Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Option availability will depend on the region of the country you're in. Toyota has 12 regions, and the fine print says "not all options or option packages are available in all regions."

That's why when you "build" a Camry, it asks for your zip code, which in turn, selects the proper region. So apparently, only the 15-spoke alloys are available for LE's in your region.

My guess is that the bulk of LE's (4-cylinders at least) are ordered by dealers with standard steel wheels. But the only way to find out is to contact dealers in your area. Some are more willing than others to acquire cars from other regions.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I know it's a different engine but the 3.3L V6 in my 2005 SE gets better mileage on premium (determined via a 2000+ mile trip.) Just about enough to offset the increase price. Can't tell any difference in performance, probably need to go the drag strip for that. Psychologically, it's worth it :)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,387
    >Toyota has 12 regions, and the fine print says "not all options or option packages are available in all regions."

Why would they not allow option packages the same everywhere inside US?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    You are probably going to get better mileage on a 2000 mile road trip anyway.
    Unless you have identical controlled conditions to compare mileage, it is junk science to say you determined premium fuel increased fuel economy enough to pay for the extra cost of gas (or at all).
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Toyota has separated itself from retail sales by allowing the regional offices ( two are independent from Toyota ) to decdide what sells in a specific geographic area.

It works very well. In the flat coastal areas where weather is moderate 2WD vehicles predominate. In NE and the Rockies it's 4WD vehicles. In this way no region is forced to take vehicles it can't sell. To keep the process simple the local region chooses only the options that make sense in that market. It serves the greatest number of buyers with the fewest variations.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    kdhspyder:
    You are correct in your posting. Prior to purchasing my 2007 V6 Camry, I wanted a 2007 V6 Rav-4 in a 2WD. I could not get this vehicle in my area of the country.
    QUESTIONS: What is the point of having the option and trim level in their catalog, when they do not make it available to the customer? If I cannot purchase the vehicle that I want, what is the point of the process? I don't care about the logistics of the company, I am paying for the vehicle, so I should get any vehicle that is in their catalog. I purchased the Camry because of the comfort of the seats, but I am not sure that I will purchase another Toyota product in 2010, (or sooner)! This marketing issue and their V6 transmission issue doesn't speak well for the company! While my vehicle does not have the trans problems,(that are posted on this site), and it presently has 2300 miles, I am very disappointed with the quality of product when I read about the problems being experienced by other owners. If I had to make this purchase again, I might have purchased a loaded Impala or Buick! Toyota had better wake-up and listen to their customer base. This trans issue along with the past sludge issue could be the demise of their total image. Any company can have a problem with a product, but what separates one company from another, is what they do about the problem, and how they deal with the customers. This marketing practice and trans issue is not adding to their professional corporate image! To be successful in business, give the customer what he / she wants at a price. Don't dictate to a customer and don't stone wall the customer when there is an issue with the product! --------- Best regards. ------- Dwayne ;) :confuse: :shades: :)
  • kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    Toyota is poised to become the leading auto/truck company on planet earth.
    They have a commanding lead in hybrid technology [I own one] and their new trucks will take a deeper bite out of the big three.
    Toyota/Lexus also leads the way in advances in safety, where Mercedes used to be the benchmark.

"Toyota had better wake-up and listen to their customer base. This trans issue along with the past sludge issue could be the demise of their total image."

Toyota is fully awake - a few glitches with a new model isn't going to de rail this juggernaut.
    Other auto makers keep setting the Camry as their target - maybe in another decade the big 3 will figure out the formula.
    Regarding the choices it's a question of productivity and inventory balance. When there are unlimited options to choose from the factory then becomes a boutique. In a huge industrial operation this is death on quality. Honda is the extreme. Choose your color and choose your trim..you get no other choices.

One of the features that the detroiters are trying to copy from Toyota and Honda is the production method that keeps tightening tolerances as time goes by. If the production has to be stopped, diverted, restarted to produce onesies and twosies of a product then then quality suffers. It's no mistake that Toyota and Honda have been known for bland center-of-the-market type vehicles. It's intentional. This is where the most volume is and this is where they can run the lines with the same products day after day after day.

This is a small country really. Buyers complaining about the NE region or SET or GST only have to hop a short flight and get a better deal or exact vehicle from somewhere else. Buyers do it all the time.

Transmission concerns on the '07 Camry. I'm happy that you've not experienced any of the posted issues. What if you are in the vast majority of owners? In fact I know that you are. The new '07 Camry has over 450,000 new owners. In total the complaints to the NHTSA is....35 !!
    The owners that do have problems deserve to be happy. IMO it is a very very vocal minority on the internet with the HUGE HUGE majority of satisfied owners never even considering a post. I know at least 20 people with the new '07s and none have any of the experiences being posted here. Hesitation yes, my own '07 Solara does it...somewhat... but nothing to complain about.
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    The solution here is to not make the entire catalog available to the general public. That way you'd never see the options that are available to the regions and not know what you're missing. I'm sure there are many frustrated customers thinking they can get 4cyl manual transmission with navigation & non-leather seats or some such combination.
    Actually Honda is now more flexible that Toyota.
    In the old days when the choices were just DX, LX and EX, you didn't have much choice other than those trims plus color and transmission.
    Now that there are so many trim levels available with the addition of the SE and VP, plus the fact that you usually have the choice to choose manual or automatic transmission, using Honda as an example to justify the lack of choices on a Camry doesn't make your point.
    With the LX and SE you can now get a V6 with cloth seats with or without sunroof and different kinds of rims depending on what trim level you choose.
    On an Accord, you can get navigation with both 4 cylinder or V6 and also with automatic or manual on both engines etc.
    You still can't cherry pick every option, but with so many preconfigured Accord trim lines to choose from, an Accord purchase is now much more flexible than the purchase of a Camry.
    If I wanted to buy a Camry with factory navigation in California, the only choice is an SE/XLE V6 with every option or a fully loaded Hybrid.
    I wouldn't need them to offer any bizarre combos like a 4 cylinder with cloth seats, manual transmission and navigation, but at least a loaded 4 cylinder XLE with navigation should be a choice similar to an Accord EX-L with nav.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    kdhspyder:
    I enjoyed reading your posting. Just for the sake of discussion let's assume that there are only 35 complaints at NHTSA about the trans issue. If this group is VERY VOCAL on this and other boards, wouldn't it behoove Toyota to take some action ASAP to correct the situation. As stated in your posting, the new 2007 Camry has 450,000 new owners. If we subtract 35 from 450,000 owners we have 449,965 owners that do not have a trans problem. QUESTION: --- What is different about the 35 vehicles that have the trans problem? This should be an easy fix. Take 35 NEW transmissions off the assembly line, and install them in the vehicles in question. Then take the old transmission and find the problem in these units! This would solve two problems. First the customer would be satisfied, and second if there are more vehicles out there with the problem, a solution to the problem would be established! Customer satisfaction is the most important part of the solution. Any company must view every issue from both the corporate and the customer side of the problem. ----- Best regards. ------- Dwayne ;) :shades: :)
    Having option packages available does not mean everyone else has to take something they don't want. They just order the car with options to their liking.

> In this way no region is forced to take vehicles it can't sell.

Therefore people in Florida don't order 4-wd vehicles. Very simple.
    Very logical post. The usual technique in some forums is that anyone with a problem is just making it up, not really an owner, or represents an exception and there are 300,000 other vehicles out there without the problem.

Of course no one can "know" the other vehicles don't have the same problem.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i'd have to agree. toyota has been more agressive than most manufacturers going to DBW, and has had units with issues in the Lexus line for example going back a number of years.

the issues people are experiencing and reporting now with the '07 camry are not really new.

now when people report their '07 camry transmissions being replaced, and their problem is gone only to return later, people take notice.
    ;) But then they'd have to print different brochures and stock them separately and ship them separately. All this complexity costs and is potential for errors.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    subtract 35 from 450,000 owners we have 449,965 owners that do not have a trans problem
    a real stretch in logic - just because there might be only a few dozen VOCAL complainers as you say - it doesn't follow that that the balance don't have the problem - indeed the laws of mass production would generally support that ALL the cars must be the same and should exhibit the same behavior. As the owner of an 05 Avalon with the same purported problems found on the Camry 5 speed (that doesn't incidentally, bother me), would suggest that since the issues are not reliability (failure) related, it may be a case that many of the 449,965 owners either adapting to the car or in some other manner simply accepting it!
    I think that 35 real lodged complaints probably understates the level of the problem also. But it is an indication of those who felt strongly enough to go through the process and register a real vehicle with a real VIN.

I'm certain that there are a lot more than 35 dissatisfied in the performance of the vehicle. The problem that arises is 'who has a problem and who doesn't?'. The only way to solve it is on a case by case basis. If say 5% or less are having problems in performance then that's 20,000 customers or so that need to have a solution found.

I feel that number is too high but there's no way for we the public to know for certain. Some as reported here have been satisfied, some not at all, with the service. TSB's and adjustments including new valve bodies, new software flashes and new trannys have solved some problems but not others. Some may be over-sensitive reactions on the drivers part as well.

As these new DBW vehicles start to become commonplace with every maker these types of issues are arising across the whole spectrum. The Camry is a huge volume model so it also has potentially a huge volume of complaints. However perfecting the technology is something that has to be done to improve the driving experience for every driver.
    As these new DBW vehicles start to become commonplace with every maker these types of issues are arising
    an example - a friend with a new Subaru Forester (5 sp I think) complaining about 'hesitation' on gear reengagement. Takes it back to his dealer, is told 'that all these new trannies do this', is treated to a quick 'reprogramming', and has been fine ever since.
    As these engineers are chasing the FE and safety grails, somehow driveability is taking a back seat, and as user777 notes - Toyota/Lexus are in the lead pack of chasers....
  • As a follow up to my original post about the alloy wheels option on the 4 cyl LE...

On Sunday, I drove over to the local Toyota dealership to see what they had on the lot. Sure enough they did have a 4 cyl LE with alloy wheels however it was the 15 spoke wheels not the seven spoke. I'm personally not too fond of the 15 spoke wheels, I prefer the 7 spoke.

I was surprised to see that the dealer had a 4 cyl SE with the 17 inch wheels and the 7 spoke alloy wheels. It's really a nice looking car. I thought finding a 4 cyl SE would be difficult so I was happy to see they may be more common than I thought.

I'm going to make a car purchase this summer, and I'm trying to decide between the 4 cyl 07 Accord, 4 cyl 07 Camry LE, 4 cyl 07 Camry SE, or wait and buy the 4 cyl 08 Accord.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    you (i've) got to give them credit for being on the bleeding edge; whether followers or inventors it doesn't matter to me. but they've got to get it right and they've got to do right by the early adopters and the loyal customer base.

they've been pushing the envelope at least 4 or 5 years with this on the lexus line, then bringing it more mainstream. in the case of the '07 camry, it seems to me a good deal came together a tad too quickly and wasn't thoroughly tested before its introduction. engine and transmission control is something you need to be bullet proof on right out of the gate.
  • Hello Guys,

I just purchased a new Camry Le out here in Philly. Will take deliver on 26th. Now this is my first car ever. What kind of things should I be doing to take care of the car in this winter (ending soon!!!) season. Like before driving it to work everyday, should I warm up the car for a few mins etc...

Is there a discussion thread for these type of questions as well?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Congrats!!

You can ask just about anything Camry related in this general discussion. But have a look at the discussion list here and see what specific subjects have their own discussions.

Keep us posted on how it goes!
  • jack47jack47 Posts: 312
    The experts advise NOT to warm up a car for more than ONE minute...then after one minute start driving at a reduced speed until oil is fully warmed.

That's what they say. That's what I do...and my '95 Camry still runs like a charm....so good, in fact, that I'm almost afraid to buy a new car.
    If I've done several thousand miles of highway driving using regular gas averaging 25-26 and then do a 2000 mile trip (over more difficult terrain), using premium and average 27-28 mpg, I think I can safely say that I got better mileage with premium.
    Enough to pay the difference?
    If that was true, then all cars should be tuned to run on premium since premium fuel gets so much better gas mileage that there is real no cost for it. On top of that, if that were true, having only one fuel grade would save the cost of distributing and formulating different grades of gas, making it cheaper yet.
    like your word 'bleeding' because it points out yet the other marketing motivations for this technology - safety systems. If a mfgr. is going to have a car that 'reads' attitude and then can correct that attitude through slowing steering, slowing engine and tranny responses, and shooting juice to a brake (or brakes) then it must also have these systems electronically controlled. 'Safety' systems, as they are currently perceived, do sell, as does that other motivastor, FE.
    I readily admitted in multiple posts that the improved mileage from premium was offset by the increased cost. I never claimed any benefit other than the psychological boost of getting 28 mpg highway mileage instead of 26.

Are you taking issue my (or anyone else's) ability to calculate a fairly accurate mileage figure over thousands of mileage of driving? Are do you just like to argue? These are rhetorical questions. You don't need to respond and if you do, I won't. Have a great day. :)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,026
    A reporter would like to talk to a recent Camry buyer who traded in a GM model. If interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than February 28, 2007 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your purchase experience.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• palpakpalpak Posts: 21
    So what are the issues to look aout for the 07?

V6 transmission flaring
    DBW hesitation
    Cold weather startup and Dashboard noises
    Windnoise on freeway (very subjective)

did I miss anything else?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Just purchased a 2007 CE, manual transmission. I have zero complaints or issues. Made in Kentucky.