Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• Our'06 Ody EXL/NAV/RES has an engine vibration similar to yours. When the car is cold, there is a definite vibration in the steering wheel & noisy like a loose exhaust manifold/pipes. Also, at certain idling conditions, i.e. at a red light the engine vibrates & the mounts cannot correct the motion properly - must be a software bug.

Our engine mounts were replaced in an effort to eliminate the droning defect. There was no change in the engine vibration so you may have to live with it. Also, the droning noise is still very loud on the highway. The mounts are electronic active type that adjust to cancel the engine vibrations. If you ask me, the '05 & '06 Odysseys were Beta cars that wre not fully tested with new technologies (VCM, active engine mounts, etc.)

IMO, the previous generation has a much more refined engine/exhuast setup even though they use the same engine. Strides in ride comfort & appearance were made but they sacrificed the smoothness of the powertrain.

Lastly, the '07 has a new transmission with a completely different shift point program. The droning noise is pretty much gone since the 2000 rpm occurs at 75+ mph not 60mph like the '05+'06's. I did not verify if the motor mounts have been updated or reprogrammed.

Keep us posted if Honda is able to fix it for you.
  • Hi cccompson and sebring95,
    When I said cold, I guess I meant just the drivetrain (tranny, axles, PAX tires), NOT the engine. I mention the PAX tires, since they were replaced about 8k miles prior, and I wonder if they could somehow exhibit this behaviour. We warm the engine up fully every time before driving it (at least 2-3 minutes, heater's blowing warm air, etc.). When it happens, everything else about the car seems normal - it accelerates fine, idles fine, VCM kicks in on decelerations, etc. Again, this is not the droning issue - it is a definite rattle - almost like a loud ticking noise, and you can also feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel. It sounds/feels very much like a bad CV joint, although I know that's not it since the problem exists when going straight, and also goes away once the drivetrain warms up.
  • I just heard back from the service writer: the mechanic found a bad intermediate axle shaft bearing, and it had also caused the splines on axle to wear down. They're going to cover it (complete intermediate axle assembly replacement) under warranty due to being so close to the period ending as a one-time good-will coverage. Yeay! Larry Hopkins Honda rules! Parts should be in tomorrow, and I'll post an update after we have a chance to drive it cold...
  • mom24mom24 Posts: 2
    I have experienced the same noise on my 2005 Ody. It is usually cold outside (50 or below) and the engine is warm. Whenever I turn left or right there is a terrible whining sound. I am taking it in tomorrow to have it checked out and am fearful that it will not happen while it is in the shop. Will post my results
  • i back up. stop. put trans into D and step on the gas. it takes a second or so before it engages forward gear. i am afraid of jamming (so to speak) it into gear, so now i wait a few seconds before driving forward. any ideas. is this normal?
  • Both of our big Hondas seem to take a second to fully engage Drive after Reverse. Giving the vehicle the time to engage (and ~15 seconds after starting) before hitting the gas is a good practice.
  • nivajnivaj Posts: 1
    This isn't one of those 'rotting' or 'burning' smells that people have complained about. The smell that I'm getting occurs only when you first start the fan (AC doesn't need to be on). Then you don't notice it anymore until your eyes start to sting a few minutes later. The smell is more like toluene or a monomer (a chemical used to make plastics). It's a really pungent odor that hits you in the face when the fans are first turned on. I notice the smell the first time after the last service was done on the car (did a 6 month minor service and check the AC output..whatever that means, topped up all fluids, lubricate chasis/hinges, etc.).
    Any ideas as to what this smell could be would be much appreciated. The Honda dealer wasn't much help...they said I was imagining it!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867
    A local newspaper is looking to talk to a consumer that has or is interested in purchasing a minivan. Please contact ctalati@edmunds.com by December 30 and provide a daytime number that the reporter can contact you back at.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have also had this problem. Every time I would go to the dealer they would test drive it and say. Well sir I can not hear anything and we can not fix anything that we cannot hear" So off I went. One very snowy day it did it again when I was right there at the dealer. They heard it and replaced it one week later(12/15/06). Now two weeks(12/28/06) I am hearing the same noise. Maybe I can them to replace the oil tank to see if that will help. Any update Mom24 on your recent noise.
  • I have a question. I am in the process of trying to buy a 05 Odyssey EXL with about 24K miles on it for around $25K. first, is that a good price? It has a sunroof, dvd, cd disc changer and is in very good shape with tan leather interior.

secondly, when test driving it today my wife and i both noticed a vibration in the steering wheel, and the engine seemed to be a bit loud for what i would think would be a very insulated ride. The service manager then checked it out and said it was a bad motor mount which they're apparantly fixing before we would close on the deal.

Then, we noticed a burning smell that reminded me of an electrical burn. Have there been any known issues with smell in the 05+?

It seems like a lot to digest especially as it was our first experience with the Odyssey but we love the car. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • I have an '06 EXL/NAV/RES and can offer some comments.

1. The vibration in the steering wheel will probably not go away with the replacement of the engine mounts. Ours had both replaced & still have vibration issues.

2. The engines are louder than the previous generation models ('99-'04). Toyota Siennas are probably just as loud.

3. Burning smell - did not experience - maybe the oil was just changed & some dripped on the engine.

4. '05+'06's have "jerky" transmissions - the new '07's have a re-designed 4-shaft transmission (same as Pilot & Ridgeline). Honda stated the new transmission "alleviates any concerns that consumers may have"

5. Most important - the '05 & '06 Odysseys have a droning defect. Basically the noise sounds like blowing air across an empty 2 liter soda bottle. There is no fix for the problem if you have the defect. A service bulletin TSB-050 tries to reduce the noise but many report unsuccessful attempts (including myself).

I would look at buying an '07 if you can afford it. You should be able to get a new '07 EX-L for around $28-29k.

Most of the bugs were worked out the '07 including the drone defect. The shift points have been changed so the 60mph 2000rpm drone is essentially gone.

Hope this helps with your decision.
  • I have 5 children all under 7 and there are 3 carseats in the back. With the seats so tightly packed together, it is quite difficult getting them all buckled in. Getting the male fitting to click in to the buckle is very very difficult.

I was wondering if there is a seat belt extender that would click into the buckle thus extending the buckle portion that the actual belt attaches to. Six to 12 inches would be sufficient. :confuse: :cry:
  • i have a 2005 EXL and i have exactly the same problem,usually I noticed the noise when the engine is warm and making turn on either side. Is there a service bulletin from honda regarding this problem? I had numerous problem with my o5 exl,water leak on windshield,rock piercing the condenser (which I installed the wire mesh after it was fixed),grinding noise with hard breaking which was fixed 6 months ago. The problem is that the noise is not consistent but definitely i noticed after driving for at least 30 min you will hear the noise. ">
  • Interesting. we have exactly the same problem with our Ody 2005. After raising the problem with the dealer, a filter got replaced for 130$ but it turned out that it did not solve the issue. Have a next appointment in a weeks time. Hope this gets resolved. It is definitely not an imagination issue! keep you posted
  • As for the wire mesh........ what do you use and how do you attach it?
  • You can attach it with plastic wire ties. If you really want it to look nice, visit www.mrgrille.com

You can find it on eBay direct for $79. Looks great and I am very pleased with the quality and the look is awesome.
  • there is a discussion regarding the grill insert. called "Honda Odyssey - Grill Insert". it is a simple - and depending on how you do it - and relatively inexpensive procedure.
  • I have an '05 Odyssey with Leather, Navi, and DVD. I have been to the dealer 7 times in less than two years. Should I consider this to be normal for a Honda?
  • gotribegotribe Posts: 101
    Well that depends. What have you been in for? Regular maintenance? Warranty repairs? Other problems?
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 978
    bradah, one of our members, chimrichalds, explains it in our Honda Odyssey Grille Insert topic.

He's also provided a step-by-step guide with photos here:
    Chim's CarSpace

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• akuo1akuo1 Posts: 5
    I just bought an 07 EX-L w/ Navi/DVD. I really like the PAX tires in the Touring. But we want the 8-seater and only EX-L has 8 seats. I'm considering going to a performance tire shop to install run-flat. Are there any concerns? My dealer told me the reason Touring has only 7 seats is that the run-flat can take less weight than the regular. Any advice is welcome.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    Your dealer is dumb. The Touring has the same gross weight rating as the non-touring. The Touring does have a tad higher curb weight, but nothing substantial. I have other theories on why Honda doesn't offer the 8th seat in the Touring, but that's neither here nor there. They don't offer it, I was PO'd about it, but bought the EX-L R&N anyway. PAX was probably my least favorite feature of the Touring anyway so I didn't miss that a bit. Auto headlamps, memory seats, and power tail-gate is another story.....

I know nothing about aftermarket run-flats. Keep in mind one other difference on the Touring is a slightly different suspension setup due to the weight of the run-flat tires (30# more on each corner). So the handling may be compromised a bit by adding run-flats to an EX-L.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    My only advice is to stay clear of conventional run-flats.
  • tnqgzstnqgzs Posts: 7
    I just purchased an 07 EXL-RES today. My wife had a few oddball questions that I can't answer, and I'm looking for some feedback:
    1) Does anyone else miss the compass feature that is found in many other mid-line vans (and the Touring)?
    2) Does the driver's seat "break in" after a few weeks (she had a backache driving 1.5 hours home today)
    3) Isn't it more convenient to have the steering-wheel adjustment on the left side of the column?
    4) Does the large, low "glovebox" squeeze front-passenger legroom to the point of discomfort for anyone else?
    1) You can easily (and cheaply) remedy this with an aftermarket unit.

2) I've never know any seat to "break in" (except, that is, until one breaks down after years of use). Seat comfort is a highly individual thing. For me, the Odyssey seat is not the best in soothing comfort but, damn, I can drive 10 hours and not feel at all sore or physically fatigued.

3) Perhaps, but Honda doesn't engineer 'em that way.

4) This is pet peeve of mine about virtually all vehicles. The last generation Odyssey had poor leg room on the passenger side too. It sure would help if there was a power passenger seat offered.
  • It sounds like you may have purchased the wrong mini-van my friend. Maybe you should have taken it for longer test drives to better understand what you were buying. Many dealerships today, at least those I have dealt with, have let me take cars, etc. over night to determine if I "really" like and want to buy the vehicle. Typically, it's great for the dealer as most who have it for an extended period of time will end up purchasing the vehicle.

My 06 Touring with RES/NAV is very comfortable. With the power adjustable seats, it's not hard to find a position that is very comfortable and I drive it 3+ hours at a pop. I have not noticed the glove box to "squeeze" any legroom and you may wish to adjust your front seat back to more than accomodate a pair of long legs.

Best of luck with your new van. It's an awesome van with many advantages over its competition. Maybe once you get all of the settings where you like them, it will be more enjoyable to you both.
  • congrats on the purchase. it's a nice car! and you'll enjoy it.
    1 Compass, unless you used it a lot in the pass, I don't think I notice even if it's there. If I need direction, I would just use the NAV
    2 This one I am not sure sometimes you may want to adjust the driving position better. use the telescoping/tilt feature also to get optimal driving position. I am not sure about the availability of lumbar suport
    3 steering wheel adjustment location is just depend on where most people used to on their previous car. It hasn't bother me. Although I wish the touring version will have the power tilt/telescoping
    4 yeah the knee room seems abit tight for front passenger
  • skyhawkskyhawk Posts: 126
    #1 I had the dealer install the auto dimming mirror as bright lights have always bothered my eyes. It comes with a compass.

#2 I have always had back problems and I find the seat comfortable. It took several adjustments before I found the perfect combination.

#3 This is my first non GM vehicle and I don't care for the steering wheel adjustment, but it is the least of the minor irritants.

Finally, I miss the ignition on the dashboard, the auto doorlocks, and the auto headlights. However this Ody is head and shoulders over the 07 Buick terrazza that I test drove and the Honda salesman was too.
  • skyhawk - what model Ody do you have? My Ody has auto doorlocks and auto headlights.

I hear you about the Buick. This is why GM is getting out of the minivan business and will focus only on cars and trucks. When ever I see anyone driving a GM mini-van I always ask myself the question...WHY :confuse:
    When a heavy hitter like GM abandons a major product segment, either the segment or the manufacturer is dying.

And it's not the former as regards minivans.

But we digress - there are other threads that address that topic.