Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
edited April 2 in Honda
I think nobody knows a lot about those future vehicules (Acura EL is a luxurious version of the Civic, only sold in Canada) but here is what I think they might change: the base civic will just keep the 1.7 VTEC engine (127 hp) and the non-VTEC one will just disappear (115 hp). The Si version may get the 2 liter engine of the SiR and RSX/Integra (160 hp). I think it's gonna become bigger too, since the Jazz/Fit is said to come in North America. Anything else?

Comments

• It will almost certainly have standard side and side curtain airbags as Honda has stated they will make these safety features standard on their entire vehicle line-up. Whether it will also offer traction control, stability control or upgraded transmissions (6 speed manual/5 speed automatic) has not been reported to my knowledge. Honda is very secretive. One thing I'd like to see is the return of the double wishbone suspension of previous generation Civics.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    But to keep it at a reasonnable price, I don't think honda will put standard side airbags. Probably it will be an option on the base model DX and standard on LX, Si, etc. It is sad that honda is so secretive (and so toyota) because it's not fun to always have to guess what will come next...
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    That helps build up hope for a better redesign

If Honda did like most of these American car companies and told everybody about there cars ahead of time, the remaining inventory might not sell out as well.

You will NEVER see a redesigned Civic, Accord, Camry or Corolla debut at an autoshow.
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Posts: 174
    Garden State Honda in North NJ has tons of 2005's left over - EX, LX etc 2 and 4 doors (went looken for a 2006 over the weekend and didn't find it).
  • Sorry, this is the sedan thread. Not sure how much difference the extra speakers makes between the LX and EX sedans. My EX Coupe has the subwoofer.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,692
    Honda will have to find other ways to keep costs down, because they have said they WILL offer side curtains (and SABs and ABS) on all but "specialty" cars by the end of 2006:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=168190
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    I don't think the old suspension will come back. Honda seems set on electric steering systems and tall cowls/beltlines, all of which work better with struts.

I could live without either of those, but Honda's electric steering is getting better (eg the s2000) and the Civic's steering never got rave reviews in previous generations anyway, and tall, slabby cars just seem to be popular. To other people.

I'll be upset when it gets heavier and maintains Honda's movement towards mainstream mediocrity. Rumors abound about the CRX coming back; I bet they'll decide that the rest of the Civic line can be boring once that's back.

High school parking lots aren't full of mildly souped up Civics, Integras, and Preludes anymore. This is their chance to permanently lose that fan base, and I think they'll do it.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    I think the low cowls are gone forever. The high betlines are needed for maximum side impact crash protection ratings now that safety is a higher priority.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    I sell Hondas and have about half a page of people who want to be called when a 5th, 6th, or 7th gen used Civic shows up on the lot. Lots of folks looking for GSRs too.

The CRX (1988-1991) is slowly becoming a collector car. I predict the Integra Type R will be too.

With the safety regulations, and reinforced crash structures on new cars we probably wont see anything as light and nimble as the 5th gen Civic/CRX, or with anything with low cowls as the 6th and 7th gen Civics unless you go for an exotic like the Lotus Elise.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    Here is hoping that the new Civics and their derivatives such as the Element and CR-V have tilt and telescoping steering wheels. Makes my Accord 2003 a joy for a tall guy like me!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    That will probably not sell in US unless they had a DX trim. The car is too much like Daewoo Nubira (sp?) and some Peugeot/Renault.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I have not seen a car lately that isn't like any other. Oh well, may be the Aztek.

But, there is a rumor for the next EL to have 200 HP engine.
  • But in line with artist renderings of the next Civic.

All I've heard if the Ex will have a 140 HP engine, up 10%, while increasing economy.

DrFill
    Why not? There could easily be an Si hatchback just like they have now.
    If the US version is going to be the same as Europe and Asia, then the sedan may look similar in front.
    I'd like to see a diesel for 2007 so you can have hybrid MPG without the cost and complexity.
    Maybe around 50MPG highway even with automatic.
    Why not? There could easily be an Si hatchback just like they have now

Whoever turns this into a hot rod Si/Type R will have some work to do. It is going to be very difficult to make that look aggressive or sporty. The current Si/Type R have a very aggressive stance, with good headroom front and back. With the very sloping hatch in the new version, the rear headroom will be less than the current RSX, and the weight distribution will be more forward biased. IMHO.
  • mautomauto Posts: 75
    Yep, start to get upset, because Honda will move the Civic further away from the enthusiast and more toward the aging driver. Yes they are alienating the traditional enthusiast, but that demographic only ever made up a very small percentage.

Unfortunately, the new Civic will be improved at Honda's glacial pace - adding features (telescoping wheel, retained accessory power) that have been on offer by the competiton for several years now. High school parking lots now have written off the current gen. Civic and are more interested in Mazdas, Subarus and Fords (Focus). The Civic is slowly becoming "your father's Civic".
    I don't think so. This new hatchback looks far more rocket-like than the current HB. The new styling IS sleeker!

I've always wondered what kind of styling people like us could come up with before judging stylists (who, BTW, have to not only think style, but practicality and other engineering requirements as well). Most of the times I feel we simply refuse to accept change, or continue to lug on to something that we like.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    Muato - I am very interested in the telescoping wheel. Think they will add it?
  • mautomauto Posts: 75
    Yeah, they will add it. I hope they will add retained accessory power. Hyundai figured this out for their 2001 Elantra. It's a great feature. How many times I've realised the sunroof is still open after I've removed the key from the ignition. The Focus has had a telescoping wheel for at least 5 years now. Honda's a little slow getting with the program.
    It looks like an artist's rendition with styling cues from Japanese market Odyssey (the frill and headlamps).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,850
    LOL, what's a "spy drawing?" He saw the car, then ran home & sketched it out? No one's got that good a memory for detail. And if he could "spy," couldn't he be clever enough to sneak in a spy camera? Maybe it was leaked, but that doesn't usually happen with Honda - they are very tight-lipped about new models.

I think this is more likely to be someone's wishful thinking based on current Honda vehicles than anything else.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stragerstrager Posts: 308
    These pictures look genuine and are consistent with other "spy" pictures of the Civic. I'm glad to see that Honda is trying hard to make the Civic more interesting.
    These pictures look genuine and are consistent with other "spy" pictures of the Civic. I'm glad to see that Honda is trying hard to make the Civic more interesting.

I think that the new look is even more European than the current Si hatchback. Which is one of the reasons it is not selling as well as Honda would have liked it to sell.
  • that's the european version you know...
    Looks like PhotoShop.

I wonder what the US version will be like?
  • I think the '05 will sell briskly, and enjoy even better resale in the coming years.

DrFill
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I have to wonder- will the Civic get its old Wishbone suspension back?
This discussion has been closed.