Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• First thanks to all posters...info has been a great help. Just ordered a Z4 which will be ready in mid september. Jet Black 2.5, Beige Leather, wood trim, premium. MSRP 39345, INV 36045 price 35,000. Happy with the deal because it's with my local dealer and I have typically had to drive a couple of hours to get any kind of competitive price. My question is this....I put down a deposit....what happens if the incentive is dicontinued? Will the dealer be increasing my price? Or on the flipside what happens if the unlikely event occurs which the incentive is raised? Any thoughts appreciated.....Thanks!
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,965
    If the incentive is dropped (not likely), I doubt the dealer will honor your price.. He should, unless he made it contingent on the incentive, but most aren't going to take a loss on that.. In the case they don't follow through, I'm sure they will return your deposit..

If the incentive increases? Well.. it is a dealer incentive.. so, technically, you aren't entitled to it.. You agreed to $35K...

You could ask for a lower price, though.... and, I surely would..

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• chollacholla Posts: 4
    I am looking at purchasing from a dealer a CPO 2004 Z4 2.5 w/ auto, Premium, Sport, Convenience and metalic. It has approximately 18,000 miles. They are asking $37K which is high but I am trying to determine what is a reasonable offer to make the dealer. A new 2004 w/ these options had an MSRP of $42,670 and invoice of $39,100. Since BMW was offering incentives in 2004 for as high as $5,000 on the 2.5 I am assuming that someone could have bought it for about $35,100 (- $5,000 + $1,000 from invoice). The TMV for dealer retail is about $35,032 and for CPO is $37,838. These prices seem way out of line. Knowing that I could have purchased for $35,100 how should I factor in depreciation and CPO?
    Not an expert....

But, I think somewhere around $32K would be the right price...

regards,
    kyfdx

An expert opinion... A similar car from earlier this month..

Real World Trade-In Values

• If the incentive goes away then your discount based on the incentive will go away - that is fair. But you do have a choice of walking away in my opinion since this is not your fault and the deposit should be refunded.

If the incentive is increased then roll up your negotiating sleeves because should you walk away from the deal (same reason as above) then they get stuck with a custom configured car that may be difficult to offload. If they give you the entire increase in incentive then they still make exactly same amount of money as they did before.

When I custom ordered my Z4 I had that discussion with the dealer and he did agree with the above points - at least verbally :). That is why he wanted me to order on the beginning of the month to ensure delivery during the same month - incentives are revisited by BMW on a monthly basis.

BTW, that beige lather with wood trim is soooooooo nice!
    Thanks, that verifies some of my thoughts on what to offer.
  • My local dealer said he can get the z4 I want from another dealer, but it will cost about $300 for the shipping. Does this sound right? Thanks.
    That is reasonable, if it is over an hour away.... Are they driving it, or flatbedding it?

• Flat-bedding
    Sounds reasonable... truck and driver... they don't work for free....

regards,
    kyfdx

• topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    How does the Z4 work in a bit of snow and slush with all seasons? I test drove a 3.0 today but it was an auto and it lacked the "thrill" of the S2000 I just drove. True the S2000 was a bit loud with the top up and very stiff and race car like. The Z drove very similarly to my old 330i. I was looking for a bit more edge so maybe the stick will do the trick. Is it a short throw? The Honda was a slight flick of the wrist which I really liked. But the refinment of the Z4 was clear.

Thank you
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,125
    Well if you're looking for your Z4 to be your daily driver in New England and are looking for something with a bit more edge, Try driving a Z4 3.0i with 6 speed manual transmission and Sport Package. While the SP equipped Z4 does come with High Performance 3 season rubber, you should consider a second set of rims with 4 snow tires for the winter months.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Your biggest problem... assuming you get winter tires (you'll have to have them), will be ground clearance.. The front air dam sits about 3" off the ground... With proper tires, you can deal with traction issues, but if the snow is deep at all, you'll be plowing it with the front end...

regards,
    kyfdx

Does anyone have info on the continuation of the rebates on Z4s past 8/31? Any chance they will increase?
  • I do not think that this is reasonable because you are already paying for destination and you have no way of knowing what is the business arrangement between the two dealers. I would not pay it. This was one a the reasons why I opted out to order a car straight from a factory.
  • Hi Folks,
    I am thinking of buying a used base model 03 z4 3.0. Its stickshift, manual top and no options. Do you think the transmission and the fact that its got no options will affect its resale value significantly 3-4 years down the line?
    In general, what features or lack thereof (high besides mileage, accident and the obvious ones) cause the owner to take a big hit when trying to sell it.
    Thanks
    I'd say the lack of a power top will be the biggest problem.. You'll always find someone that wants a stick-shift in a 2-seater...

It isn't some weird color, is it?

• kyfdx,
    No, its black with red leather interior.
    On a separate note:
    1) Should the incentives being handed out for new cars lower the price of used cars correspondingly?
    2) Do edmunds or KBB trade-in, pvt.party and retail prices for 03/04 Z4's take into account the incentives that were/are handed out?
    If not, what do you think is a reasonable way to come up with a reasonable price for the car?
    Thanks for all your help in this forum. Truly insightful advice.
    Red leather.. nice... See? not stripped.. leather is optional... That is a nice color combo, if you aren't in some place really, really hot...

1) You would think so... Any time someone buys a late model used car, they are comparing it to the price of a new one.. If it isn't appreciably cheaper, then new is the way to go..

2) The prices you see on-line should be based on auction sales... Sometimes by the time they are published, they are out of date..... or, just plain wrong..

Didn't you say they were asking $27K? That isn't a bad price.. If this is the car you want, bargain as hard as you can, and take whatever you get...

regards,
    kyfdx