Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio

Comments

• at the city library at Pocatello. Now that you've mentioned that I'll probably just check it out at the library.

This new '06 Rio looks good in both the sedan and hatchback form, with each one having it's own merits. I don't think I could go wrong with either one, though it has to be a manual tranny.

I really like the standard safety equipment built into each and every '06 Rio and '06 Rio5. :D

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• on this thread for a couple days was not true. The '06 Kia Rio sedan and Rio5 hatchback will get speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack and pinion steering.

I did a little research because I was interested and found out the truth. Very nice, though, and I think it will prove to give the Rio/Rio5 a responsive and sporty feel around turns.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    You meant "have", not "will get", right?
  • To save everyone the trouble going to the library, here's the direct link to the actual article which is now online:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=10249

Kia Rio/Rio5

Still bottom dollar, but no longer cheap.

BY ROBIN WARNER
    December 2005

-SM
  • I meant the '06 Rio sedan and Rio5 have speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack and pinion steering.

• does your '06 Rio have an automatic transmission or manual?
    :D

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    11.8 seconds to 60 is surprisingly slow, given the decent output figures of the 1.6L engine- perhaps those figures arent accurate (ie... SAE Certified)? The COTY issue of MotorTrend also has the Accent tested at 11.8 to 60 with the 4sp AT.

~alpha
  • from 0-60 in 9.5 seconds according to the December 2005 Car and Driver magazine. I would take their word for that but I'm not the type to worry about acceleration, either.

For us it's either a 2006 Kia Rio5 in 5-speed form or hanging on to our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. SE Idaho gets a decent dumping of snow I've found out! The Sportage's 4x4 is really coming in handy! :D

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    C/D's was an estimated time. Motor Trend's was actually an instrumented test. Big difference, and I'd put more credence in the instrumented test, even if it is from MT, which I dont particularly care for.

~alpha
  • numbers like frandaman's keep me interested in either a 2006 Kia Rio 4-door sedan or Kia Rio5. That's a pretty good testimony on your Rio, frandaman...that's the type of report I look forward to getting on these new "Euro-designed" Kia's.

Oh, BTW, the Tropical Red 5-speed Kia Rio5 for $14,190 is still at my local Kia dealer, which is only a mile-and-a-half away from me! :)

• new 2006 Kia Rio5 that I particularly like.

Photo courtesy of the autochannel.com

I see some Mazda body design in it...is that the Mazda5 I see in there? The Mazda5? Kia has (had) a working relationship with Mazda in the 1980's and used the old Mazda 123 chassis to plop it's original Sephia body onto.

No, this is the first picture I have found of what will probably be our next car that looks a tad Mazda-ish to it.
    I like this one...I put it on my computer's Windows page as the background and this one will be the one that stays there. The color of the car in this picture is close to the one at my local Kia dealer...it is Tropical Red and this one is either that color or an orange of some sort. I like them both and either color would be great. :D

Mazda? How about Mercedes-Benz! Have you noticed that the roofline is very similar to that of the new MB cross-over vehicle? The Rio5 costs a bit less, however. ;)
  • if it was between the 2006 Kia Rio5 and the new Mercedes-Benz crossover vehicle I'd still pick the Kia. Even if somebody were going to give it away to me, I'd pick the Kia.

Good body design is an art, it's either learned properly or it isn't. MB designers could learn from Kia designers. I'm serious, too. :D

iluv, iluv, iluv... take the Merc! Sell it, buy a Kia and have enough left over for a nice down payment on a house! :)
  • now you're talkin'! :D

• I have an automatic.
    Road & Track has a short take on the Rio and Rio5 in their January issue. They were not exactly blown away by the car (remember they get to drive exotics all the time), but they had some favorable comments and noted the improvement over the prior generation. They summed up with "it does what it's designed to do" or something like that.
  • mag writers say as dead-on accurate to what I like or want in a rig, either. I know that they spend time in the exotics and other-worldly types of cars that I would never be interested in. If one thinks about that that's bound to have an effect on how they view the "lower end" cars that I like and that I buy.

The 2006 Kia Rio/Rio5 are big improvements over the last generation, but, then again, I didn't think all that much was wrong with the last-gen Rio's!

One big improvement, IMO, is the car's wider and longer wheelbase and stance. It's got that muscular look to it and a nice style flair as well, and it has the CVVT motor that will generate better gas mileage and produce fewer emissions at the same time. A winning combo indeed! :D

• The 2006 Kia Rio/Rio5 are big improvements over the last generation, but, then again, I didn't think all that much was wrong with the last-gen Rio's!

You are right, I have a 2004 Rio Cinco. It's been a great car. I had plans (before the pics came out) to replace it with a 2006 Rio Cinco now 5. But Kia had to screw it up by giving it a cheap "hatchback" look rather than the..IMO..better looking and more popular..again IMO.."station wagon" look.
    One of those "eye of the beholder" things I guess. I think the Rio5 is very sharp-looking, with a definite Euro flair, while the Cinco was kind of cute but very '90s in its rounded styling.