Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW M3 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I would say it is the gear oil - but not a lack of oil. In the morning, the oil has settled to the bottom of the case and it's cold/thick. Once it's stirred up into the gears and warm, your noise goes away.

I wouldn't expect the noise to be that severe sounding though....
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,018
    LSDs are sometimes noisy when cold; it's the nature of the beast.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• A friend told me the whinning noise coming from the back when I'm cruising at ~ 80 MPH on the cruise control is my rear diff and it shouldn't do that. The sound is normally not there when I drive on the street or when I punch it.

He suggested I change the fluid and see if the noise goes away, otherwise, I might have a lose pinion. Anyone else has or had this problem. I always thought that it was a normal common sound.

My M3 now is 01 Manual with 88K. Any thoughts?
  • If it were a loose pinion you'd be on the side of the road calling for a tow truck. But, if it were worn teeth on the ring and pinion interface, you could test that by letting off the gas---the noise should dissipate considerably on let-off. If the noise remains the same whether you let off or press on the gas, I'd suspect the tires. Look for "feathering"---that typically causes a high pitch whine.
  • From what I remembered, the noise does go away if I let off on the gas as the mph goes down. If it is worn teeth, is it something that will need immediate attention or can I still drive it reliably for miles to come as long as I don't track it? Will putting new gear oil make any difference to help maintain it a little longer?

I will double check the noise the next time I drive it on the highway since is my occasional weekend car.

Thanks

Have a happy holiday to you and everyone on this site.
  • If it's only rough gear-surfaces, that can last forever. And yes, putting in new gear oil, or perhaps a synthetic that is compatible with BMW specs, would help. A gear oil change would also allow you to inspect the fluid for excessive amounts of mettalic debris. That would be a bad sign.

VISITING HOST
  • I'm looking to purchase an 04 M3 convertible with 77,495 miles for $18k and since I'm new to the high performance side of the automotive industry can anyone share a few pointers about the maintenance costs for it? Is there a warranty program available for pre owned BMW's that are not purchased from a BMW dealer but from a standard used car dealer. Also if there are other things that I must know because my mom wouldn't let me drive her X5 at all :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    M.DeMarco
  • Mad,

I purchased a 2000 M Roadster and learned a few things -- enumerated below:

1) Do a thorough search in the forums to find out the idiosyncracies of the model
    2) Get all the records -- that sort of car should be in the BMW records for service
    3) You'll probably need shocks (I didn't realize that until I hit 88K (bought it with 79 K)) so do a check on likely repairs needed for that mileage vehicle -- a BMW service department should be able to tell you what is typically replaced/repaired and when.
    4) Find a way to check to see if the vehicle has been tracked (usually if you can check weld to see if they are sound is one way -- ask on the forums (including Bimmerfest)
    5) You probably cannot get a OEM warranty -- either too old or too many miles
    6) eye ball the vehicle with a trusted mechanic or knowledgeable friend -- after you've done your homework.
    7) It's a convertible -- check the top carefully -- need to make sure that both the fabric and the mechanism is in good shape.

I had to put some $$$ into mine but I love it -- that M roadster model is only one of about 15 K world wide :)

I have a friend with a performance car (Porsche 911) and he said his friends (with similar vehicles) say that you need to be prepared to put in about $1,000 a year into the beast (that is besides normal care and maintenance.

Hope this helps

Ken
  • Thanks for the info. Do you know if the clutch is smooth on the m3s. I haven't been behind the wheel of a standard in 8 months and I'm a little rusty. My friend is a pro at it and is willing to give me a refresher course but I've never driven a BMW that wasn't auto. I'm hoping its not too rough on me :P
  • Clutch and shifter on mine is great -- I think much of it has to do with your getting the feel of the clutch, the gripping point and how the clutch engages. I do my best to make my shifts accurate -- still haven't hit 0- 60 in 5.2 secs -- have come close though :)
  • frednwilmafrednwilma Posts: 2
    I own an '01 5 series and I'm considering making the jump to a car that has more than one purpose. This '04 M3 Convertible has about 60k in mileage, SMG, Nav, 19" rims etc., lots of bells & whistles but no HK sound system...go figure!

After reading a number of posts, I know what the upside and fun part is, it's the downside I'm concerned about. With the car being 7 yrs old, what kind of repairs and bills can I come to expect from this vehicle? I'd be the 3rd owner and no records from the auto store. SMG -- is it a good thing or a bad thing? In 2004, was this BMW's first edition of the SMG?

Another concern is how hot black interior will get? My car now is black w/ tan interior and the black exterior can't be touched w/o burning your skin on hot days, does the same hold true for blk interior?

On a vehicle that I have no history with, a warranty sure would be nice. Does anyone know where I can buy one on this 7 yr. exclusive vehicle?

Lastly, any other thread or blog that would have pertinant info would be gr8!

Thanks for any advise and guidance...the more the better.
  • frednwilmafrednwilma Posts: 2
    I own an '01 5 series and I'm considering making the jump to a car that has more than one purpose. This '04 M3 Convertible has about 60k in mileage, SMG, Nav, 19" rims etc., lots of bells & whistles but no HK sound system...go figure!

After reading a number of posts, I know what the upside and fun part is, it's the downside I'm concerned about. With the car being 7 yrs old, what kind of repairs and bills can I come to expect from this vehicle? I'd be the 3rd owner and no records from the auto store. SMG -- is it a good thing or a bad thing? In 2004, was this BMW's first edition of the SMG?

Another concern is how hot black interior will get? My car now is black w/ tan interior and the black exterior can't be touched w/o burning your skin on hot days, does the same hold true for blk interior?

On a vehicle that I have no history with, a warranty sure would be nice. Does anyone know where I can buy one on this 7 yr. exclusive vehicle?

Lastly, any other thread or blog that would have pertinant info would be gr8!

Thanks for any advise and guidance...the more the better.
  • cnk79cnk79 Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 1997 M3. Can you answer a few questions.

I do not have an owners manual, what is the ASC button?

How do I know what type of M3 I have? I have seen things like E36 and 46, what do I have? It is a 4 door.

Is there anything I need to know about this car like what problems they might have, what oil do I need to use, ect........?

Thank you in advance for your answers. By the way....I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,018
    edited May 2010
    what is the ASC button?

Traction/stability control

what do I have? It is a 4 door.

The 1995-1999 M3 is built on the E36 platform.

Is there anything I need to know about this car like what problems they might have, what oil do I need to use, etc........?

Keep an eye on the cooling system; you'll need to replace the radiator/t-stat/water pump in the 60K-100K mileage range. Use ONLY BMW coolant; change it every 2-3 years.
    Oil: BMW Synthetic 5W-30, Castrol Syntec 0W-30, Mobil 1 0W-40.
    Change the brake fluid every 1-2 years with a DOT 4 fluid.
    DON'T over rev the engine! It's extremely easy to bend a valve or two.
    Window regulators can fail; a cheap and easy DIY fix.
    Join the BMW Car Club of America; you'll get discounts on parts and labor from many dealers and independent shops.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• My 99 M3 has Hamann badging including the steering wheel. What does this mean for this model? I understand about Hamann Motorsports but what is significant and was it a special order?
    Thanks,]
    Mik
  • What is the differences between the E36 and E 46 platform and why did BMW do a midyear model change so there are two 99 models?
    Thanks!
  • You can buy Hamann badging on eBay. I would think you'd know if you had a real Hamann M3 as you would have 350HP and be able to go 170 mph. So you tell us! ;)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    The sedan always gets updated first, then the coupe, vert, and M follow the next year.
  • roadbunner, just read your email.
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I never checked back because I figure no one would write back, but thanks again.
    I hardly drive the car, it's a shame. It's a 2008 M3 with only 15,000 miles.
    But in regards to your comment, why would it happen only with sharp RIGHT turns in the morning or when cold?
    To be honest, I am not sure what is the function of LSD.
    The warranty will expire soon, so I am worried if I have a problem I want to resolve soon.
    Well, if you have a moment to spare, I would appreciate your insight again. Thanks again.