Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, it's on all the window stickers of all the cars I have bought anyway. Next time you go into a dealer, look at the window sticker carefully. The wording I stated, or something similar, should be in small print somewhere on that sticker. I just looked at all the window stickers for the new cars I've purchased (I like to save them), and all of them--including a Honda Civic--have a statement about pre-delivery service being included, going back to 1976.

So you are correct... paying $499 or a portion thereof for prepping a car to deliver to you is a bona-fide ripoff--since you have already paid for that service. On my last car, I paid $50 for documentation--that is typical in my area. I've never paid anything for dealer prep, and in fact no dealer has even suggested that I do so. I have purchased my cars in Minnesota and Texas over the past 30 years. Maybe you should seek out a state near you that doesn't charge such an exhorbitant "documentation" fee--it might be worth a day's drive to buy a Civic elsewhere.
  • rahooorahooo Member Posts: 16
    edmunds.com has invoice prices for the 2006 civics
    LX auto: 16,375 w/ dest
    EX auto: 17,972 w/ dest

click here
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Oh, please....

Backy clearly understood what I meant. Each of us lives in a different jurisdiction for taxes and fees. I can calculate them just fine for my area, but what I really want to know is what others are paying for the CAR, not for the privilege of putting it on the road.

Is that clear enough?

I've managed to buy 53 cars in the past 43 years, but not a single one of them in Georgia or Florida or North Carolina. So an "out the door" price for these places doesn't help much, does it?
  • honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    What do you guys(and gals) think of driving a Honda Civic when you have a small baby. I'm talking about mainly from a safety standpoint? The Civic makes financial sense but I'm worried about the safety issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    For about the price of a new 2006 Civic EX sedan, you might be able to get a used 2003 Ford Expedition with extended warranty and be more safe, but you will spend more than double the amount on gas.

As gas prices go higher, many people are struggling with the decision on how much money they are willing to spend on fuel costs to protect their families in a crash.
  • jsmith9jsmith9 Member Posts: 8
    Interested in buying the trunk liner 'cause I tend to put a lot of heavy stuff in trunk.
    Can you also use the cargo-net when you have the trunk-liner? I don't even see a place to mount the net in the trunk.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    The Civic has a lot of advanced safety features. I've been in two serious accidents in my life and both were in Hondas. I was "t-boned" on the passenger side in a '94 Civic and had a head-on collision in a '96 Accord. Both cars were destroyed, but I walked away with minimal injuries. They held up very well.

I'm going to venture that the new Civic will score at the very top of the class in crash results.

Buying a large, used SUV isn't very wise at a time when gas prices are rising almost every day. The Civic has served as safe, reliable transportation for thousands of young families and will only continue to do so.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The new Civic may be extremely safe, we just have to wait and see.
  • rl81rl81 Member Posts: 53
    It depends on how good of a driver you are. I am sure that a good driver will be able to avoid a lot of accidents, especially in a smaller more nimble car (like the Civic. If you don't think that you can avoid accidents that easy, then you want to be in a large, heavy car.
  • user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    Consider this:

2005 Accord Sedan LX auto TMV = $18610 incl. dest (invoice = $19034)

2005 Civic Sedan EX auto TMV = $17194 incl. dest (invloice = $17247)

2006 Civic Sedan EX auto TMV = $19330 incl. dest (invloice = $17972)

The 06 Civic EX cosrs about $2150 more then then 05 model. It also costs more then a 05 accord LX. I told you people this new model is going to make the price jump long time ago. I feel sorry for the misguided people buying this mediocre car, as it costs a LOT more then its competitors the mazda3 (sedan) and scion tC (coupe). Both have better engines, size, features and accessories and cost less. The 05 civic competed with them by offering steep discounts and ceaper price, but the new civic still doesn't match them while costing more.
  • yesrohyesroh Member Posts: 290
    A 2003 Ford Expedition would not have the reliability of the Civic and would be almost three years old by now. I think I'd get a used Camry or Accord or Honda Odyssey, which would satisfy the size requirement without the reliability question or the excessive gas usage.
    What a silly comparison. You are comparing last years cars (that may not even be available any more in most places) to a new model that's only been out a few weeks so is in short supply. Any 2005's still left are clearance priced just like the 2006s will be when the 2007s come out.
    Look at the invoice prices and MSRPs. The new Civic will also sell at big discounts once the supply catches up.
    The original poster was saying a Civic may be too dangerous for carrying a new baby, so probably wants something more than just a little bigger.
    Extended warranty is available for a 3 year old Expedition.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Your post is both misleading and downright incorrect!

You compare outgoing '05 models TMV prices with an '06 model instead of comparing MSRP which would make much more sense. Of course TMV would be lower for an '05 than an '06, particularly if the '06 is a new body style.

'06 Civic EX Sedan AT - MSRP- $19,610
    '06 Accord LX Sedan AT - MSRP- $21,375
    For years there has been about $2000 difference between the Civic EX and Accord LX. Nothing has changed in that respect.

You say the Civic costs "a LOT" more than the Mazda3 and Scion tC. Take a look at these numbers from Edmunds (all 2006 models)-

Scion tC - MSRP- $18,479/TMV- $18,479 (added side airbags, rear lip spoiler, security)

Honda Civic EX Coupe - MSRP- $18,810/TMV- $18,426

Mazda3 s Touring 4-door - MSRP- $20,015/TMV- $19,461 (added 5AT, Sunroof Pkg)

Honda Civic EX Sedan Automatic - MSRP- $19,610/TMV- $19,195

The TMV of the both Civics are slightly below the other car!

The prices of the '06 Civic vs. the '05 Civic have increased, but not dramatically. Remember that all '06 Civics have ABS and side airbags that many of the '05s didn't.
    The DX Sedan MSRP increased $1100, LX increased $700 and EX increased $750.
  • mdisal7mdisal7 Member Posts: 1
    I put a deposit down for an alabaster silver Civic LX Sedan 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to come in. I have been told that it should be in "any day now" and that it is "in transit" for the past week and I'm kinda getting impatient. I was told on Friday that it was coming from Japan. I was just wondering how long it typically takes for a car manufactured in Japan to get to the dealer on the US east coast?
    I am getting a decent deal. $17,000 plus tax out the door and there giving me $13,000 for my 2004 Civic LX with 26,000 miles on it. I'm also getting the LX Convienience package for an extra $935 with alloy wheels, mud guards, and a trunk accessory. That would be on top of the $17000 of course :)
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    so what is the msrp for the civic si?
  • kknowleskknowles Member Posts: 15
    Picked up my 06 LX coupe 5-speed yesterday. I had not driven one at highway speeds before purchase, and had been concerned about the discussion here on higher rpms and noise with the 5 speed vs. auto.

Other posters are correct in that the engine runs about 3000 rpm at 70 mph, but I am happy to report engine noise was a non-issue at that speed. The first part of my trip was on rough concrete, and tire noise was the only issue. On smooth asphalt, neither was an issue. I didn't really notice engine noise until 3500 rpm, and it was a little buzzy at 80 mph. But overall this car is quiter than the 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 that I loved and just sold.

I have not driven the Civic hard yet but acceleration is very comparable to what I usually demanded from the Eclipse. (Of course the Eclipse could go faster if I wanted it to, but I rarely drove it that way.)

My wife is looking at a Mazda3, and we test drove the 160hp AT version on the way to pick up the Civic. I was impressed with the ride and handling but did not see a significant difference from the Civic on that mild test. I did notice the engine seemed noisy, less smooth and was unimpressive in acceleration. May have been the tranny, but my 5 speed Civic seems close if not equal.

One other thing: I had previously citicized aspects of the Civic stereo, but I feel better about it after having time to adjust it properly. And, I noticed it does have high-mounted tweeters-- not in the usual place near the corners of the front windows -- but way up at the front corners of the dash. And the CD player is great with a burned disc of MP3s. It will handle the songs even if you put them in folders. You can change folders very quickly using the tuning knob, with very little delay between songs from one folder to the next. But it appears that random mode works only within a single folder, and not among all songs in all folders at the same time.
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    Um, I don't think the comment was about the out-the-door price not being important at all. But rather, when posting a price here, it's helpful to everyone to note the price after discounts and rebates, and before localized charges like taxes and fees, because the taxes and fees differ from place to place. I don't care what someone in Las Vegas paid for taxes and fees for example, because I'll pay totally different taxes and fees in Minneasota. Also the rebates received should be itemized, because not everyone qualfies for the same rebates (e.g. loyalty rebates, competitive rebates, college grad rebates, military rebates).

Backy and others, your point is well taken. I thought it was obvious I was referring to an out the door price within your own marketplace as the only important measure in the buying process. If you are comparing prices on an Interstate basis, clearly this doesn't work.

Sorry for shooting and then aiming....
    To your information, the 05 civic were being sold $750-$1000 BELOW INVOICE just a few months ago, now they are selling just a little below invoice - in fact they went up in price because the supply is dwindling. You'd be wise to research stuff before making unchecked false declarations such as that 05 civic is cheap now because of "clearance sales". In fact the civic has been selling below invoice for a very long time.

Not sure how you compare the mazda 3 S (2.3L) to the civic EX, you should compare the 3 i which has a 2.0L engine which is closer to the civic's power, but still better. So the mazda 3i touring automatic with the ABS/airbags and moonroof/6CD TMV is $18,337 (invoice = $17536). Again, compare that to the civic EX sedan TMV = $19330 which is $1000 more !!!! There is no way around this, the 06 civic EX costs $1K more then a comparable 06 mazda 3 (in this case 3i touring). And the mazda has a larger, more powerful engine, a 6-CD changer, and sports shift (auto-manual). Not to mention more upscale interior.

As for the coupe, the 06 scion tC automatic w/side airbags is $18165, again about $1K less then the civic EX coupe. Not sure why you added the spoiler the the security system, as these are optional and are not comparable to civic equipment. In fact the scion has 17" wheels (vs 16" on civic), knee airbags, and dual moonroof, not to mention a much more powerful engine (2.4L 160hp) - all for $1000 less.

I'm really really trying to understand folks who buy civics at these prices, but the only answer I can come up with is that its people which are hung up on the notion of buying a civic and have not really cross shopped or compared it seriously to the alternatives. That is also evident from their posts here. These people are the opposite of what a smart consumer should do, and I feel sorry for them.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Well, it's on all the window stickers of all the cars I have bought anyway. Next time you go into a dealer, look at the window sticker carefully. The wording I stated, or something similar, should be in small print somewhere on that sticker. I just looked at all the window stickers for the new cars I've purchased (I like to save them), and all of them--including a Honda Civic--have a statement about pre-delivery service being included, going back to 1976.
    --------------------------------------------

Looked at two window stickers I have kept on my two prior vehicals and no where I can find the Dealer Doc Fee. I did see on one sticker the prep fee by the manufacture, which was $ 0 amount. Only when I got the final sales papers did I see this Doc Fee here in Florida....Interesting
    I never said you'd find a DOC FEE on the window sticker. I said you'd find wordinng to the effect that the MSRP includes dealer prep--and you found that text. The doc fee would not be on any window sticker because it varies by state, even by dealer in some states (i.e. a lot of it is pure profit).
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    I'm really really trying to understand folks who buy civics at these prices, but the only answer I can come up with is that its people which are hung up on the notion of buying a civic and have not really cross shopped or compared it seriously to the alternatives. That is also evident from their posts here. These people are the opposite of what a smart consumer should do, and I feel sorry for them.

People are driving off with the car they enjoy. They're happy with their purchase and you feel sorry for them? Very strange. You seem to be hung up on NOT buying a civic and that's your perogative. But I wouldn't feel sorry for someone who is enjoying their new car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's stay focused on the Civic in this discussion. We have a topic dedicated to the discussion of Documentation Fees, and that's the best place for the conversation.

I'm feeling a little hostility in here, so let's back off the personally-directed comments, please. Opinions are subjective by nature, so let's be respectful of the perspective of others.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Here in the Southeast region the tC with auto, airbag package is $18165 (invoice on Scions are irrelevant as they are sold at set price only). When in about 6 months the Civics are at $0-500 over invoice, the price will be 18000-18500 and those two models will be identically priced. Of course at 15k miles a year the difference between the 35mpg on the Civic and 25.5mpg on the tC will mount up quickly. At $3 a gallon the difference will be $478 dollars saved per year. Makes you wonder in about 6 months how sorry the Civic owners will have to feel for the poor tC buyers.
    You didn't research properly. The Civic EX coupe comes with security system, rear lip spoiler and subwoofer standard (besides the side curtain airbags).
    You need to add that to the Scion tC prices to make it more comparable to a Civic EX coupe.
    I would wait for supply to get better before buying a Civic though, because discounts will get much better than they are at the moment.
    Scion uses much more gas than a Civic for very little extra performance.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    User1235,

I have read a number of your posts and you seem to be a well informed consumer...but what I don't understand is why you continue to post your opinion about how you cannot see people paying what they are paying for the new Civic.
    Obviously this board is for the new 06 Civic and the issues that deal with it...in your last few posts you are comparing it to other cars...I believe there are other forum topics where your comparisons would be better served....
    If you do not like the Civic then don't buy one...if the Mazda 3 or the Scion tc is better then that would mean you should go there and purchase one at your earliest opportunity...right now the 06 Civics are hot...every new model goes through this phase...in a couple of months (by Christmas time) things will slow down and cool off...being a informed consumer you should already know that...the Mazda 3 and the Scion have been out now for a few model years and the newness has worn off as will the Civic in do time...but to compare TMV prices right now against each other is not really a fair accessment of what the future holds....
    If you cannot understand why everyone is going ga...ga...over the new Civic then perhaps maybe you should not question why people are doing what they are doing...it's very simple...people will pay what they think is fair TO THEM...whether that is MSRP or invoice...whether it's now or 6 months from now...
    If reading all of this upsets you (as it appears it may based on some of your posts) then perhaps the Mazda forum or the Scion forum would be a better place for you...that way at least you will like the cars right?
    To all of the other future Civic owners out there...Pay what you think the car is worth...enjoy it...and do it with a smile on your face....regardless of the costs....life is short....you know you are getting the most reliable, safe, and quality car on the road today!
    Happy Motoring!
  • heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    I think you did a good job clarifying the price between Civic and Accord.

Civic is a great reliable car. With this year's change they brought the fun back to owning a Civic.

However, I'm really hung up on not paying MSRP or MSRP + $$$.

As dealers still charge MSRP + $1,000 or so for 06' Civic EX, if you can knock off $1,000 for the new Accord LX, would that make the price equal?

In two or three months from now, I'm sure this topic would be meaningless and again it would be cheaper to acquire a Civic.

As far as I know, Scion is mighty proud of their Tc. I test drove at a Toyota dealer couple months ago. It was nice but no discount (staight up MSRP) and no budging. At the same dealer however, there was more comfortable Camry LE auto (I'm old, so my back was not comfortable in Tc) for $1,200 less.

Mazda 3 is nice. It's too bubbly for me. But it is a better value than its sister, Volvo S40 for sure.
  • fordfocusfordfocus Member Posts: 37
    LOLOLOL, sorry about that :D

I do wonder, though, if any color offered by Honda can look like that in any light situation...?

I am now considering a black sedan after seeing the silver one in real life...the other poster was right...the new silver is just like the old silver...
    What I find is that it does not have "depth" to it like MB/BMW silvers.

BTW I drove the auto sedan EX up to about 50 MPH and in general, the steering and ride are not as good as my old Focus, but they are cars for different needs...efficiency, resale value, reliability vs fun...I am not rich enough to afford the latter :(

I noticed that the front end of the car seemed to bob up and down as though it were more front end heavy than the Focus...was it just me?

But I love the interior design, the dash is deep, but low. The gas pedal, though, has a WAY too abrupt tip in for smooth starts. I now wonder what the manual will be like with abrupt throttle tip-in. No manauls in Canada, yet. It really bugs me when automakers do this to give the impression of power...the engine doesn't feel as "punchy" as I have been lead to believe on the forums.

For passengers, especially the little ones, I have no doubts that the new Civic will be superior.

Anyone have pictures of a black Sedan? thanks...
  • kknowleskknowles Member Posts: 15
    "I'm really really trying to understand folks who buy civics at these prices..."

You keep using the EX as a comparison point. I went with the LX because there are few differences with the EX. I got the same power, wheel sizes and all the safety features at a lower price. I did not want a sunroof.

You also fail to take mileage into consideration, which is important for some people. If you compare the 3S (29mpg?) to any auto Civic (40 mpg), with my longish commute (21K mostly highway) at $2.75 a gallon, the Civic would likely save me more than $500 a year or $2,000 over the course of a 4-year loan. If gas should rise, the savings will too.

I realize the Civic may not get advertised mpg, but then I doubt the Mazda does either.

Plus, to my taste, the Civic couple looks new and cool, while I find the Mazdas to be much more ordinary looking. But I can appreciate why people like them.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I thought I would share my internet buying experience with our local dealer . . . I e-mailed the Internet Manager re. a 2006 Civic LX sedan. Apparently, his assistant or another salesman called me this morning, and said: "The 2006 Civic Hybrid is not going to be available for some time." When I told him I wasn't interested in the HCH, but the LX sedan he said "I should consider the EX." Either he didn't get a copy of my original e-mail, or he ignored it, as I'm only interested in the LX.

He then said: "We are scheduled to receive a few more LX's soon. Why don't you come in and put your bid in on one that's soon to arrive." Aha . . . so that's it, the dealer is selling each unit as it arrives to the highest bidder! My mother didn't raise a fool for a son. If this is the case at my local dealer, I will either look elsewhere or wait until next year.

I really disliked the salesman's smugness. Of course, this is a car salesperson's dream, but it's also a reasonable and pragmatic customer's nightmare.
    This is the kind of practice that made me run from my Honda dealer in 1999 when I bought a minivan ("get in line, maybe if you're lucky you'll get a van in a few months for whatever price we set") and in 2000 when I bought a compact sedan ($20k for an EX loaded with tack-ons, take it or leave it). So two other automakers got my business then. Lack of a 5-door Civic lost Honda my business in 2004. OTOH, when the 2004 Prius was in huge demand with a long waiting list, my local dealer was very up-front and professional about the whole thing, even gave me a $500 discount off list, and made sure I and other buyers were regularly informed about our status on the wait list. I ended up not getting the Prius, but I would go back to that dealer in a heartbeat.

A good measure of how well a dealer will treat you is what they do when a vehicle is in short supply, as the '06 Civic is right now.
    Go look at civic prices and buying experience thread a few months ago people were getting 2005 civic EX for $16.5K because of the incentives due to declining sales they could get it for almost $1000 below invoice.

The new 2006 civic EX (auto) is sold right now for $19.5K. Do the math it's $3000 more. In fact due to the sticker shock for a 06 a lot of people are buying 05s which are still in stock, so the incentives on it were also stopped and now it sells for invoice. Still it's $2000 cheaper then 06.

It's ok you can justify it to yourself by saying that you get the side airbags, it's probably worth the difference.
    This is going to be a moot point very soon, since most 2005s are already gone and a better supply of 2006s are on the way which means lower prices for 2006s.
    Of course if a dealer still has 2005s, they are going to push those very hard to get rid of them. There would be no way anyone would buy a leftover 2005 if they could buy a new 2006 for even close to the same price. There will also be a big difference in resale value down the road.
  • marko959marko959 Member Posts: 5
    I'm 6'4" and 245lbs. I have sat in the Civic 4 door and found it uncomfortable. However, I sat in an EX coupe today(did not drive it) and found it a better fit, except for the side bolsters on the seats, which felt like they were squeezing me.

I would like to know if there are any other large people out there that have purchased a 2006 Civic and can give some feed back as to how comfortable they are during their daily drive.

Also, I think Honda has made a mistake with the bi-level dash. I found that with the steering wheel at the height I desired, part of the digital speedometer was blocked.

I predict that within a couple of years, they will go back to a more traditional dash layout.

Thanks
  • rossetterrossetter Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX this past Friday...and I'm sorry to say that I am feeling regrets! I traded in a 2004 Honda Accord LX after putting 24,000 miles on it in 14 months. Since it was leased...I felt pressure to either re-finance...or trade it in on a 2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX which intrigued me because of the re-design and increased fuel economy. Overall, I find the 2006 Civic Sedan a good vehicle but after driving it this past weekend I noticed (more than I anticipated) that the vehicle is a LOT less comfortable than my Accord, the ride is a lot rougher, and there is a LOT more road noise. Additionally, I didn't realize until this weekend that there are no cup-holders in the back seat (which REALLY annoyed my daughter), and I miss the trunk release on the key fob. But...the BIGGEST annoyance that I have found is the HEADRESTS! I just CANNOT get comfortable driving this car because the headrest forces my head forward...what's up with that? I don't know what to do???
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    again...as many posters have already said....it's the same deal on any model closeouts that goes on at the end of the model year.....it is not just Honda that does it....as soon as the 05's are gone...no more incentives...as soon as the 06's stock arrives at dealers....the prices will go down....it's just as simple as that...
    From a business sense it's smart....if people are willing to pay $19.5 for this car then sell them at that price...as soon as it slows down the price will go down...
    supply and demand....that's what drives price.....since you are not willing to pay $19.5 then don't....but you and I both know that right now someone will come right behind you and pay that price....and do you know why? Because they can....and want to....I'm like you....I would never pay that amount...I can wait...but I don't come on here all the time and question why people are paying that price...I already know....and I think you know as well....you can compare all day long with other cars....it doesn't accomplish much....if you as the consumer do not want this product then don't buy it....simple...but not everyone is like you or me...MSRP or invoice just doesn't mean the same thing to everyone...if they want the 06 Civic and willing to pay the price then good for them....They will enjoy their car....and I bet they will also have a smile on their face....so if you would like to continue to post comparisons to other vehicles it does no good....people are excited about the new Civic and if so....then how about we just let them enjoy their new cars and not keep questioning why people are paying whatever amount for the new Civic...
    To all new Civic owners....Enjoy!
  • fordfocusfordfocus Member Posts: 37
    uh-oh...I know I regret selling my focus as well...before test driving the new civic! I am so dumb, but I didn't expect it to drive that way after my first drive a few days ago. I'll still be buying it, though, because I like the design and hope to be able to get used to it so much that I'll forget about my previous car...maybe that is the only thing you can do right now, rossetter.
  • paula5762paula5762 Member Posts: 7
    I think you're comparing apples to oranges!
    Of course the Civic is a little less comfortable - it is smaller than the Accord, lighter, etc... I'm selling my '99 Accord and am in the process of purchasing the '06 Civic - just waiting for it to arrive. The new Civic is a blast to drive and far superior to the '05 Civic I test drove. The gas mileage is teriffic too. The EX model does have a trunk release on the key fob. I too had concerns about the head rest, but did not feel or notice it during the test drive. Surely there is some adjustment you can make.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,543
    sat in a coupe today. The seats seemed more comfy (better shaped) than the sedan, but it might be my imaginatin. Definitely had bigger side bolsters though.

I also drove an Accord today. It is a more comfortable, quiet and serence car. not quite as "frisky", but it still drives very well. Much more relaxed engine too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yes...I agree with "apples to oranges"...but I was and am still willing to make the trade-offs of the quality of the ride for the lower cost and increased mileage...I just can't get past the head rest thing. I didn't really notice this problem when test driving...of course there is SO much to take in when test driving! However...it just so happened that I had a trip scheduled to Indianapolis this past weekend so I have already put 200 miles on the car so I think I have a pretty good feel for the vehicle. I also had a friend tell me that she had a similar "headrest" problem with her Ford Taurus and had to live with shoulder and neck pain for the entire 2 years that she owned the car. I have tried to lower, raise, and even reverse the headrest...but nothing helped. I'm seriously thinking about returning the vehicle to the dealer tonight for either a 2005 Accord or nothing at all. It just so happens that my husband has not even signed the papers yet and is supposed to do that tomorrow morning...so I don't think they can hold me to the deal...do you?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    rossetter,

I too drive a 2004 Accord (V6 EX Coupe with Navigation) and am interested in the 2006 Civic EX Sedan to replace another vehicle. We should always expect that a compact car (Civic class) will have fewer amenities and perhap a slightly rougher ride, and be slightly less comfortable than a midsize car (Accord class). That wouldn't be a surprise to many people.

Yes, your Civic LX doesn't have rear cup holders... but the 2006 Civic EX does.

Yes, your Civic LX doesn't have a trunk release on the key fob... but the 2006 Civic EX does.

All models of the 2006 Civic have active head restraints (located where they are to reduce whiplash injuries in accidents, that's why they are not intended to be head rests). You should be able to avoid regular contact with them if you tilt your seatback a bit more rearward.
    Thanks for your feedback! While driving the Civic this past weekend I tried elevating the head "restraint", lowering it, AND tilting the seat more backwards. Adjusting the tilt of the seat resolved the head restraint problem...but I did not feel comfortable driving in a somewhat "reclined" position and it also reduced the space for the rear passenger. I'm actually starting to think that the "bend" in the head restraint bars needs to be adjusted! Perhaps this is a defect!!! I am headed to the dealer this evening in hopes to resolve this issue one way or another. If I could just get new head restraints with less of an angle forward...I would be content....thanks again!
  • ciprianciprian Member Posts: 10
    For owners of Civic 06: what is the real gas milage you get on this car?
    After 500 miles (on my new EX) - I still get aprox 30 mpg for mixed driving (over 70% on freeway). I expected a better mpg (as long as EPA listed 30/40 mpg).
    I commute around 20 miles/day. I used to get aprox 33-35 mpg with my old Toyota Corrola 2001 (for the same commute)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    If you haven't signed the purchase contract yet, they can't make you buy it. They might impose (reasonable) rental fee, but that's it.
  • andysandiegoandysandiego Member Posts: 54
    For weeks I've been trying to rationalize some way to trade our '04 EX auto sedan for an '06 same LX, and kept recalculating the financial hit. Today I put the matter to rest by figuring how many miles of gas I could buy for the money I'd have to pay, plus selling the '04 - and came up with over 50,000 miles using $3 gas. That put my dreams of a trade to rest - (and I do prefer the ride of the '04 to that of the '06).

Soon the emphasis in this forum will shift to the new Si. I won't trade for that but I am so tempted just to buy an MT Si, with 18-inch wheels and performance tires. I hope it comes in Rallye Red.
  • simonteksimontek Member Posts: 1
    Wheres the GA plant going to be located? I am in Savannah.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    Hondas take a few 1000 miles to show true mpg colors. How fast is your highway speed on the commute?. I would have thought mid 30's in you scenario of driving.
    Wrong, if you are savy new EX auto sedan can be has for $18,388 or less.
    check out web prices for mark roberts motors in Oklahoma. Real deal.

For feature improvements the deal is fair.
    Keep it or trade it in. Sell Civic yourself and less pain.
    I think you would have liked the new Accord SE sedan with carbon fiber trim, 6 disk, nice alloys all for about $20,000 in automatic (Good negiotator)
    My buddy managed to buy a 06 Accord EX V-6 sedan 6 speed for $25,300 and it is a new model!!
  • murph76murph76 Member Posts: 3
    Sticker was 17860.00 for the sedan. The Passat was the biggest mistake I ever made. It spent more time in the repair bay than on the road. They also have the most awful customer care. I was stuck in North Carolina for 3 days waiting for corporate to approve a new transmission @ 4000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.