Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,678
    If it didn't look too funky in person (such as that grill), if the seat comfort/room and driving dynamics were there, I would be all over that 5 door. Kinda like a more practical version of my Scion tC.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

the Si looks/sounds neat also. What they really need to do is an Si 5 door, but I sure ain't holding my breath for that one!

Of course, we will get a frumpy 3 box sedan I'm sure, and a 2 door coupe with not practical value.

Civics were always hatches in the good old days. My '85 1500S was amazingly roomy and practical for it's size, thanks to the boxy yet attractive shape.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    Bring back the hatch. I agree that the 2 door coupe is hardly practical. I still don't understand why the least practical civic, gets the most practical engine - the HX coupe.
  • chris777chris777 Posts: 126
    I am sure most already have heard this, and since honda seems to thoroughly enjoy giving north america the shaft it should come as no surprise but :

"So far, there are no plans to bring any hatch to North America but, “there were not any plans to bring the past Civic Si hatch either”. In any case, given the new European Civic's direction, it would be difficult to integrate it in the NA Civic line-up. If it finally arrives to NA, it will be more likely as an Acura, and would be a 3 door hatch. But please, note that this is merely speculation on my part – the Honda rep did not know anything apart from the fact that so far Honda is not bringing a hatch to NA. "

From an interview off of vtech.net

I also had an erie observation today

everyone im sure had heard about all of the talk of a resurection of the CRX well if i didn't just happen to see one today that was spot on the exact same color as that orange civic 5 door .

And the resemblance was striking

In an updated way
    I've heard the 3 door will end up much like the 5 door in appearance, and sorry I forgot how to post picks, but compare the last CRX to the civic concept, and tell me they arent of the same genes (and no om not talking about the platform, im speaking of design, much like the insight, only a bit more subtle)

split window hatch with a pseudo built in fin
    the slope of the car
    the way it looks short and sleek like the crx,
    It just really stuck out when i spotted that car today, anyone else see it?
  • musermuser Posts: 11
    I agree with dudleyr -- the 3-door hatchback is the most practical configuration for those who want a performance daily driver. It is much more useful for carrying any cargo. Since 90% of the time i drive with 2 people or less in the car, a 5-door "sports wagon" is a waste of money. Give me a hot hatchback, or i'll give up on Honda and resort back to the original -- the VW GTI.

As for the European 2006 Civic -- it's not as ugly as most pictures show it to be, but it sure isn't anywhere near as brathtaking as the Alfa Romeo Brera. Why does the North American market get the heaviest, slowest, and most boring vehicles???
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    "...Why does the North American market get the heaviest, slowest, and most boring vehicles???"

Because we are the heaviest, slowest, and most boring people.

Seriously I would love to see either the 2dr or 4dr hatch with 200hp or better make it to NA. But I will try to await the arrival of the 2dr coupe and give it a look. Hope that the designers don't freak out on the interior. After two Audis I'm pretty much spoiled rotten when it comes to interiors.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    "...Why does the North American market get the heaviest, slowest, and most boring vehicles???"

Because we are the heaviest, slowest, and most boring people.

I agree, after living abroad for a few years, I realize how much back in time we are culturally. Europeans look at us as we look at Amish. Of course I am exaggerating, but as much as we would like to think that we are the leading nation, and we are in technology and engineering (slightly behind Japan), we are way behind on cultural advancment. And it shows from how fat we are (due to our eating habits and lack of exercise), what cars we drive, how we dress, and how stubborn (religiously) we are. Would I want to live in Europe? Not really, but I would like to see US to advance a little bit into the 21st century, culturally.

I look at Japan, having lived there as well, Japanese have been sucessful at mixing the old and the new. No where else in the world would you see such a harmonic blend of past, current and future, all in one. When you are on the street, people dress like they are in Paris, conduct business like Americans, and still retain Japanese cluture and religion.

Oh, well... end of rant.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    ...definitely don't dress like they are in Paris or conduct business like Americans...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    This isn't the culture differences forum, but if you want to talk about it in relation to automotive manufacturing, feel free to do so on the News & Views board. Let's keep this discussion focused on the upcoming Civic.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• claudius753claudius753 Posts: 138
    I just saw some pics over at TOV of the Honda FR-V. I am pretty sure it's based on the Civic platform? I'd love to see that come to NA as a Civic 5door hatch. I think the Civic 5door that they show is extremely ugly, but that FR-V looks very nice. I'm sure it won't come here though.
  • bamaflumbamaflum Posts: 39
    Anybody got a guess at how much bigger the interior will be? I noticed the Mazda3 has a large interior, almost as big as some midsized cars. I was wondering if Honda will try to match this as well as the performance aspects. (I got three kids and like small cars, what can I say? :) )
  • mautomauto Posts: 75
    My decision to buy a 2006 (or later) Civic with rest on one feature: Will they finally restore the folding side mirrors as they once had on the 5th gen.? If the 2006 has fixed mirrors, I will assume that Honda has failed to do its homework and decided to go "cheap" (again) on the car.

We already know that the rubber timing belt will be history and good ridance.

Let's also hope they get the suspension right. The 7th gen. suspension tuning has me reaching for the Dramamine. A mid 70's Eldorado does a better job of body control.

As far as no hatchback for the US. Honda seems to mis-time hatchback popularity as badly as one can get. They had hatchbacks in the 90's when everyone was buying sedans. Now, when hatchback popularity is surging, Honda has no viable offering (except for the over priced, rarely seen Si).
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Folding mirrors are standard on the except for the over priced, rarely seen Si.

And the suspension is also very tight (for stock set up) on the except for the over priced, rarely seen Si

except for the over priced, rarely seen Si has timing chain, not timing belt.

Maybe you were looking for features that Honda thought only people who drive Si's would appreciate. I am sure Honda does some marketing research. But I agree, Honda is off the beat with hatchbacks. When I bought my 99 Civic, I would have rather bought the hatchback in that iteration had it been available in EX trim, rather than spartan CX or DX.

The 2002 Si fit the bill perfectly, it was cheap, it was a hatchback, and it had more standard equipment than EX.

except for the over priced, rarely seen Si I don't think Si is overpriced, I bought mine for less than $15,000 (brand new), this is less than what I paid for 99 Civic EX in 1999. And I got more for my money. Even now, people are able to buy Si for $17,000 or so. Most EX's go for that.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "Anybody got a guess at how much bigger the interior will be? I noticed the Mazda3 has a large interior, almost as big as some midsized cars. I was wondering if Honda will try to match this as well as the performance aspects. (I got three kids and like small cars, what can I say? :) )"

Really Mazda 3 interior is large? I sat in the 3 hatch and it was cramped. It found the 3 not as big as midsize cars in terms of interior size. I;m 5 foot 7 and head my head was too close to the roofline. I sat in the Mazda 6 and that was a niced car. The 3 I could not drive one if I had too. I could fit comfortably in the current Hyundai Elantra and current Civic 4 door as far as compacts go.
    Hmm, I'm 6' tall, and sit "high" (long torso), and found the 3 to have plenty of room up front, including headroom, and enough in the back of the hatch.

Maybe the front seat was ratcheted up? It has a lot of vertical adjustment.

Too bad about the coupe only. From the pics of the Si concept, I can't see it having enough usable rear seat room, never mind the tiny trunk.

Again, call me a whiner, but the hatch version would have addressed these issues, and still been stylish.

Heck, they are making the body already, just send it over as an option. There have to be some number of people like me that want something reasonably small and sporty, but still need to have adequate rear seat room and cargo capacity.

I don't use my car (a Scion tC) for family travel, but do need to transport my 2 kids, and sometimes my wife, on a regular basis. That Si doesn't look like it will cut it, and a 4 dr. sedan probably won't have enough "pizazz" or cargo flexibility (love that hatch area) to make it worth while.

Come on, Honda, make a competitor for the 3hatch/matrix/upcoming DCC neon replacement. The 5 door could fit the bill, without looking like a wagon.

• bamaflumbamaflum Posts: 39
    Front Head Room: 39.1 in. Front Hip Room: 54.9 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 54.9 in. Rear Head Room: 37.4 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 54 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.9 in.
    Front Leg Room: 41.9 in. Rear Leg Room: 36.3 in.
    If you compare these numbers to other compacts, you will see the Mazda3 is a very roomy car, especially the backseat (where I would have to put my three kids). I was hoping the Civic would be a comparable model as well as sporty. We have an Odyssey (love it) and I drive my wife's old 1990 Accord (love it, but it is getting old). I hope Honda does make it bigger. As a teacher, I probably can only afford the Civic if I want lots of options, which I do. I guess we will have to wait and see.
  • mari05mari05 Posts: 3
    current CIVIC dimensions:
    Front Head Room: 39.8 in. Front Hip Room: 51.2 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 52.6 in. Rear Head Room: 37.2 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 52.0 in. Rear Hip Room: 49.8 in.
    Front Leg Room: 42.2 in. Rear Leg Room: 36.0 in.
    the Civic is currently smaller by two inches in width 67.5 vs. the Mazda3 69.1
    also, the overall height of mazda is over 1.6 inches taller. you've to wait til the new 06 Civic coming out this fall for bigger room. just get the mazada3 now but you lose about 2 cubic inches for the trunk in compromise for more interior space.
  • mautomauto Posts: 75
    The idea of a hatchback is that you don't have to fit long items under the rear (fixed) glass as you do in a coupe. The Mazda 3 and 2006 Civic will probably be close in hip/shoulder/leg/head room, but the Civic won't have a hatch - big mistake.

The Si never caught on with the masses because it had only 2 door and a man. trans. and a $20k price tag. Never mind what it actually sold for - people looking for a fairly basic hatchback saw $20k on the sticker and kept walking. Ford seems to sell huge amounts of 3/5 door Focus hatches and Mazda can't make enough 3 hatches. How many times is Honda going to go back and forth between a hatch and a coupe for the Si before they get it right? First the Si was a hatch, then a coupe (arguably the best Si: 99-00), then a hatch and now back to a coupe. Here's an idea, let's have BOTH. How about giving us a choice. Let's have it our way, instead of always having it Honda's way :)
  • chris777chris777 Posts: 126
    I am seriously looking at gettion a scion xb since honda has shafted us on hatches, its so strange that a small "rogue" company has such an out of touch corporate mentality on its product lines, I mean look at the element the so called youth vehicle. thats sold to a majority of 40 + crowds
    I might accept the fit if honda doesn't drag it out until 2007 , but I loved the current 5 door hatch so much I was thinking about importing one

I really would like a vehicke with proportions in the middle of a scion xb and xa
    since the xa is way too small, and the xb has some wasted space, though not as bad as the element
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "I really would like a vehicke with proportions in the middle of a scion xb and xa
    since the xa is way too small, and the xb has some wasted space, though not as bad as the element"

What about thr Chrysler PT Cruiser? It has those captain chairs that make you sit up a little higher(a little bit but not that much) than you do in your normal everyday sedan or coupe. It depends if you like feature or not. I think you could fit a normal amount of stuff in the trunk area.

I don't know but the XB does not strike me any more or any less than a youth vehicle than the Element would be. I;m not saying that makes Element or XB bad vehicles by any means. The TC is a youth vehicle to me. I wouldn't buy either the TC, XB or Xa but I'm just saying. Usually young buyers buy cars like a Protege 5/Mazda 3, Mazda 6, RSX, the Civic or Accord Coupes, and the Scion TC.
  • 3dd3dd Posts: 20
    MSN has an article on the Civic Concept unveiled at the 05 Geneva Motor Show:

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4023056&s=geneva2005&src=minishow
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    but I was looking to get ideas of manufacturers for Honda aftermarket parts, like ground effect kits, exhaust, and intakes. I had a 99si, but my daughter has a 2004 LX coupe. Any pointers or suggestions on manufacturers would be great!

-Paul
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    You might try out our new Speed Shop board, where the talk is focused on mods.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

So where is the '06 Civic? No word from the NY auto show yet!
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Honda doesn't show a model before it's released unless they call it a "concept," like they did witth Acura RL and Honda Ridgeline. You can get the gist of what it's going to look like from the concept, but otherwise, I doubt we'll see anything final before August.
  • mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    Honda consistently keeps their new models under wraps until the last minute. There is rumor that Honda might release some information early as they are falling behind a bit as the current platform is getting long in the tooth. Otherwise I do not expect much if any information to be available until late summer.
  • mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    We know the Civic will be a little bigger, I wonder how much bigger. It is a nice size now, I hope it does not start to enter the mid-size sedan arena.
  • claudius753claudius753 Posts: 138
    I doubt it will grow large enough to enter the mid-size segment, as that would encroach on Accord sales.

Honda needs to do something soon though...Civic ranked 10th in sales in March, down 19% from last year, and Accord is at 6th, down 7%. The Accord is now lower than the Corolla, which is 5th. Honda needs some new cars to stop this slide...
    I think it will be the size of the Mazda 3. About 94 cubic ft. The current Civic is 91. That would still be well below the 103 of the Accord. I would like to see the Civic at 95-96, and then the Fit could be below it in the high 80's.
This discussion has been closed.