Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Saab?

1383940414244»

Comments

• harmiclirharmiclir Posts: 8
    Fine. You don't want to take my word or Geico's word for it then I suggest that you drive VERY carefully as long as you own your car because you will not be able to get it repaired in any reasonable period of time or for any reasonable cost. There is NOTHING profitable connected with Saab at this point. The only reason I have a new rear bumper is that another Saab was conveniently totaled the week before I brought it into a very well-regarded body shop.

As to engine spare parts, who knows? Saabs are worth more "dead" than they are "alive" at this point. Whatever happens in China or with any relic of the old Saab is irrelevant to those of us who own, and love, a Saab.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,694
    Well, it does look like GEICO is wrong. Read more here.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    ...then I suggest that you drive VERY carefully as long as you own your car because you will not be able to get it repaired in any reasonable period of time or for any reasonable cost.

No skin off my nose - I drive a VW.

The only SAABs which may have an issue with parts availability is the new 95 and the 97. So few of those were made that body parts will be tough to find. Mechanical parts will be easier as they are basically GM.
  • harmiclirharmiclir Posts: 8
    seemed like considered opinions of Geico and my highly regarded body shop. You can accept it or ignore it. No skin off my nose, either.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I don't think I would make any more of those lease payments though. ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,929
    Maybe.

Saab Deal Delayed (Straightline)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Whether this deal goes through or not will have no real effect on any of us. The "new" Saab is going to produce electric/hybrid cars for the domestic Chinese market.
    edited August 2012
    I dunno, there's still a lot of brand equity in the Saab name that could be put to use in the EU and in North America. I could see the name being licensed for another ICE model, maybe produced by a partner automaker if they convert the Trollhattan factory to nothing but EVs.

Last I heard, the various parties were still fighting over rights to the brand name.

And I understand that the Swedish government was taking over Saab Auto as a loan repayment, but I don't know if they get to keep the name either.

"Dutch company Spyker said it was suing General Motors for $3 billion on behalf of its subsidiary Saab, accusing the U.S. automaker of deliberately driving Saab into bankruptcy by interfering with a planned deal with a Chinese investor."

Spyker sues GM for $3 billion over Saab bankruptcy (Reuters)

My guess is that Spyker wants to settle this fast in exchange for the use of some of GM's technology.

• I wish I could have any confidence that this was going to "end well" for Saab but I think you are quite correct that all that is left of our beloved company is a carcass, otherwise known as the "nameplate." I don't believe that Spyker has any leverage with GM at all at this point and that GM has already written down its investment in Saab to zero and will flick Spyker aside like a flea.

There is no value in Saab for US or European Saab-owners. Any "Saab" that exists, GM tech or none, will function only in China.

Game over.
    Next GM will say that it's not their problem since Old GM was the one that got rid of Saab.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036
    "Dutch company Spyker said it was suing General Motors for $3 billion on behalf of its subsidiary Saab, accusing the U.S. automaker of deliberately driving Saab into bankruptcy by interfering with a planned deal with a Chinese investor."

I've gotta laugh.

Spyker is suing GM for interfering in their sale of GM technology they licensed to a competitor in GM's largest market.

BWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!
    "My guess is that Spyker wants to settle this fast in exchange for the use of some of GM's technology."

My guess? Spyker's just extorting some 'hush money' from GM.
    lol, bet you're right. They are saying they didn't need the technology anyway.

Follow the money. 3 billion is a tidy amount of hush money.

"Youngman and Spyker will launch a second joint venture to be called Spyker Phoenix, which aims to develop a "new full range of premium car models based on the (Saab) Phoenix platform." The Phoenix models "will be positioned higher than the comparable Saab models were," said the Spyker statement. The Spyker Phoenix vehicles may be built in Europe and China, the Dutch car manufacturer said."

Spyker and Chinese Plan To Launch Saab-Based Cars (Inside Line)

edited September 2013
    Didn't expect to see this discussion revived, much less the brand.

"Two Saab 9-3 test cars have rolled off the line here ahead of a production launch later this year, said National Electric Vehicle Sweden."

Saab 9-3 Test Cars Roll Off the Line

But nothing electric. What market can there be for these Saabs? Besides a Saab fanatic, that I?
    Sounds like an EV is in the pipeline.

"National Electric Vehicle Sweden, the Hong Kong-based company that bought the brand out of bankruptcy in September last year, presented its new 9-3 Aero Sedan as the first in a series of new cars it will produce.

The company, also called NEVS, said the first 200 cars will be delivered in the spring and will cost 279,000 kronor ($42,500) each. Next year, it will also launch a 9-3 wagon, followed by convertible and electric models."

Saab is back: First cars produced under new owners (Detroit News)

I'll believe it (real EVs, not just smoke) when I see it.

Oops, maybe need a different metaphor...;)
    edited December 2013
    Motors on every wheel.

Burnouts!