Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• But that doesn't change the fact that the predicated depreciation of the civic (outgoing model) is just good, which is the 3rd grade out of 5 possible grades in CU rating system.

Why then does J.D. Power rate the "outgoing" Civic as having excellent resale value? Who's correct?

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/ratings/vehicles/FindJdAwards.jsp

Just for fun, I checked the Kelley Blue Book "Private Party Value" of my 2005 Civic EX automatic with 6,000 miles on it. The private party value is $16,830 which is $600 more than I paid for it back in July!!!! Granted, I got a great deal on the car ($1,000 below invoice), but how's that for resale value? :D
  • Thanks for verifying what I said before that you could buy 2005 civics for $1000 below invoice. People, see the post above - this huy bought a 2005 civic EX (sedan w/automatic) for $16,230 back in July. Now a 2006 civic EX would cost you $3000 more (and not a penny less). Yes, I know the MSRP only increased by $750, but notice how the incentives which existed on the 2005 civic most of this year (not now though) of course don't exist for 2006 civic. So that's another $1000 price hike from Honda. The rest of the difference ($1250) is due to current supply shortage enabling dealers to charge close to MSRP on the 2006.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    hate to break the news, but this isn't the first time left over prior model year cars (ie 2005 Civic) were sold cheap to get rid of them, with the new models selling for more. WOuld you pay the same price for any car (say, a Mazda 3) for an identical '05 and '06?

This also ignores the fact that the 05 and 06 Civic's are entirely different cars. And as always, the marketplace speaks, and it seems to like the new one.

Supply and demand (pent up demand/tight initial supply) of course comes into play. Who knows, maybe 3-6 months from now the '06 will sell at invoice.

If you just want cheap, should have jumped on an '05 Cobalt or Neon at supplier prices. A car is a car, right?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Hope you think it's really worth $3000 more, otherwise the guy that bought a 2005 for $16,230 is really the smart one.

Thanks for the compliment. I considered waiting to purchase a 2006 Civic, but didn't think it was worth $3,000 more. I used some of the money I saved to get a killer sound system and put a dynamat hoodliner in the engine compartment along with dynamat extreme sound deadener in the doors. My 2005 Civic is now much quieter than the 2006 Civic (almost as quiet as a Lexus) and has a much better stereo. :shades:
  • wow! that is amazing! I might want to do this for my noisy focus...did you do it yourself? was it labour intensive? you have to open up all your door panels?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    yes to the door panels.

Seems like a contradiction though. If you put in a killer stereo, just turn it up loud and drown everything else out!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• wow! that is amazing! I might want to do this for my noisy focus...did you do it yourself? was it labour intensive? you have to open up all your door panels?

This is getting off-topic. If you have any questions, please e-mail me directly. Just click on my user-name to get my e-mail address. Thanks.
  • Looks are subjective, but there are a number of objective changes: 1.8L 140hp engine vs 1.7L engine (128hp). Accelaration and MPG is about the same because the new civic weighs more.

Side airbags are new. 16" wheels vs 15" before (i think). Interior room is about the same. Looks are subjective of course. What else was improved ?
  • To mix it up a little, isn't there some fresh speculation on the new Si? Photos, price, EPA, colors, timing, SEMA, anything? (I just looked at www.semashow.com and couldn't find anything interesting.) The Si and the Corvette C6, or for the even richer the '05 Z06, are the most interesting cars around at the moment, in my humble.

:P
  • bigal3bigal3 Posts: 107
    I am unable to find any figures for acceleration (0 to 60) for EX Civic Coupe. Anyone have any idea how long it takes for the EX Civic Coupe to go from 0 to 60mph ?
  • Vtec.net has tested some sedans and the best time they got was 0-60 in 8.24 seconds. They also stated that "launched more lovingly" the times would be in the high 8's to low 9's. It will be interesting to see what test numbers the automotive magazines come up with.
  • I am so surprised to see how disturbing the new civic looks like. It seems they went on being too futuristic and not care how bad it looks. It looks like a premature TSX. And the coupe looks even worse. They did make the front windshield to be less slanted (the lowest in Honda history), but it made the front end shorter. However, I saw the Japanese version of the new civic and it is way better than what is going to be sold here in the U.S. The taillights and headlights are obviously better designed, plus the side mirrors have cornerlights. To see the Japanese Honda website, visit www.honda.com.jp.

Another bad design is the steering wheel. What the hell are they thinking? I don't know. Maybe it's just me. The technology is great, but the design is awful. Performance has always been my key factor in a car, but it doesn't mean that I have to sacrifice it's appearance. I just hope they won't mess up the next version of the Intergra/RSX (which was rumored to be discontinued) since the new design is in progress. :(
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    joeluc13,

Yup! It's you.

Beauty (or lack of it) is in the eyes of the beholder. The concensus here and on most boards seems to be that the '06 Civic looks great. I like it.
  • sr45sr45 Posts: 144
    Instrument dash is in need of a big face lift. Honda made a big mistake with that hug speedo. The Accords dash is much better.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    sr45,

As I said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Your aesthetics may not comport with other folks'. I own a 2004 Accord and I like the 2006 Civic's dash too. They just happen to be of two different designs.
  • After first full week commuting in 06 LX coupe 5-speed:

First tank mpg: 33.8 mpg; about 330 miles with 255 of that highway @ 72mph.

looks (esp. w/ new window tint); accelaration; combination of handling and solid but comfortable ride (feels quality); oil life sensor, clever slot in front of shifter for holding garage-door-opener clip; gauages/display; suprisingingly good stereo (contrary to what I said before) that seems dramatically better with CDs vs.radio; automatic speed-sensitive volume control for stereo; sliding armrest; relief to figure out that yes, back seat does fold down on an LX; telescoping steering wheel.

Overall, best car I've had for combination of sportiness, economy and comfort.

Dislikes:
    - hand brake isn't in way during regular driving (I'm 5-8), but it IS about where I rest my leg using cruise control. I can find a comfortable spot, but the brake could be better placed or cushier. I can live with it, but would buy a nice-looking rubber-foam cushion slipcover if some entrepreneur ever made one.
    - since dash is always lit up, I forget to turn lights on at night. That's called "probable cause." Bad!
    - sun visors should extend down just a bit more.
    - tilt steering wheel doesn't go down quite far enough for me to confidently drive with my left knee during certain situations.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Are you talking about the steering wheel on the Si or in general? I think the one on the Si is a little garish, but the one on the sedans is more subdued and I think it looks good--and has a nice feel also.
  • Yeah, true. The new Civic's dash looks like an upgraded dash of a Toyota Echo. It has an analog tachometer and a digital spedometer. Not a good combination. :(
  • goosegoose Posts: 77
    Finally picked up my auto (06 Coupe EX, auto) yesterday Friday Oct 7. The vehicle is night/day better than the previous Civics I've owned. The ride is nice, no wind noise (70 MPH). Talking about 70 MPH, the tack showed 2250 RPM. Sometimes you get road noise however its a noticeable improvement from previous models. On concrete roads you will get road noise but my truck, 03 Frontier SE 4 door, was no different. Actually the Civic is a little quieter on concrete roads compared to the truck. The dash is fantastic and the stereo rocks. I really thought the 06 Civic could not compete with the tC. I was wrong. The vehicle is better than the tC and worth every penny (Not a rip off). The key is a little bulky and will probably make holes in pant pockets (guys). The key needs some sort of case, similar to the current VW key setup. I recommend the full front mask, fog lights and mud guards. If you haven't driven one then don't say another word until you do. I'd post a pic but don't see how to do it :shades:
  • You are definitely right! I saw a new Civic sedan on display, I guess it was a demo car, and the steering wheel fits perfectly well for the sedan. But for the Si, it's too showy and it doesn't match with the car's personality at the same time. Too futuristic if you ask me. Same thing with the gauge cluster. They should have sticked with analog gauges, or made everything digital (like the S2000's). Combining both doesn't really look good. It's the standard LSD on the Si that I like, but the rest of the car's looks is just very disappointing (at least in my opinion). :(
This discussion has been closed.