Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 535D

2»

Comments

• I am originally from France. I have been in the States since a few month (U of MN).
    Just before leaving France, I was driving my dad's car (Golf IV, 130hp + chip = 150) behind a new 5 series somewhere in the north of France. I thought it was a 530D, "the usual" (in France) (a great car anyway). But it wasn't, It was the brand new 535D!, I couldn't believed it! I was the first time I saw a 535D...and the last time... :cry:
    The engine is a bi-turbo, this is great but this is not an innovation...the real innovation is the the fact that the turbos are in "series": the smaller one is blowing into the bigger one. BMW is the first to introduced this technology on the market.
    I know some people working in the diesel department of a great german manufacturer....the "Diesel War" between the german manufacturers has just begun...In a couple a year from now (maybe next year?), we will see some AMAZING and INSANE diesel engines...

Wait and see :D

PS: This website site is great!
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    "In a couple a year from now (maybe next year?), we will see some AMAZING and INSANE diesel engines..."

I just hope we see them here (usa)!
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I know that the diesel engines over there in Europe are just great, so I really hope that we can get some over here. I hope that the German luxury car makers (BMW, Benz, Audi) bring over their smaller diesels for the C, A4, and 3-Series. That would excite the market for diesels. Isn't Acura talking about a possible TSX diesel?
  • I agree, that would be great...for the german manufacturers but not for the US manufacturers...

I don't even need to say that I am 100% for diesel engines. Someone said that in the UK, 45% of the car sold are diesel...in France it's not 45%...it's 90%...and PSA (Peugeot) makes more diesel engines than any other car manufacturer in the world. I have been driving diesel cars for 10 years and diesel powered machines for almost 20 years (Deere and CAT diesel engines rock!!!). For me, gas it's just for bikes and sports vehicules, the rest is better to drive with a diesel engine.

BUT I don't see the point in having a diesel engine in a luxury car or vehicule. If one can afford a 100000$ car (like the TouaregV10), does he worry about the gas price and the mileage? I don't think so. I think he worries more about the comfort, the silence, high HP and RPM engine...
    Why do the german manufacturer are putting some much money in designing diesel engines for the luxury cars? Maybe they are trying to create a new niche market ? Where are the customers for those kind of cars and SUVs ? In Europe? I know it's all about diesel in Europe but this is not the kind of car that anybody can afford. No, the market is here, the customers are in the US (remember why Porsche decided to go for the Cayenne...).
    In the US, it's all about gas engine. Rich people want something different, something exotic: "You want the model with the V8 gas engine but we have a model even more expensive than this one, the one with the V10 diesel engine..." I am sure they I have those thoughts in mind in Stuttgart, Neckarsulm and Munchen. Why build such big engines if it's not for the US market (and its numerous rich customers) ? Because it's very unlikely that VW is going to sell hundreds and hundreds of their TouaregV10 in Europe, it's rather Touraeg R5 and V6. I think the emission standards are not a big deal (even the Californian standards), they already know how to "solve" the problem (Peugeot and their particule filters already have the solution...).
    What are they waiting for? Maybe I am totally wrong. Maybe they are having fun in making bigger and bigger engines. "You made a V8 diesel engine, I am gonna make a V10 engine...You made a V10 engine, I am gonna made a V12..."
    My toy is bigger than yours :P
  • I agree to the fact that they (german car makers) should import the diesel versions of their smaller model.

I have just realized that VW is just importing the lower HP version of their 1.9L and 2.0L TDI (around 100hp)! Why don't they import the 130, 150 (1.9L) and 140hp version (2.0L) of those engines. Emission standards ?
    Because there is a HUGE difference between the 100-115hp versions and the 130-140-150hp versions. The first ones are quiet....the second ones are pure FURRY. You wouldn't believe it's the same block! The difference is the same between the Audi V6tdi 155-163hp and the 180hp version of the same engine.
    My dad (in France) has a Golf IV TDI 130hp, 6 speed (MatchII, latest version) upgraded with a german chip (inexpensive, 70euros for the injector-pump version, more for the older version, easy to install, great stuff) that gives more punch (more torque than power) when driving on the 5th or 6th. It's almost like driving a BMW330D or a A4180TDI: you are cruising at 60mph on the highway, you push the throttle down and handfull of seconds after you are at 120mph...still on the same gear :blush:
    It's like being pushed by a huge catapult that seems to keep pushing for ever...only a diesel engine can do that (unless you have a gas engine that goes up to 9000rpm and more: M5, S2000, Modena,etc... but the price isn't the same :cry: ). Anyway, just to tell that the 130-150hp versions by far the best versions : brutal, sharp I like those engines. What's more, you have got better mileage with the 130-150hp versions than the 100-115hp versions (between 5 and 5.5 liters/100km on highway). No, there is no mistake... ;)
    I drove the new Passat 2.0L TDI, the engine is basically the same as the 1.9L version but not as brutal as the 1.9L, they changed that because many people complained about that. Surprisingly, the new engine is more noisy :confuse:
    But it's a great car, for sure a best-seller in Europe. They announce a 170hp version of the 2.0L engine. Toyota has just launched a 170hp version of its 4 cylinder engine on the Avensis. Round one, fight!

;)
  • I live in the UK and thought I'd just add my experience of the new 535d tonight !

I've not actually driven one... no I was driving a TVR Griffith 400, (4 litre V8 UK two seater spots car, for those that don't know). I exited a roundabout onto a short 1/4 mile section duel carriageway. I noticed the 535d badge on the new BMW infront of me as I pulled out to overtake. Now I gave the TVR everything it had to 6k red line in 2nd & 3rd and yes I got past and maybe just over a car & a half length infront over that 1/4 mile.

I'd have been impressed if it were a petrol BMW that kept with me but amazed it was so quick. The TVR is also slightly tweaked over a standard 400 so performance is somewhere between a 400 & a 430 in reality. Of course I had the better seat & the nicer sound track, but I bet the BMW driver had a equally big smile. Alas the TVR isn't mine I was repairing the exhaust for a friend while he was on holiday. I've been driving diesels for a long time and remember unbelievably slow slugs like the ford Granada & Peugeot 604 turbo diesels. I currently drive a 1996 Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDI (140bhp 5cyl), which is both economical, (50mpg average with some care), and adequate performance wise. I will however look out for a 535d estate, (wagon), in 5 or so years when they reach my price point ;)
  • And they are talking about a 335D and a 540D... :surprise: :blush:
    Those engineers from Germany are mad :)
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I drive a 530d and—in addition to the fact that its max. speed and cruise speed have nothing to envy to, say, those of a 530i—the rocket you feel you are driving when you press the accelerator from 2,000 r•m on is amazing. A 530d has much more punch than a similar (or higher) HP-powered gas engine. This is one reason to prefer a diesel over a gas engine even at the level of a 5-Series. In particular if you must drive along not only highways but also mountain roads. It is not the speed but the acceleration what matters there when overtaking a slower vehicle.

The mileage you get with diesels is another reason. Specially here, in Europe, where the fuel prices can reach the moon in a few time. Nobody disdains cheaper journeys no matter he/she drives a small car or a luxury performance car. A 5-Series or similar is not a Ferrari, in any case.

Then, a diesel engine usually endures more mileage or more years in good condition. For this reason, resale prices are higher for diesel powered cars, it including those of the high-level segment, here in the UE.

Finally, there is silence and no vibrations in a high-end diesel-powered car nowadays.

Those are the reasons supporting my crossing the line from gas to diesel when I bought my 530d one year ago. I was a gas car driver until then. The only thing I regret sometimes is the noise of a good gas engine. That of the diesel is always more bronco. My family and I still drive a gas Mini Cooper—so funny and useful! :shades: But there was no comparable diesel engine there! ;)

Regards
  • I am a diesel lover and user since 1995. I always knew there was something missing on diesel engines but I didn't know what it was until BMW came with the idea of the twin turbo (535D)!!! That's what is missing on diesel engines... power on top!
    I hope that other car makers are going to follow BMW and really build same serious sports car based on diesel. The era of gasoline car ends with electronic injection, it's hard to say but it's true. The new M3 engine, for example is good, it was "the best engine of the year" in 2000something, but is not as fun as the old carburator. Actually it's quite boring.
    It would be nice to have a Z4d with the new 535D engine, or a V12d on the 7 series or see WV using what BMW has done with the 535D.
    What a shame that petroleum engine are about to end when a new diesel chapter is starting.
  • I am a diesel lover and user since 1995. I always knew there was something missing on diesel engines but I didn't know what it was until BMW came with the idea of the twin turbo (535D)!!! That's what is missing on diesel engines... power on top!
    I hope that other car makers are going to follow BMW and really build same serious sports car based on diesel. The era of gasoline car ends with electronic injection, it's hard to say but it's true. The new M3 engine, for example is good, it was "the best engine of the year" in 2000something, but is not as fun as the old carburetor. Actually it's quite boring.
    It would be nice to have a Z4d with the new 535D engine, or a V12d on the 7 series or see WV using what BMW has done with the 535D.
    What a shame that petroleum engine are about to end when a new diesel chapter is starting.
  • gidiangidian Posts: 1
    I am very interested in getting a 535D, but I live in the US.
    Is there a way to have one imported?

Thanks,
    I am not sure but, may be with European Delivery through an authorized dealer in the US?

Regards,
    José
    you can't bring a BMW here that BMW NA doesn't sell.

Think about it, who'd work on it?

Aside from that, all cars have to be federally certified.

dave
    OK, I should have known better! :blush: I cannot take my 530d into the US, then. :mad:

Regards,
    Jose
    I know it sucks--your 530d is a great car.

If they had the 335d here, i'd buy one. 272 hp, 380lbft--yum!

dave
  • bubicobubico Posts: 2
    What I mean by "good" would be fair priced and reliable source (I don't want to end with a melted :lemon: engine after I pay and ship it over the pond :P ...). Thank you, bubico
    P.S. Pond = Atlantic :)
  • Does anyone know when BMWNA will bring the BMW 535d to the US. The year is almost half way and I am seeing more stations with the "premium" diesel (ULSD.
    I am interested in the car and BMWNA will not support it
  • tdinicktdinick Posts: 4
    Diesel BMWs will be back in the USA in 2008. They were last sold here around 1985/6 as a 525td and used ones are sold on eBay for about $4k -- so they really kept their value.
    Do you have more info tdnick?

Will it be the suv's ( boo ) or, perhaps a 535d with 6-speed, active roll stabilization, etc ( yay! ).
  • I'm currently stationed in Italy. While here, I can get a BMW 3d or 5d series at diplomatic pricing (good but still expensive). The catch is the cost is in euros, which are killing us American's over here.

My question is if I buy a 2008 535id to bring home, does anyone know about what would have to be done and cost to convert to US specs? Also, will the diesel engine set up for over here need a conversion or additives to run on US diesel fuel?

I went to Oktoberfest in Munich in Sep and sat with a guy in R&D at BMW. I also contacted the USA Marketing rep while visiting the plant. Nothing comfirmed and very unofficial, but was "told" that the current plan was to market the X5 SUV as a diesel in the US for the 2009 model and if all went well, follow with the 3 or 5 or both series for 2010 models. So looks like it is still some time away unfortunately.

Should I bring home a European conversion or not? Its gonna cost me. What would the resale look like if I decided to sell it and get a 2010 when they come to the USA?

I need to make a decision before the end of this year, so the expertise on this forum will help a lot.

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm thinking that you won't be able to legally license a 535d for love nor money as there is probably no way to convert one to operate as cleanly as would be required to meet federal emmissions standards. Your best bet would be to either buy a gasser at diplomatic prices or wait until the BMW diesels are available on our side of the pond.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks. Was wondering if anyone was reading this board since the post prior to mine was a year old.

Hoping you're wrong but I really don't know. I'm definitely more interested in a diesel than a hybrid and need some good economy since I will be returning to southern California and even a normal commute is 30 miles each way.

Why don't you think I could convert it? Someone told me they have to replace the headlights, tail lights, windshield? and maybe a few other items.

Boy, US market is missing out. This heavy, safe, beautiful car can get about 55mpg on the highway.
    Because California HATES diesels. Why? Emissions, period, full stop, the end. To say that it would be near impossible to get a 535d licensed in the non-CARB states would be an understatement, to get it licensed in California would most likely require divine intervention, and the last time I checked, the deities weren't acting on the prayers of American diesel lovers. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks Shipo,
    How about if I bring in as a used car since I'll own it over here for at least 8-9 months?
    How do others get VW TDIs and MB diesels registered there?
    Nope, not going to work either. In the case of the VW and Mercedes-Benz diesels, they meet the pollution requirements as set forth by the EPA. In fact, technically the Mercedes-Benz meets the CARB requirements as well, however, California pulled a fast one at the last minute and changed the rules regarding the Blue-Tec urea canister (which has to be refilled every 7,500 miles or so). Now the only way to legally license these cars in California is to wait until the car has over ~7,500 miles on the odometer.

That said, since the BMW diesels don't even meet the U.S. EPA emissions standards, you won't even be able to legally get the car in the country much less to California. As I said before, you need to wait for BMW to release a U.S. spec diesel, and that probably won't happen until 2009 or 2010.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,026
    The car has to be USA certified for both safety and emissions. I still remember Bill Gates with his $900,000 Porsche impounded because it was not crash tested to US standards. I think you are looking at a giant hassle that you will lose. Get a Mercedes E320CDI that is US approved and with 7500 miles you can register it in CA. I know of several people that took European delivery on a Mercedes diesel. It has to be a legal US vehicle. So far BMW has not brought any diesels to the US. An X5 diesel would be to my liking for sure.
  • I've read that BMW may unveil the US-market 330d at NAIAS in January 2008. It will be rated at 228 bhp, but the fuel efficiency will be around 30-35% better than the 328i model. That 3.0-liter turbodiesel engine may make its way into the 5-Series sedan and possibly the next-generation X3 due about 18 months from now.
2»
This discussion has been closed.