Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• I bought a 96 Honda Civic with 136,000 miles that appears to burn up to two quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. I see no oil on the engine and no blue smoke while idling. Is this normal and how much oil should a high mileage car use between oil changes? Do I need to replace the valve seals, guides or rings?

Thanks------ Larry
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    yeah i agree about CR.. they have made some wacky decisions sometimes which do not make sense in the NORMAL world.. The only thing I really use CR for is the reliability records and that's only because they compile the results from owners of those cars.. that tells the truth. I would take their car recommendations with a "grain of salt".. seriously..

To recommend the cobalt over the other cars, I think they've been smoking a little crack.. I think the Civic Si and even the tC would be better overall values than the Cobalt..

Is it just me or the Cobalt looks like the 96-2000 civic coupe? It's eerie to me how it looks like that..
  • earthearth Posts: 76
    bought a 96 Honda Civic with 136,000 miles that appears to burn up to two quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. I see no oil on the engine and no blue smoke while idling. Is this normal and how much oil should a high mileage car use between oil changes? Do I need to replace the valve seals, guides or rings?
    ----------------------
    This is the 06 Civic sedan site, not the 96 civic problem site :mad:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    CR hasn't reported on the Civic yet, so we have no idea how they would rate it compared to the Cobalt. Also, CR doesn't rate cars based on value, but only on how they perform in their tests and in a few other aspects such as crash testing. So one car being less expensive, and hence a better value, than another car doesn't weigh into how they rank cars within a group.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Except for the TSX, NSX, and S2000, all hondas are assembled in US and Canada.

The RL, Insight, RSX etc are also exclusively assembled in Japan. Most CRVs are also assembled in Japan, while some CRVs are assembled in England. Some 4-Cyl Accord Sedans and 4-Cyl Civic Sedans are also assembled in Japan.
  • I ordered my LX Sedan AT and paid my deposit, but have not received delivery yet (2-3 more weeks).

I was wondering if the 2006 Civic has a battery saver feature to save you if you leave a light on or the door slightly open overnight. I am considering ordering an aftermarket "Priority Start" device or similar to install on the battery if this feature is lacking. With 2 young kids in the house, you knever know when something like that will happen.

Anybody know? Any other accessories that I will need? Thanks.
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Posts: 30
    There is no battery saver feature in any Honda.
  • ok, i live in CT. looking for a 2006 Civic EX sedan Manual w/ fog lights. got a quote for $20,050, out the door (everything included).

here is the breakdown (appox)

car: $18,092.00
    fog lights (msrp+install):$585.00
    dealer processing fee: $159.00
    TTL:$1215.16

total out the door...$20,050

i thinks it's good....what about you guys?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    $585 for fog lights seems ridiculous to me, but maybe that's because I've only used them maybe once in five years.
  • That looks like a good price to me and I especially like the relatively reasonable dealer processing fee. All of the dealers in my area are charging $400. However, I don't fully understand why people pay so much for fog lights. Personally I would pass on them, but to each his own. Enjoy your new car.
  • bigal3bigal3 Posts: 107
    Honda charge $585 for fog lights?.....mmm. How come I can get a set of fog lights in Walmart for $29 ?
  • evpedevped Posts: 39
    I had fog lights on my '90 Accord and never used them. It took me 6 hours to install. Waste of time and money.
  • Thats funny, when I leave the door open in my 2006 civic for awhile, the interior lights go out..I would call this a battery saver feature...My car does what he is asking about :)
  • noobnoob Posts: 11
    I just bought 2006 Civic EX today. I think this is the only 2006 civic in my area. Already 6 people have asked about my car in 1 hour. Do you guys feel that you are being watched?

And yes.. Mazda3 is nice.. But it's not "cool".

If you want a "cool" car, buy Civic.
  • I noticed that some of the Civics assembled in Japan that were spotted by forum members in the US have shown up in west coast states (Cali and Washington). Is it typical that Japanese Civics would only be available in western states and that the east coast would get North American assembled Civics? That would make perfect sense considering the shipping logistics.

I was just wondering if there is any chance of getting a Japanese Civic in North Carolina (specifically an LX Sedan AT).
  • But the aftermarket fog lights won't be factory so they will look aftermarket. I paid $500 to have fog lights put in my 04 EX-L and about $350 to have them put in our 03 Si and it was worth it IMO.
  • earthearth Posts: 76
    Where do you live that you need to spend $ 500 big ones on a fog light ? Never had one, never would use one, and will never spend $500 on fog lamps. :confuse:
  • We should keep in mind that fog lights are not just a functional accessory, but they also affect the appearance of the vehicle. Everyone has different tastes, and there are plenty of people who will spend lots of $ to get the look they are after. I see cars every week that have aftermarket rims that probably cost more than the value of the rest of the car. Not for me, but to each his own.

I do think Honda is gouging a bit here. You can order OEM fog lights for $150 on some other cars and I think that is reasonable. But there are a lot of ways that the dealerships try to gouge (pin striping, for example), and this is just one. Buyer beware.

My personal problem with fog lights is that many drivers do not use them appropriately and they are often not aimed correctly and the result is blinding to other drivers, but that is probably for another topic.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Posts: 132
    The blinding fog lighyts are not fog lights but "driving lights"...when you see them cxall 911 on your cell phone and report them...if a highway cop has nothing to do he can earn $500 for his city.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Posts: 132
    The 2006 Civic makes the other small cars look like hay wagons....sexy!
This discussion has been closed.