Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "One question for you alpha, why would you rev a new engine up to the redline level on the tach?"

Easy. Because I could, and wasn't going to purchase the car. Salesdude had nary a problem with it, so I did it... a coupla times. Once from rest, once in a 30-50 type move...

~alpha
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    So.... intentionally abusing property that doesn't belong to you is OK if nobody stops you from doing it.

Nice.
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Posts: 54
    I'm getting a Camry Hybrid with navigation, and I'm interested in getting the best ipod integration possible. Ideally, I'd like to control the Ipod through the head unit and steering wheel, but not if the functionality is limited and installation cumbersome. From the Priuschat website, it looks like the best options are these (in no particular order):

Dice Electronics Ipod integration kit (http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm)

VAIS Technology Soundlinq SLI (http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html)

Simple charging cradle w/connection to the Aux in port (no control through radio, but simple and clean)
    (http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php)

Can anyone comment on whether the products from Dice and VAIS products will work with the 2007 Camry, and if so what functions they will allow on the touchscreen?

Thanks -
    Get real! It's called a test drive for a reason! If it was not a test, they'd call it a Sunday drive, or there'd be restrictions or papers to sign, given this day and age. I've even been on test drives where, after building rapport with the salesperson, I've been ENCOURAGED to push the envelope.

Besides, had the salesperson an issue with it, I would not have done it, as stated, I asked first.

As if I'm the only one who's explored a vehicle's capabilities on a test drive...Please! For what it's worth, flooring a Toyota twice hardly constitutes as 'abuse'. Perhaps flogging a '99 Daewoo Leganza, as C/D did, and subsequently threw a rod, would be...

~alpha
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Posts: 195
    I'm glad I am not the only one. I told the saleman before we selected a car to test drive that it would not be the one I would buy, because I wanted to give it a true test, and therefore would break my self-inflicted break in period strategy.

My car came from the factory and was placed into my hands with 6 miles on it.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    alpha - You contradict yourself.

Why make the statement "because I wasn't going to purchase the car. . ." if you didn't think redlining the tach at least might constitute abuse of the engine? Of course you thought it might, but since you weren't buying, that's the next chump's problem.

Who knows, maybe the car you do buy will have been treated to the same test drive. Good luck! :)
    Touche. That said, the only car I ever purchased new, my 03 Sentra 2.5LE... was literally still in the wrappers and had 3 miles on it...

~alpha
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I got news for you fsowirles. All cars come from the factory! ;)
    But seriously folks, redlining a car nowadays is no big deal. These engines are put through their paces at the factory before they are put in the car. If you think this is "abuse" you should see what they do to Porsches. I was privilidged to visit the factory in Stuttgard in 2003 and as soon as the car comes off the assembly line on it goes to the autobahn where there is no speed limits and yes they do rev'em up quite high. It was fun to watch as I stood outside the gate and Hans pulled out onto the street, burned some rubber and took off. That would be a nice job to have.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    With all due respect, when I test drive a car, I expect to gain a snapshot of the performance I would be able to expect WERE I to drive the vehicle on a daily basis.

Yes, I stated that nobody had test driven MY Sentra (my choice), but it should be known, since having passed the 1000mile break-in threshhold on that, I have frequently floored the vehicle in merging and highway driving. This is the way I drive.

Again, with all due respect, its a bit difficult to find a 'fully broken' in test drive unit. That said, it IS a test drive, and the purpose is to determine whether its performance- from acceleration to braking to seat comfort to stereo sound... you name your criteria... is acceptable to the individual. Were it so 'wrong' to floor the vehicle (which by the way, owing to its autotransmission, never placed the engine in a danger zone), certainly the salesperson, a mature, articulate professional- would have prevented me from risking the very machinery on which he places his monetary livelihood.

It seems as though folks on this thread feel I took my test drive Camry LE 4cylinder to the local drag strip and raced it all day long. Not the case. I floored the vehicle to redline a couple times during a test drive. That this is NOT the ideal way to treat the engine does not change the fact that I did NOTHING wrong, or illegal, nor did I place anyone in danger. I seriously doubt any ill consequences for the eventual owner of that vehicle, but even so- this is a Camry we are talking about for Pete's sake- the individual has the right and opportunity TO CHOOSE to take another vehicle with fewer miles, and presumably, fewer test drives.

Indeed, although it was not the practice at the dealership I visited, some do keep certain models as demonstrators to for the very reason of providing a greater number of customers ACTUAL BRAND NEW, OFF THE TRUCK examples.

jbgraham, I appreciate the adage you offered and your kind words., I just wanted to speak my peace on this issue, and will now let it rest.

~alpha
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    This is the fun of test driving. I agree with alpha. No harm, no foul.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Posts: 141
    Absolutely no problem switching to synthetic from fossil as they are compatible. The reason why I said to wait and change to synthetic at 5000 kms if your initial oil is fossil is, it gives your engine a chance to bed in rings and all moving parts. You will want to keep an eye on oil consumption as usual. As a guide, my 11 year old Bonneville with 200,000 kms uses half a litre ( 3.78L to a U.S gallon) per 5000 kms. Synthetic oil is the way to go if your going to keep your ride for a long time. :shades:
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    I suspect you are right. Redlining a new engine is unlikely to cause damage. But why then do new cars still come with instructions to drive "moderately" during a break-in period?
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Posts: 70
    Concerning Test driving any car, you should drive it the way you will be driving the car that you buy! I own an Infiniti G35 Sedan and when we "test drove" the 2007 Camry Se V6, I drove it the way that I drive my G35, Redlining it at least a couple of times a week! With respect to the "break-in" stuff, the demo that we drove had about 500 miles on it(800KM) and I didn't ask the saleperson "permission" to put it through the gears!
    I redlined it to see if it would perform up to the specifications of the V6. Yes, it does and we bought one!
    Test drive the car the way you will drive your own car!
    Have a great day.
  • mishman1mishman1 Posts: 10
    I totally agree with Alpha. I have test driven BMWs, Acuras, Jaguars, my G35 etc. etc. I always test drive them as I would normally drive myself which is very sporty and aggressive. :) How else would you be able to tell if you truly want to own or lease this vehicle and that it would perform the way you want it to based on your driving style? The whole issue is moot. Demos ar for demos, the dealer knows it and so do prospective customers....or so they should. :shades:
  • mishman1mishman1 Posts: 10
    So now that we're all over the huge test drive issue, can anybody tell us if the V6 Camry drives up to expectations? Is it fast, agile, hold the road, gives some thrills? Or is it the Camry of old.....reliable but boring?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    can anybody tell us any story about a 2007 Camry that has nothing to do with redlining, and is not a post moralizing about other members?

Some personal comments have been removed.

Let's move on, thank you very much!
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    'I redlined it to see if it would perform up to the specifications of the V6. Yes, it does and we bought one!'

gbabaluk - now that I found one who bought a V6, can you share with us your driving impressions on the 268 hp engine and the 6 speed transmission? I really want to buy the car (SE V6) and can't find someone who can tell me how it performs (of course there are some magazine reviews but I want it from actual buyers of the car). Thank you.

FiloD
  • jeauxsrjeauxsr Posts: 9
    It performed better & rode smoother than th 06. The 4 cylinder has ample power & should give great mpg, but 2,800 + is a lot of money compared to a Chrysler 300 or Cadilac CTS for neraly the same price + I have $2,112 in credit card credits toward the purchase of a GM product. What would you do??????????? :mad: :D :( :) :cry:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Why won't you test drive the car yourself if you are the one who is going to be buying the car?
    Many people have said what they thought of how they felt it drove and there are magazine articles that give objective data with actual 0-60 numbers too.
    How it feels is relative to what you are used to driving, so you need to drive it yourself.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Posts: 70
    Hi filod;
    First, the SE V6 is as fast or slightly faster in a straight line than my G35.The one we test drove had the VSC(all V6s in Canada come with it, NO CHOICE, as standard eqipment) but it was not as restrictive as some of the magazine writer's want you to believe.
    There is a major difference in the handling of the SE versus the other Camrys including the SE 4 cylinder. Not sure why anyone would buy the SE with the 4 cylinder. THat's like buying the G35 with half the horsepower, makes no sense.
    At speeds of 60+, I did some very abrupt lane changes and the car felt very stable.
    This is a very able "sports" sedan. We have owned Accord V6s, Maximas,etc and the SE V6 is as good as Toyota has done from a fun to drive perspective other than buying one of the Lexus sports sedans.
    Go for it!