Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• "I'll contend that there are a number of us in this country that would prefer to buy American, if quality and value were even close."
    Well put. With a well equipped family sedan nearly 30K and up, you have to make intelligent choices. I understand the US makers got caught with their pants down in the mid 70's, but they've had 3 decades to catch up, and haven't done so. My only conclusion is they simply don't care.
    They've narrowed the gap, but they still build whatever they want & expect us to dutifully go out and buy it.
    With Toyota now ranked #1 (fewest problems) by some consumer agencies, it only makes sense to go with the best.

Ummmm, you guys need to get off your rumps and do some research. Try driving something different. And as far as 'they still build whatever they want and expect us to dutifully go out and buy it....' comment: My original comment was that with Toyota you CANNOT get exactly what you want... The fact is, Toyota builds whatever it wants and, yes, expects you to dutifully go out and buy it.

As to quality, the new Avalon doesn't do well. Look at the forums on this website. And, ahem, even my new Pontiac grand prix ranks better than a Camry according to JD Power....

I just like the truth, not bs. Toyota builds some reliable cars. They build some so-so cars. Very few are memorable, however.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I, and MANY other Camry buyers disagree strongly with your heavily opinionated statement. I'm not trying to get in on this quibble between a couple of you, but it would make you sound a lot more credible and able to be taken somewhat seriously if you'd be willing to admit that what you are stating is opinion. It is, whether you believe it or not.

I have a U.S. build Honda with 160,000 miles on it, and have spent only $300 on it for repairs in its ENTIRE lifetime. The interior looks nearly as good as it did 11 years ago!

Other than bad lighting on my picture and leather on the stock photo, I can't tell much of a difference. The second picture was taken of a brand new 1995 EX. My pic was taken at 155,000 miles, at 10 years old on my LX. No junk here, just incredibly reliable, well manufactured, U.S. Honda.
  • havokhavok Posts: 18
    Very touchy subject. The fact of the matter is that Toyota builds better quality vehicles than the domestics. This is not fantasy, conjecture, or opinion. To raise an argument as to which Toyotas are more reliable (U.S. vs. Japan built) will undoubtably hurt peoples feelings and make hard working Americans feel guilty of even buying an import brand.
    I doubt that there are easily accesable reports on which to compare the quality of the two. But do this: Ask someone who works for Toyota (not the salesmen) which they would prefer. They will tell you that either is acceptable but...if it were them they'd prefer that "J" in the VIN before they made their purchase.
    It's really up to you. Would you prefer a "hecho en mexico" Ford Fushion, Chevy, or even a Pontiac?
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    My new 2006 Sienna LE had the 2nd row passenger side bucket seat installed WRONG at the Toyota factory. It also had a sheet metal screw in the right rear tire. The front HVAC fan is not as quiet as the fan in the T&C nor does it provide as much air flow as the T&C fan.
    Time will tell if it will be as reliable as the 2002 Chrysler T&C LX that it replaced.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This argument is going nowhere, and it's not helpful to drag in other vehicles and countries. It's time to move on.

We're talking about the '07 Camry - let's get back to it.

Thanks.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    As to quality, the new Avalon doesn't do well. Look at the forums on this website. And, ahem, even my new Pontiac grand prix ranks better than a Camry according to JD Power....

JD Powers initial quality means didly sqat. No wonder people dont pay any attention to them. As far as claiming that the GP is a better car than the Avy, just wait about 5 or 6 years. Your Grand Prix would be worth less than a bicycle. And if GM bites the dust by then, your Grand Prix would be virtually worthless. Well at least GM's car quality now matches their credit ratings.
  • johnnjjohnnj Posts: 14
    Just my opinion to all this Domestic/Import cars. I'm a firm believer in buying American cars but I just can't take the abuse anymore. Following is a list of cars I've own:

1)1991 Cavalier(New) - Died around 90,000 miles
    2)1995 Eagle Vision(New) - Bad cyclinder around 15,000 miles
    3)1991 Grand Prix SE(Used) - Around 85,000 Spark Plug shot out of cyclinder, plus numerous of other problems
    4)1997 Ford Explorer(New) - 9,000 miles Transmission line broke and leak all fluid. 20,000 miles Pully on motor for belt broke.
    5)1999 Dodge Avenger(New) - This car never made it past 6,000 miles. It sat more at the shop then my driveway
    6)2001 Cavalier(Used) - I have to say this car did good up till 165,000 miles the it died
    7)2001 Yukon XL Denali(Used) - Still own this truck, but have problems with Trans Fluid Leaking, Motor acting strange at times.
    8)1995 Toyota Camry(Used) - Still own this car with 180,000 miles and the only thing I need to do to it was new tires, and honestly I abuse this car by not changing oil for like 20,000 miles each time. The only reason I purchased a new '07 camry was that this '95 camry design was getting old on me.
    9)2007 Camry SE(New)- Love it....
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Why are you trying to kill your '95 Camry? You could sell it for a decent sum of cash if you don't want it anymore, but with Toyota's bad rep for sludge, it seems like I'd be changing the oil at 5,000 miles at least, MAYBE going as long as 7,000.
    Your 1999 Dodge Avenger was a JAPANESE made Mitsubishi. :sick: Don't tell people how well foreign made cars are when one of your worst was made in JAPAN.
    Stay with Toyota Camry ;) if you want Japanese made / Japanese brand reliability.
  • johnnjjohnnj Posts: 14
    Well, actually only the motor was made by Mitsubishi on that avenger that I had. But then again, I don't like Mitsubishi. With that car I had problems with:
    Struts
    Wiring
    Computer
    I forget the rest...
    This excerpt from Edmund's data on the 1999 Dodge Avenger has me confused since it states the Avenger is Mitsubishi Galant-based:

" Overview:
    Nobody misses the Dodge Daytona. You will recall that the Daytona was a front-wheel drive sport coupe based on the K-Car chassis. After a decade on the market with minimal changes, Chrysler mercifully pulled the plug on the Daytona, replacing it with the Mitsubishi Galant-based Avenger sport coupe in 1995."

Even if it was made in the USA, it was designed by Japanese Mitsubishi. :shades:

STAY with Toyota Camry for a reliable, dependable mid-size car. ;)
    We really need to get back to the Camry here. Check in Automotive News for an appropriate discussion, or if you don't see one, you can create it.

I'd really appreciate your cooperation. Thanks.
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    I was looking at an Camry XLS the other day and the sticker said the radio was both XM and Sirius ready, I didn't know anyone made radio's like that yet....I don't recall the brand.
    One question, do they offer remote start on the new Camry? :)
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Posts: 195
    Yes, and my SE V6 has it. It integrates into the keyless entry FOB. You press the lock button three times, holding it for a few seconds on the third time. This starts the engine. The unlock button turns the engine off.

As for the XM/Sirius thing, many OEM radios these days are "Satellite Radio" ready or prepared. This means you can use the tuner of whichever you choose and have it installed into the car. Some of the makes that are exclusive to one or the other are GM which owns Hughes, and in turn has a vested interest in XM, Honda which I believe is still under a contract with XM (including Acura).
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    thanks for the info....how is your mileage on the v6 so far? According to the sticker it is very close to the 4 cylinder
  • JD Powers initial quality means didly sqat. No wonder people dont pay any attention to them. As far as claiming that the GP is a better car than the Avy, just wait about 5 or 6 years. Your Grand Prix would be worth less than a bicycle. And if GM bites the dust by then, your Grand Prix would be virtually worthless. Well at least GM's car quality now matches their credit ratings.

Gee, there's some very insightful commentary here. :blush:

I guess I could also refer you to Consumer Reports. Look up Camry, Avalon and Grand Prix. Look at the reliability stats in recent years.... Avalon is weak, Camry is good, Grand Prix is just as good. Shocking, I know.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I guess there must be a forum for the Grand Prix .. somewhere. But discussing it's merits on the Camry forum is somewhat out of place wouldn't you say?
    Yes it is out of place. Thank you. :-)
  • neno8403neno8403 Posts: 49
    There is no such thing as a Camry "XLS". So either you are talking about the Camry "XLE" or the Avalon "XLS".

Moving on, can anybody on here with the "SE" 2007 Camry please tell me if there is really a difference between the headlights on that model and the non-SE models? Toyota keeps saying that the lights are "blacked-out" but in most pics I see the lights all look the same across the board with the multi-reflector "silver colored" headlamps. A few pics I've come across the light housing does look like its trimmed in black like the 2002-2006 SE's but its hard to tell on the 2007s. Any close-up pics or written confirmation would be appreciated.
  • supergoopsupergoop Posts: 46
    The 1st pic is a SE, and the 2nd pic is an XLE light housing. This is the best I can find: