Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• yesrohyesroh Posts: 290
    Aerodynamics.
    At 30 miles an hour on a bicycle about 95% of your power is used to push wind out of the way. The bicycles that set the world speed records weigh more than twice as much as Lance Armstrong's Tour de France bicycles, but have about half the drag. You put a fairing on the bicycle...a cover, shaped like a bullet and you will dramatically increase your top speed and cruising speed. Even a recumbent bicycle, which is a bicycle where you recline as in an easy chair, is fastest than most Tour de France bicycles even without a fairing because the rider sits about a foot or two lower to the ground and has less air drag. It's also safer and more comfortable...but heavier. It would be slower on the hills but most people don't climb hills all the time.
    Check out this site:
    http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2001/resultsSaturday.htm

The top speed of the average sprinter in the Tour de France is probably about 40-42 miles an hour and the world record right now for a bicycle is 81 miles an hour. It's all aerodynamics.
    Of course, the world record bikes you see on that site would not be practical for everyday use but you can have a partial fairing which can have a huge effect on speed and still allow you to reach in excess of 60 miles an hour. This is just top speed though...the world record for an hour is over 50 miles on a bicycle.
    Right now my bicycle is $3600 and a good recumbent would probably cost about $2,000. I'm unemployed and not making a lot of money. And I'm not the best bike handler in the world so I'm afraid if I ride a recumbent bike most of the time, I'll feel squirrely on a high-sitting normal bicycle.
    No...
    My old Civic had 12.4 cubic feet of trunk space. If I took both wheels off it would fit with room to spare, and if I folded down the seat I could do it with just the front wheel off. I prefer the seats up because it keeps all that grease and mess out of the nice interior of the car.
  • It might, until you apply some real world based logic and a basic understanding of the physics involved.

The AUTO when locked into overdrive is just as efficient as a manual. Its extra weight makes very little difference when cruising (a little extra friction in the tires and wheel bearings). Plus, at highway speeds, the biggest losses occur to wind resistance, so unless you somehow reduce the coefficient of drag on the manual civic, you'd be lucky to see 41 mpg in the EPA tests with the taller gearing.
    We'll see...most people don't drive anywhere near the speed limit or anywhere near the speeds used to figure EPA gas mileage and then they complain. Duh...I saw an article in one of the big car magazines back in 2001 where they drove the Honda Insight (a hybrid) and got well over 100 miles per gallon because they tried. I seem to remember them getting somewhere between 110 and 130 mpg.
    I'd have to test a hybrid myself. I don't trust American drivers. From my experience most of them are jerks and have no regard for traffic laws and that's why I'm laughing and laughing about all these people complaining about gas prices. I don't trust their gas mileage figures.

Sorry...a small emotional outburst there...the drivers in Evansville, Indiana are the worst.
  • I didn't say it couldn't be done by one driver in ideal conditions driving like a granny.

What I was saying is that Honda could not have increased the Civic's EPA highway number to the upper 40's without dramatic improvements to the coefficient of drag or reducing the size of the vehicle. Or reducing the size of the engine. Or some other drastic measure. Taller gearing in the manual won't have that dramatic of an effect. It will help, but not by that much. A manual is not much more efficient than an automatic at HIGHWAY driving, even if the gearing is the same, because modern automatics lock out the torque converter and behave very much like a manual when in this mode with a directly coupled connection.

I just get tired of hearing peoples uninformed Wild [non-permissible content removed] Guesses on these forums.

Plus, your calculations are way off. Every civic that I've driven has had a "fast" speedometer by about 5%, meaning that you didn't get your calculated fuel mileage. Plus, the biggest thing I've seen people do to improve their calculated mpgs is to round up the miles and round down the fuel before doing the divide. You didn't do that, did you ;)

I agree that the auto industry could do more to increase efficiency. But you have to understand that all of the low hanging fruit has been picked. There isn't an affordable, magic bullet that will improve efficiency by 20%. There are expensive solutions which will yield in the 5-10% range according to an article I read in EE Times. After that, you have to give up something to get more efficiency -- meaining weight, power, profile, and coefficient of drag.
    I achieved 40+ mpg on a regular basis with my LX. That 42mpg was combined driving...one year in Spokane, Washington, with snow. I was annoyingly accurate...unfortunately it's a bad trait of mine. I don't like rounding off much. I also don't baby a car...I use the power when I have to and when I don't, I don't.
    I think tall gearing would make a big difference and let me tell you why. My first car was a Honda Civic hatch with a 4-speed manual tranny and the Civic CRX HF used the same exact engine, but with a 5-speed manual. The Civic was rated 37/43 and the CRX was 49/54. It had to be the taller gearing. The CRX was lower and 100 pounds lighter but that can't account for a 11mpg jump in mpg.

I just thought of a magic bullet. What about the IMA system that's used in the Accord Hybrid and in the Honda Odyssey? It shuts off half the cylinders under low-load conditions. Why can't Honda use this on their Civics? It improved highway mileage by 12% on the Odyssey. If you apply this to the 40mpg of the Civic you'd be in the 44mpg range. Will it work on a 4-cylinder? I read somewhere that the new Civic Hybrids would use this system but I haven't seen any confirmation of this.
    Another way the auto industry could reduce fuel consumption is by getting rid of some of the sound deadening and putting more efficient mufflers and headers and so-forth. I'm saying this in general terms, okay, but what I'm trying to say in big-picture is some of the things which make a car quiet and refined will also rob it of power. Free-flow mufflers will give an engine more power, but will make it louder. Sound deadening will add weight. Lower rolling resistance tires (like on the new Civic Hybrid) have been reported to be louder. The larger wheels on the new Civics are likely heavier. A 16-inch wheel has 51% more material than a 13 inch wheel of the same width. A 13 inch wheel would look funny on a car these days, but a 16 incher is overkill if you want lighter weight.
    Calm down...breathe...it's only a car. No need to be angry. :)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    you are thinking of VCM, not IMA, which is the electric motor assist. VCM would be great, but I am not sure two cylinders by themselves could push much of anything at any speed - I bet if they executed it in the Civic, it would almost never operate. As it is, it doesn't operate very much in the Odyssey except during smooth flat highway cruising because of that model's high weight.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I drove an EX sedan, and had enough headroom. (Did you adjust the seat down?) These is a lever on the side of the seat for this. It may be because of this that you couldnt fit
  • Try over-inflating your tires a few PSI - it'll work, and the tires can handle it.
  • The seat was all the way down, yes. At the point where the seat was reclined, which is about where I had the LX, my head clearance was less than an inch; with the LX I had a good two inches without reclining too much.
  • trying to track down an ETA on that. Thanks for the reminder.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

It only takes about 20-30 hp to go 60+ mph, maybe less. Maybe they could shut off only one cylinder if this is a problem. It may not be used much on the Odyssey but it improved EPA numbers by 3mpg highway (that's 12%) and 1mpg city (5%) and that's pretty good, especially if you would apply that to the 30/40 mpg for the Civic.
    The cheaper Odysseys get 19/25, and the one with the VCM get 20/28. The only difference I see between the two models is the VCM and subsystems that go with it. It's only for low-load operation, yes, but it looks to be very effective.
  • Hmm. Maybe I'm longer legged than in the torso? :-)
  • I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern will be same as the Type S's
    5x114
    But can anyone confirm this for the 06 Si?
  • sms92sms92 Posts: 13
    Has anyone heard when/if the civics will get vehicle stability assist - - maybe 2007 or 2008? Perhaps there is something about this on that mysterious honda chat transcript. Is vehicle stability assist now on many small, economy sized cars? I live in Chicago so this is an important feature to me and I hate to buy this year only to have honda offer it as an option in a year or so (I believe this year VSA became standard on the Accord).

Any opinions?
  • obie2obie2 Posts: 20
    So far I have one written offer for $100 under invoice in L A area. (are they starting to crack?) Has anyone heard of anything lower in this area. Thanks, Matt
  • No one has cracked around here yet (NYC metro area and suburbs). However, I don't think it will be long. They are tyring to fleece everyone and it's a joke. I bought a civic a few years ago from a local dealer, paid more than I had to because I appreciated the experience, had full services as scheduled..........and now, when I ask them for a little off invoice, they don't return my email. That just goes to show you. Extreme greed!! Don't give in.
  • My step-dad got an offer of $400 off a white Civic EX Sedan. He loved it, but ended up going with a silver '05 Accord LX sitting next to it. The Civic would have been $19,200 +ttt and the Accord was $18,650.
  • sr45sr45 Posts: 144
    Agree with mcap56.... Show them who's boss.....Not going to happen for awhile. Too many fools running around, thinking the civic is the best thing since apple pie. Its only a car for goodness sakes.... Wait awhile and the price will come down. It will come down faster if the fools would just hold off for a month or so.
This discussion has been closed.