Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 530xi - 2006

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hehe, I got the 530i WITH the Sport Package and I live in New Hampshire. True, the Summer Performance tires that come with the SP are completely worthless in the snow, however, they are FAR better for the remainder of the year. So, what did I do for the winter? Simple, I got a set of winter tires for it and away I went. Better traction in the winter than with the All-Season tires of the non-SP cars (and AWD cars too), and better performance for the rest of the year because of the better suspension and Summer (or better said, Three Season) tires.

My advice, get the 530i with the SP and get a set of winter tires, it is the absolute best of both worlds. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,574
    I wouldn't recommend the 530i for winter driving without winter tires... All-seasons aren't much help...

If you absolutely won't swap out tires, then get the 530xi..

But, you'll have a much more enjoyable car, if you get the 530i.. and put on winter tires.. Whether you get the sport package, or not..

Oh yeah... I recommend the sport package, as well...

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• beamingbeaming Posts: 40
    It's all a matter of personal preference. If everyone liked the same thing we'd only have vanilla ice cream. I suggest that you take each of them for a drive. It also depends on what kind of driver you are. I am an average driver, I like the car to have power for merging into traffic and for passing etc. I do not need a V8, I tend to have a lead foot and that would make it easier for me to get into trouble. I like control in inclement weather, including rain. I do not like the idea of having to change out wheels.
    I opted for the 530xi. Everyone I know that has had an AWD car says they would not drive anything else. I also like the softer ride of the non-sport pkg. version. I do not like the high performance tires with the sport pkg., plus you feel all the bumps and it's a stiffer ride. Again, different strokes for different folks, that's my 2 cents.
  • freddybbfreddybb Posts: 95
    Beaming, I am with you on this one -- not just on selecting the 530xi, but on your "different strokes for different folks" comment as well. I had a private email exchange with Shipo before I made my final decision and I totally agree with all of his points, but...for me the 530xi made more sense (my first BMW, life is too busy for tire changes, not an aggressive or demanding driver, others in the family will drive the car sometimes, etc.). However, I predict that my next BMW (I hope I will like this one enough to become a long-time BMW owner) will more likely be one like shipo and kydfx suggest -- once I get into the driving experience some more. No one is wrong or right -- just different tastes and needs at different points in time.
  • gull1gull1 Posts: 2
    How long have you had yours? Does the xi package help with snow and rain? Is it noticeable?
    Always wanted an MB, but am concerned about the quality not being as good as 10 years ago or before. Still believe in the German engineering so I drove the 525i, 530i and even the X5. Liked the X5, because of the potential winter weather driving. Fairly conservative driver, but the 525i didn't have the power that I wanted. The 545i was way to much power for domestic driving. Just trying to gather information to eliminate any second thoughts after the cash goes out the door. Thanks for any thoughts or information.
    This will be my first BMW as well. I am looking forward to the arrival of my car sometime next month. I am a former Mercedes owner and have always been very pleased, however they did not have a product that fit my needs/wants right now. The C is too small and the E wasn't sporty enough. Good luck with your new BMW. Do you have it yet? If not, when do you expect to have it?
    I don't have my 530xi yet -- expecting it in about 4-6 weeks. I bought mine after beaming got his -- and got the same deal he did ($2500 off MSRP) after being inspired by him to shop around!
  • rwengerrwenger Posts: 15
    A question: I like the shadow trim. That would be about the only reason I'd select the sport package on the 530xi touring model. The only other feature listed for the sport package is sport seats. Can anyone confirm that the 530xi with sport package has the same suspension as without? I don't want a firmer ride than the standard 530xi. I would also value opinions (experience) about whether the sport seats are significantly more firm or less comfortable than the standard seats.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
  • eglegl Posts: 5
    I have looked into this whole thing and to the best of my knowledge the sport package does NOT have a "sport" suspension. The only 2 items you get are the shadow line (I want that, too) and the sport seats. Unfortunately for me, I am seriously considering the "comfort" seats. That option costs $1200 extra whether you get the sport pkg (which already includes the more expensive sport seat) or not. So, I get no credit for the sport seat I am paying for in the sport pkg, and the way I figure it I would be paying the whole $700 sport pkg cost for just the shadow line. Bummer.

Shortly, I will be placing my order for a 530 xi sportwagon. I can't decide whether to get the wheel upgrade or not. I winter in warm climes, so I really don't need the all-season, snows, or AWD for that matter - just the wagon part!

I like the look of the 18" wheels, but wonder how the larger wheels, and performance tires will affect the ride. If the sport package had a sport suspension, it would be more clear to me. But, there is no sport suspension available on the xi cars.

Will the ride be much "harsher" since the suspension is the same? And, will the handling be noticeably better? OR, am I just getting the look.

I'd appreciate any thoughts (even guesses) any of you may have.
  • rwengerrwenger Posts: 15
    egl: Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply. What motivates your interest in the comfort seats? I really don't know much about them. Are they that much more comfortable than the standard seats or the sport seats? Do you know if the sport seats are relatively uncomfortable?

Concerning your thoughts about the wheel options: I have no first hand experience with this issue but I have read several places that run-flat tires can be harsh. For example, this has been a common theme even for the Lexus SC430 roadster. Quite a few complaints are in the Edmunds Forum about this under that thread.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Whether you like the feel of a sport seat is entirely subjective. It is stiffer than the nonsport seat, which is not necessarily a bad thing--it depends on what feels good to you. Test drive both sport and nonsport seats. It's the only way to know for sure which you prefer.
  • neglexneglex Posts: 5
    Can I ask where you bought your BMW? We want the same car? Thanks.
    Am I allowed to do this? Host, please let me know if I can name particular dealerships and/or sales people in response to a question.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Dealership, city, and state, yes - individuals, no. Thanks for asking!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ok neglex, here's where I purchased my 530xi: Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH.

The salesman there was very professional, gave me no BS or try to sell me what I did not want, and kept the commitment he made to me via email without any hassles.

I emailed a bunch of dealers in the Boston area and the guy at Tulley was hands-down the best to work with as well as the best price without hassles like "show me my competitor's quote" or "come on down!!!"
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    ...here's where I purchased my 530xi: Tulley BMW in Nashua, NH.

Good to know - that's where I hope to buy mine as well. Were you dealing with the sales manager/internet contact, or did you work with a salesman? Did you name a price and they accepted it, or did you have a little back & forth?
    I worked with the "Internet Manager" who responded to my email inquiry off their website. I asked him what he wanted for the car, he responded, and I went back with a more aggressive counter that he agreed to. We quickly reached an agreement via email and then it was smooth sailing after that.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to assume that you didn't have the chance to test drive the 530xi since few people have demo "x" cars, and instead just drove the regular 530i. Have you noticed any differences?

I'm guessing that since the 530xi is rear wheel biased and the difference in weight is only 250 pounds, there isn't much difference, but I'm curious. I don't like ordering a car that I haven't driven before, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception. ;)
    No, I did not drive a 530xi, but I did drive an automatic 530i as well as a manual 545i. I wanted to drive a manual 5 series to see how it felt and I am guessing the manuals in the 530i and the 545i are pretty similar. I was told by the salesman that "if you can tell the difference between how the 530i and the 530xi drive then you should be driving for BMW!" and I tend to agree with him. In any case, I am not an aggressive driver and would not tend to notice differences unless they were really significant (and I don't believe that the 170lb difference is a big deal). That's not to say that I won't turn into an aggressive driver once I get my hands on my stick-shifting bimmer!!
    That's pretty much what I figured - thanks for the feedback.
    Hey freddybb:
    I picked up my new 2006 530xi Tuesday, July 12. Funny thing when I ordered the car in May the dealer said it would be about 8 weeks. It was 8 weeks to the day from order to delivery. The car is awesome and drives like a dream. I can't imagine having (needing or wanting) any more power (mine is the steptronic automatic). The car has lived up to all of my expectations and then some. I know you will be just as thrilled as me when you get yours in a couple of weeks. Also, I found the order tracking on the owners' circle to be pretty acurate, some others thought there was a lag time but mine was right on. It's going to take some time to learn all of the features, little by little, everyday a new surprise. Good luck!
  • dsilver2dsilver2 Posts: 12
    Hi, beaming,
    I have a 2006 530xi on order also, I was wondering when you were tracking your car on the net, did you see the options listed in that options' box? I don't see any of the options listed in that box.
    By the way, looks like the schedule on my car is also gonna be exactly 8 weeks.
    Other than that, enjoy your car, I am sure you love it and keep us informed.
    Hi dsilver2:
    The options were not listed in the box which I found disappointing as it would have been nice to confirm that the car was being built as ordered.
    It only gave the exterior and interior color, black sapphire metalic and auburn. Did you get silver as your name indicates?
    This is freddybb, waiting for my 530xi too (black, grey). Congrats beaming -- keep us posted, although I am pretty jealous! No, my options are not listed either -- the site is pretty lame and I would have thought that they had an email option (i.e., they send you an email when the status changes from one step to the next). Maybe they have this and i just have not noticed.

I was browsing the M35 forum yesterday (after all, that was my second choice) and read about a lot of happy owners with very few problems. I hope we have the same experience with our 530xi's!

Also, I noticed that the 530xi weighs 3638 lbs while the M35x weighs 4004 lbs -- almost 400 lbs more! That's the kind of feeling I got in the M35x when I test-drove it -- a heavier, bulkier, car compared to the airy sports car feel of the 5. I wonder if 400 lbs in lesser weight makes up for the 25 less HP that the 5 has (280 HP in M35 compared to 255 HP in 530xi). Remarkably, BOTH cars have pretty much exactly the same "Pounds per HP" value (something I came up with, not an official statistic). The 530xi is 3638/255 = 14.27 lb/HP and the M35x is 4004/280 = 14.3 (exactly) lb/HP!! OK, OK, I am being really nitpicky here but just having fun!
  • dsilver2dsilver2 Posts: 12
    Hi, beaming,
    Yes, I got the silver/grey.
    The car is due to arrive around the first week of August.
    I got all the options except the sport package, I didn't like the seats or the ride that comes with the sports package.
    I hope I made the right choice since I am coming out of a Lexus LS430 which had no problems whatsoever in 4+ years of driving. I am sort of a little concerned about the reliability because of reading about all the problems involved with the 7 series. I hope they didn't mess around too much with the 5.
    Keep in touch so we can compare notes and happiness without any problems.
    I picked up my brand new 530xi last weekend, only to have to take it back to the shop where it has been for the past three days! I was so excited to get this car, but this experience has numbed my excitement and left me afraid about what reliability problems are to come.
    Apparently there is some kind of electrical malfunction that is causing the iDrive screen to be so dim that it cannot be seen, and the "High Battery Drain" warning message comes on intermittently. Has anybody else experienced this problem? The dealership does not seem to know what is going on and is working with BMW to resolve it.
    They first gave me a Neon to drive, but are switching me to an X3 -- but all is want is for the 5 to be fixed.
    Beautiful car, but I wish it worked out of the gate. Now I have friends sticking posters on my office window at work saying "My other car is a new BMW, but at least my Neon gets me to work!" -- how cruel they can be :-)

Oh well, all the waiting and then this -- I hope I get it back soon.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    We got the stationwagon, and it is great..I am sure they will get the problem in your car figured out and fixed....The driving experience is to be loked forward to, I assure you....Our I drive takes some getting use to, and it is a challenge, but the challenge is sort of fun.imo...Right now we don`t just get in the car and drive, as you always have to be ready to respond to the un known...Good luck Tony
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    Get the awd. I've had both and get 120 inches of snow each year.
  • dpndpn Posts: 7
    we'll be buying one in '06. a few questions you price-savvy surfers may be able to help me with.

1. anyone do euro delivery? is it worth the cost savings
    2. anyone buy from a state with no tax. considering flying to a state with no sales tax and driving it back.

thanks in advance for the feedback,

-D
    I considered taking a European delivery when I purchased my 2006 530xi but in the end I decided that I did not want to relinquish my car back over for transport and wait an additional 8 weeks to receive back in the states.
    If you purchase a car out of state you will end of paying the taxes on it when you title it in your home state.
This discussion has been closed.