Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• I'd like to know a little about the security system that comes standard.

What is monitored? Trunk, hood? Glass breakage sensor? Motion sensor?

Will it lock the doors automically and arm itself when you exit the car - like the factory Honda alarm on my 95 Civic?

Siren - or does the horn and lights flash?

For those of you who have already bought an 06 Civic - I would apprecidate any extra info on this that might be in the owners manual.
  • yesrohyesroh Posts: 290
    I didn't care so much about noise until I drove my 1990 Civic Si from Spokane, Washington to Evansville, Indiana. At 72 miles an hour the engine and wind noise were deafening when you listened to them for 48 hours! After that I thought to myself...screw these small, economical cars! I need something more substantial! Lucky me...the next year Honda's car got a 'comfort' makeover and the Civic LX I bought, although no Rolls Royce, was just like butter in comparison. I still loved my Si for around-the-town jaunts. It was a blast to drive with its short gearing.
  • In brief, I'd like to know:
    1. Does anyone know any dealer anywhere that is selling '06 Civics below sticker?
    2. If not, how long will you guess it will be before dealers start discounting '06 Civics?
    3. Does anyone know of any dealer that is discounting '05 Civics to get them off the lot?

I have a dilemma.

One of the last '05 Civics to arrive in the state has my name on it. It's an LX manual. The dealer is willing to sell it near invoice: $14,785. I've contacted every dealer in the state and nobody else has an '05 Civic anymore. They sold out over Labor Day weekend with those cheap financing rates. The only Civics they're slated to receive now are '06's.

Yesterday a couple of new '06 Civics arrived. It looks like those are going to start trickling in. I drove an LX auto and I like the '06 LX much better than the '05. However, the dealer is asking the sticker price, something like $17,850. Yesterday two '06's arrived, and one of them sold the same day for the full sticker price.

This particular dealer will match any other dealer's written offer or advertised price. Does anyone know any dealer anywhere that is offering the new Civic for anything less than sticker price?

I need to decide quickly whether I'm going to
    1. buy the '05 for $14,785.
    2. buy one of the first '06's to hit the showroom
    3. buy nothing for a few months and bet that '06's will start selling at a discount in the near future
    4. Buy an '05 Corolla, which is the least appealing option, but there is $1,000 cash back, which makes it a little less than the '05 Civic and a lot less than the '06 Civic. I may opt to buy a Corolla if the '06 Civics continue to sell at sticker. There seem to be no '05 Civics left. '05 Corolla cash back offer ends at the end of September, and '05 Corollas are nearly impossible to find, now, too.

If it looks like the '06 Civics will take a year before they start discounting, I'm not willing to wait that long. I am willing to wait a couple of months, but I need to decide right away if I'm going to buy the '05 Civic because with the new Civics selling for $3,000 more, the '05 with my name on it will sell quickly if I call the dealership and tell them I've decided against buying the '05.

There is one more option: I can order an '06 Civic, which should arrive in a couple of months. If I can find a written offer or an advertised price below sticker before the car arrives, the dealer will match that price. If not, I'll have to pay sticker.

Ideas? Suggestions? Answers?
  • Has anyone got a price quote from a dealer? I'm in the Atlanta, GA area. I got a quote for $20,010. Is this a good price or should I try to go lower????????? :confuse:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,974
    I just checked the brochures that I picked up today. The Accord EX is about 400#s more than a 2006 Civic EX.

Also, a stiff structure allows for a softer suspension IIRC, since the body isn't flexing too.

In any case, the Civic seems to have a pretty good, although firm, ride, which is what I prefer. I drove a Camry recently and that thing was a marshmellow. Very quiet, but way too soft and floating (totally disconnected from the road). The Accord had much better road feel and handling, even though it was slightly noiser (but in no way noisy).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

which model? 5 speed, AT, nav?

If it is a non-nav AT, it looks to be about $400 over MSRP, so yes, you should try to get lower. THey are newly out, but pretty soon there will be a flood of them arriving daily (they make and sell a lot of Civics). THe only one I could see selling for a premium is the Si, but not the EX.

I shopped today, but did not get into negotiations.

• No shaking, etc over bums????

Wow you are wreckless. Next time try to avoid running over bums. ;)
    bums are usually pretty skinny so it's not much of a bump

• automatic w/ navagation. is the price good?
    Do either option #2 or #3. If you don't, you'll be looking at the '06 Civics for the entire time you drive your next car and sighing every time. A few more months won't hurt. I'd wait for the Civics to come down in price, and in the mean time, take the car you are currently driving and wash/wax/vacuum it. You'd be amazed how an old car seems new when it's cleaned! That's what I'm doing to my car right now...I have the new car bug and I'm trying to make it buzz off.
    Did you just level with the dealer and say,"Look, bud...I'm not buying a Civic for THAT MUCH money! Call me when the price is down to $$$$". Once the buzz is over for the '06 Civics that guy will know he/she has a sure sell! Just don't go with any other option but #2 or #3 because you'll be able to keep your next car for a long long time and you don't want to live with that.
    MSRP for an EX Navi AT is $21,110, so looks like you are getting $1,100 off sticker. SO, in the context of current activity, to me it looks like you are getting a good deal.

as to the other points, they will be shipping lots of Civics soon. IMO, it won't take long for discounting to become normal, especially since the Civic is on the high side price wise for the class (not that it isn't worth it though). Honda wants to sell a lot of these babies, so they will be keeping the pipeline to the dealers full.

• thanks for all the help about quietness. i agree with yesroh, that quietness only matters to me for highway trips. at 75mph or so, the noise drains my energy away after a few hours, so i wonder what the civic sounds like at that speed since i haven't really read anything on sound levels on the highway. sorry for talking this topic to death, but it's important for me if i'm going to plunk down so much money every month...

however, the focus weighs about as much as the 05 civic (maybe 100 lbs more?) but rides much more nicely with long travel suspension. i think maybe the stiffer ride of the civic is due to shorter travel suspension and tuned for 'euro feel'. steering-feel/quality wise, the 05 civic was way behind focus, though.

yeah, the camry's a boat when it comes to fun to drive, but the quiet sure is nice when all you want to do is get somewhere. i like fun to drive cars, too, and imho, the mazda 3 and focus were more fun to drive than the 05 civic, and somehow focus was better riding, too. too bad about the reliability. (hehe, always something missing, isn't there?)

looks like civic is best pkg so far

grr...canada always behind usa in release dates. :(
    Maybe some day a light, cheap active suspension will be available? I think the old Lincoln Mark 7's had them.
    Since we're talking about 'it's always something' I had to mention a small annoyance on my Accord Coupe. I think the styling is great and the windshield is very flat...in fact, it's so flat I feel like I'm sticking my face into it. I never thought this would bother me but from a driver's perspective, a more upright windshield, for me, feels better. I drove the 4-door Accord with a more upright windshield and I liked the feel better. I hope the new Civics with their flat windshields have pushed the windshield forward instead of pushing it back into the driver's face.

...it's always something!
  • I don't know if you guys have seen these pictures already, but they're worth a look anyway.

I'm not too fond of the Civic's new styling. The rear taillights ae ugly, and the dashboard layout is really strange.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HondaCivic/Photos.htm
  • been calling all dealerships they keep saying tommorow does anyone know for sure?
  • Where did you find the MSRP for the '06's? I've looked everywhere? Any invoices been seen out there?
  • hey, thx for the pictures, navigator89, those are the 'real life' shots that i need to see. i think that is one nice looking vehicle, inside and out.

oh, yeah, seeing those pictures reminds me why it's civic over accord for me: i don't like high dashboards like in the accord/mazda3. i prefer low dash (a la celica/NSX) so that i can pretend to be f1/race car driver, lol.
    Well, on the sticker for one! Actually, TOV has them all posted. Someone did post invoice also at one point, but not sure if it was accurate. IIRC, invocice on an EX 5 speed (sticker 18.8K) was about 17.2K.

Also, the interior and exterior look much better in person IMHO. Oictures don't really do it justice.

• sr45sr45 Posts: 144
    E-mailed my nearest Honda Internet sales department. Told them I would never pay MSRP, and would like them to get back with a price on a Hybrid or LX Civic...... Never received a response. That figures :confuse:
    They're too busy handling all the monkeys who WILL pay MSRP. Give them time...the flood of cash will drop and they'll need a buyer. I bet if you call them when the new Corolla comes out next year you'll get more attention. Try that tact.
  • I think the car is very nice, it addresses some major concerns the previous car did not. Anti lock brakes, side as well as front airbags standard throught the line up, and a one touch sunroof button for tilt and slide for the sunroof standard on the EX. I think Honda is trying to take the Civic upscale a notch, with the styling and pricing, the car is looking less like an economy car and more like a European sedan, all that is missing is the xenons, leather and heated seat options.

I am not saying this is a bad thing, but pricing for the Civic line up seems to have climbed above the $20,000 mark with dealers not interested in negotiating prices much. I believe this is not a reasonable area for a car that is supposed to appeal to entry level buyers. Why not then look at the Accord for tht matter? You trade a bit in mileage numbers but gain more in comfort and the ability to negotiate a better price, probably in the same range of the new Civic.

I have a 2004 civic coupe EX automatic with side airbags. I paid $16,300 for this vehicle brand new, including destination obviously without tax and registration. My dealer also extends the factory warranty covering the car to to 48 months on any new car purchased from them no charge. Don't expect this from every dealer, I actually traveled further for this because dealers closer would not match the warrranty extention , I do not see a huge difference in technology from my '04 to the '06, sure a bit more horsepower, but how much does that really knock off the 0-60 time? I truly believe this is the perfect time to pick up the leftover '05's at bargain prices. Sure, everyone wants the new sheetmetal, and those willing to pay the price for the new Civic will get more heads turning in trafic and more inquiries at the pumps about their new Civic. As for me, I'll keep my '04 Civic EX Coupe which averages 38 to 40 highway and 28 to 31 city for a few more years, then MAYBE consider looking at the "new" Civic. That will be the time you will see better ability to negotiate a sweet deal on a nice car that you will spend a few more years with until the next major redesign. Good luck in all your decisions.
  • I think I understand Honda's strategy in moving the Civic upscale. It's widely believed that Honda will soon bring over a sub-Civic model to compete with Scion. With a new model taking over the "entry-level" position from the Civic, that gives it a little wiggle room to move up the food chain a little. Personally, I don't find $21k for an EX with Nav that offensive. A lot of us are looking for an economical commuter with the amenities and comfort of a larger car, but without the size and weight (and consequently, fuel economy) penalty. I think the new Civic fits that to a T. At least that's what I see.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    the left over 2005s are obviously the best deal...

BUT....
    Most dealers are sold out of them, having sold them at large discounts during the "2005 Honda Clearance" (they're out of all 2005s, save for 2-3 Accords, 1 Value Package and 2 LXs)
  • sr45sr45 Posts: 144
    Update to my e-mail request on MSRP from the Honda internet site.... Stated, they would give me the EX automatic 06 model, $200 over invoice or $1,200 over invoice on a hybrid... Unknown if this is a bate or not... Will check into it Thursday
  • heck, forget next year! call them next week or so and youll get a much better deal..these civics are gonna start rolling in by the dozens at dealers, sooner rather than later theyll have more than they want and theyll start discounting them..just give it 2-3 weeks
  • what dealer told you $200 over invoice for a '06 EX (what town too)? anyone had any inquiries around Chicago on an '06 civic? if so let me know, thanks
    Just remember that the only thing you can do which is irrevocable is buy the car. Then you're stuck. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you haven't bought the car, you have the dealer working for you. They want to sell you something and they want you to buy it as much as you want to buy it. Don't agree to anything you don't want to agree to. There are always more Civics if they don't give you the price you want on a particular one. The ball is in your court until you buy.
  • does anyone in here know what the price is going to be on the 06 Si?
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Towards the bottom of the page opened by this link, you can find a tire size calculator which will show you the speedometer error resulting from upsizing your tire. I don't think you will significantly lower your RPM, but you will throw off your speedometer and odometer a lot and may well run into clearance issues.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html
  • Other than the obvious styling differences, how does the 2006 differ from the 2005? Any improvements in technology?
This discussion has been closed.