Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• k2xxk2xx Posts: 5
    Thanks for your reply.

Well, I just got the Consumers' Union pricing info this morning, and it coincides pretty well with Edmund's.

It looks like the dealer's costs run like this:

Base 3.0L vehicle (includes $4500 incentive)...................$33,960
    SMG...............................................................................1,425
    Premium Pckg.................................................................2,185
    Sport Pckg.......................................................................1090
    Sport seats........................................................................410
    Metallic paint......................................................................430

Total.............................................................................$39,500

I've got an initial offer now for a titanium/black with all of the above (except the sports seats) plus xenon lights ($635) and heated front seats ($455), which I really don't want, for $42,300.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Joe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,851
    I think you want to be within $1500 of the dealer's cost... They have big incentives for a reason...

Anything more than that seems to be too much...

If the dealer cost is $39,500, I want to be at $41K or less....

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks for your advice.

Interestingly, I just got another initial offer but w/o SMG and w/o xenon of $39,300, which is $1,610 above dealer's cost. $41,000 does sound about right for the first vehicle.

Best regards,

Joe
    I just wanted to let you know that I did buy the 3.0L Z4 with SMG. Apparently, it was the only SMG available in the northeast. The car has all the usual schmalz (xenon, heated seats, sport and premium packages, BMW assist, metallic paint and hardtop prep). The dealer's cost according to Consumers' Union was $40,915 (includes $4,500 incentive). I paid $40,851. It was the last day of the month, and I suspect they might have been in a cash flow bind.

Here's some additional advice to those who live in the southeast. Dealers there are consistently high. One dealership in Roanoke, VA quoted me the MSRP: $48,500. Another in Winston-Salem, NC quoted $45,949 (included sports seats and driver's fee for bringing it up from Florida). I had precisely the same experience when buying two brand new Toyotas in 2003. The local VA dealer was $5,000 high on each car. I saved $10,000 by merely buying the cars in NJ! Competition is a consumer's best friend.

Again, thanks for your help and advice.

Best regards,

Joe
    Congratulations..!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new car.. The hard part is over... now you get to drive it..

regards,
    kyfdx

• zedfourzedfour Posts: 3
    I am thinking of buying a used z4 and would like to get some opinions on pricing. The car is a 2003 three liter model with sport, premium, convenience packages, auto transmission, and xenon headlights. It has about 12k miles on it. Not a CPO but has remaining original warranty. Edmunds private party TMV price is about 32600. What would you pay for such a car?

kyfdx, please advise. Thank you all for you help.
    It is hard to price used Z4s, with all the dealer money they drop on new ones.. Sometimes the deals on the used ones are fair, but don't make much sense, when you consider what you can buy a new one for...

For example... a new '05 Z4 3.0 that has an MSRP of $48K, can be bought for under $41K... (I'm just guessing that would be a comparable price to the one you are looking at).

So... I'm going to direct you to this thread.. Real World Trade-In Values

List as much detail as you can about the car.... Follow the template at the bottom of the thread.. Be sure to tell them that you are considering buying the car from a private party, and give them your city/state.. It might take a couple of days, but at least you'll get a "real" number... based on what dealers are buying the car for at auction..

Then, you'll have to decide if the car is a good value, compared to what else you can buy for the low $30Ks...

regards,
    kyfdx

• zedfourzedfour Posts: 3
    Thank you for your thoughts, kyfdx. I will post in the other thread you mentioned.

I priced the car using Edmunds TMV and Kelley Blue Book - there seems to be ~1k difference in price, so you are right in that a good value can be tricky to determine.
  • madabushimadabushi Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I was wondering if kyfdx or someone else could tell me if
    (1) its worth using these brokers that claim to get your car at wholesale prices? Have people got any good deals using their services? Any loopholes?
    I am looking to buy a used Z4 (2.5 would do for me with atleast the convenience package) and am located in SF, CA. I see reasonably optioned 2003 Z4 2.5's with low miles (15-20K) going for between 26K-30K.
    (2) Also, since 2003 was the first year of the model would it be recommended to go for the 2004 instead which probably has the tweaks to remove annoying features in the 2003 year model? The problem I see with the 2004 models as kyfdx pointed out earlier is that will all these rebates its worth shelling out 4K more for a brand new car. Any opinions?
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
  • flycasterflycaster Posts: 30
    Was just checking out a Merlo 2.5 Z4 with Premium, automatic and tan leather, wood trim and tan top. Told the GM (Braman at West Palm Beach) that I wanted the $2500 dealer incentive and that I'd pay $1000 over invoice. He said that when I was ready to buy, he'd do it (had to get to another appointment and couldn't wait for the final pricing). So, a this point although I don't know how much they they will cost out the invoice, Edmund's calculations bring me to an invoice of approximately $37,685, and I figure that the car should cost about $36,185 (37,685-2500+1000) before taxes. Is this a good buying price? As the GM took my offer rather quickly, I'm beginning to think that I could have done better (ie, offered less than $1000 over invoice after the $2500). What do you think?
  • peakpropeakpro Posts: 65
    I think the price is good.

But why are you skipping the sports package on an auto 2.5.

I own a 3.0 automatic so my wife can also drive it. Without the sports button it lacks a little umph. (IMHO)

:)
    Although the SP would be nice, I'm passing on as a matter saving $. The SP is no great deal in the 2.5. However, with the 3.0 I think one does see a difference. I just might wait for the 2006's with the 215hp output of the 2.5.
  • peakpropeakpro Posts: 65
    I think the SP is more improtant in the 2.5; put thats a personal choice.

I have heard but can not confirm that only the 3.0 2006 will get the new engine. The 2006 2.5 will get the same engine as the 2005.

Does anyone have any info on this?
    2005 2.5 Merlot Z4 with: Premium, automatic shift, leather, alarm system (alarm not figured in as they are not charging me for it)

MSRP = $41,095

Invoice = $37,685

Selling price offered= $37,227

On reflection, I think I should now discuss the dealer's $2500 incentive and work off the invoice price. Furthermore, I can offer to pay $1000 over invoice (is this too much, should I go for lower?) less incentive ($37,685 - $2500 + $1000) which now becomes a selling price of $36,185.

So now I'd like to know if my thinking is correct. If so, then I should push for the $36,185 over their offer of $37,227. If they won''t go for this, is their offer reasonable enough to take?

Thanks

I hope this doesn't become a double post as I tried sending the same message earlier, but as it apparently didn't go through, here's another try.
    The $36,185 sounds good to me.. But, if you are just negotiating with this one dealer, you have to be ready for them to just say no..

You might be able to come to a deal somewhere between those two numbers... If this is the car you really want, I wouldn't let a few hundred here or there stop me... By the time you add in the cost of the alarm/installation and the MACO charge that BMW adds to the invoice, they are probably only making $500 at the $36,185 number...

If they take that... so much the better...

Actually, I'm in no big rush. I want this Z4 configuration, but I don't have to have the car yesterday. I can be flexible and take a different configuration at a later time, also. The lower selling price sounds good to you...does this mean that I have a leg to stand on to get this number? IE, was I right on my off-invoice assumptions?

Since I'm not in a big rush and can wait until the 2006 Z4s come out, I would take this 2005 Z4 at $36,185 (or a few buck more) if I felt that this price would still be a good one as October's new models appear. Do you have any councel as to how good this price is under the "new car" scenario?

Thansk again for your help.
    That would be a great price... but, as I noted.. it is about a $500 profit deal for the dealer.. If you can get that, I'd jump on it... Maybe even for $500 more than that..

I don't think the new '06 models come out until January for the Z4...

Yeah, it would have been a good price as the dealer would have worked with me to get the lower price. However, the car was sold by another salesperson. Actually, I don't feel too badly as all this was a great learning experience (and I really didn't need the car) and as the 2006s will be out in October (according to the salesperson), maybe there will be better deals as September ends? Thanks again for your help.
  • mikey432mikey432 Posts: 9
    I have little idea about the z4's so I would appreciate your feedback on pricing and cost.

I am looking at a 2004 2.5i, 5-speed manual with the sports package and xenon lights, heated seats. it's driven 6k miles. the private party is asking for 27k. does that price seem reasonable or should i be bargaining some more? what's the same 2005 cost brand new?

another concern i have is the cost of ownership. how much will this car depreciate and what will it's value be a year or two from now? (i have been driving a honda all this time so i have enjoyed low cost of ownership).

cheers!
    Are those all the options? No power top? Metallic paint? etc...

If so, a new '05 would be $37,500... They have pretty good incentives.. Actual selling price would probably be around $33K..

That said, the $27K asking price is realistic.. Most private sellers are very unrealistic.... At $26K, you'd have a good deal... and a lot of warranty left..

Maintenance is free up until the end of the 4yr/50K warranty... The only thing you'd have to pay for is tires.... Those runflats are expensive, by the way...

Also, you can't drive in the snow with the Sport package tires.. summer only..

I think at $26K, you'll do well on depreciation....

regards,
    kyfdx

Leather? Premium package? Power seats?

There are a lot of options that can jack up the price... If he is original owner, he should be able to show you the window sticker...

i am not sure if it's a power-top or metallic paint. i'll confirm with the owner. how much depreciation am i looking at? the dealer told me that the value drops to 50% of the orignal price after 3 years.

so if i intend to sell it two years from now what price would i get on it?
    Lets see... hmm.. crystal ball is a little fuzzy...

Seriously... It is hard to say... the Z4 came out in '03... so, there aren't any 3 year old examples to compare it to....

It will depend on miles driven, condition, your location, etc...

But, if you take care of it, and it only has around 20K-25K miles in another couple of years, I'd think you could see $18K-$20K, fairly easily... If it is a late in-service date.. (say, July of '04), and you still have a year of warranty left, then that would be a big selling point...

Unless the car is white, black or red.. it likely has metallic paint.. that is a $475 option...

regards,
    kyfdx

it's color is metallic titanium silver.
    the seat covers are not leather (they're leatherette).
    it's got a manual top.

it's definetly got the sports package and xenon lights and heated seats.

I don't think the price will budge from 27K. is it a fairly reasonable deal or still a bargain?
    also one other thing. was was the change from 2004 model to 2005 model? when do the 2006 models come out and will there be any significant changes in that?
    '05 models are essentially the same... Possibly some differences in how options were packaged...

That '04 has everything you really need.. Sport, stick, xenons, heated seats.. Silver is a great color... The only drawback is -no power top-...

I'd say the price is "fair"... It is hard to compare to others out there on price, because most have quite a bit more options....

That said, unless this guy is your best friend, everything is negotiable... And, trying to sell a $27K car privately is tough... I'd certainly try for another $1000 less...

But, even at $27K, you aren't going to get hurt.. As I said before, if the car has only been in service for a year, it would more desireable than a car that was coming up on two years old..

As far as '06s? I don't think they are coming out until January... They may have the new upgraded engines that are in the 3-series at that time...

But, if so, expect a price increase... Plus, I don't think it would hurt the value of yours any... At $26K-$27K, you'll still have about the cheapest '04 model around...

Really.. the only thing that bugs me is the lack of a power top.. But, since I've never used a manual top on a Z4, I can't even really say if that is a big deal or not.

regards,
    kyfdx

• dtwicksdtwicks Posts: 7
    I am looking at a Fully loaded (Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, Automatic, Xenon, No NAV) Merlot at a local dealer in So Cal. 9K miles. After about an hour of negotiating the dealer said the best offer he can make is $32.4. Is this a fair price or should I offer lower.
  • woodywwwoodyww Posts: 1,797
    Did you see what Terry said on the Real-World Trade-In Values forum about this car? If I understand it, with the no-leather, no power top, etc. he's saying around $25.5K for the car, trade-in value to a dealer. If you're sure you don't care about those options, want a stick, etc., why not offer $26-$26.5K? And the spt pckg & xenons are really nice. Hard to say, the no-leather, no power top, & even the stick will hurt you when you sell, but it sounds like you're saving up front.

I'd be most concerned about doing a carfax, getting service records from the dealer, & having it checked out for any possible repaired body damage. Hard to get the exact combo of color, options, & price you want on a used bmw because the options lists are so extensive.....I've blown off a couple of really nice used bmws over something like the interior color, & regretted it later. I wouldn't lose this one over $1000 if it checks out, & you're sure it's what you want.
  • bmrbmr Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if BMW will extend the cash incentives to the dealer after 08/01.