Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    I hardly think you're a newcarholic if you're driving a '95 Accord.

> when is right time to buy a new car to replace an old one?

Economically speaking... it's when the old car dies. Emotionally speaking... as soon as possible.

:)
  • yes, i'm cured then. :)

well, recently i bought a new car for my wife. that old car pissed me off big time. since then, i started thinking about getting another car to replace my car.

people told me not to buy a newly redesigned model to avoid the increased demand and to avoid some quality issues. so when is good time to buy this 07 model in order to get a better deal and avoid any potential issues? any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  • I'm in the same boat you're in. I want to buy the '07 Camry but it is a known fact that first year models have a lot of bugs - even Toyotas.

My '03 Accord was a first year re-design and is basically a lemon :lemon: The '05-'06 are reporting few problems.

Unfortunately it takes at least two years to get a model without bugs. So...take your chances or wait for an '09.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    I have a feeling all the XLEs, regardless of color, have that yellowish fake wood plastic. The car I sat in had gray leather and it had that color plastic. I think it's standard on all of them. That's also what I've seen in all the interior pictures I've seen of the car.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The wood looks ugly, but they only show pics with the grey interior. It probably would look better with the tan interior. The yellow wood clashes with grey. They should have known better than to combine those two colors.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    ".. it is a known fact that first year models have a lot of bugs"

Nonsense. This is a misconception carried over from many years ago. If you look at Consumer Reports data for Toyota and Honda, you will find excellent quality throughout the range of years shown. You can't extrapolate your Accord experience to the entire vehicle population.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If anything it's some annoying little nits. nothing major. Heck it's just about the same vehicle as before with better styling and more safety features. Not a whole lot different
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I beg to differ. I own a 2002 Camry XLE. It was purchased about 6 months after the new model was released. The only problem incurred to date was a minor rattle in the moonroof (repaired under warranty). It now has nearly 100,000 kilometers (60,000 miles). It has only required regular maintenance since the day it was purchased. I may have them check my brakes next time I take it in for an oil change. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. The point is, not every vehicle has problems in their baby year. And if they do have "bugs", it certainly doesn't take 2 years to work them out.
  • larryt22larryt22 Posts: 125
    I agree it does not take 2 years to work out the bugs. Heck it is more like sometimes they never do. On the last generation Carmy, the 2006 model year has the same squeaks and rattles that the 2002 did. Just poor design with too much plastic to make them not have interior squeaks and rattles I guess. From what I saw at the Chicago Auto Show, it looks like there is just as much plastic as before so I don't expect any miracles when it comes to those noises. If you live in an area with constantly changing temperatures or cold weather like I do, you just turn up the radio when they squeak and rattle and try to ignore them. The 2007 isn't a complete new platform, it is just a revision of the old one. If you want a 4cyl, the mechanicals are still the same. If you want the 3.5, the engine has been proven in other models, so the 6-speed auto is the main mechanical difference. I can't imagine there is much of anything on the 2007 that is unproven that should stop anyone from buying a 2007 and waiting for a 2008. If this is the car you want, then you ought to go for it as soon as you can find the one you want and can get the deal you are satisfied with.
  • I agree. 2 years seems too long. But anyway, I'll probably wait for a while until initial demand goes down little so that I can get a better deal.

Considering this is just a family car that everyone has, would there be any initial rush of demand at all?
    When I went to the Chicago autoshow, people around me didn't seem to be too impressed with the 07Camry. I overheard people saying like, "is this new camry? ...(silence)" and saw them just walk away. Not many people around the carmy (at least when I was there) compared with, say civic,vw?.

A few things I found out at the autoshow were,
    *Aux input jack is hidden inside the storage space.
    *even CE had audio controllers on the steering wheel.
    *one model had Toyo tires while others had Michelline (not sure whether it was CE or not).

For those who's considering a 07, are you considering vehicle stability control with tracking? I never had a car with VSC, but I never had any major problem in snow/rain (I live in midwest). But I saw a couple of articles saying that VSC is worth every penny. Anyone has some opinions/experiences?
    For those who's considering a 07, are you considering vehicle stability control with tracking? I never had a car with VSC, but I never had any major problem in snow/rain (I live in midwest). But I saw a couple of articles saying that VSC is worth every penny. Anyone has some opinions/experiences?

Go here to the European Ins Inst testing. there is a great video on Stability Control. Click on 'Recommendation' and follow the links.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/introduction.php
  • kdhspyder:

Re: Your comment that the '07 Camry is just about "the same vehicle as before...not a whole lot different."

I live near the Georgetown plant, so our local media give a lot of coverage to what goes on there. A story just the other day, about the assembly line start-up for making the new model, quoted a Toyota spokesman at the plant saying the new Camry has 2000 parts, 1200 of which are different from the '06 model.

Of course, "different" is a little subjective -- how different, for instance. And some different parts, like a new engine, make a lot more difference than a new cupholder. Still, it would seem there's enough "different" in this new model to possibly, say, fix those rattles, but also cause new issues. Who knows.

My '02 Camry XLE had a rattle or two, but otherwise the quality was excellent.
    I agree with you--the yellow plastic clashes with the grey interior. It would look much better with beige or tan interior. Let's hope. At whatever price, it's going to be a bargain, since both the engine and the new 6-speed transmission are also used by Lexus. Basically, if you're willing to sacrifice the lush interior and a few other Lexus options, you're getting a Lexus for the price of a Toyota.
    Good point. In viewing it online only it seems very similar, especially the CE/LE version but I'll defer to the specific details you mentioned. Tks ;)
    you're getting a Lexus for the price of a Toyota.

This is one of the reasons for the Camry's overwhelming success. It's one the Detroiter's dont see. If you put an ES330 next to an LE Camry it's amazing that every body panel, with a few tweaks/curves, is exactly the same on both vehicles. One could take the bumpers off one and put them on another. Interior niceties for sure make Lexus standout.

But the $20000 Camry buyer is buying a 4c Lexus. It 'feels' and rides like a much more expensive vehicle.

By comparison, driving an Impala does not feel like one is driving GM's flagship Caddy.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    ...passenger seat should be 8-way, not just four way.

I agree! That was the only reason I bought an '05 XLE so my wife would have more flexibility in adjusting the passenger seat.

Oh well, I guess they've always got to find a way to cut costs (temp spare and exposed gooseneck trunk hinges are others).
    210 delray: You mean the '05 XLE has an 8-way adjustable passenger seat? Didn't know that. So they've downgraded some features while upgrading others. The bare trunk hinges are also a downgrade, as noted earlier.

But it could be worse. The $50,000 Acura RL luxury vehicle has only a 4-way passenger seat, much like the Honda Accord. Fancy that.
  • I sure do wish we could get this Camry variation in the states...Its the Toyota Aurion and Aurion Sportivo. It will only be offered in Australia (from what I heard). It will replace the Avalon in Australia but it clearly looks like a Gen 5 Camry on the side-profile, a Nissan Altima SE-R mixed with a Gen 5 Camry from the front, and the 2007 Camry in the rear. I like it. The goldish colored Aurion is the Sportivo version.

• I am impressed with the new 2007 Camry. With the Avalon 268 hp V-6 and a sixth gear, why won't it out accelerate and get better mileage than the 300 lbs. heavier Avalon?
    Good job Toyota, you have raised the bar for the 2008 Accord. Keep up the good work.
  • VSC is great in the snow. I was up in the mountains in a friends Prius - not exactly noted for its sticky tires. But it was holding a nice straight line through the snow without chains while the AWD SUV's in front of us were fishtailing all over the place. Really impressive. (We put chains on eventually because of DOT requirements, but we probably could have gotten along without them.)