Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Well, except a V8 option, the Lexus IS has every single feature available on the Lexus GS. The only real difference is interior room.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Those are major items. The V8 is major and the rear seat of the IS is almost unusable, so if you need to use the rear seat, you have to get something other than the IS.

Both the Camry and Avalon have rear seats that can fit adults comfortably.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    FWIW, the Japanese domestic market version of the new Camry has 4 wheel discs standard on all 4 cylinder trim levels.

~alpha
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    There is over ~150lb weight gain. In order for it to go faster, they have to lower the gear to keep it going. On the other hand, fuel economy most likely will decrease(hopefully unchange). For instance, the Yaris is heavier compare to echo after redesign and the engine was unchange, the mpg decreases! Accord V6 boosts hp for 2006, however, the mpg also goes down!

Still no 4WD available in NA? :surprise:
  • heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    It's nice.

But it reminds me of the smaller version of Mazda Millenia.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Check this out. Is this correct?

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2005/12/2007-camry-info_05.html

Also the 4 cylinder hybrid with 192 hp and CVT. Hope this info is correct..
    That info was found on another site and then posted here already just a couple days ago.
    It may be correct, but it also could be an error on the original site. It is being forwarded around the internet as fact though.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "What I want: standard four wheel discs that are larger"

Why do you want larger brakes? The size of the rotor isn't the limiting factor in the Camry and most cars. It's the tire to road coefficient. If you can lock the wheels on a dry surface, then larger rotors aren't going to make you stop in a shorter distance.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The difference in sales between the Accord and Camry is that the Camry is sold to rental fleets in greater numbers than the Accord.
  • pohtbingsoohpohtbingsooh Member Posts: 1
    http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2005/12/2007-camry-info_05.html
    seemes to be not working for me, anyone else facing the same problem? :cry:
  • cartwrightcartwright Member Posts: 10
    "Some of those things will be on the new Camry, the rest you need to just get an Avalon instead of expecting everything the Avalon has to be on the cheaper Camry. Why would anyone buy an Avalon in that case? Do you think Toyota wants to kill the sales of the Avalon by putting all the features of an Avalon on another car selling for thousands less?"

I wouldn't mind opting for the Avalon if it weren't so darn expensive here in Canada. Toyota doesn't sell the much cheaper base model, XL, or even Touring. Does Toyota think we Canadians are made of money? The laser cruise control is a real baiter for me anyway considering the increasing # of cars trying to cut you off these days. If it were only an option for the Camry, hmm....
  • poiuy3poiuy3 Member Posts: 10
    That is no news. And it doesn't explain why Accord sales is going DOWN and Camry is UP.

Why is al all of a sudden Accord guy?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    explain why Accord sales is going DOWN and Camry is UP.
    As it was explained to me by the local Neil Bonnett Honda sales manager, with the refreshed Accord, 2006s were in short supply for a while, causing a drop in sales, but not demand. Same thing happened in 2001 with the Camry...the 4-year old (98-02) Accord took more sales for a period of 2001 than did Camry, b/c Camrys (Camries?) were hard to find. Not necessarily a drop in demand, but in supply.

P.S. (the manager didn't tell me about the Camry supply problem of late 2001; I read that in MT)
    2005 six month sales numbers for Honda & Camry:

Honda retail=160K, fleet=3375 (2.1%)
    Camry retail=150K, fleet=24K (14%)

By comparison, Taurus fleet sales were 76% of the total and Grand Prix was 52%.
    Kudos, and AWESOME!!! Where did you get those figures? I've been looking for stats on Fleet for ages. Thanks!

Proves my point- The Honda is a better sales story to individuals, and at a lower incentive rate.

Not surprised about the Taurus, but I had no idea the GP was that high!

~alpha
    "Where did you get those figures?"

I'm at work now and I can't remember the URL but it was www.fleet-???" and I found it with a Google search on fleet sales or fleet registrations or something like that. Lots of interesting data there. There are quite a few American cars/trucks in which the majority of volume is fleet (they also subdivide the fleet numbers into commercial, rental, government.) Sorry to get so far off topic.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I'd sincerely doubt the Laser Cruise Control will be on the Camry. It's an upscale feature that the semi-luxury and luxury buyer will go for. The economy minded frugal people-mover buyer will not pay for it. If they put it in the vehicle they'd just have to discount it away at time of sale.

Be careful of the benefits of laser cruise control. In the manual it specifically warns about other vehicles cutting into the window of saftey you have between you and the vehicle in front of you. IOW it doesnt react immediately if someone cuts you off... and it shouldn't. It's not a failsafe device although Toyota is testing an advanced accident avoidance safety system.

Consider what might happen if the LCC system did react immediately to someone who cuts you off when you are going say 120 kph with a 6 vehicle gap between you and the one in front. Suddenly there's 2 vehicle gap. Would you want the system to 'dethrottle' you outside of your control in order to regain the 6 vehicle gap? What if someone swerves into your lane partially and back into their own lane? Again an immediate 'throttle-down' automatically might not be the safest way to stay out of an accident. LCC is a relatively expensive little safety toy at the moment. Nice feature but driver input is much more critical.
    What I want:

standard four wheel discs that are larger
    LASER cruise control (like on Avalon)
    torquey 4 banger
    wider car, if ain't gonna be longer
    stronger sheet metal for higher side impact protection
    A continuation of the good turning circle
    Perhaps those high-intensity discharge lamps (aka blinders)

What I don't want:

smaller trunk
    less headroom
    jagged shifter

These are all great features to have but as others have said the obvious option is the Avy except the 4c.

The basic fact though is that except for the few who want the 2540 model, XLE 4c, 8/10 buyers vote with their wallets and do not want any of the above. And to avoid the mistakes of the domestic carmakers the Japanese and Koreans have recognized that basic transportation sells and makes big bucks when done astutely i.e.; dont load up the vehicles with anything more than the majority of the buyers want and more importantly for what they will pay. Allow the buyer to choose how far up the luxury scale he or she want to travel.
  • llepkyllepky Member Posts: 9
    The Accord is still ugly. That's why the fleets DONT want it. :)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The thing is - the luxury scale is a moving target. What is considered luxury today, may be standard equipment of the cheapest car in a few years.

My 1980 Scirocco came with every available option. That included such luxuries as right hand mirror, rear defrost and wiper, cloth seats (upgrade over vinyl), radio with cassette, A/C, alloy wheels etc. These things are now standard on almost all cars.

The Scirocco did not have (or have available)power mirrors, power steering, abs (or any of todays safety features), power windows, power door locks, automatic tranny (may have been available some years)., intermittent wipers, cup holders, trip computer, outside temperature. All of these things were only on real luxury cars at the time - if they were even available. Now they are standard on inexpensive cars.

Despite what it did not have, that Scirocco had the best feel of the road of any car I have driven - including the recent 530i. Hard to beat manual steering for feedback. Made my Integra feel like an overboosted, understeering, ungainly Buick.

-Dudley
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    America's best-selling car is redesigned for 2007, getting new styling, more power and features, and, for the first time, a gas/electric hybrid model. Camry retains the same overall length as the 2002-2006 version, but adds 2.2 inches to wheelbase and cuts height by nearly an inch. Base-model curb weight is up some 175 lb. New features include standard instead of optional curtain side airbags. The line consists of a price-leader CE trim level, volume LE, sporty SE, and luxury XLE. All come with a 158-hp 2.4-liter 4-cyl engine and a 5-speed manual transmission or a 5-speed automtic. LE, SE, and XLE also offer V6 versions with a 268-hp 3.5-liter and a 6-speed automatic transmission. Camry's previous most-powerful V6 had 210 hp and used a 5-speed automatic.

Both '07 automatics include a manual shift gate. The Hybrid teams a special 2.4-liter 4-cyl gas engine with a battery-powered electric motor for 192 net hp. It teams with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) providing near-infinite drive ratios. Like Toyota's smaller Prius hybrid, Camry's automatically drives on either or both power sources, depending on conditions, and requires no plug-in charging. Antilock 4-wheel disc brakes are standard for all models. So are front torso side airbags, head-protecting curtain side airbags, and, for the first time, a driver's knee airbag.

The Hybrid adds antiskid/traction control that's available for other models. SEs come with 17-inch wheels, the other models with 16s. SEs also have a firmer suspension, and specific trim inside and out. The Hybrid also has unique interior and exterior trim. A split folding rear seat is standard except on SE and Hybrid, which have a fixed seat with center pass-through. Leather upholstery is included on the V6 XLE, available for the 4-cyl XLE and the SE. A navigation system with CD changer and wireless cell-phone link is optional for SE and XLE, as are heated seats. A new-to-Camry keyless-entry/starting system is included on Hybrid and available for V6 XLE.

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/
    Speculating..
    CE 4c ICE $20500
    LE 4c ICE $22000
    LE 4c HSD $26500 Like Pck #6 Prius only bigger
    LE V6 ICE $24500
    SE 4c ICE $23500 + Navi, leather, htd seats, BT
    SE V6 ICE $25500 + Navi, leather, htd seats, BT
    XLE 4c ICE $24500 + Navi, Leather, Htd seats, BT
    XLE V6 ICE $28000 + Navi, BT

+$650 VSC/Trac option where requested.
    Why is the same info being posted over and over?
    Dont know...why is someone whos been a TownHall member for 2 weeks asking such obvious questions?

:)

Sorry, just raggin on the rookie

~alpha
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Hate to be uninformed, so please tell me what is it??????
  • cartwrightcartwright Member Posts: 10
    The Dynamic Laser Cruise Control system (as available on the Avalon) detects slower vehicles traveling ahead and decreases speed accordingly, and maintains a pre-selected distance between the preceding vehicle. It detects when the preceding vehicle changes driving lanes and increases the car to a pre-set speed.

kdhspyder did a wonderful job of explaining the pros and cons of it a few posts back.

ps.

I have a lot of fatties in my family so I'm hopin' that the new Camry will be a tad wider by an inch or so. It'll truly be amazing for a midsize car to have 17.65 + cu ft if what Macleans reported is true. (I doubt it though) That really goes to show that Toyota knows how to utilize the length of the platform, unlike the Impala, which for example, has less legroom in the back.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Got it, thanks.
  • poiuy3poiuy3 Member Posts: 10
    Does the V6 gets better MPG than the I4? Avalon can have 31MPG so Camry should be at least 32MPG V6.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No. Current 4-cylinder is 24/34 city/hwy.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    All-New Sixth-Generation Toyota Camry to Make World Debut at 2006 North American International Auto Show

TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A.,
    Inc. will stage the world premier of the all-new 2007 Camry mid-size sedan and
    the much-anticipated Camry Hybrid at a press conference at the 2006 North
    American International Auto Show in Detroit.
    The Toyota Camry has been the best-selling car in America for seven of the
    past eight years. The completely restyled and reengineered Camry will feature
    significantly improved performance and new level of comfort and refinement.
    Toyota extends its hybrid leadership by making its exclusive Hybrid
    Synergy Drive available in the 2007 Camry. The Camry Hybrid will deliver the
    highest level of Camry performance ever achieved in both fuel efficiency and
    low emissions and also achieve impressive power.
    The press conference will be held on Monday, January 9 at 1:20 PM in the
    Riverview Ballroom in COBO Center and simulcast live to the Toyota display
    area at the show. A video clip of the press conference will be available for
    viewing following the event on the Toyota.com website.

SOURCE Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Very different than the last generation. This model was a 'SE V6.
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Did you have an opportunity to take a picture of it?
    How about more details than that?
    Lot's of 'em. Unfortunately it appears that they have to be hosted to allow picture posting here. Have to work on it.
    ">
    Browse the album....

New Camry/a>
  • day9day9 Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the pictures. Looks very nice.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Interior looks kinda sterile. It's the type that would really benefit from some wood.
    I wouldn't expect wood in the SE. I'm sure the XLE will have wood trim.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    This SE did not appear to have climate control (neither does the '06). Is that accurate? Climate control is a major convenience and though I like the sportier ride of the SE, lacking it is a definite disadvantage.
    Those are the taillamps that I prefer, as opposed to some other photos posted here. I REALLY like the interior styling of this SE, whereas I wasnt thrilled with the 02-04 mainly due to the unattractive instrumentation. This interior should be dang sharp at night. Clean and simple center stack, still ergonomically correct with stereo up high and HVAC still accessible (as compared to where the Fusion puts them- at your ankles).

Steering wheel shot shows A few buttons with what looks to be phones- Bluetooth capability available, even without leather? Perhaps? What else is this?

Back to the exterior, I think its very sharp, though I feel this one had a lower body/cladding kit that will not necessarily be standard; the current Camry SE has one available as well, though I dont see it often.

Alloys arent super different, but are very attractive.

I also agree- you'll see wood in the XLE.

Questions remain- VSC standard on V6s? Output of the 4 cylinder? MPG numbers? Weight? Steering and brake feel, especially on non-SEs. Oh how time will tell..

~alpha
    It seems as that model didnt have AUTO climate control. Not sure if that was a 4 or a V6, perhaps the V6 will have it if the V6 doesnt. Is this really a factor that would make you not purchase a vehicle? Manual control of temperature can sometimes be desirable, as well- read the Subaru Legacy threads on how Limited and GT Limited owners hate that system...

~alpha
  • virtkingvirtking Member Posts: 25
    Speaking of the taillamps, on another forum I read that a guy zoomed in on the rear of the Camry (the one in green) and claimed he saw hybrid badge. If true, then this will further deferentiate that model from the rest. IMO the design shown on the SE pictures is better.

We've waited that long, we will wait for another month... :shades:
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Back to the exterior, I think its very sharp, though I feel this one had a lower body/cladding kit that will not necessarily be standard; the current Camry SE has one available as well, though I dont see it often.

I agree, looks similar to the lower body cladding already offered on the current SE. I hope that's what it is ... I don't really like the current body kit and this one doesn't look any better, IMHO. Pretty sharp looking otherwise, though the interior sure has a lot of silver painted surfaces. Or is that brushed aluminum trim like the current model has?
    This car had the 3.5 V6. I could kick myself for not looking for side/curtain air bags, which I hope is standard this time. Trying to find a '02-'06 Camry SE/V6 with SABs was almost impossible in my region.
    Climate control is probably not standard. Just because this car didn't have it, doesn't mean you cannot get it. They may have bundled it with the navigation system and V6.
    Really? In the Philly area, most SEV6s for 2005/6 have been Premium Pkg+VSC/Side Curtains.

How do you know this car had the 3.5L V6? Did I miss badging? Its gotta say it somewhere, that engine is KILLER!!!

~alpha
    Because I raised the hood. ;)
    Yo, there better be some V6 badging on the production model. If I decide to pay 26 or 27K for a Camry that will out accelerate all its normally asiprated competition, I want an announcement of those 269 horses.... somewhere.

Thank you for all your photos and comments, tommyg

~alpha