Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    If Toyota revives the wagon, that'll be my next car. There's a market for a sport wagon of sorts. Something to compete with Subaru's Outback, Dodge's Magnum, Volvo and BMW.

I believe that The Camry wagon was discontinued around 1996 or so. It was a handsome vehicle indeed. I'll be standing in line to get one, although I'm really doing well with my Corolla.
    I prefer a wagon over a sedan.

It seems to me that Toyota may be hesitant to reintroduce the wagon as it may overshadow the Highlander, high wagon/suv combo.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    I would go for the Subaru Outback. The interior is really nice.
  • lena132lena132 Posts: 56
    When purchasing my 1995 Camry, we never really wanted the wagon. In fact, my husband thought it looked like a herse. So we got the sedan instead and we still have it. Of course, 70,000 miles and 2 kids later, we needed a bigger vehicle. That's why I have a Sienna XLE Limited now.

Judging on the market, there's already a lot of crossover SUVs on the market that wagons aren't really needed.

If they ever introduce it again, I wouldn't really look at it since, again, I have a minivan already. But I want to trade my old Camry in but I'll sure miss it.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    So anyway, since Toyota will build 2 new V6 in the future (3.0 and 3.5) for Toyota/Lexus cars, I think we might see the future Camry get the 3.0. It is rated at 245 hp, and 250 hp is usually the sane limit for an FWD car so that could work perfectly well. And if it needed more hp (to compete with future Altimas and Accords), they'd just need to boost it a bit to 255. But do customers really need that much hp anyway? So I expect all other cars related to the camry to get it too, except for the RX and ES from Lexus because they need more hp (so that customers don't want to buy a loaded Camry or Highlander instead). I know it perhaps seems weird to go from a 3.3 to a 3.0 but that sounds more realistic than a 3.5. But Avalon, RX, ES, IS and GS could get the 3.5.
  • nornenorne Posts: 136
    good point. I don't think toyo would bring back the camry station wagon when they already have the Highlander in the lineup.

What would be interesting to see is how well the new mazda6 wagon will do??? If mazda6 wagon is a hit, than maybe toyo will reconsider??
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    I thought Toyota wanted to style their cars more "european" like?
  • The 2 V6 families that you are referring to are seperate for FWD and RWD applications. The DI V6 family (currently used in Japan's RWD Toyota Crown Royal and Crown Athlete) are currently only in 2.5L and 3.0L forms and will be used in Lexus RWD cars such as the next GS and the next IS ranges. There is a rumour that a 3.5L variation of the same DI engine will be used as the optional engine in the next IS which appears late next year. But the GS will show up with the 3.0L tuned for 245-252 HP. The rumored reason is that Lexus wants to push the V8 models of the GS (There will be 2 V8s with the second showing up in 2 yrs after its introduced as an optional engine on the next LS). The second thing is that due to DI, the engine has a very strong and broad power curve and coupled with the very efficient 6AT is capable enough to rival higher displacement engines from competitors while offering class leading fuel economy. Also, Lexus is trying to differentiate itself from its parent both in terms of design and driving feel and engine choices are being made not with respect to Toyota but with respect to its European rivals.

Toyota's FWD V6 engine family is completely seperate. Right now there are 3.0 and 3.3L variants. The next Avalon is expected to introduce another engine (3.5L). It is yet unclear if this engine will belong to some existing engine family or will be all-new. Will know more when the Avalon is launched next Jan/Feb. The Avalon will have nothing in common with the next GS, not in platform and not in driving feel. Avalon will continue to be on a FWD Camry chassis but its been stretched considerably and will have AWD available. Camry platform mates will see this new 3.5L engine in select applications like the next Lexus RX and ES. The current 3.0 vvti engine will be completely phased out within 2 yrs. The 3.3L will remain in conjunction with the new 3.5L.

Much of this info is the result of magazine and internet rumors coupled with press interviews of Toyota and Lexus officials. Nothing is official but most of this information is expected to hold true. Hope this helps clarify the picture.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    In my opinion Toyota will come back with a wagon. Market trends and conditions are causing several if not numerous car manufacturers to put out a wagon (some call it a sportwagon). I don't think Toyota can ignore that niche of the market.

I'm sure they (Toyota's fat cats) thought about it. Their dilemma,however,appears to be re introducing the wagon without overshadowing the Sienna and the Highlander, two great vehicles.

Owning a station wagon is a matter of personal taste, no doubt. I've had a Mercury Sable s. w. up until May. Ford will have to labor long and hard to match Toyota and others.

Chrysler shares Toyota's dilemma. Making a wagon without stealing sales from the Pacifica and their minivans. Subaru and Volvo don't yet have minivans, so it appears to be less of a quandary for them to improve upon their line of wagons.

I agree with you norne that the Mazda6 wagon may push Toyota to bring a wagon. Currently I'm my second Toyota and trust their dependability and quality. I'd get a Camry wagon any day, but with a 6 cylinder motor and maybe all wheel drive or traction control. I'd want outside heated mirrors as well as curtain airbags, but no leather please. Don't need seating for 8 either.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Everything you report is precisely as I've read/heard it regarding Toyota's application of V6 engines in its front/AWD and rear/AWD current and upcoming platforms. Thanks for such a clear, concise, summary, great job!

My only contention is that I feel the phase out of the FWD/AWD 3.0L V6 that first debuted in the 1992 Camry/ES is going to be much sooner. I was under the impression that once the next gen Avalon production starts, that model will be using the 3.5L as you state, but Toyota will phase out production of the 3.0L at that time, as the Camry LE/XLE will then be the ONLY North American models using that engine, so TMMK will switch to production of the 3.5L and the 3.3L, which is used in the Solara and Camry SE that are also produced there. Of course, this is just speculation...

~alpha
    Well, I've heard something totally different. The 2 new V6 would be built for FWD, FWD based AWD AND RWD cars. So then Toyota/Lexus could use them in all the cars they'd want without mattering about power transmission.
  • Do you think that the 06 camry will come with a awd? together with stability and traction control ? this would be awesome for me,as the older you get the more safety conscious you become.if this is so will postpone trading 98 v6 on an 05 and wait another year,whats the latest news??
    The next Camry will probably appear in summer 2006 as a 2007 model. So this year will be the last year of the Camry (2006 model) before it gets totally redesigned. I don't think it's gonna get AWD, since Toyota has dropped this option a long time ago, in 1992. They probably had difficulties selling those AWD models and didn't made enough money with them so simply dropped them. But stability control and traction control could be available for sure. If I were you, I'd wait until the new 2007 Camry appears, if you want THE latest model. Anyway if you're satisfied with your current Camry I don't think it will be difficult for you to wait 1 1/2 year to get a 2007; I don't see why you'd have to buy a 2005 now if your current car is still good for you.
  • thank you for that info.the only reason i would trade up to a 2005 would be to get the stability and traction control.had thought about the subaru legacy for the awd. thinking of the snow and icy roads of british columbia. the 05 models with sc and tc are scarce.dealer has only rec 2 cars and one was a special order.by the time they get them in, winter will be over and i can wait another year.has anyone experience with sc and tc in the winter??
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    In which region of the country do you live? I'd say that all Camry XLE V6s and most Camry SE V6s in the Greater NY area have the VSC option.

~alpha
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    Is it true that all Camrys will get the 3.3 V6 for MY'06?
  • In canada toyota offers two options for the V6 xle.package B has the sc tc leather seats ,moonroof.the other option does not come with sc and tc. why they are different?? the camry v6's here come from japan.still awaiting to hear how the sc package works in the winter.Anyone??
  • Look to see if the Avalon ges AWD in it's mid-gen facelift. 280 HP, plus competition from the Ford 500 may force them to add it by '08. Then a good year of sales there could bring it late in the next Camry generation.

My question is, with the Hybrid option coming this fall, will that carry over to the 2007 from the launch, or will it go on hiatus and be reintroduced later. Will the hybrid stay with Camry continously, given changes in the engine bays between new cars, different engines being available.

Can Toyota get a 175-180 HP 4cyl with 25cty-32hwyMPG? I think economy is more of a priority with Camry than HP. Toyota would gladly trade 10HP for 2MPG.

I even think a 245HP 6cyl might be too high for Camry. Many Toyota execs over the years have accurately stated HP is a pretty low priority with their Camry customers.

Accord powered up and LOST market share AND sales.

I'd expect Toyota to concentrate more on efficient transmissions, maybe a CVT.

DrFill
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I think Camry customers are more concerned with efficiency than high horsepower numbers.
    Well since the old Avalon production stopped I don't think they're gonna keep the 3.0 in the Camry so that's probably true; when the previous Avalon was still in production, they didn't want to build the 3.0 just for the needs of the Avalon so they kept it in the Camry too, it probably lowered the costs but then it's the opposite situation: they probably won't want to build the 3.0 just for the Camry so it's just gonna disappear. But the 3.3 is also an old engine, a modified and upgraded version of the 3.0, that is put into Toyota vehicles until the 2 new V6 come (3.0, 245+ hp and 3.5, 280+ hp)
  • peterpanpeterpan Posts: 120
    You should go to a Toyota dealer on a rainy/snowy day, and ask to test drive a Camry with VSC.

Go to an empty parking lot and do tighter and tighter figure-8 left and right turns at 20-30 MPH, with the VSC feature turned OFF then ON, for comparison. VSC should be very handy on slippery, tight curves and hilly roads.

I test drove a RWD Lexus IS300 on wet pavement which skidded all over, but was unable to make the FWD ES330, which has the same engine/xmission/suspension as the Camry V6, to skid at all due to the understeering inherent in the FWD. In fact the FWD ES330 really did not like to turn!!! On slippery road it may slip in rather than skid out.

I was also unable to make a RWD Lexus GS300 to skid in tight turns at high speed at all in many attempts. The VSC never had to cut in. The car held onto the road like glue with Bridgestone Potanza RE92 all-season tires.