Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio

Comments

• gy563gy563 Posts: 44
    Not that I know of...
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    black or silver. Looks better than past Rio's, IMHO.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    So when is this car suppose to be released here?
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    This summer.
  • gy563gy563 Posts: 44
    I wounder how much this car will cost here in the United States?
    (I heard that In Korea, price of this car is about 9,000~12,000 U.S. dollars (with all the options we are not getting, like mp3, front heated etc...)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The only thing I can't stand about the new Rio is the large black mouldings. Will these definitely be coming here? Will you be able to get them body-colored? They are just too large and look odd. I LOVE the rear tailight design on the hatchback though. Very European. So far though I prefer the upscale looks of the Accent over the Rio.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    That car is so cute! I like the interior as well. Lucky Koreans
  • btpbtp Posts: 2
    Hi Jeff - I have a 93 Honda Civic DX and purchased the R12 to R134 kit. I'm having problems distinguishing between the "High" and "Low" side - both ports are near each other. One is closer to the front bumber and the other is on a second line set a few inches behind the other one (the second one is closer to the engine block). Which one would you consider the Hi and Low if oyu recall from your Honda conversion?

Also - if I choose NOT to deplete my old R12 by a technician, could I simply manually deplete the old R12 in the air at my home by pusing in the nozzle on one or both ports? Is this illegal? I read that this could be dangerous so it would be done in open air, of course if I am legally able to do it this way. Would it remove all the old R12?

Thank you and I look forward to getting cold air again in my Honda.

Brent
  • cookie55cookie55 Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if the Rio hatchback is coming to the U.S.?
  • jemtecjemtec Posts: 40
    Hi brent.
    I wouldnt recommend discharging your R12 (whatever left) manually.
    Mainly because having a "tech" remove it helps get some of the R12 based oil out of the compressor, and helps your system have a "vacuum" in it.
    Shops will usually do this removal for free.
    Call the shop first and tell them what you are doing and that they can have your old R12, and heard they can remove it for free.
    Go to a place that specializes in AC repairs and installs.
    About the Legality issue.
    It is"illegal" to just dump R12 into the atmosphere so I myself went the route of taking it in and having someone take the old stuff out. :)
    R12 and R134A, when released, can be dangerous if someone was to break the shrader valve (the little "pintle" valve thats inside of the High and low side ports)
    Its also used on Valve stems of Automotive tires.. etc etc.
    When leaving the system, R12 and R134A will freeze objects that are near the valve as the gas leaves.
    Just like when you spray something out of any can.. (spray paint, WD-40..whatever) the can gets cold when you spray enough of the product.
    They make it sound almost deadly.. I suppose it could be if you managed to somehow put a can of refrigerant to a High side valve ( which is under "pressure" instead of "vacuum" like the low side is).
    The High and Low side valves use different size ports.
    The Low side is larger in size than the high side and you will notice that the valves that come in the kit (threaded aluminum units with a valve in them) may or may not have a Blue or a Red Plastic Cap.
    The Blue Cap is (blue=cold or "low") meant for the low side, and only fit on the low side valve.
    The Red Cap is the High side (red=hot or "high").
    You might get stuck with Black caps, but you will see that they are not the same size and are not interchangable.
    Make sure when you install the valves over the original valves, you dont reef them down.. Tighten enough to snug.. if you reef, you will bend the pintles on either the new or old valves!
    The R-134A connector (that the cans spin on)they give you in the Kit, will only connect to the Lowside port as its sized with safety in mind.
    Its totally foolproof.
    About refilling,
    Be careful of your measurements.
    Turn the A/C button on, full cold temp on the slider, set the fan speed to "High" and run at an idle.
    Look at your R134A connector hose that came in your kit.
    It has a brass fitting, where the cans screw on to.. Make sure your valve is turned out so the sharp metal "pin" isnt going to puncture the can as you screw the can onto the connector.
    When you turn the valve to the right, it will screw downward, and eventually puncture the can..
    You fill by opening the valve again after you feel the resistance of puncturing, then the gas will start flowing as you turn the valve back out again.
    Make sure the can is "upside down" with the cans valve pointing down.
    It helps with filling.
    You can attach and remove the connector in the same way you do with Airtools.
    There is a coupler, and you lift up on the coupler, press the connector down on the port with a small amount of pressure.. and release the coupler to lock.
    Using these above steps:
    Fill the 2 oz Oil can first.
    Then add the First can of R134A.
    It will take about 3/4 of a can additional once you have finished filling the first can.
    Simply, disconnect the coupler, reset the valve position, (there might be a slight discharge of gas remaining in the can), load your next can.
    There is no danger when you do this.
    I figured 19oz was the figure for a refill at 85% fill rule for R134A. (its 23 Oz if you refilled with R12 again). On your Honda.
    The Cans only hold 12 Oz each, so BE Careful on the 2nd can because you can overfill if you arent paying very close attention.
    Once you have partly installed the 2nd can.. turn the valve out to close it again and to prevent further filling.
    Be quick about it!
    Once disconnected from the Low Side, you will be left with a bit of R134 in your can.
    It will probably very slowly leak out of the valve when sitting, so be prepared for that.
    Fortunately.. R134A is way cheaper than R12!
    Just make sure that you absolutely dont overfill your R134.. Its better to be slightly "low" than too "high".
    The cans will go from Full to empty in about 45 seconds when filling.
    Keep in mind that R134A is basically 85% of the coldness of R12, so it will never be as cold as R12.
    But its much better than nothing. :)
    Good luck.
  • jemtecjemtec Posts: 40
    One Addendum to my last post..
    Turn the valve IN.. to close.
    Not Out.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    How much will it cost?
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    highway. Still a good improvement over 2005, but the highway mpg for the manual should be 38-41 especially with the auto's numbers.

2006 RIO
  • gwidogwido Posts: 25
    Looking at the specs, you can see a significant difference between the high gear ratios of the manual and auto transmissions. I suppose that can explain the automatic's better highway mileage...

It's good to see improvement over the current model. But Kia will need to bring a hybrid version of the Rio (supposedly considered for 2007, along with a Hyundai Accent hybrid) to really compete on the mileage front.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    I bought my mother a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco. It has been a great car. I was disappointed to see that they have screwed up the rear styling (as well as the Spectra 5). Looks like to me like they are trying to copy the Matrix/Vibe, Sicon (can't think of the model but it's a hatchback) etc. Yes, the new name will be the Kia Rio5,
  • Haha, of course, I'm Korean. In Korea, this car is named "(New) Pride" as most of Korean miss one of best models, that is old Pride.
    Compared to previous Rio, new Rio has more larger dimensions as well as higher power. (I don't know how this new Rio will change in U.S.)
    What I felt so far is that new Rio has became economical. Especially diesel version of Rio has really owesome mileage. Somebody ever told he was able to drive approximately over 950 kilometers with his diesel Rio when his car was filled up. (new Rio has 45L gas tank) Unfortunately I couldn't buy diesel one... I just bought gasoline one. However the gasoline one also provides nice mileage.

In addition, its exterior and interior are very handsome. Frankly, I can say it's european style rather than american style. Whatever it looks like, you will meet new Rio soon, then it will be up to you to judge.
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    I wounder how much this car will cost here in the United States?

Funny you should ask. According to PRNewsWire,

The Rio sedan is available in two well-equipped models - Base and LX. The Base model starts at $10,570 and comes equipped with a five-speed manual transmission. The LX model starts at $12,445 and comes standard with A/C, AM/FM/CD audio system, power/tilt steering and a 60/40 split folding rear seat. It is available with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission.

Rounding out the Rio lineup, the Rio5 five-door comes in a sporty SX trim that includes all of the features found on the LX model and adds 15-inch alloy wheels with 195/55R15 tires, fog lights, rear spoiler, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, metal-grain interior trim and metal pedals. Starting at $13,500, the Rio5 SX is available with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission.

Estimate about $1000 for the auto trans.
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    The Kia flash site for the new Rio used to say "Arriving in August". I just checked in and it now says "Arriving in September". Problems, perhaps? Or maybe can't get them delivered in time for a big rollout?
    :confuse:
    Day before yesterday, I bought a 2004 Rio Cinco with 1900 niles! I wanted a 2005 but they were out of then as well as every dealer here. Anyway, they told me the 06's were supposed to come the last week in August. I would have waited but I'm not to crazy about the restyle.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    may look better in person than it does on the Kia flash site. They have a cool program that plays there (after downloading it) that shows Kia plant machinery slapping on the new Rio bumper assembly (complete with audio effects). It's fun to watch and shows some nice views of the new small car from Kia.

Incidentally, those side mouldings Kia puts on at the factory are very nice to have on from the start. I like that a lot. On both my 1999 Kia Sephia and my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 I've bought side moulding and put it on after I bought the vehicles. They have saved my Kia's from many, many door dents. Can't wait to see this new Rio in person and on the road.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• HI there everyone. First time poster...I had a chance to test drive the 2006 Kia Rio 4 Door sedan on Saturday here in Canada. WOW! What an incredible improvement over the 2005 model. It truly is better in every way. Highlights really are the great new styling, much improved ride and very quiet on the freeway. The seats are also much improved and are VERY comfy. I am impressed and Kia should sell a ton of these little cars.
  • Full pricing on this car is out there now -- Edmunds doesn't have it yet, and I can't link because it's on a competing site and the mods don't like that. Some Googling will bring it up. Anyway, it seems a little on the high side to me, once you load the car up (and I mean that generously -- "loaded up" in this context means you get power windows and full wheel covers). It's possible to break the $15,000 barrier on the sedan. That's Scion territory. Is this thing really that good? Anyone else driven it yet?

-Andrew L
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    What pricing have you seen? The upmodel 2006 Rio LX with the Power Package (power windows, locks , keyless, heated mirrors, and added tweeters) brings the price to only $13585 which includes destination. Wait 6 months and that would probably be at invoice -rebate so what maybe $12-12500. Is that a bargain- I don't know but sticker prices mean little with Kia and Hyundai unlike the Scions where MSRP is minimum price.
  • Rio LX with power package, auto trans, ABS and floor mats comes to $14,905. That seems steep for such a small car. If it's a very good small car, though, maybe it's still a good deal. The old Rio was a real tin can -- I checked one out at the Philly auto show last year. Hopefully this one is more substantial.

-Andrew L
    I own 2 Rio Cincos a 2002 which my mom drives and my 2004. The are far from "tin cans"!! Believe it or not (even I can't believe it) my mom is very hard on cars. I have had to replace her front rims and tires. It seems she cannot see a curb or pot hole! She done some really doozies with it besides that. The car has 30,000 miles on it and besides what she has done to it, it never has broken down once.
  • I didn't mean to knock the current Rio. For $11K or so, I'm sure it's a decent car. I'm just saying that for $15K, you can get a Hyundai Elantra or a Suzuki Forenza (or for that matter a Kia Spectra) which are larger cars with pretty good levels of standard equipment. The new Rio will have to be a pretty impressive car at that price point -- and maybe it is. I was just asking for some more driving impressions. FWIW, I do like the exterior looks of the new Rio. I really hated the styling of the original Rio (2000-02, I think)...the restyled one looked a lot better to me, and the '06 looks better still.

-Andrew L
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    at year end closeout, you can swipe a leftover stick shift Elantra for $11,000 or so.

Same with the Forenza. Only you get the automatic too.

But the Rio is a decent cheap car for people on a budget.

A better deal than an Echo...
    Ok I understand. Your right about the new Rio. I also think that the styling of the 2002 is not as good as 2004. I would have considered a Spetra if my budget had allowed. IMO all Kias are really a good deal considering what you get for the price.
  • While coming to work this morning on I-95 in Melbourne, FL, I spotted a white Kia Rio on the back of a car transport semi. Only saw it for a few brief seconds, but it was definitely the new model.

Looked very distinctive with the Euro-esque plastic bumper guards and relatively tall from my vantage point. It also appeared quite bigger than the current model. Call around to your local dealers; I'm sure they're just now getting them in stock.