Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    you: The new civic city numbers are WORSE by 6%. (32 down to 30).

me: Fuel economy in the city is mainly a function of engine displacement. A larger displacement engine will use more fuel idling moving larger pistons - more surface area, more friciton. I have a 2.5 X-Type and a 5.7 L Firebird, and they get about the same highway mileage. In city driving the Firebird gets about 40% less mpg.
  • I heard on a site the new 2006 honda civic si takes premium gas?
    this true cause honda lost me there
    you: ...and have based our purchasing decision on quality vs. price - not perceived quality, per se, but build quality that can be seen by the naked eye, and decent mechanical quality.

me: build quality ?? # 1 ?? I like build quality, but that is more important if I'm buying a piece of furniture or clothing. A car has mechanical systems and it's all about driving, durability and performance - things related to kinetic motion. I wouldn't care how tight the seams are, if the car didn't handle and brake very well, or perform well in crashes. It also should start and run everyday, with a lose trim piece or such being relatively inconsequential. Build-quality should not come before functional/performance qualities, unless you buy a car mainly for the "art".
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    The 2006 Honda Civic Sedan, Honda Civic Coupe, and Honda Civic Hybrid all require REGULAR UNLEADED

The 2006 Honda Civic Si Performance Coupe requires PREMIUM UNLEADED due to its high performance engine.
  • Honda.....
    thought this was a car appealing to teenagers.....
    premium gas.. yeah what a waste
    dont have that kind of money to pay 20k then pay premium 91 octane gas prices
    ...i thought getting the honda would be better than the 2006 mustang v6 guess not atleast it runs on regular and has 210 hp. 2006 honda civic si= 22/31mpg
    2006 ford mustang v6 = 19/28 mpg and i dont have to pay extra.... pretty much same price too
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Here's something to ponder: (about Civics holding their value:

My 1999 Honda Civic, with no power windows, power mirrors, or power seats, or any creature comforts besides a CD Player, A/C, Power Locks, Remote Entry, and a Double Wishbone Suspension, is still worth about $6,000.

It's got 100,000 Miles (almost) and is in Average Condition.

Not bad.
    Conclusion? Don't buy a Used Civic. They retain their value far longer than a Ford Focus or Chevrolet Cavalier.

A New Civic (or new Accord, for that matter) will be the better deal than its 1,2,3, or even 4 year old variant.

If you can afford a clean, certified used Honda Accord (2002 EX models run for almost $16,000 in my area) you might as well a) buy a brand new 2005 Honda Civic LX, or b) stretch yourself and get a brand new 2005 Honda Accord LX or 2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition, or possibly even a 2005 Civic EX.
  • i know plenty of high performing cars that dont ask for premium gas, the ford mustang is one of them. the v6 and the v8 use regular and both will out-perform the 2006 honda civic si
    You're darn tooting right. For $6K (or a thousand more), looking at '99 vehicles, with some negotiating you could pick up a nice FWD Lincoln Continental, an STS, or Buick Park Avenue.

I'd buy Hondas and Toyotas new. Although lately I've seen Boston area dealers regularly selling used cars with less than 25 miles at thousands off. I'm surprised; are these people deciding against the purchase after a day. I can't believe they are demoing a car 20 miles and then selling it for $2K less. I'd think once they start a vehicle as a demo, you might as well have it as the demo for a few thousand miles. Why create 50 demos and not just 1 demo.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Well the Civic does and you are not going to save gas money buying a V6 or V8 Mustang even with cheaper gas, so it isn't an issue.
  • The car averages 24 miles a gallon. Has 265 horsepower and will smoke the SI.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I wonder if it requires premium or if premium is recommended for optimal performance. Many cars for which the manufacturer recommends premium run just fine on regular (computers adjust for it), although performance is reduced a bit.
  • Funny, I am also looking at Accord and TSX, but now this Civic is hard to overlook. It has the features I want (Navi, iPOD jack, great MPG) that I don't think I need to spend $6,000-$10,000 more.

M
  • I was wondering if the parts of the new 2006 si will fit in any previous civic model? For example; if the engine could be used on any other civic or other parts from the car as well. The reason is that around where I live civics get stolen all the time and that will determine if I get the car or not.
  • The car averages 24 miles a gallon. Has 265 horsepower and will smoke the SI.

Until you get to the first turn.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    It might require it, but why buy an Si if you don't want the added performance? I can understand Camry V6 and Avalon buyers putting in regular and not using all the available performance, but not Si buyers.
    I would just get an EX instead and get better mileage plus no need for premium.
  • I understand the many issues that effect fuel economy. If you read Honda's press release from a few weeks ago, you will read about the numerous improvments they made to the engine for fuel economy, yet the result is 6% less for city.

By contrast, the Corolla's engine is basically a carry over from the previous generation (2000 or 2001, I'm not sure). It is a 1.8L and is rated 2mpg higher city and 3mpg highway.

I'm just confused and disappointed with Honda blowing their horn about improvemnets with the engine fuel econ, yet it appears they really achieved the improvement in the auto trans because of gearing.
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    you: Buy a Ford or GM and it blows up after 60k

us: laughing!!!

..."build quality ?? # 1 ?? I like build quality, but that is more important if I'm buying a piece of furniture or clothing. A car has mechanical systems and it's all about driving, durability and performance"

Psssst...build quality is not simply body panels lining up, it's overall manufacturing within tighter tolorences subsequently adhering to advanced Quality guidelines.
  • Can someone update me on the expected street date of the new Civic sedan?
  • why fwd the scion tc has rwd and burnouts are cooler rwd
This discussion has been closed.