Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    "When the new Camaros come out the Toyota will be history."

Not going to happen. You got to understand both cater to different people and have different competitors. The Solara's competitors are the G6 coupe, Accord coupe and Chevrolet Monte Carlo The convertible competes with the Chrysler Sebring, Volvo C30 and Volkswagen Eos. The Camaro is aimed at Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang buyers.

One is a loud muscle car and the other is a quiet, ordinary coupe. One has 400hp and the other has 225hp. One is fast and the other is comparatively slow. These two cars are as different as night and day.

So, because different types of people with different needs/wants buy each car, the Camaro wont be hurting the Toyota's sales. GM's only chance at hurting Toyota's sales in the midsize coupe segment are the G6 and Monte Carlo.

If Toyota wants to compete with a Camaro they need to bring out a Supra.......
  • mark63mark63 Member Posts: 27
    What is the starting base price for camry auto.....
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    My guesstimates.. see post #1018. I'd be surprised if they were far off line.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I guess you can view this as a supplement to post 1066..

http://tinyurl.com/8l5c5
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 6
    I'm wondering about the 43/37 claim - apparently this is Toyota's numbers - how will they compare to EPA's estimates? The Prius, of course, is 60 city, 51 highway, but the average mileage I've heard is around 45, not 55 as expected.

Will we see the same thing with the Camry? In other words, will 43/37 be a huge exaggeration, or more accurate than the Prius and others?

Thoughts welcome.

Hoosier
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Consumer Reports experience is that the city EPA mileage claims of the hybrids exceed real world mileage far more than regular vehicles. They got only 35 mpg around town on the Prius but 49 in the highway. For most cars, city mileage was 5-6 mpg less than the EPA rating.
  • chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    I like those "spy" photos that give you a perfect view of the front/back and side (with truck, rear doors open). Look real candid, not.

The frontend is wearing an oversized autobra (to be sold as a dealer option with the Gold trim package). These photos are likely from the Toyota marketing machine, or an disgruntled intern trying to make side cash.
    Consumer Reports experience is that the city EPA mileage claims of the hybrids exceed real world mileage far more than regular vehicles.

To be clear. The automakers sometimes ( often ) do the mpg tests based on the EPA's criteria. The EPA then validates those numbers before they can be put on a Maroney label. The numbers are way off for every vehicle in the US when the City testing is done because the EPA's tests are antiquated ( see post #4295 by larsb on the Hybrids in the News forum ). There is too much variety in what you consider to be city driving to what I consider to be city driving to what the EPA considers to be city driving.

If you drive a Prius or Highlander or the new TCH in exactly the manner of the EPA test then you will get 43 mpg. It's not magic it's just physics. But you have to drive exactly the way they do their tests. When I drive my Prius in exactly the EPA manner I get about 65 mpg with a high value of 90+ mpg. OTOH over several tanks of gas and all kinds of driving I average ~48 mpg combined.

If you use the best features of the HSD system you will get about 40 mpg on the Camry. If you dont use it correctly you will get in the low 30's.. your choice.

CR didnt state how they did their test only that they drove it like any other vehicle, which is OK. As you stated on the city test on other vehicles they report City values ranging from 14 - 24 mpg. Thus the Prius is about 50% higher than a similar ICE vehicle.

Thus one can expect that the TCH should be about 50% more efficient than the 4c ICE Camry. Thats about all you can say. It will show about a 50% improvement.

After 4 Camry's I'm pretty sure of what the City numbers are.
  • jimbobjoeginjimbobjoegin Member Posts: 18
    I hope they do use power steering, its mainly GM's fault for making a faulty power steering

I have already heard that their is a newly created power steering that is already being used in the toyota Yaris that works pretty well

what im most worried about this car is how much more the difference between the 06 and 07 model,if a LE starts around 21.5K I may start to look to others :(
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    Supra production was discontinued in the rest of the world in 2000/2002 along with all the other noteworthy (and affordable) sports cars.
    Every night I go to sleep i pray for a replacement, cause the RX-8 is weak and the 350z is a whale...Forget Lexus, I dont want a luxury car to tool around and horseplay in, nor VDIM....
    C'mon toyota, is a 6 spd, 300+hp sub 1300kg chassis supra for ~30k too much to ask for?
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I agree. SE owners will still be 2nd class citizens.
    I noticed that too, but thought the color actually looked kind of cool in the pictures. It will be interesting to see what the actual vehicle has in it.
    Does anybody who has had a press pass know if they will have Camry's on the floor that we can climb in and out of? Or are they just on a turntable for people to look at?

I remember the year the PT Cruiser was unveiled and Chrysler had 4 hand assembled vehicles that you could climb in and out of, except before the end of the show they had to lock the doors because the public had literally destroyed the interiors in them.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    From the local news I could see two on the floor and they weren't behind rope or anything. I can't imagine they won't let people touch them considering that they'll be on sale pretty soon.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I wasn't bragging or complaining about the mileage, just stating facts. My 2006 Solara SLE V6 automatic has 6,755 miles on it and mileage computer has never been reset and says 30.9. Sometimes it goes to 31.0 then back to 30.9, but never lower. That's town, hwy and waiting for my wife at the mall with the heat/AC on. This may change as I just found out what the select shift is all about and how at 4300 rpm it has lots of power. Now if I could only find the button to add wattage to the stereo.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Sorry, didn't mean to imply Camaro would harm Toyota sales, just said mine would be history (sold) to buy a Camaro. Second childhood, need for "more power" like Tim the Toolman, whatever. I'm 55, retired and don't care about gas prices. Just trying to relive the 60s musclecar era when college tuition put me in a 6 cylinder mustang while all the straight from high school to work guys had Super Sports.

I think your trip computer is broken if it always reads the same within .1 mpg. No way your mileage could be that consistent over 6700 miles.
    When the mileage was less it varied more, but as the mileage increases it may take 100 miles to move it .1 mpg then back, but I assure you I don't drive frugally when entering an interstate, nor do I try to squeal tires from a red light. Just normal driving. Sometimes I put it on inst mpg and it goes from 7 mpg uphill to a max of 99.9 down the other side, but I assure you it gets 30.9 avg most of the time with little variation. I am just telling you what the computer says. I go a long way on a tankful and sometimes don't fill up till the light comes on. It has a 3.3 engine and uses 87 octane BP gas even though the book says I can use 87-93, what's the point with a 6 cyl. No I don't have stock in Toyota, I just stated facts about mileage on a car :) .

• bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Interior pictures of the hybrid on Edmunds lack the hideous fake light wood on other interior pictures. Maybe there's a color and an option to avoid it. Hope so.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is the lifetime average - hence it does not move. If it gets reset, then it will start over. If it is like the Sienna you hold down the two outside buttons to reset it.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    It looks like from the pictures on www.pressroom.toyota.com that the split fold down seats are history! I may have used them maybe twice on all three Camrys I've owned. The 2007 comes with a center pass through which I probably won't use. Anyway, enjoy the 76 pics of the SE and XLE. A detailed rundown on what is what on each trim level including the hybrid is also there. Go Toyota!
    ;)
    Mackabee
    correction, the split fold down seats will still be available on the CE and LE but not on the XLE. The XLE borrowed the recliners from the Avalon.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    According to the press release at www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/camry/camry_newswire_release.pdf (couldn't get the link to work properly), the Camry will have a folding rear seat, including the hybrid, dispelling the misinformation that was posted on another auto-oriented web site, which said the hybrid's rear seat would be fixed.

The SE may have only a pass-through, however. The web site says it is "V-braced" for torsional stiffness. The usual argument against a folding rear seat is that a car with a fixed seat can be made stiffer.

I use the folding seat in my Camry constantly for my bike, so a car without one is a deal-killer.

Now if they could only get rid of that annoying door pull on the driver's armrest. :(

By the way, is it me, or does the '07 look like it evolved directly from the '97 - '01 generation, as if the '02 - '06 generation had never existed?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    No XM radio standard or optional.
    People are quick to say "The V6 only gets 2 mpg less than the 4, so it will not cost much more to own."

Don't forget, besides the additional thousands in up front costs, you need to use premium fuel on the V6 to get the rated fuel economy and power. So it will cost you more for fuel than a 2 or 3 mpg difference indicates at first glance.
    Also, in the real world, Avalon owners often get around 17 mpg in city driving with the same engine.
    You may also have somewhat higher insurance premiums and maintenance costs, cramped engine compartment with more expensive parts and labor out of warranty etc..
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "EPA to lower fuel economy ratings for 2008

Fuel economy ratings on the stickers of new models would drop an average of 10% to 20% in city driving for most 2008 models, and 5% to 15% in highway driving, under testing changes the Environmental Protection Agency proposed Tuesday.

Gas-electric hybrids will be more affected, with ratings for city driving decreasing an average of 20% to 30%. Those models are due to appear in showrooms in the fall of 2007."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-01-10-epa-fuel-economy-ratings_x.htm
    "That is the lifetime average - hence it does not move"

Aha! The trip computer in my HL resets automatically when I fill up. Strange that they are not all the same. Wonder how it will be on the 2007?
    There's no way to rationalize the extra up front cost and lower mileage of the V6. You just have to want the extra power enough to make the financial sacrifice. Many of us have made that choice even though it may have been an economically irrational decision. ;)
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    Sounds to me like you are actually looking at your average speed over the life of the car.
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    Look closely next time. Does it read average mpg or mph?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    If you look at the Nav & JBL Premium audio pics, both have a "SAT" button which most likely means Satellite radio (?). I don't see a pic of the standard audio.
    Satellite radio isn't listed in any specs anywhere, so that may mean an overpriced dealer-installed satellite tuner add-on with expensive installation charges and and ugly antenna will come in the future.
    Satellite radio was available in '05 as a dealer installed option. I think just the radio was $400 with labor on top of that. That's an area where the Accord is ahead of the game.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    No Full-sized spare!
    Heated mirror only on XLE!
    Decrease on both passenger volume and trunk!
    Same tranny(2005+) for 4 cyc model!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2007toyotakit/2007Camry_s.pdf
  • virtkingvirtking Member Posts: 25
    According to a document published on pressroom.toyota.com(camry specs), recommended fuel is regular unleaded. Yes, the doc says it's "preliminary", so it could change between now and when the car goes on sale.
    Yet, if the doc is correct, it brings an interesting question. Since for 2005 the Avalon claimed 280 hp on premium, will the Camry be able to reach above stated 268 hp using the same fuel and/or, which is more important, same torque at lower RPM?

I think I know the answer. After all my current car, Mitsu Diamante '98 (3.5L V6), does not benefit at all from anything above 87 grade, so Camry could be the same. Yet, with stated rating 18/24 city/hwy it gives me ~20 mpg with mostly "city" style of driving and during pure hwy, can climb up to 26 mpg. If Camry V6 can get same or better numbers, it will be on my short list when time is right. :)
    The 280 hp originally stated for the Avalon last year was revised down to 268 hp later in the year to be in accordance with the SAE testing requirements. Notice now that all statements say SAE hp. Now the Avalon, RAV, Camry all state the same thing.

But this is interesting, both the RAV and the Camry do not recommend premium for better performance but the Avalon does. Different tweaks?
    What? The ML320 looks nothing like the Lexus RX300. The new Camry looks nothing like an Audi A6 either.
    Mackabee
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    It would be nice to have the XM in the receiver itself, but you can always use the auxiliary input for the Ipod.
    Then you could use the XM in the house when not driving. That way you only need one subscription.
    I thought I read (probably on Edmunds) that the reduced hp for the 2006 V6 Camrys (compared to 05) was due to rating them with regular gas instead of premium. The issue was allegedly that the manufacturer had to recommend the same type of fuel the engine was rated on.

Don't know if it was the same for Avalon but I believe it originally recommended premium also and now they say 87 octane. There's no mention of the SAE spec on the Toyota website, unlike Honda and Nissan which state that their rating are to the revised and older spec, respectively.
    No its simply due to the SAE testing methodology. It's the same engine. I'll get the citings if they are online. What you might have read is one person's opinion but I'm certain it's not from Toyota. Everything from Toyota here refers to the fact that they took the step last year and revised all their ratings downward to comply with SAE.
    From edmunds Vehicle review of the 2006 Camry, along with the Highlander and Avalon, etc.

What's New for 2006
    For 2006, the navigation system is now available as a stand-alone option on the SE V6. The Camry's stated power ratings are also a bit lower this year due to Toyota's implementation of a new SAE engine testing procedure.

It reduced the original rating from 161 hp when it was introduced back in 2002 to 154 in 2006. for 2007 it has been increased back up to 158 hp but in accordance with SAE testing procedures.
    AUX is better and more versatile than XM if you have to choose one or the other, but they could have done both in the factory for a fraction of the cost of having the dealer or a transit point "port" between the factory and the dealer add it after the car is fully assembled.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Splitting hairs, but when the Camry was redesigned for 02 it was rated at 157, then for 05 160, then with SAE revisions 06 saw the Camry truthfully rated at 154. What we know now is the the new Camry will make an SAE approved 158 horses and 161 foot-pounds, which is not as high as I had hoped, but still decent. In fact, aside from the 2.5L engines from Nissan and Subaru (neither of which has been SAE certified), no 2.3L or 2.4L in a family sedan produces more torque.

~alpha
    As Macabee stated above, beside the 70+ pictures, the pressroom.toyota.com website has a detailed list of specs, std features and options by model.

VSC is an option on Every Camry, including the CE. Too bad they didn't make it standard across the board. I haven't seen anybody mention that ALL Camrys will have a "temp" spare tire - YUK! The V6 does state recommended fuel as regular unleaded as has been stated in a previous posting. The 4Cyl SE and XLE finally have alloy wheels as std. The rear spoiler is not listed as std equipment or an option, so it must be considered a dealer installed accessory as Honda does on the Accord.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "In fact, aside from the 2.5L engines from Nissan and Subaru (neither of which has been SAE certified), no 2.3L or 2.4L in a family sedan produces more torque."

Actually, the Sonata 2.4 makes more torque (and hp). All the 4's in this class are pretty much the same powerwise though.
    Thanks!

Interesting that the SEs lose the standard power moonroof, curb weight is up 120 lbs on the LE 5A (dont know why its not broken out for the 5M, which Im'm sure is lighter). EPA passenger space is down by .4 cubic foot on non-moonroof models (for whatever reason, the 06 specs didnt break-out the moonroof equipped versions, so that direct comparison is impossible).

~alpha
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    2006 Camry spec
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2006toyotakit/2006camry_s.pdf

2007 Camry Spec
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2007toyotakit/2007Camry_s.pdf

Just wonder where does it specify that the 5speed auto is all new? (the 6speed is definitely all new)
    I apologize for everyone who misleading info on the 5-speed auto is a carry over! However, Gear ratio and final drive ratio on the 4 cylinder are exactly the same(2006 vs 2007). I simply just assumed it is carry over!
    It still "could" be a new developed one when it was in late 2004!

All my info are based on the site (pressroom.toyota.com), i "assumed" the source is reliable.

2006 Camry Interior volume: 101.8 cubic feet
    2007 Camry Interior volume: 101.4 (99.7 with moonroof) cu ft
    2006 Camry cargo volume: 16.7 cubic feet
    2007 Camry cargo volume: 14.5 cu ft(SE, XLE), 15 cu ft (CE, LE)
    True point, I stand corrected! The Sonata does indeed produce 162 horses at 5800 RPM vs. the Camry's 158 at 6000 RPM and the Sonata produces 164 foot pounds at 4300 RPM vs. the Camry's 161 at 4000 RPM.

The Hyundai however, is mated to a 4 speed automatic whereas the Camry's is the 5 speed. As fan of Toyota's 4 cylinder powertrains, I need to point out the 5 speed auto in the Camry 4 is NOT the same as the 5 speed that was universally panned when paired with the 3.0L V6 in the 02-06 Lexus ES and Camry models. I must say, though in Hyundai's back to back roadshow of the redesigned Sonata vs. the Camry and Accord (both 05s), the 4 was definitely the Toyota in performance feel if not quite sound and refinement (which was really only noticeable at either idle or wide open throttle, but not under normal operation).

Both the Sonata and Camry 4s are somewhat heavier than the competition, at 3266 lbs and 3285, respectively...

carzzz- I withdrew my comments shortly after posting, re-read the message. Still, .4 is a barely noticeable difference, and likely at the cost of the signficantly enhanced structure due to side impact safety. Its disappointing that the trunk shrunk as it did, but thats not really something that a majority of buyers will care about. I'm much more disappointed that Toyota couldnt manage, or chose not to manage to add Dual VVTi to the 4 cylinder than anything else. This would have bumped HP and by a smaller margin, torque, while likely simultaneously bumping MPGs.

~alpha