Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Insurance and NJ No-Point Ticket option



  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,289
    Personally, I'd try & get the ticket thrown out or downgraded based on the officer's errors. First, he didn't get the right address from your license and second he mis-reported the speed on the ticket. That he made more than one error demonstrates that the officer didn't appear to be providing an acceptable level of competence. That he inflated the speed by more than 10% IMO shows intentional ill-will/malicious intent; I can't see any circumstance in which his radar gun would be that far off.

    Let us know how it turns out.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 18,460
    I'd tread real lightly here. You can obtain that information and bring with you, but I would NOT start "fighting" anything unless backed into a corner. By just showing up and pleading not guilty, they are going to offer you an alternative. If you go in there on the offensive, you may just piss folks off and they will be much less willing to give you any kind of break. You may just be digging your own grave showing them you have other proof that you were, in fact, speeding through.

    '14 CTS Vsport; '15 Fit LX 6-spd; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited

  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,163
    I would agree with that, especially since one of the things the prosecutor will do is make sure the deal is OK with the cop who wrote the ticket. Even if the cop is a hard [non-permissible content removed] he'll usually sign off on it since the prosecutor is womeone he has to deal with all the time. The court itself just wants the money.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • actgactg Posts: 1
    One suggestion: if the prosecutor does not give you the deal you want, plead not guilty and and tell the prosecutor you want to ask the judge to reschedule your court date "to give you time to investigate your case and obtain legal representation." Judges seem to grant this as a matter of course, and this way you can hire the lawyer only if you need to. Just make sure you don't say anything incriminating to the prosecutor.
  • mach_sixmach_six Posts: 7
    edited January 2012
    NJ has the 3 strikes rule where they will let you off with no points tickets 3 times. After that it's pretty much nothing you can do except a lawyer to lower the points perhaps.

    If this is your first in over 10 years, plead not guilty and just be real with them. I know they're lenient on non repeat offenders but it depends on the judges too so it's a gamble.

    I got a ticket in East Hanover and I could have just make some BS since it was my first ticket in over 10 years of driving because teh judge was lenient with the toher cases before mine and through some out. The other ticket I got in Clifton, the prosecutor just no point because I am still under the 3 tickets. I didn't even have to argue then but I had to with teh one in East Hanover but I wasn't talking to the prosecutor directly but to another cop or someone when I was making my plea.

    To play it safe, I'd just take teh no points tickets and pay the extra. It'll probably end up cost you $500. It's really just another tax levied on us...
  • wnfe7twnfe7t Posts: 4
    Just to update, I was able to push off the court date to the end of February, so that's at least some good news. Going to go without a lawyer and hope the prosecutor has a good deal. If not, I plan to take the advice of actg and ask the judge to reschedule the date so I can gather evidence and get an attorney.

    I'll update again afterward. Thanks!
  • lms1220lms1220 Posts: 1
    I got a ticket on Wednesday on the turnpike. The state police officer said I was going 91 in a 65, but because I slowed down once he got behind me he wrote 79 in a 65 on the ticket. I have a NY license, currently attending school in Maryland, 2.5 hours away from where the ticket was issued (Mt. Laurel). Ive read that the points do not transfer to my NY license, but I don't want my insurance to increase. Would it be better for me to plead guilty and pay or to go to court and try to fight for a 0 point violation? And if I do go to court, what are the chances that I will be offered a 0 point but higher fine plea?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 18,460
    If the points don't transfer, your insurance won't go up.

    '14 CTS Vsport; '15 Fit LX 6-spd; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited

  • do I need to let them know of any traffic violations when they ask for them if I didn't incur any points? I was cited for using a handheld device (complete BS, btw) and failure to stay right early this year. The cell phone violation didn't come with points but the ticket for failure to stay right did. I managed to get the 2 point penalty reduced to 0 after negotiating a plea with the prosecutor (albeit at a hefty price). It would seem logical that I wouldn't have to report it since the whole point of paying a couple hundred bucks in court to have the points taken away is to not have it affect your insurance, but I can't say for sure. These online quotes don't give you any kind of option to report a moving violation that you didn't incur points on, so it assumes that any ticket that normally comes with a point penalty was indeed assessed and gets reflected in the quote you recieve.

    I suppose what I'm asking is if it's okay to shop around for quotes under the pretense of having a 5 year good driver discount if none of my tickets hurt me point wise? I know insurance companies double check on this kind of thing anyway, I just want to be prepared when talking to different agents when I'm ready to settle on a plan. FWIW, I live in New Jersey.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 18,460
    They only care about points. So as long as the end result was no points, you are good to go.

    '14 CTS Vsport; '15 Fit LX 6-spd; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited

  • I have a court date for a accident in october 2012 and thinking whether to go to court and talk to prosecutor for point reduction or simply pay as guilty over phone. I got careless driving 2 pointer ticket.

    My driving history is not that good, though my latest Driver history shows only 2 points
    from 6 incidents in last 5 years after twice 2 pointer credits "POINT CREDIT -ANNUAL SAFE DRIVING".
    Generally, If I am guilty , I go to court and ask the prosecutor to reduce the points for extra fine. Rarely, prosecutor says no to this except only once saying some thing which I didn't understand. He Said some thing like " If you get 3 times break or 3 times in 5 years you will lose your driver license" .

    I doesn't remember for which incident it is. As per the record last accident in July 2012 has 2 points, which I beleive he reduced from 4 points to 2 points I think.

    My question is whether I go to court and ask the point reduction or just pay with out going. The challenge is I need to skip the job for that day, if I have to go to court. This I want to decide based on the probability whether the prosecutor gives the break or not.
    Though my boss agreed to take a day off to compensate later, he was not happy with that, so I want to avoid court, if Idon't have the chance to reduce the point.

    My question what is that rule that decides whether prosecutor gives point reduction. I know they want money and we are just a number.

    My driving history record report doesn't say when he gave a break in points. Are there any way I can get the information.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Insurance and NJ No-Point Ticket option - Page 24 - Car Forums at