Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    I also have to disagree with you and echo rorr's post.

"Apparently few Sienna buyers wanted the full completment of airbags and traction/VSC. And when trying to DEAL with the Toyota dealer's, they knew I was seeking a relatively rare vehicle. And dealt accordingly. Best I could get was around $32k

For some strange reason, I had no trouble find an Odyssey EX-L, in our preferred color (Ocean Mist), in stock. And I got it for $28.6k"

We had a nearly identical situation here in the NE. All we really wanted was traction control and side curtain airbags along with the SRS in the front. We eventually settled for an EX-L at a lower price, though we didn't get to choose a color ;) The market was pretty tight at the time I suppose.
    Not sure about your other ones but:
    "2) On paper the Ody says it has an outside temp gauge, but where does it show you the temp? I don't remember seeing it during both my test drives, though I didn't think to ask the dealer at the time to show me where it was. I have that in my current car and LOVE knowing what the outside temp is"

In the '05 this information is where the odometer is. You push a little stalk and switch between a few different displays.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    ""personally, i wonder how someone could negotiate a good deal on a Sienna that wasn't on the dealer's lot."

It's certainly not possible. "

I managed to get $3,300 off of sticker on a 2006 Sienna that was not on a dealers lot. I even had two dealers offer me the same price, and a third was a couple of hundred behind. This was even before there was a rebate. I bought from the dealer that could deliver the vehicle first. It is not hard to do - contact the internet dept. at the dealer.
    I stand corrected.
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    We had a nearly identical situation here in the NE. All we really wanted was traction control and side curtain airbags along with the SRS in the front. We eventually settled for an EX-L at a lower price, though we didn't get to choose a color The market was pretty tight at the time I suppose.
    I hate to say it, but I did not even want to try to wade through the option list on the Toyota vans. Similar for the Chrysler vans. I do not enjoy buying vehicles and dealing with people who sell them. I have better things to do with my life. Honda has four basic vans, two of which I would have considered, the EX and the EX-L. I wanted leather and VCM so I ended up choosing an EX-L and that is what I got. They had already installed mud flaps on it which I did not mind.
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    Dogone -- there is an echo in here...here...here. The primary reason I walked out of three Toyota dealerships (having owned an '04 Camry XLE I love their vehicles) was that even after digesting the Boolean option chart, they were unable to find anything available even close to what I wanted. Fully equipped it exceeded the price and therefore value of the Odyssey Touring. Dealers promised they could get me exactly what I wanted but fell far short in color, what I considered no-go's like DVD, Navi, option soup, etc. Long on promise, short on action, I left feeling like somewhere else there was a family 'settling' for more than they wanted in a Sienna while I could have their exact choice. One can't help but feel the Toyota holier than thou, are you privileged enough to buy a specially equipped minivan from us (my option choices, nothing special). Spending this much money no one wants to settle for second choice. I got this not once but three times.

Having then decided to go with team H, the Touring was our obvious choice in a luxo-fam-cruisebox. Tourings are somewhat scarce but I found what I wanted, beat our local dealer by $1,500, flew to ATL for 50 bucks, happiness ensues. Having inside connections to both the local Honda and Toyota dealers made no difference. Seems some dealers either have overhead or profit requirements that keep them from competing outside their locale.

Inventory changes daily and doesn't include inboud allocations so even if every dealer had a good website it's today's news, often outdated tommorow.

Pick one YOU like...like...like...
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    "You keep making comments about how the Odyssey is MUCH MUCH expensive (I think you meant MORE expensive there). It really isn't, as many here can attest. When you can find a Sienna optioned similarly to an Odyssey, they are all similar in price."

Good point. Now that both models sell near invoice in many areas, the difference is less than even 6 months ago. If you're only comparing based on one feature like a power hatch or DVD system, the numbers can be skewed a lot more than if you compare similarly equipped models.

When I shopped 8 passenger models a few months ago, the real street price difference of a similarly equipped LE8 and EX ended up being under $500, with the Sienna being a little cheaper. There were still numerous minor feature differences. The only somewhat major one was an extra power door on the Odyssey. Even that may not concern some buyers.

I ended up splurging on an EX-L when the Toyota dealer gave me the runaround on the Sienna I ordered (had to be a factory order to get the package with comparable safety features). I guess someone could claim I spent thousands more on the Odyssey and be right, although the extras like leather, heated seats and moonroof aren't available on an 8-passenger Sienna so you can't compare fairly.

Ultimately, if price is the only factor, then by all means buy the one that is cheaper in your area for the features you want.
  • luvboxrsluvboxrs Posts: 47
    We shopped the Sienna Limited and Ody Touring with NAV & RES and for us, the Ody was our immediate, easy choice.

We found the interior of the Ody much more pleasing in aesthetics and convenience. When my husband looked in the Sienna, his reaction was "yuck". Hated all the puffy gathered leather and gross fake wood. Just personal preference, but it reminded us of an old Lincoln Towncar. Really felt like something an old lady would drive.

We found the driving experience dramatically different as well. I couldn't believe I was driving a minivan in the Ody. Nice braking, nice steering, little body roll. It had less body roll than my 03 Toyota Landcruiser. The Sienna was way too floaty, and the understeer was disturbing to say the least. I never felt in control of the vehicle.

Dealerships are variable, but we found the Honda dealership much nicer than the Toyota. This will be our 7th car purchase in 7 years so I know my way around a dealership. The Toyota folks were aggressive and annoying. The Honda guys let us look at the Ody by ourselves with no hovering for as long as we wanted until we were ready for the test drive.

We weren't shopping based on price, but it also happens that we can get the Ody for $2-3k less than the Sienna would have a cost us...an added benefit.

The only point I would give the Sienna is better exterior colors to choose from.
  • The outside temp is displayed on the mileage indicator. As you toggle through, the temp will be displayed next to one of the trip mileage indicators.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    lastwaith - maybe you should have written "It's certainly not probable". ;)

i think several of the previous posts make the point that people find it problematic to find what they want.

i remember the SNL skit where the short-order staff meet customers and stick to the mantra: "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger", "No fries, Chips", and "No Coke, Pepsi".

i just think Toyota is purposefully making it complicated to benefit the company and its dealers. the variations in model options makes it more difficult to objectively assess value and stick to what you want when you discover it isn't generally available. i think you've got to have a list of available packages and colors in mind when you go in for a test drive and be willing to be very flexible.

that's going to be a turnoff for many consumers, and the posts here make that clear.

in my opinion toyota purchasers actually benefit by Honda's simpler availability and pricing models. it provides something concrete that allows those interested in the Sienna something to compare the myriad of packages to.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    "i remember the SNL skit where the short-order staff meet customers and stick to the mantra: "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger", "No fries, Chips", and "No Coke, Pepsi"."

Billy Goat Tavern. Mmmmmm.
  • Would anyone comment a bit on the All wheel drive system between the new Sienna and Rav 4?

I was not particularly happy with the new V-6 AWD RAV4 after test-drivng on dry road condition due to torque steer. I have a 93' Previa AWD and quite happy about its AWD system and am now ready for a new AWD vehicle. Wish Sienna has the same AWD. Please help me to finalize my buying decision. Thanks. :confuse:
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Don't worry-The Sienna V6 has MUCH less power in a heavier vehicle than the RAV-4 V6.
    You should test drive a Sienna AWD to see if the lower power in the Sienna produces any torque steer.
    Don't worry-The Sienna V6 has MUCH less power in a heavier vehicle than the RAV-4 V6.
    You should test drive a Sienna AWD to see if the lower power in the Sienna produces any torque steer.

I find this thread interesting. My 2006 Odyssey EX-L which is FWD only and has significantly more HP and torque that the Sienna, has in my opinion no torque steer. Would any other readers comment on this observation.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The 2005 EX Ody I have driven (about 1,000 miles worth) never produced noticeable torque steer for me (my aunt hasn't reported any either in 15,000 miles) I doubt the Sienna would either.
  • Does anyone know about the AWD system of the Sienna Van? Is it a VTM system like the Honda CRV?

Is it Front or Rear torque-biase system?

Or it is a Full-Time AWD? :confuse:

Thanks.
  • ttenragttenrag Posts: 38
    Accord better than any SUV in winter...right! I will take my 4runner over your Accord with "magic" snow tires.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    If you ever have to stop the Accord would be the better of the two.
    Your 4Runner's 4WD and ground clearance have nothing to do with stopping; generally the most dangerous flaw in snow driving (lack of traction to stop, that is).
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    I guess you have never driven in winter, have you? I've been far up north in Canada. Once you reach places near Muskoka, almost all cars there are on snow tires. Some even on chains. If you bring all seasons, you're simply risking your own life. This is the reason why my Corolla's rear bumper was smashed. An owner of a mighty GMC Suburban on all seasons thought her SUV could handle the winter. But no, it couldn't handle the ice and deep snow. Her ignorance resulted in a dent on my car!

Want to meet me next time in Canada during winter? It'll be my treat. I'd like to see how your ultimate 4RUNNER on all seasons would handle.

link title- You should read this article.

"Snow tires trump 4WD, AWD, traction control and stability control. A front-drive economy sedan on four top-quality snow tires will go more places than the best 4WD vehicle on all-season tires. An AWD- and stability control-equipped sport sedan on high-performance summer tires will get stuck on a snow cone spilled on an August highway. AWD and computer driver assists can only manage available traction, they can't increase grip."- Edmunds
  • boskobosko Posts: 8
    I am looking at buying Sienna or Odyssey, and need navigation because my wife is not "good" with directions.

I was really disappointed that, if you compare the lowest models with navigation, Sienna is $2K more. In addition, dealerships seem to only carry navigation with "everything" model, which is MSRP'd at $44K -- Odyssey with nav is $35K MSRP, can probably be had for $33K and change.

Is this particular to my area, that navigation is practically not available with vanilla XLE model (+ option package #8)?
  • Does anyone know whether the third row seats in either the Odyssey or Sienna are actually leather? WE noticed in the Odyssey brochure that it says leather 1st and 2nd row seats. The Sienna just says "leather trimmed interior". We have three kids,so someone is always in the third row, and we live in Arizona, where even leather seats can be uncomfortable in summer. I can't imagine subjecting the kids to vinyl.
    Go with the cloth; its almost always more comfy than leather, especially in temperature extremes!
    Does anyone know whether the third row seats in either the Odyssey or Sienna are actually leather? WE noticed in the Odyssey brochure that it says leather 1st and 2nd row seats. The Sienna just says "leather trimmed interior". We have three kids,so someone is always in the third row, and we live in Arizona, where even leather seats can be uncomfortable in summer. I can't imagine subjecting the kids to vinyl.
    2006 Odyssey EX-L 3rd seat is definitely leather and very comfortable. Also side panels are covered in leather at third seat. Feels quite luxurious.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Agree 100 %. It gets VERY cold in Rocky Mountain region of Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah in the winter. In the summer, it can also get HOT...especially on a clear day when the sun is shining brightly.
    Leather is very nice in homes where the temperature can be kept at a comfortable 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit but the temperatures in a vehicle can be kept in the comfort range only while the vehicle engine is running.
  • temp409temp409 Posts: 55
    But at $30,000 I can't afford it. but the Sienna has EVERYTHING that I want in a van. ALL seatbelts catch FIRST jerk but then again so do all vans except our Dodge caravan (rear shoulder straps dont catch) we just wrecked and my daughter was badly hurt because of the shoulder belt not catching. Test for yourself you will see. We got the Kia sedona for only $16,500 ALL catching seatbelts also 5yr bumper to bumper and 20yr 200,000 mile powertrain warranty. Wouldn't have got it except for that warranty though. Sienna was my fav. by far over the Odyssey because the ride was much smoother.
    But at $30,000 I can't afford it. but the Sienna has EVERYTHING that I want in a van. ALL seatbelts catch FIRST jerk but then again so do all vans except our Dodge caravan (rear shoulder straps dont catch) we just wrecked and my daughter was badly hurt because of the shoulder belt not catching. Test for yourself you will see. We got the Kia sedona for only $16,500 ALL catching seatbelts also 5yr bumper to bumper and 20yr 200,000 mile powertrain warranty. Wouldn't have got it except for that warranty though. Sienna was my fav. by far over the Odyssey because the ride was much smoother
    I do not understand why you test drove the Toyota and Honda if you could not afford them. You knew this ahead of time. This is part of the reason that people who actually might buy a vehicle have a hard time getting a test drive. I chose an Odyssey because it has wonderful safety features on all models and because I feel that it is the best at allowing accident AVOIDANCE. Best steering, best acceleration and most importantly perhaps the best brakes.
  • temp409temp409 Posts: 55
    "I do not understand why you test drove the Toyota and Honda if you could not afford them." Really you have gone to a car lot and been rejected a test drive? That don't happen in our town that I know of. And actually Kias sticker price is close to sienna just that toyota didn't have big rebates is why we chose kia. Better ride than odyessy- better warranty- less money- interior looked better than sienna or odyssey -a bit less power but I don't need alot of power.
    I think one of us misunderstood...I think he meant "Why would you go and drive something that you know you couldn't afford to buy?"

It would be like me going out and driving a Lexus IS350. I would love one, but I know I can't afford it, so I didn't bother test-driving it when I was car-shopping.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    This isn't a Chrysler discussion, nor is it a Kia discussion. There are other boards for discussing those vehicles.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.