Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio

Comments

• b3nutb3nut Posts: 83
    how far up it goes once the engine control module gets things settled in. I've read in a lot of places that Hyundai engines take some time to break in and tune themselves. Do drive gently and vary the speed a lot during the first 600-1000 miles, this is true for any new engine.

Are you noticing a general uptrend yet riomike?

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    be sure to fill us in over on the Optima board about your new baby! Congratulations! :D

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• would someone please tell me how to post a new message.thanks
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,758
    Scroll to the bottom of this screen. There should be a place to enter the title for your post and the text of the post. Then press the button "Post My Message."
  • hickenbhickenb Posts: 3
    Have a Spectra ex 8 months old with air automatic and cruise
    has 8000 miles. Would like to trade for 3000 plus T.T.L. Is this reasonable????Let me know what you think. I am a retired new car dealer and like anew car every 6 months or so.
    Unfortunately, $3000 sounds about right. Edmunds' TMV trade-in value for a Spectra like that in outstanding condition is about $10k. The invoice on a Rio LX with automatic and power package is about $13.7k, and there is a $500 loyalty rebate now. However, the TMV retail price on the Spectra is about $12,350. If your car is really a cream puff and should sell easily, you should try to negotiate a higher trade-in value since $2400 profit is a lot on a used car.

IMO the Rio is a lesser car to the Spectra, but it's your money.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    IMO the Rio is a lesser car to the Spectra, but it's your money.

Of course the Rio is a lesser car than the Spectra, it's the lowest end of the line up! I get sick and tired of hear people trying to compare it to the Spectra! It's not meant to be like the Spectra.
    So would you pay someone over $3000 for the privilege of driving a '06 Rio instead of a nearly-new '05 Spectra?
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    I'm with you. Trading even would be tough. $3000 more; forget it.
  • riomikeriomike Posts: 39
    3K is a lot of money but I will say that I am enjoying my 2006 Rio5 (which my wife has taken over as of late) almost as much as my new 2006.5 Optima. I would suggest that you wait a month or two, I think Kia will eventually have to come out with a cash back offer on the new Rio. Maybe with the owner loyalty and anothey 500+ it might be worth your while!
    Of course not!! I didn't mean that. I was just commenting that the Rio is a lesser car. There have been many comments in the past like some people don't know that.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Kia just announced they are building a $1.2 billion facility near West Point, GA. West Point is about 60 miles south of Atlanta on the Alabama line. It is about half way between Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta and Hyundai's manufacturing facility near Montgomery, AL. They will have 2 assembly lines and an engine assembly line. The plan calls for it to begin production in 2009.

Looks like Kia plans on aggressive gowth over the next few years. That is good for everyone.
    glad to see Hyundai-Kia investing more and more into US automaking infrastructure. With the new plant will come at least six supplier plants as well, that will create around 2000 jobs. Hyundai-Kia big boss Mong-Koo Chung is a man with a plan. Ford or GM should hire him as an independent consultant...he's a pretty brilliant guy. Anyone who fires bean counters and replaces them with engineers is an A-OK guy in my book. :shades:

Their products just keep getting better and better, and I wish them the best of success with their new US venture. Big 3, watch and learn.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    First thing necessary is to sign in. Welcome
    Going to the DMV to fetch the title for my ZX2, and head over to the Kia place and negotiate a Rio5 deal. I bet the dealership is slow today, it's snowing in Madison. Still trying to make up my mind between the black and the sapphire blue...the black's sharp but that blue is pretty.

Drove one again yesterday, had a chance to take it on the highway. Pretty darn smooth little car, especially for its class. It's a comfy fit too, I think I'll be happy with the little car. :)

Todd in Beerbratistan
    I love my Rio5 (white) so much that when I bought the 2006.5 Optima LX last week and gave the Rio5 to my wife I was so jealous. I know it sounds nuts but I missed my Rio and couldnt fully enjoy the Optima. So I signed the Optima over to my in-laws last night and went out and bought another Rio5. This one is in Saphire Blue and you are right, that's one sweet color. Maybe I am obsessed with Rio5 and my pals think I am nuts for giving away the Optima (BTW they are taking over the payments they dont get it for free!).

You are also right that its comfy because as I mentioned before, I am 6'3 and have more than ample space in Rio5. Anyway the Optima was getting poor gas mileage and I dont like the feel of a heavy car. My in-laws like heavy cars becasue until it died last week they were driving a 1986 Cutlass Supreme. Compared to optima (which was very comfy as well) Rio5 is light and peppy and a pleasure to drive. No wonder it won a couple of most improved car awards for 2006.

Good luck Todd!!
    Looking out my window at it now. Just have to do some final paper signing when my wife gets off work, and my plates will go on it and it'll be mine and the bank's! :D So far I'm enjoying the car...driving it to Michigan tomorrow. Gonna have to vary my speed a lot for break-in, but between Madison and Chicago you'll vary the speed enough for anything. :P Just wish it wasn't snowing...OTOH it's not nearly as bad as the weatherman was claiming, so I can't complain too much. Darn good little car, and I'm glad I went Sapphire Blue. :)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    Enjoy your Rio5, b3nut. I think you made a great choice.

We're holding onto our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4, it is just too handy to get rid of with eastern Idaho's snowy winters. It will work out great if we go off-road a tad in the spring and summer, too.

But I have kept the '06 Rio's and the '06 Scion xA on my potential futures list and will enjoy reading and learning aobut them as time goes on.

Do publish your driving experiences in here, b3nut, OK?
    Excellent choice. BTW-the 2006 Kia Rio5 is one of Motor Trend's top 28 cars of 2006. It out-braked the Mitsu Eclipse and out-slalomed the 2006 Audi 3, IIRC! ;)

I still may be heading the Rio5 direction later on!

• tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I spotted the weirdest thing today.Someone had put a FORD
    blue oval emblem over the KIA emblem on their sportage.
    It will probably cause the Sportage to be (Found on road dead).
    Good grief! You might want to post the name of that dealer as a heads-up! I bet the higher-ups at Kia would not be amused to hear of this cupcake. Sorry you had to deal with such a wretched dealer to get your Rio5.

I just completed a quick road trip in mine, I had to drive to Michigan (from WI) over the weekend. Got plenty of break-in speed variations thanks to the always-erratic traffic, especially in Chicago. :D Even during break-in my highway mpg is over 30 so far. Let's see, first four fillups, roughly: 27.5, 33.2, 23.5 (city & stop'n'go), 30.4 (highway on the way back, with a bout of bad gridlock). Highway crusing varied between 55 and 80mph, and gravitated toward the upper end of that scale rather often. ;) So far so good, I think...very pleasant car to take trips in. Had 6 miles on it when I pointed at it on the lot to indicate that I wanted it Thursday, and it's got around 800 miles on it today. :D I love driving it...it's a hoot! My dealer said Kia is working on an accessory cruise control and it should be out soon. That's a good thing, since this car LOVES to motor along at 80 like it's nothing...I don't want to see blue and red lights flashing through the back window... :surprise:

Todd in Beerbratistan
    Hey Todd, any news on when that cruise control will be available? Also wondering if they may come out with a steering wheel radio control accessory, I would like that even more then cruise because I get so distracted by my chanel surfing and that accessory would make my life a lot easier!
    I'll post here as soon as I hear something from my dealer. I'm going to be doing all my maintenance there, so I'll be there fairly regularly (I do oil at 3K). In fact, I'll be over there this afternoon to do an oil change, I like to get my factory oil out at around 700-1000 miles, then go on a regular schedule at 3K. If on the off chance any residues or whatever are in the engine, this gets 'em out after a good run-in. A bit anal, but I think it'll help...last new cars I bought I did that to.

I do know the Rio in some countries has steering-wheel controls for the radio and for a phone, not sure if the wiring is present in the US-market Rios to make it feasible to add the switch pods after the fact. It would be fun to be able to "pimp" our US Rios with some of the Asian/European market goodies! :D

Todd in Beerbratistan
    yeah, the 2006 Scion xA's have the audio controls on the steering wheeel...I kept pressing the wrong button to accompish what I wanted, though! :P

I would eventually get used to it, but, you know, audio controls on the wheels are only a so-so item to me.

It sounds like your new 2006 Kia Rio's are just fantastic little cruisers! I continue to be amazed at the intelligent design of my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4. I have yet to blow a light bulb out yet, anywhere on the rig! I replaced the OEM Hankook SUV tires at 102,000 miles, and safety was really not an issue at tire-swap-out time!

I did have my alternator go out at the 88,000-mile mark while driving to hospital clinical training in Missouri in late 2004. Including towing a local mechanic fixed me up for about $330. Kind of high and it was a stranding breakdown, but hey, what does anyone expect from a rig?

This Sportage 4x4 handles the snow like it was built for the snow. Kia and Hyundai, I believe, have fully caught Toyota in quality and Kia and Hyundai resale values should now hold steady. Much like Matt Hasselback and the Seattle Seahawks will hold up in the 2006 season. Solid and strong and swift and sure. Now if the NFL will control the gambling aspect of the game (the Steelers were allowed to rob the Seahawks of the crown because of the nasty, awful pathetic bought-off refereeing). I've never, ever seen such one-sided calls in all my NFL viewing years. And I have watched all the Steeler's great teams, the Vikings of old, etc. Seattle was robbed of the Super Bowl title on February 5, 2006.

It's not so easy to rob a car maker of their right to be deemed the best. Watch Kia and Hyundai soar like falcons. Don't think Atlanta Falcons here, either! :P

• yeddoyeddo Posts: 20
    Todd....good idea. The dealer was Evergreen Kia in Evergreen Park, IL.

I DID call Kia corporate in California and they told me that since their dealerships are individually owned, there wasn't alot they could do about it. I've already filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the States Attorney. In the meantime, I'm putting miles on the car.
    I DID call Kia corporate in California and they told me that since their dealerships are individually owned

Aren't ALL dealerships individually owned, but still have to answer to the manufacter the represent.
    ..that's what I thought. The gentleman I spoke to did say they were going to call the dealership and the district manager but over a week has gone by with no response from anyone affiliated with Kia. It seems to me that good business ethics would dictate that the customer should at least be kept in the loop to know what is going on. Guess not!
    That makes me a little nervous. I have 2 Rio Cincos (2002 and 2004). Although they have been trouble free, it makes me feel uneasy the manufacture doesn't stand by their product let alone thier dealers.
    I just think this dealer thought I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it cause I liked the car so much, it was the end of the day, I had to get to work, etc., etc.. My thought is: if they did that to me, what are they doing to other people? Like I said, whatever recourse I want is out of principle and I hope Kia corporate realizes how much bad publicity they're getting from this.
    are often able to get away with crap and the manufacturer can't do a whole lot other than possibly pulling their dealership contract if a dealer gets completely out of hand.

Do keep calling them, though. And continue to file complaints against the dealer. I hate seeing a great up-and-coming carmaker saddled with bad dealers. I sure like my local dealer in Madison (Russ Darrow). Keep us posted on how you fare with it. Down with Evergreen! Boooo!

Todd in Beerbratistan
    The sad part is I don't want to judge the car by the dealer....but......

thanks for your support!!