Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Watch out for its rear Double Wishbones. It doesn't have any.

So the ride comfort will suffer in order to keep similar level of handling.

& this is one reason why last week I had to buy an used '00 hatch in order to get the comfy DW suspension all around. Now w/ the linear-valving Gabriel Ultra struts installed instead of the progressive-valving OEM units, the car rides even comfier w/ a "firm & resilient", rather than "squishy then choppy" Japanese-style, Euro-like ride.

I need a super-short car b/c I am shipping it to a crowded city abroad. The older Civic is also narrow enough to evade Japan's "wide-car tax" w/ a width of under 170cm (5'7"). Being an owner of a comfy little car is something to be proud of!
  • the high dash keep you from seeing the hood and that area in front of the hood where you need to see unless you do not care if there a small child in front of you
    OK, you're not driving a rear-engine VW micro-bus. Experiment this:

Trim a piece of a big cardboard box & place it on top of the hood of an '06 Civic so it'll shape square-ish just like a Scion xB. You will still not be able to see the same small child in front of the bumper. :P

& I'm pretty sure the height of the dashboard does make a difference. So the best thing to do is avoiding the moonroof & get the LX so you can raise the driver seat all the way high in order to see that child's hair. ;)
  • playplay Posts: 38
    creakid1, I do believe you are on to something. Why not just put big boxes on each corner of the vehicle.

It's a win-win situation. Oh yeah, you could also attach little American flags, just like on the gas gulping, national defense threatening SUV's.

Whats not to like about that? ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Actually, the Civic has a very low cowl and dash compared to some competitors, e.g. the Corolla. The best way to avoid hitting someone is attentiveness while driving, to see them before they dash out in front of you. Once they are in front of you, close enough to be blocked from sight, you have no chance of avoiding them.
  • yesrohyesroh Posts: 290
    No! You get the moonroof, and then stick your head out of the car when you park.

Oh right...I forgot...I wasn't supposed to talk about this anymore...
  • Very nice thinking creakid1. Let's go a step further, and have the whole car made out of Nerf. Just think of the Advertisements:

No door dings! Play ball with part of your car's fender!

Wait, Saturn basically did that. Oh. never mind. You are right about the low hood thing. The argument that disappointed makes is not a vaild one. He complains about the low, rounded hood. This affects mainly how close he plans to park or scoot up behind someone in traffic. So what he is saying, best I can tell, is this.

He plans to stop for children dashing out in the road, but he won't know how much closer he can pull up to them before he stops to get out and scold them. Last time an object leapt into my path, I stopped well back from it. I guess I was being wasteful by not pulling right up to the cat before stopping. Is this true?

Sorry if my sarcasm isn't funny to ya, but in all honesty, it's not supposed to be. I am just restating what I think disappointed said. Anyone care to respond? I'm open to criticism!
  • I was amazed at the room in this car versus my 1996 Accord. It is slightly MORE roomy than my car. Very nice to me, since I am 6'5", 195 pounds. It had the sunroof (EX), and I had plenty of headroom. I couldn't say that of the 04 Civic I rode in. As far as the interior design goes, I was INCREDIBLY surprised for the better after seeing it in person. The wheel is nice and small, and could be adjusted for MY long torso to see all gauges properly. BRAVO, HONDA!!!
  • yesrohyesroh Posts: 290
    Light interior colors and lots of glass make the interior look larger than it really is. I doubt it's actually larger, considering the 1996 Accord is an inch wider, eight inches longer, and has more trunk space and a much larger engine in displacement. It's not likely you could fit more interior room into the Civic...but...you may be right. I just think the odds are against it. I suppose it's more important to think you have more room than to actually have more room, right? Comfort is all perception! Like I always say...I'd rather think I'm happy than to know I'm sad.

Did the windshield come up to your forehead?
    I really thought my car already hit the object. Thank God it didn't...

To be honest, I did (or about to) stick flag poles on both sides of my front bumper of all my cars except the old boxy '84 Jetta. I even place a little marker on the right rear corner of my trunk (just like an '91 S-class) if it doesn't have a rear spoiler. People are amazed how I perform especially in parking lots -- fewer backing up than anyone else!
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Don't forget to use a throwaway email address instead of your normal one. That will cut down on junk messages.
  • Really nice little car. No squeaks or rattles, smooth ride, nice shifting auto, but this car has no power compared to my 05 Accord EX V6 Coupe which gets 32 MPG on the hiway at the speed limit, and I would gladly pay the 8 MPG penalty to have the Accords performance. Trying to pass on a two lane hiway with the Civic is an exercise in terror, it takes too long. I will just keep what I have and be happy. 9.5 to sixty is just too slow in todays traffic. The Accord is almost 3 seconds quicker, and is well worth the extra fuel cost, and the better suspension and interior quality is worth the price of admission. This is, of course, my opinion, and others will probably see it differently, but then, this is a country where one has a choice.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    My wife and I just got back from Honda Corporate's Civic Live Guest Drive event at Randall's Island in NYC this morning. It was their second of two days. They are headed for five more cities here:

http://www.eshots.com/civiclive/drive.htm

It was a blast! We arrived at 9 AM and drove the 2006 EX ATX Sedan with Navigation, LX ATX Coupe and a pre-production Si 6-Speed MTX Coupe.... MULTIPLE TIMES around the twisties at the test track they had set up in a huge parking lot. Since there were only a few people there that early, we had plenty of opportunities to swap back and forth between any of the cars. They had a second track set up where we drove an Accord ATX Hybrid, Accord 6-Speed MTX Coupe and Ridgeline truck (That one was too mushy for me). They also had Elements and Odysseys available.

I was very impressed with the handling, features and quality of all of the Civics. They felt much like my 2004 Accord Coupe, and had many of its amenities.

If you are near any of the next five events, I'd recommend going. You must pre-register online.
  • Hi, all!

Those of you who have test-driven the new Civic, or maybe have seen the pictures, do the back seats fold completely flat, or not?

Thank you!
  • yes, it is a bottom hinged pedal and it is much more convenient to drive....
  • You could be right, yesroh. But in my car, I can't sit behind myself at all. In the Civic, all it took was a little squeezing. The windshield? Hmm, didn't pay a lot of attention to that, but the thing I noticed was how bent my knees were behind the wheel: Much less so that when I'm in my accord. My car IS wider, and you can feel that inside, but the length of the cabin is basically the same IMO. the trunk is much smaller than my accord though. I think that must be where the interior space was donated from.

BTW, the fact that the seat can be made higher meant more legroom for me. My LX accord (96) doesen't have any height adjustment to its seat, meaning I am on the ground all the time. If it would jack up three inches, I would be more comfy. I have plenty of headroom to do that, too!
  • sr45.......the price was 20, 099 (7.5% tax in nevada) out the door and the navigation one was exaclty a 1000 bucks extra.
  • The pedal is bottom hinged, but that just makes it different to me, not necessarily better. If i purchased one like that, it would be my first car that I had ever driven like so. May I ask why it's more "convienient"? Not challenging you, just curious!
  • Does anyone know anything about the security system that comes with these cars? Can someone who's already brought one - see if there is anything in their owners manual that gives details on what the security system covers?

I went down to my local Honda dealer this morning. Beaverton Honda (Portland Oregon suburb) loves to add "adjusted market value", in this case $595. They also installed what is likely an unnecessary optional security system for $695.

The window sticker clearly says "security system". I hope that's more than just the engine imobilizer.
    Full Size Sticker Photo Here

I always have an alarm on my car, but won't add one if the default security system is enough.

Steve
  • i didn't get a chance to test drive any car cuz they sold out in all dealerships in my area :-( when will the coupes get here i thought their was a 2 day release difference...
  • No info on their doc fee. Didn't see a mag metallic in their online inventory but give them a call as those web sites are never up to date. I tried to buy a car from them and they were a nice group, but couldn'tdecide what to do with my car. Elaine was very patient with me, more helpful then anyone I have ever met at a dealer.

Good luck!
  • Talked with the NJ dealership. All they had was a 2005 EX coupe. One dealer in Minneapolis said he had done a 5 state search for an 2005 EX sedan automatic and come up wanting. Best I've found so far was a 2005 EX sedan special edition with 4k someone traded in on a 2006 Civic. That was at Penske Honda in Indianapolis. Afraid the 2005 Civic EX sedan in an automatic has move from "endangered species" status to "extinct."
  • Steve, thank you for the pic of the sticker. What I find buffling is that the sticker states that 70% of the vehicle parts have Canadian/US origin, yet the final assembly was in Japan. What it says is that 70% of the parts were shipped from North America to Japan, then the vehicle was assembled there, and then shipped back to USA. Strange. Just think about the additional costs Honda sustained due to shipping back and forth

Moreover, the word was that the new Civic would be assembled in Ontario. Why is this one coming from Japan? A mystery
  • Hello..Steve... I have just purchased the LX auto last Monday. I too was confused about the security system, prior to the purchase, because the salesman said it did "not come with an alarm system. and said i need the 695.00 honda system.. . Anyway...I've got the owners manuel here and i'll type what it says:

SECURITY SYSTEM...
    ON US LX AND EX MODELS

THE SECURITY SYSTEM HELPS TO PROTECT YOUR VEHICLE AND VALUABLES FROM THEFT. THE HORN SOUNDS AND A COMBINATION OF HEADLIGHTS , PARKING LIGHTS, SIDE MARKER LIGHTS, AND TAIL LIGHTS FLASH IF SOMEONE ATTEMPTS TO BREAD INTO YOUR VEHICLE OR REMOVE THE RADIO. THIS ALARM CONTINUES FOR 2 MINUTES, THEN IT STOPS. TO RESET AN ALARMING SYSTEM BEFORE THE 2 MINUTES HAVE ELAPSED, UNLOCK THE DRIVERS DOOR WITH THE KEY OR THE REMOTE TRANSMITTER.
    THE SECURITY SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY SETS 15 SECS AFTER YOU LOCK THE DOORS, HOOD, AND TRUNK. FOR THE SYSTEM TO ACTIVATE, YOU MUST LOCK THE DOORS FROM THE OUTSIDE WITH THE KEY, DRIVERS LOCK TAB, DOOR LOCK SWITCH, OR REMOTE TRANSMITTER. THE SECURITY SYSTEM INDICATOR ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL STARTS BLINKING IMMEDIATELY TO SHOW YOU THE SYSTEM IS SETTING ITSELF. ONCE THE SECURITY SYSTEM IS SET, OPENING ANY DOOR, THE TRUNK, OR THE HOOD WITHOUT USING THE KEY OR THE REMOTE TRANSMITTER WILL CAUSE IT TO ALARM. IT ALSO ALARARMS IF THE RADIS REMOVED FROM THE DASHBOARD OR THE WIRING IS CUT.
    WITH THE SYTEM SET, YOU CAN STILL OPEN THE TRUNK WITH THE MASTER KEY OR THE REMOTE TRASMITTER WITHOUT TRIGGERING THE ALARM. THE ALARM WILL SOUND IF THE TRUNK LOCK IS FORCED, OR THE TRUNK IS OPENED WITH THE TRUNK RELEASE HANDLE.
    THE SECURITY SYSTEM WILL NOT SET IF THE HOOD, TRUNK, OR ANY DOOR IS NOT FULLY CLOSED. IF THE SYSTEM WILL NOT SET, CHECK THE DOOR AND TRUNK OPEN INDICATIORS ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL TO SEE IF THE DOORAS ARE FULLY CLOSED. SINCE IT IS NOT PART OF THE MINITOR DISPLAY, MANUELLY CHECK THE HOOD....

The major thing I see over paying the 700.00 for the full blown system, is that the more expensive unit has glass breakage detector.....I don't need such a full blown feature, since my car is in the garage, just need something to cover me for the hours I'm out shopping on the street....There our two red lights flashing in the car when the alarm is set..one next to radio, and a large red flashing light on the dash next to the speedometer...hope this helps...

I've been reading this forum and see how the 2006 civic is getting trashed by alot of folks.... My last car which I've owned for 19.5 years is the first generation acura integra with 315,000 miles on it. During these years, I've looked at more new cars that I can count. Looking for, reliability, mileage, and style..all within a reasonable price...well, when I saw this new car last week, that same feeling came over me, that I felt 20 years ago. If you have any other questions, let me know.
    PS>....just refilled the tank at 375 miles......there's still 2.5 gallons left in the 13 gallon tank..so I'm getting in the mid 30 mpg.....combination 75 percent freeway, 25 percent city driving......Bill
  • Thank you, thank you for taking the time to post that.

As I suspected, the optional security system is just a way for the dealer to make a profit.

Steve
  • Has anyone seen what the key looks like? I'm wondering if it is like the accord where the fob and key are together or if they are seperate. The less I have to put on my key chain the better. Oh, anything about operating the windows via the keyless entry remote? Thanks :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Yes, key and fob are together.

I didn't see any button on the remote for windows. Just lock/unlock and panic--not even a trunk opener (on the LX). :(
  • I know that with the accord's key you can hold down the unlock button to lower the windows to vent the car if needed. Just wondering if the civic had this feature. Yeah the trunk opener on the remote I guess is only available on the EX.
This discussion has been closed.