Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio

Comments

• new 2006 Kia Rio5 that I particularly like.

Photo courtesy of the autochannel.com

I see some Mazda body design in it...is that the Mazda5 I see in there? The Mazda5? Kia has (had) a working relationship with Mazda in the 1980's and used the old Mazda 123 chassis to plop it's original Sephia body onto.

No, this is the first picture I have found of what will probably be our next car that looks a tad Mazda-ish to it.
    I like this one...I put it on my computer's Windows page as the background and this one will be the one that stays there. The color of the car in this picture is close to the one at my local Kia dealer...it is Tropical Red and this one is either that color or an orange of some sort. I like them both and either color would be great. :D

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Mazda? How about Mercedes-Benz! Have you noticed that the roofline is very similar to that of the new MB cross-over vehicle? The Rio5 costs a bit less, however. ;)
  • if it was between the 2006 Kia Rio5 and the new Mercedes-Benz crossover vehicle I'd still pick the Kia. Even if somebody were going to give it away to me, I'd pick the Kia.

Good body design is an art, it's either learned properly or it isn't. MB designers could learn from Kia designers. I'm serious, too. :D

iluv, iluv, iluv... take the Merc! Sell it, buy a Kia and have enough left over for a nice down payment on a house! :)
  • now you're talkin'! :D

• I have an automatic.
    Road & Track has a short take on the Rio and Rio5 in their January issue. They were not exactly blown away by the car (remember they get to drive exotics all the time), but they had some favorable comments and noted the improvement over the prior generation. They summed up with "it does what it's designed to do" or something like that.
  • mag writers say as dead-on accurate to what I like or want in a rig, either. I know that they spend time in the exotics and other-worldly types of cars that I would never be interested in. If one thinks about that that's bound to have an effect on how they view the "lower end" cars that I like and that I buy.

The 2006 Kia Rio/Rio5 are big improvements over the last generation, but, then again, I didn't think all that much was wrong with the last-gen Rio's!

One big improvement, IMO, is the car's wider and longer wheelbase and stance. It's got that muscular look to it and a nice style flair as well, and it has the CVVT motor that will generate better gas mileage and produce fewer emissions at the same time. A winning combo indeed! :D

• The 2006 Kia Rio/Rio5 are big improvements over the last generation, but, then again, I didn't think all that much was wrong with the last-gen Rio's!

You are right, I have a 2004 Rio Cinco. It's been a great car. I had plans (before the pics came out) to replace it with a 2006 Rio Cinco now 5. But Kia had to screw it up by giving it a cheap "hatchback" look rather than the..IMO..better looking and more popular..again IMO.."station wagon" look.
    One of those "eye of the beholder" things I guess. I think the Rio5 is very sharp-looking, with a definite Euro flair, while the Cinco was kind of cute but very '90s in its rounded styling.
  • Yeah you are right about that. I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy! IMO a hatchback denotes cheap. That's why you always see then in the lower car model lines. Tell me what luxury hathback has been or is out there?
    Times are a changing. Mercedes has a C-class hatchback and recently introduced a $50k crossover vehicle that has a hatch. The $30k Chrysler Pacifica has a hatch. The Audi A3 is a new $25k hatch. So hatches are moving upscale. They have always been very popular in Europe, of course.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Point well taken, but Mercedes cancelled the C-class Hatch/Coupe thinggie for 2006, and I dont really consider the Pacifica,Freestyle,R-class etc... hatchbacks as much as crossover wagonoids. Its a tricky classification with so much blurring of the lines.

~alpha
    Yes, I agree-very blurry. When is a car a hatchback vs. a wagon? For example, Edmunds.com considers the Rio5 and Audi A3 to be a "wagons". But they consider the Focus ZX3 to be a "coupe."
  • considered a "wagon" by Edmunds. Hey, chuck1959, the '06 Kia Rio5 is a wagon after all! :D

Yeah, it is getting blurry as manufacturers try to hit the right notes with the most people as to what to call the cars and how to design the right look into them.

The '06 Kia Rio5 is just about exactly what we're looking for. The back seat will have ample room for the two Pomeranians and our son when he is visiting us. For a while I was toying with the idea of buying a Scion tC. I seriously wondered whether the small breed of dog (bred down from the sled-dog German Spitz varieties)would be able to see out the windows of the back seat of the Scion tC coupe. That won't be a problem with the Rio5. They should be able to peer out the back whenever they feel like with this new "Euro-designed" Rio5.

BTW-it really is a "Euro" look, IMHO. I see some VW Passat in it's headlights, I see some of the M-Benz crossover in it's overall body shape.

As to it looking "cheap" chuck1959, take another long gander at the Orange '06 Rio5 I have posted a few posts back. That doesn't at all look cheap to me. Mazda5, too? Whew! Kia designers were having some serious design-fun with this one. The 5-speed Tropical Red '06 Kia Rio5 is still on my local dealer's lot waiting for...someone to come along and take it home. :D

• I didn't mean to imply that the Rio5 itself was cheap. I just meant that the lower end "base" cars were usually hatchbacks.
  • The Pacifica is not a true hatchback. Yeah but those are not selling well, hence the reputation people see hatches as cheap.
  • American attitudes toward hatchbacks are interesting. I've been to London several times and there are tons of mid-size hatches over there. They definitely value utility over all else.

When I started my car shopping, I was looking for a 4-door sedan. My favorites were the Honda Civic and Mazda3. As it turned out, I couldn't find a 3 4-door in the color I wanted with the equipment I wanted. I did find the color and specs in the 5-door, though. I'm getting it this week.

To get back on topic, Kia really has done well with their 5-door/wagons. The Rio5 and Spectra5 are stunning, especially given the price. Hopefully we'll start to see more hatchbacks in the U.S. They really do make a lot more sense. Especially if you think of them as tiny SUVs with much better gas mileage.
  • what is pulling me towards getting the '06 Kia Rio5. That and the simple fact that I'm hooked on it's body style. Very well done, Kia.

I would love to go ghost town exploring here in Idaho in the spring and summer of '06 and the Rio5, with it's CVVT engine working for me, would give me the gas mileage I want. I go by the lone '06 Kia Rio5 on the local Kia dealer's lot every morning after getting off work on the night shift to admire the Rio5's angular, small and muscular look. Really starting to dig it.

• Iluv said:

"I go by the lone '06 Kia Rio5 on the local Kia dealer's lot every morning after getting off work on the night shift to admire the Rio5's angular, small and muscular look. Really starting to dig it."

set rodneydangerfield_mode on ;

Hey....maybe you two oughta get a room!!

set rodneydangerfield_mode off ;

Just kidding.... :-)

-SM
  • spectraman. It's just that it suddenly occurred to me that this car is the one that would do the best job for us other than the '01 Kia Sportage 4x4.

I'll tell ya what, our Sportage 4x4 is perfect for eastern Idaho's snowy winters. It has helped me on at least one occasion get cleared of the snow and ice. It has good factory clearance and seems to invite snow play. We may just hold onto it and quit looking the other direction. :D

Maybe the grass isn't greener in Rio5 pastures, eh?

• Below is a link to a fabulous newly discovered website. Essentially here is the Rio5 being shown in concept form back at the 2004 Paris autoshow. It is funny how I remember seeing the pics last year but just occurred when looking at this site that this is pre-production Rio5. Only if that engine could have made it to production.

http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=937#
  • yep, that's the one. Thank you for providing that link. That is definitely the car, it has those swirling crystalline taillights and that several-dimensional headlamp cluster in front.

Kia must've gotten some good feedback from people at the autoshows about the concept because they've produced a production model of it for 2006, as promised.

• the 2006 Kia Rio5's manual shifter, which I will most definitely want in mine.

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_- - int/754

The article mentions that drivers will "want the 5-speed manual that features a light-effort clutch pedal and slick shifting..."

• Kia Rio Named Most Improved New Car for 2006 by Autobytel

The 2006 Kia Rio today received the Autobytel "Editors' Choice Award for Most Improved New Car."

http://www.automotive.com/features/90/auto-news/17294/index.html

-SM
    Well, when you are coming from as far back as the Rio did, it's a no-brainer award. :)

Think about it... with the Neon outta here and the Rio redesigned, are there really any bad cars out there?
  • I for one am not surprised. I have a 2002 (actually I bought it for my mother) and 2004 Kia Rio Cincos, I couldn't believe what a difference 2 years made! I was set to trade for a 2006 but alas they went hatchback! I so much prefered the station wagon look. Oh well it looks like Kia has another winner under it's belt. Way to go Kia!!!

By the way where can I go to find the production/sales figures for my Kias?
  • 2006 Kia Rio5 as one of their contenders for 2006 Car of the Year.

They liked its spacious cabin, supportive front bucket seats, an upscale flavor inside and a tight component fit, great 32/35 gas mileage, and competent braking system.

The 2006 Kia Rio5 outbraked the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6 by a foot but even more impressively it snuck through the slalom quicker than both the Eclipse and the Audi A3.

• I have found that theautochannel.com is a great source of almost all carmakers sales figures. You just have to dig on the site to find them.

An easier way would be to Google "kia sales figures 2004" or whatever year you're wanting to know. If you aren't able to find it, tell me what year and model(s) you want to know and I'll track down the info for you.
  • I looked on a previous post and see that you mentioned a 2004 Rio Cinco. From what I can find, it doesn't look like they break out the Cinco from the Rio sedan. Total 2004 sales for the Rio was 38,518 vs. 41,285 in 2003. I actually found these numbers on the Kia website. Here's the link-

http://www.kia.com/010405.php