Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    Hondas take at least over 8000 miles to get good mileage. My '04 SI has over 11K, the mileage shot up when it hit 10K. I get 32mpg daily now....up to 40mpg on the highway. :) New engines need to break-in and loosen up to get the good mileage. I'm sure the new '06 hondas are the same way. Enjoy passing gas stations....
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    Has anyone seen the new 06 HCH on lots yet? MSRP announcements? Last I heard, they were supposed to start hitting lots Oct. 5th, but I know some of the regular sedans came in a few days early. It's probably more likely the hybrids will come in a few days late, but I can't wait to see them!

Does anyone have the same head restraint problems in the sedans, or is it in the coupes only?
  • leslie19hbleslie19hb Member Posts: 5
    mdisal7 where are you located? I also have a 2004 Civic LX (mine has 24k miles) and was wondering how much they could give me for it...How did you manage to get such a great deal?? Can you give me some pointers? (In the past I've been able to get great deals on my cars-I paid 13.9 for the 04-but with the demand on this 06 I thought I was hopeless)
    Well, let me know
    Thanks!
  • leslie19hbleslie19hb Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking of getting rid of my 2004 Civic to get the 06 one. My boyfriend is also thinking of trading in his 2001 Accord for a newer car.

I brought my 04 $800 under INVOICE (for $13.9) and I am not willing to pay not one penny over Invoice price-ever! Even if I am infatuated with the Civic. As you can see I have NO problem with walking away if I don't get what I want...

Does anyone think that the dealers (I live in California) will give me a GREAT price for the new Civic if I purchase 2 of them?!?!

I mean, they can make no money (or a couple of cars) on one day, or make commission on $30k -if they treat me nicely- on one shot...
    What do you people think??? What price do you think they should give me?

Thanks for the input!

PS: I am thinking of purchasing close to Xmas when they are struggling more for a sale & a good price for me means they can get some good last minute Xmas $$ for them! It's a win-win situation :D
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Announcement is the 5th...My dealer in Massachusetts is telling me his first one to hit his lot(already pre-sold) has a build date of October 16th.
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    So the honda.ca site has been updated. The DX-G is priced at $18,300 and the LX at $20,300 (all CDN $). From what I can tell, $2K gets you
    - 16" alloys shod with 205s over 15" steel with 195s
    - cruise control
    - map light
    - outside Temperature Display

Am I missing something here? $2K is an awful lot for wheels and cruise. Why would you get the LX? Might as well get an EX if you really want the wheels and cruise. Otherwise, I'd get the DX-G and pop for wheels in the spring.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Does the DX-G include A/C? The DX in the States does not.
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    OK, thanks theking, so announcements (i.e., pricing) on the HCH comes out tomorrow? I expect that with NAV it will be just over $23K, which is what the dealer projected. Are you in the Boston area? I'm in Massachusetts, too - Northampton.

Is the 16th one of the 1st build dates? I heard from this forum that they started building the hybrids on the 21st of Sept. If they start building on the 16th, that makes a transport from Japan to the loading docks, to the trucks, ~ 1 week? I'm just trying to time it so that my daughter knows when she gets my current car...
  • macjmacj Member Posts: 1
    My feelings exactly concerning the Canadian DX-G option. The alloy wheels would be nice but not at $2000 dollars more.

We put a deposit on a vehicle expecting delivery later in October. We had been looking at a Corolla but a couple of areas of concern stood out. I'm a big guy and while I found the Corolla comfortable, my elbows had no where to go. I was surprised how roomy the Civic was. The other was the standard safety equipment. To have curtain airbags and ABS in a corolla, I would be looking at a few thousand more. From what I have read about crash safety, your way better off to have curtain airbags in a small car. My wife is the car enthusiast and she found the handling more to her liking.

The thing I did not like was I felt it was bit nosier and suspension didn't seem as good when compared to the Corolla.

My first post. Edmonds is the best place for car information.
    Canadian DX-G does include A/C - the DX does not.
    So is the Canadian DX-G as well equipped compared to the LX as it sounds? Just like you said, alloys are nice, but the DX-G would suit me fine, especially considering the standard safety features (ABS, curtain airbags, etc.). I actually would miss the cruise the most but this would mainly be a commuter car so no big deal. I'll be buying (or leasing) early in the new year and due to the safety features the Civic is back near the top of my list again (along with the Mazda3 and maybe the base Sonata 5spd).
  • suhrsuhr Member Posts: 6
    Hi there -

I'm a brand-new '06 Civic owner. I was totally convinced for the last two years my next car would be a 3-series or an A4, but one drive in the new Civic totally won me over... not to mention I'm a tech guy and all the frills sealed the deal. Of course, being an IT consultant, 30 - 40 MPG didn't hurt.
    Thought I'd post some details on the nav system in case anyone's interested. I had a difficult time finding any info on it other than what's in the Honda marketing materials.
    First, there are several methods by which to control the unit, including voice, touch-screen, and joystick/button. I was very pleasantly surprised by this, as there was no mention of touch-screen functionality in the aforementioned materials I'd seen. The voice entry is, so far, stellar. I played for about 20 minutes and it recognized everything on the first try. It not only controls nav functions, but it can also control audio functions (CD, radio, XM, storage card, etc.) and general setup.
    The GPS is excellent. I worked for awhile at one of the top GPS-manufacturing companies here in the US and this nav system so far beats that company's units. Instead of the standard 1-per-second updates often seen on GPS units, this seems to be more on the order of at least 2 per second, if not more. The result is a very smooth display of your current position which is invaluable in complex highway driving situations. I haven't tried any points of interest yet, so I can't report on accuracy of data. I do know the map database is on a DVD, which sits in a DVD drive directly inside the navigation unit. It can be ejected and replaced as updates become available.
    I've ordered XM but it hasn't yet arrived at the dealer, so nothing to report on that yet (only complaint--XM is standard on the coupe EX, but not the sedan. Weird, if you ask me).
    On storage cards: it utilizes a PC Card slot, and in the manual it recommends CompactFlash-type cards (which must be then connected through a PC Card adapter), though I'd be willing to bet that you could purchase a PC Card adapter for many other types of flash memory (SD, Memory Stick, etc.) and they'd work with no problem. I may give it a shot for the heck of it. I do have CF and the corresponding PC Card adapter, which I will be trying shortly. I'll post if I have any problems.

All in all, great impression so far. And oh yeah, it drives great, too!
  • navlovernavlover Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the notes on the Nav. I'm definitely looking forward to it. One question - how is it as far as "sun" glare. The angle of the screen is interesting, but I'm thinking it might pick up a lot of glare because of it.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I think the only other difference between the DX-G and LX are the body color mirrors and door handles. Still, $2000 more for the LX is insane! Doesn't make sense.

It's interesting that they offer the DX-G in Canada. I wonder why they don't in the U.S.? I've read before that Canadians are a little more cost-conscious than American buyers, so maybe that's they felt they needed a model between the DX and DX-G?

Just for the heck of it, I converted the DX-G price from CDN to USD and it comes to $15,608. That's before any discount. Great price for a lot of car!
    Glare wasn't bad driving home about 40+ highway miles during the afternoon rush. I had no trouble seeing it and it was only at half brightness. There are also controls for black level and contrast adjustments to tweak it to your liking.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    suhr, nice review. If you wouldn't mind, could you also explain the various possible uses for the storage card feature? And on the NAV, can you input addresses, either by voice or touch screen/joystick, when the car is moving? (for passenger use only, of course!)
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    The differences between the DXG and the LX are:
    - 16 inch alloys
    - body colored mirrors and door handles
    - heated mirrors
    - outside temperature gauge
    - overhead front map lights
    - cruise control
    - intermittent wipers

A bunch of minor stuff. I think the biggest seller is going to be the DX-G and the EX.

Freight and PDI makes the price: $19525 for the DX-G, $21525 for the LX.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Its a shame most folks dont have a dealer like Mark Roberts Honda. Purchased our Accord there. And will be buying our Civic from them also. Will travel in to purchase from them if we ever leave Oklahoma. :shades:
  • corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    So far, the only use I know of for the memory card is as a medium for mp3 music.

With regards to the Navi, all other H/A navi units allow you to fiddle with the navi system while you are driving. I dont see why this would change now.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Well, I have been all over the city looking at four possible buys. The Matrix, tC, RSX and Civic Coupe. Everyone one of these cars has pluses and minus. I finally decided that the Civic was more to my taste. It has the latest styling (inside/outside), lots of safety features, great MPG and I've be one of the first to have one in my neck of the woods. I did not get the Nav system but added fog lights, nose mask and the inside LED kit to a silver EX Coupe. I'll post pics once the vehicle is delivered later this week.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Thanks for the review. Can you do everything with the joystick that you can do with the touch screen & vice versa?
    The storage card feature is for the audio system--it recognizes mp3 and WMA formats (I hear iPod integration is coming soon as well). A 1GB CF card and PC Card adapter will run about $120 total, and 1GB is enough for 20-30 albums' worth of content depending on compression rates and album length. Look at it as a very small 20+-disc CD changer. Pop it in your laptop's PC card slot, copy mp3's or wma's to it, and stick it in your nav system. Easy as that. The card system is also completely controllable via voice recognition as are all other audio systems.
    You can do everything while the car is moving that can be done while sitting still. In addition to the standard steering wheel audio controls, there are two steering wheel buttons for nav control - one to signal to the system that you're going to speak a command, and one to back out of an already-given command. This is great for entering instructions or destination info while driving.
    One other thing, the audio system automatically reduces volume in the front speakers when the nav gives voice feedback on a route. Very handy and another huge benefit over your run-of-the-mill portable nav systems.
    Yes, as far as I can tell so far, the joystick can do everything that can be done via touch screen and voice recognition, although I don't really know why you'd do that... it's much easier IMO to operate it by touch.
  • user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    instead of setting new standards in the compact category, like the mazda 3 and scion tC did, it's just a slight improvement (if at all) over the outgoing civic, which doesn't come close to the class leaders, while giving honda a golden opportunity to hike the price by 2-3 grand. Good luck to honda, but I think this falls short and will invariably be a lackluster seller.
  • braclobraclo Member Posts: 2
    I'm driving about 70 miles a day commuting on my 06 LX sedan. On my 2nd tank I has 34mpg. I just turned 1000 miles so I don't think it's really broke in yet. This is mostly hwy miles driving between 60-75 mph. We'll have to see about the long term mileage. I'm going to be disapointed unless I don't avg 35mpg. In any case, It's a great car to drive and really comfortable considering it's a compact.
    If gas hits $4/gallon i'm going to put off buying a new SUV like the Pilot indefinately. My old 98 CRV is doing just fine still.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I thought the Civic was your clear favorite. Nothing new here from your post. Please buy the tC or contribute something new or significant. Previous posts from many showed comparable prices for the Mazda3, tC and Civic EX especially after the Civic supply ramps up. The Civic also showed significant long term cost savings due to considerably better fuel economy than the others.
  • brupopbrupop Member Posts: 63
    Dude, give it a rest!!
    If you're right, the market will punish Honda, and you can come back to this forum in a year and gloat. For now, let us who want to discuss the new Civic do so without your constant ranting.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Good luck to honda, but I think this falls short and will invariably be a lackluster seller.

Your opinion on the new Civic is just that.
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Member Posts: 30
    Don't feed the trolls, probably some Tc slob owner. If scions have been distiguished by somethng is their mediocrity. They are simply stylish versions of the never-sell Echo.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    brupop,

Could not have said it better myself!
    I don't understand why this guy (user1235) continues to post threads about how disappointed he is with the new Civic....you, me, and everyone else in this forum has been telling him the same thing..yet he's still here...am I missing something here....for someone who cannot stand the new Civic you would thing this guy would go hand out in one of the other forums where he can feel the love...
    User1235...get on with life!
  • ezpilzeezpilze Member Posts: 29
    If you REALLY thought about it, the new si is essentially a redesigned rsx type-s with an armrest. And just because its a honda doesn't mean a thing, I bet many rsx type-s owners would much prefer the Honda Integra, which is essentially a more beefed up version of the type-s. I don't quite understand what you're saying about "slight improvement" or "setting new standards", since this car can easily out perform the mazda 3 and the tc or any other previous civic models. As for the price pricing for a car that essentially shares the same K20 engine as the 24 grand rsx along with racing suspensions and such, 21 grand sounds quite reasonable. Also, if you've ever checked resell values on car, you'll notice that Hondas tend to be higher up than mazdas or the new scions. I love the tC for the daily driving coupe it was meant to be, but I believe the si was meant for rev happy idiots like myself who ENJOY the driving experience.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Considering Mazda only offers a 4-speed AT vs. the Civic's 5-speed, I think Mazda is the rip-off. And on the 3 Coupe...ooops. Mazda doesn't even offer a 3 coupe - just a sedan or 5-door hatch. Gee, real sporty, Mazda!.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    suhr, thanks again for the additional information. Great contributions to the forum.
    not true, 2006 mazda 3 has a 5 speed automatic with manual control (e-shift). Way better then the civic's. And it also has 4 years warranty vs civic 3 years. It's the top recommendation by consumer reports, and outsells the civic in most countries of the world (incl canada). For a $1000 less than civic EX (TMV) you get a bigger, faster, more powerful car, and that also includes the 6-cd changer. Anyway, I like manaul transmission, and the mazda has one of the best while civic was described here as "rubbery". Even people that enjoy their purchase will likely feel different when after a few month the neighbor's daughter buys the same car for $2K less (which automatically means their car depreciated by $2K more then usual).
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Only the Mazda 3s has the 5 speed auto, and that's with the 2.3L engine, which doesn't come close to the Honda on gas mileage. To each their own. Enjoy your Mazda, it too is a good car in this segment. And time will tell what Consumer Reports has to say about the 06 Civic.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    What amazes me about all of your posts is you keep throwing the TMV price out there for a car that has been on the market for 2 weeks...get a clue!
    Again, as said before, so many times, the re-design Civic is like any other re-design model that comes out....it will be a very hot seller, especially because of the fuel prices...then in 3 or so months dealer stocks will increase....price will decrease....therefore the TMV price will decrease as well.....even you can figure that one out....and oh by the way....we americans don't give a hoot about how cars sell in other countries....period.
    I sure hope you own a Mazda....because if you don't then you are talking through your hat! And by the way....the e-shift is nothing like having a manual transmission...how do I know you ask? Because I have one....and it's nothing like a real manual tranny....
    My co-worker has a Mazda3....he bought it the first model year it came out....and guess what....he paid big time....and now...the Mazda3's are a dime a dozen!!!!
    I wonder why?
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    First I got a new 06 Civic EX sedan in white for automatic for $18,350 in Tulsa, OK.
    I tinted windows, added leather steering wheel cover, splash guards and half bra from HondaAcura world--pricing details on other discussion in this forum. Bottom line, this car is a very surprising mix of econo-luxury and sportiness. I bought a J vin which I am told was Honda's way of hiding from spy shots in Japan. Build date is July and 3xxx in production. I have found only on flaw with interior trim in back where pass feet go under seat their is little fabric panel which is uneven. Feet go there so no sure any sane person would ever notice it.

I have put 400 miles on this car and I did come out of a 05 TL which I sold privately last Friday. Nice but I am enjoying my $11,000 rebate on the civic,-- I go thru cars alot, I mean alot. Anyhow, the 5 speed auto is very flexible and runs at a lowly 2000 rpm at 62. The manual is above 2700 at same speed as I recall. Anyhow, mpg in my flat, hiway commute at about 65 or slightly less is the stated 40. I hope to break in and use 5w20 castrol syn. and end up after 5,000 miles with low 40's. If I tire of the car in 8 months or so I expect resale will be very good. My big likes are one touch roof, economy, very comfortable seats, lined truck lid (nice touch), nice interior with huge CD storage and moving armrest, regular gas..

Dislikes, cornering is a little unstable and suspension cannot handle uneven pavement when doing do. Feels odd. Maybe too used to the TL that was a near perfect car. Looks are growing on me but exterior is interesting to say the least.

Anyhow, my 98 civic EX manual was $15,700, had crappy tires, no alloys, no CD, cheap fabric and nasty armrest, only two airbags, plastic wheel covers, no security system and only 127 hp at best with 1.6 l engine. What I am saying is if you look at what you get now compared to then, content has increased markedly.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Who really uses TMV pricing anyway, and isn't it simply an AVERAGE of what you could pay for the car, meaning you could do BETTER or WORSE when buying one???

I know when I got my Altima, I paid SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW the TMV price on Edmunds.com and that was back in March of 2004, when the 05 Altima hit the lots.

Give it a REST.
  • mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    Regarding the difference in warranties.....really, the difference is negligible. I have owned 2 Mazdas and 2 Hondas (all bought new) and the Hondas had fewer problems than the Mazdas overall. In brief, to me the shorter warranty offered by Honda really meant nothing because I didn't even need it, whereas for the Mazdas various mechanical problems necessitated use of the warranty. Longer warranties do not necessarily equate to better cars (see Kia and Hyundai, for example).
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Now, what new standards are you talking about, being set by the 3? And why talk about other countries sales, when the 3 gets its [non-permissible content removed] kicked by both the Civic and the Corolla in the US? Or is this when you get to say 'its unique.'

It would also help if you could provide us some numbers on various countries where the 3 outsells a Civic. Real numbers, not 'zoom zoom' numbers.

As for Honda being punished in the marketplace, lets wait and see, I can bet the scorecard won't change. Wanna bet? Or are you now going to say that the american public is crazy, mad etc etc as they don't buy as many 3s. as Civics? And you do know that Mazda is discounting 4-5k for Mazda 6?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said, in part:

Dislikes, cornering is a little unstable and suspension cannot handle uneven pavement when doing do. Feels odd. Maybe too used to the TL that was a near perfect car. Looks are growing on me but exterior is interesting to say the least.

That surprises me; Hondas used to be known for their handling, and the '06 is supposed to mark a return to excellent handling. The Coupe in particular now has stiffer shocks and springs than the Sedan and is especially appealing to me for that reason (although I have gotten a lot desirous of quiet in a car).

BTW, how quiet is the Coupe? Consumer Guide rates it a notch quiert than other compacts, and only one notch below the Camry, known for its quiet.

(For comparison, they rate my Focus ZX3 at 4, a VW Golf or Scion xA at 5, the new Civic at 6, and a Camry at 7, all on a scale of 1-10; they are hard graders, too, much like Consumer Reports.)
    Consumer reports (tm) ratings for the Mazda 3:

Predicted Reliability: Excellent
    Owner Statisfaction: Excellent
    Predicted Depreciation: Excellent

For Honda Civic (outgoing model)

Predicted Reliability: Excellent
    Owner Statisfaction: Very Good
    Predicted Depreciation: Good

Consumer reports bases its recomendations both on car performance and features AND consumer feedback recieved from hundreds of thousands of subscribers that fill anual surveys. Consumer reports tries to be objective and does not accept money from advertisers and other companies.

The above helps explain the decline in civic sales vs increase in mazda3 sales. Of course the new model might be different, but please STOP SAYING THAT CIVIC HAD BETTER RESALE IN THE PAST - Consumer reports data prioves it's not true in recent years (vs mazda 3).

Just trying to enlighten the the readers here, so they can make better choices for themeselves. Contrary to what civic fanboys might think, this forum is NOT only for people that already made up their mind and love the new civic. It is for all consumers interested in the new model, that want to hear the good and the bad.
    :
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm thinking that it's time for you to head to the Comparisons board and set up a comparo that will fit your interests. That way others who want to pursue this debate can join you there and those who aren't interested can just focus on the new Civic here.

It's time to let this discussion settle down and get to its subject. Thanks.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    user1235,

You are great at bending the facts. But in your post #2373 you wrote that Consumer Reports rated the Mazda3: "Predicted Depreciation: Excellent".

Please stop making things up. The last time that CR made mention of that vehicle was in the Vehicle Profiles section on page 63 of their April 2005 issue. CR clearly and specifically wrote "Predicted Depreciation: NA". The prolog to that section, on page 40, states "NA" means data is not available. How can you either misread or misstate such straightforward data?
    I agree for the most part, though my frame of reference is a bit different. I came from a 2001 Explorer Sport that cornered like a 1975 panel van, so my Civic feels like a curve-hugging sports car in comparison.
    I do think the suspension feels good. We had a Passat several years back that was one of the better-handling cars I've driven, and the Civic measures up.
    I've got one of the Japan models as well, and I'm very impressed with fit and finish. I've found no flaws at all so far.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone seen an '06 Civic DX yet? In my visits to several dealers and checking out inventory online at several, I've not seen a single DX yet.

The VP was a decent seller in the previous model and made the DX bascially obsolete (except the VP was automatic only and DX could be had with manual). The new DX doesn't make a lot of sense unless someone is really trying to keep the price as low as possible. By the time you add A/C and stereo to a DX, you're only about $600 away from an LX.

Canada has a DX-G model in between the DX and LX. It cost $1,500 CDN more than a standard DX (and $2000 CDN less than the LX) and adds A/C, automatic power locks and keyless entry. Great value (it translates to $15,300 USD).

Interestingly, all the Canadian Civics including the DX have power mirrors and 4-speaker CD stereo.
  • mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    User 1235,

You list Consumer Reports' ratings for the "outgoing" civic (and at least one of those ratings has been proven wrong), yet your statement at the end of your message refers to wanting to inform the consumers about the "good and the bad" regarding the "new" model. I do not see how ratings for the "outgoing" civic and this statement about the new model correlate. Perhaps when Consumer Reports actually rates the "new" model, you will have a basis for your claims.
    Yes I misread that, indeed the pedicted deprication of the mazda 3 is N/A. But that doesn't change the fact that the predicated depreciation of the civic (outgoing model) is just good, which is the 3rd grade out of 5 possible grades in CU rating system. For example, BMW 3-series has excellent (highest grade) predicted depreciation, believe it or not.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're talking about the Civic here - I've suggested to you where you can continue these comparisons, but you can't do it here. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.