make a full range of sizes, prices, performance levels, gas economy expectations etc. etc. No problem, simply buy the next generation Elantra.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A couple of options come to mind:

1) Find someplace off-road to take your call. It will save gas and also wear on the car (idling for a long time in hot weather with the A/C on is not the best thing for the car).

2) Sit in the (extremely roomy) back seat whille you talk on the phone or read. For me (5'10") there's room to cross my legs back there--might be more comfy reading or talking than in the front.
    Thanks Pat! I did not even see the search bar. I do not frequent the message boards so I do sometimes miss things. ;) Anyway, thanks, I appreciate the direction.