Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio

Comments

• Thats the exact car that i purchased couple of weeks ago. i had my site up for people to see the color. here it is if u missed it. this time ill remember not to put a period at the end lol. http://lowrider.cardomain.com/id/devilslayer05

Interior was an adjustment cuz its really light. But i still like it. I saw the darker interior and didnt like it at all.
  • do you find that you have enough room up front when another adult is sitting in the passenger seat next to you? My wife and I have a decent amount of room up front in our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. I like this new '06 Kia Rio sedan and '06 Kia Rio5 both but am concerned up front about the amount of shoulder room available in them.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• pictures again, kiario06. Very nice car, I officially would like to have one! :D

I would take the dark interior, but would look at a lighter color interior along with the dark and then make my decision which one I like best.

• Me and my husband drive together all the time and i find it a good amount of shoulder room. Ive never found it quishy between us and hes a pretty big guy. Although in the 04 we had, sometimes when he shifted, sometimes he would bump into me but now we dont have that problem. They certainly made it more roomier than the older models.
  • my local Kia dealer has an '06 Kia Rio sedan like yours, only it's an automatic. They also have an '06 Kia Rio5 hatchback in stock, and it has the 5-speed manual. It's selling for $14,195 and has power everything. They got the black '06 Rio sedan like yours in first, about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The '06 Kia Rio5 hatchback/wagon they just got in about a week and a half ago. The Rio5 is Tropical Red, it sort of looks like the San Francisco 49'er red, if you know what that looks like. I like it a lot.

So, I have my eye on the Rio5 in Tropical Red. The only option it has is carpeted mats. It has a spoiler on back, and a windshield wiper in back as well.

Your input on the shoulder room has left me with warm and fuzzy feelings about it. Our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 is fine but I would like the 32-35 mpg for mini-trips exploring our new home, Idaho. I may talk to the dealer soon. What's cool is that they're only about 1 1/2 miles from our home. Robert Allen Kia also sells Mercedes-Benz along with Kia's here in Pocatello, Idaho. What a combination, huh! :D

• BTW-there is no scientific research available on the Internet or even your local bookstore (or even your favorite local newspaper)that can substantiate any way that Kia Motors was improved by Hyundai Motors.

Now although this message comes from some time ago, keep in mind that the Sephia was built atop a modified Mazda 323 and 626 platform. I used to own one and was not a bad car, but recently had it totalled and purchased a 2006 Rio. The car although with a smaller, supposedly less powerful engine than the 124hp in the Sephia is a WORLD away in the architecture. I miss the Sephia in that I only had 2 pymts left but do not at all because of the driving experience of the Rio. Little vibration at high speeds (85-100mph) which I normally do in anything I drive and excellent acceleration.
  • I'm thinking the same thing. The new 2006 Kia Rio sedan and Rio5 both look really good. A lot of car for the money and great performance and fuel economy.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,727
    It seems to be uncomplimentary mainly for the Rio5. Healey is more positive on the LX sedan. First, the Rio5 is not aimed at buyers like him--so I'm not surprised he didn't like it. The Rio5 got a much more positive review the other day in the LA Times, by someone who appreciated its European flavor. But I agree with Healey's point that the Rio is pricey when fully equipped. I think that will prove to be the car's Achilles' heel--one that can be remedied by a dollup of rebates, of course. It will really be interesting to see how Hyundai prices the Accent GLS with its greater standard equipment and, IMO, nicer interior.
  • Healey hits the nail on the head when he talks about a nicely optioned Rio5 being pricey and in the territory of several other decent cars from other makers.

As I said several weeks ago, if the price (sans dest and tax) of the Rio5 WITH the power pack is somewhere from between $11-12k, then KIA's in the game. But if they try to get $14k+ for them, all of a sudden the competition pool gets ALOT deeper.

With the consistent reports of driveline harshness by the media, I'm also beginning to wonder if that might also be a deal breaker for some.

I wish KIA would also consider putting some Goodyear's on the RIOs too.... just like my Spectra. I've been *very* happy with the performance of my Goodyear Eagle LS's so far after 16k miles.

It seems like availability of Rios in the midwest has been a problem. My dealer (which is an exclusive KIA dealer) has had probably about 5 Rio sedans and 1 Rio5 in total cross their lot so far. It looks like they're not having any trouble selling the ones they've gotten so far, but that's a pretty pathetic amount of product they've received so far. I haven't visitied any other KIA dealers (they're too far away) to see if it's a dealer-specific condition or not. But I know my dealer must be just about ready to scream, since they sold out of their old Rio stock several weeks ago.

I'll be interested to see what the TMV values of Rios at dealerships are once their lots become fully stocked with several dozen units at any given time.

-SM
  • Pricet or not the Rio is a great car. I have a 2004 Rio Cinco. I was a bit disappointed that Kia went from station wagon to the hatchback on the Rio5. That fact kept me from trading my 2004 for a Rio5.
    How does the actual cargo volume of the Cinco compare to the Rio5?

I'm really not sure what reviewers are talking about with the comments on "driveline harshness". I thought the Rio LX I drove, an automatic, was very smooth and quiet on the highway up to at least 70 mph and the autoshifter was unnoticeable in its operation. Maybe the 5-speed revs higher on the highway, hence more noise. The little engine does have a grunt when pushed, but c'mon, it's a low-end car with a small engine. If you want total isolation from all engine noise, go buy a Lexus.
  • Interesting difference IMO.

2004 Rio Cinco:
    Luggage Capacity: 24.8 cu. ft. (I'm assuming rear seat up) Maximum Cargo Capacity: 44 cu. ft.

2006 Rio5:
    Luggage Capacity: 15.8 cu. ft. (I'm assuming rear seat up)Maximum Cargo Capacity: 50 cu. ft.
  • built to have a lot of cargo space in back. It's built for a sporty feel, to toss into turns. The Healey review does not dampen my enthusiasm for the car at all. He doesn't like Kia and his bias is so strong it causes him to nitpick.

I am on my 2nd Kia and both have had a bit of a buzzy sound on acceleration, but you can push Kia's and they respond.

The only way I'm gonna find out how this car drives is to go test drive it. Healey's review just leaves me with a funky feeling inside that he just views Kia Motors as a bug on his Lexus' windshield. I would not take a car reviewer's word on any car that I was really interested in. I remain very interested in both the Rio5 and the Rio 4-door sedan by Kia for 2006. The Rio will be safe to drive, too, with all of those airbags. No power steering on the base models to save money. I don't think you'd need it in a car this small, anyway. My '99 Kia Sephia didn't have power steering and it didn't bother the enjoyment of driving the car at all.

The European styling of the '06 Kia Rio's has grown on me and I am just starting to prefer the Rio5 styling by just a tad over the sedan but it's not decided yet at all which one I'd go with. Meanwhile, the Sportage 4x4 heads into a southeastern Idaho winter which is supposed to turn snowy this weekend. Running like an absolute champ.

• I am on my second Rio Cinco. My first was a 2002 and now my 2004. I like the 2004 better I couldn't believe how much improvment 2 years made. You are right about the buzzy sound but mine will respond also. IMO the 2006 will carry on that tradition.
  • and well-made that reviewers actually have to nitpick to find any way to differentiate between cars. I will give them that and just go find something else to read until I find something that I can actually learn from.

Who really goes by what a car writer says in relation to what they actually decide to buy? Not me.

I think Kia will sell shipload after shipload of these 2006 Rio sedans/Rio5's in Europe. They are selling shiploads of their new minicar Picanto in Europe as well.

Contemplate that for a second or two...Kia doesn't really need your buying dollar here in America. They'll get it anyway but they are selling strongly worldwide so what pithy American reviewers say about their cars really doesn't mean too much. All of the other reviews I've read on the 2006 Kia Rio's has been positive.

• I was wasting time in a bookstore yesterday and picked up a copy of mph magazine. The magazine is usually a joke, written by potty-mouthed teenagers, it seems. The interesting thing was a comparison test of the Kia Rio, new Hyundai Accent and Scion xA.

It seemed unfair from the beginning because the Rio and Accent were automatics and the Scion was a 5-speed manual. Surprise, the Scion was faster!

The Kia and Hyundai both did 0-60 in 11.8 seconds, which I think is kinda slow for a modern econocar. Perhaps most potential buyers won't be bothered by that. The manual version should be more around the 10 second mark which is passable.

The review wasn't flattering, but wasn't altogether horrible either. They decided the Scion was the winner, but made at least a few positive remarks about the other two.

I look forward to a comparison by a professional car magazine that doesn't require one to take a bong hit before reading.
    A comparison of the latest small cars--Rio, Accent, Fit, Yaris, and Versa--would make a great article.

You may have seen the short review of the Rio/Rio5 in C/D's December issue. They were quite positive, noting the tasteful and comfortable interior, the muscular exterior, and the engine that is smoother and pulls strongly and willingly to redline. They didn't like the automatic much, which is interesting because I thought it worked very well on my test drive. Maybe they took steeper hills than I did.
  • that's interesting about the Car and Driver review of the '06 Kia Rio sedan and '06 Kia Rio5. Pretty complimentary it sounds like. A muscular exterior...that sounds like a decent description of the '06 Rio's body style. The interior is tasteful and the engine pulls eagerly to redline.

Sounds like they liked the new Rio! I'm gonna have to get the December Car and Driver and read the review.

It's a really short review, a first-take really--save your money and take a quick look at the library. Maybe they'll do a full test sometime.
  • at the city library at Pocatello. Now that you've mentioned that I'll probably just check it out at the library.

This new '06 Rio looks good in both the sedan and hatchback form, with each one having it's own merits. I don't think I could go wrong with either one, though it has to be a manual tranny.

I really like the standard safety equipment built into each and every '06 Rio and '06 Rio5. :D

• on this thread for a couple days was not true. The '06 Kia Rio sedan and Rio5 hatchback will get speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack and pinion steering.

I did a little research because I was interested and found out the truth. Very nice, though, and I think it will prove to give the Rio/Rio5 a responsive and sporty feel around turns.

You meant "have", not "will get", right?
  • To save everyone the trouble going to the library, here's the direct link to the actual article which is now online:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=10249

Kia Rio/Rio5

Still bottom dollar, but no longer cheap.

BY ROBIN WARNER
    December 2005

-SM
  • I meant the '06 Rio sedan and Rio5 have speed-sensing hydraulic power-assist rack and pinion steering.

• does your '06 Rio have an automatic transmission or manual?
    :D

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    11.8 seconds to 60 is surprisingly slow, given the decent output figures of the 1.6L engine- perhaps those figures arent accurate (ie... SAE Certified)? The COTY issue of MotorTrend also has the Accent tested at 11.8 to 60 with the 4sp AT.

~alpha
  • from 0-60 in 9.5 seconds according to the December 2005 Car and Driver magazine. I would take their word for that but I'm not the type to worry about acceleration, either.

For us it's either a 2006 Kia Rio5 in 5-speed form or hanging on to our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. SE Idaho gets a decent dumping of snow I've found out! The Sportage's 4x4 is really coming in handy! :D

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    C/D's was an estimated time. Motor Trend's was actually an instrumented test. Big difference, and I'd put more credence in the instrumented test, even if it is from MT, which I dont particularly care for.

~alpha
  • numbers like frandaman's keep me interested in either a 2006 Kia Rio 4-door sedan or Kia Rio5. That's a pretty good testimony on your Rio, frandaman...that's the type of report I look forward to getting on these new "Euro-designed" Kia's.

Oh, BTW, the Tropical Red 5-speed Kia Rio5 for $14,190 is still at my local Kia dealer, which is only a mile-and-a-half away from me! :)