Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• oh, ok, thanks for the info.

in response to sightings:
    I have only seen a silver EX sedan in motion. It was a dealer plate on test drive and it does look good from the back, a bit tall maybe, but interesting curves and creases. I wonder what the 'best' color for the Civic will be...ok, ok, depends on the person.
  • No, it wouldn't be that the engine bogged down, just to maintain 75-80 going up a significant incline on the highway would require a shift down to 4th.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    And people who have the even the slightest concern about fuel economy would drive 80MPH up a significant incline?
  • Yes, on the interstate sure. Driving 75-80 doesn't mean I don't want to get the best fuel economy I can at those speeds.
  • I saw a black LX sedan pulling out of a gas station in Princeton NJ yesterday. The driver was atleast 70 years old - which made me smile since this models targer consumer is much younger. .
  • in Vancouver, BC yet. And Canadians buy a lot of Civics - I believe I've read it's Canada's best selling vehicle.

So, who wants to tell us if the turn signal in a new Civic is orange or red? I like orange better, as it is much more visible, and can save you from being rear-ended.

Also, if someone could post pictures of the interior, especially of folded back seats, it would be most appreciated! Thank you
  • It's red on the one I saw at the dealer. Lame. :(
  • nsa350nsa350 Posts: 3
    Just purchased and picked it up. A day later I am noticing a small tear and peel of the black sealant arount the driver's side door window. If you are familiar with the part that I am explaining, could you know offer some suggestions on how to mend this.
    The car is silver but around all the door windows it is outlined in that black sealant (not sure what to call it).
    Thanks.
  • I have an '06 EX auto and was wondering something. When I'm in reverse
    or sometimes in drive and stop on an incline, the car will roll down
    the hill. Is this normal? I've never had an auto roll when in gear
    before. Otherwise, the car is SWEET!
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • bigal3bigal3 Posts: 107
    Is it the black strip which the edge of the glass window will slide into when the window is closed? It is a new car under warranty. For me, I will take it back to the dealer & make them fix it (free of charge, of course).
  • That's normal. Honda's with ATs are like that.
    I thought the auto trans design for Honda uses "lock-up convertor" which will prevent the car from slipping backwards once it is put on "drive".....but I can be wrong.

For the auto trans in my BMW3 & E320, those cars will stay & will not roll backwards on an incline even if I release the brakes or hand brakes.

My new 2006 EX coupe is a 5 speed manual, I have to use hand-brake when I "stop & go" on an incline.
  • nsa350nsa350 Posts: 3
    Thanks bigal3... The tear is actually on the outside edge of the door...so if I was to open the door and run my fingers along the outside edge of the door itself I would eventually come to the tear and actually feel it. Its more of an eyesore than anything else. It seems to be more auto-body related and I was hoping there is some sort of tape or glue out there that can mend it. Do you still think the dealership will fix it free of charge?
  • Seriously? Partially engaging the clutch is not enough? This MT sounds worse and worse. I can't imagine the pain of having to engage the hand brake on an incline every time.
  • we have a 2005 civic ex se that had a tear on the weather seal molding around the edge of the driver's side door that was replaced under warranty with no problem. the car had over 17,000 miles on it when it was done.
    Oh, you mean the rubber strip which seal the edge of the door when you close the door?

Hey, it is a brand new car & it is under factory warranty. The dealer should replace the rubber strip for you (free of charge) if there is any defects. Even if it is accidently damaged or torned under reasonable conditions, I think the dealer will still replace it for free.

2 years ago, I accidently torn the rubber strip which seal the edge of the car trunk when I pull a heavy box from the trunk. The car was under warranty & the dealer replace it for free (the dealer got paid by the manufacturer for replacing parts under warranty).

Worse come to worse, if you happened to buy the car from a nasty dealer & they refuse to replace it for free, you can just say no & drive the car away. You have nothing to lose anyway.
    When I have to stop & pause on a slope (incline), I always use my hand-brakes.

I don't want to over-heat or wear out the clutch pre-maturely by partially engaging the clutch on a slope. Beside, you will also burn up more gas & your legs have to partially engaging the clutch as well as the accelerator for the whole length of time when you pause.

When I use the hand-brake, I just pull the hand-brake once & it will lock itself in position. The engine can idle and my legs & hand can relax for the whole length of time when the car stop or pause.

When it is time to go again, I just release the hand-brakes slowly. There is nothing to it.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    You said:

Seriously? Partially engaging the clutch is not enough? This MT sounds worse and worse. I can't imagine the pain of having to engage the hand brake on an incline every time.

We used to call that feathering the clutch, and it really wears out the clutch fast. Using the handbrake technique is much better.
  • I think the old Toyotas have a lock-up convertor. Not sure about the new ones, but I remember my 92 Corolla doesn't move backward on uphills and forward on downhills. My 97 Civic, and all of my friends' Hondas behave the same way as your new Civic does so don't worry about it. Although this behavior can damage the transmission in some way, it's normal in a Honda. I guess that's why some cars are equipped with a lock-up convertor.
  • There's no need for gas, just bring up the clutch partially and stay on the brake. When you're ready to go, gas and clutch release. This is still bad for the clutch? Didn't really know that. I'm a new driver and that's how I was taught to do it.

Either way I gather it doesn't work on the Civic anyway?
  • I imagine you must partially engage clutch & gas before releasing the handbrake? Else how do you prevent rollback?
  • Yes, you have to release the clutch and press the gas until you feel the car start to pull a little, then release the handbrake. Eventually, you'll learn how gradually release the clutch and gradually release the handbrake simultaneously. I learned on my '85 CRX. It is a skill that takes a bit to master, but you'll get many more miles out of your clutch. And with today's clutch prices, you want it to last every miles it can.
  • rl81rl81 Posts: 53
    Well there are two methods in "the book" on how to start the car in an incline:

1. you hold the car in place with the handbrake, then when you want to start again, you'd slightly release the handbrake and at the same time release the clutch and the car will move forward without rolling backwards if you time it right.

2. you have your right foot on the brake while you hold your car in place, the when you want to start the car again, you'll release the clutch a little bit so that it has some friction and move your right foot over to the accelerator before the car rolls back.

Method 2 is harder to execute properly because you have to be way faster, but if you do it right, then you won't have any excessive wear on the clutch. I personally can do it without the handbrake and find method 2 more elegant, so that's what I mostly do. Executed correctly, both are fine...
  • ezpilzeezpilze Posts: 29
    Well, I hear alot of people telling you to use the handbrake for inclines. I live in SF so believe me, I know about inclines. The handbrake isn't a must, if you can get the timing right and practice a little foot work. Most race car drivers slant their foot so that the heel is on the brake while the other half of the foot is on the gas. If you can release the clutch at the right timing and control your foot properly you can go w/o incline. I still use the handbrake method cuz I havent perfected this method yet(I still hold the brake somewhat while gasing). The handbrake method is good, but be warned alot of people are saying "till you feel the car go" this works on light and moderately steep hills. Thats especially if you have a heavy car, but the civic shouldnt show much a problem here. The easier way is to watch your rpm will you release the clutch. Keep it at the 1000 mark, then release your e-brake, clutch, and gas it all at once like normal.
    If you are using hand-brake to stop/pause on a slope, your hand/feet coordination (to release hand-brake, engage clutch & gas pedal) timing comes quite naturally after you have prasticed for a number of times. You do not have to worry about prevent rollback.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Yes, most Honda automatics are not going to hold you on any significant incline without your foot on the brake. It has to do with the stall speed in the torque converter, and the idle speed of the engine - the one is relatively high, the other relatively low.

As for the lockup feature in the torque converter, of course Honda uses this, as does just about every other manufacturer these days, but the lockup feature doesn't activate until the car hits cruising speed, with the throttle lightly feathered, usually only the the top one, or sometimes two, gears. I have heard that MB's new seven-spd automatic has the lockup in the top 4 gears, but again, only at a steady throttle with a light accelerator application. In any case, this feature is completely out of the picture at idle on an incline.
  • On my 06 coupe 5-speed, I'm surprised and very happy to report my second tank avg. was right at 38 mpg. (380 miles, 9.98 gal at auto pump shutoff) First tank was 33.8.

Some of this may be due to the first dealer tank being filled less, but I don't see how, because I stop at auto shutoff. The next couple of tanks will tell more.

My commute is about 78 miles a day, w/ about 13 miles city.

To test for the best poissible mpg, my driving was conservative -- most in-town shifts at 2500 rpm or lower, and an effort to use 5th gear at 40 mph or more.

But this tank included my son driving for 5-6 miles and higher-rev starts and shifting, and me doing several shifts at 4,000-5,000 rpm for the first time. Acceleration is very comparable to my former V6 Eclipse, but I don't feel bad like I'm burning a ton of gas.

I'm pretty sure the manual doesn't address break-in, but Honda Owner Link says: "Help assure your vehicle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 kilometers). During this period: Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken in by moderate use for the first 200 miles (300 km)."

Can you elaborate on the clutch being "unusual"?

When I first test drove a sedan 5-speed, I found the clutch to be almost so light it was as if the pedal wasn't attached to anything. My kids' car is a 94 Sentra 5-speed, which lately has been requiring more clutch pressure. But I've adapted to the Honda very well and really like it.

Regarding MT vs AT gearing, from Honda Owner Link:

Transmissions
    5-Speed Manual Transmission Gear Ratios
    1st: 3.143
    2nd: 1.870
    3rd: 1.235
    4th: 0.949
    5th: 0.727
    Reverse: 3.308
    Final Drive: 4.290

Compact 5-Speed Automatic Transmission Gear Ratios (available)
    1st: 2.666
    2nd: 1.534
    3rd: 1.022
    4th: 0.721
    5th: 0.525
    Reverse: 1.957
    Final Drive: 4.440
  • Actually, I guess the CVT is not a 5-speed, but most Civics are not equipped with CVTs.

Anyway, I've noticed many posts on which folks here have tried to specify their transmission type by saying, "I have a 5-speed." Huh? :confuse: Since both manual and automatic transmissions are 5-speeds, this is probably not the best way to describe the type of transmission you have - unless perhaps, you're referring to a previous-generation Civic. :-)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,287
    normally that means they have a manual tranny. people with automatics just say the have the auto.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

This discussion has been closed.