Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Isn't the Mercedes C class the entry level Mercedes? :confuse:
    Are you comparing it to the Sienna XLE Limited, XLE, LE, or entry level CE? ;)
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    My Sienna is XLE LTD AWD. The MB C class is the entry level. They both price about the same.
  • 05ody05ody Posts: 103
    I dont think they really ment it drives like a BMW. They said it is the MINIVAN of BMW's not that it handles like the BMW, it was just a saying. I think it handles extreamlly well for a minivan, better then the Sienna. But I have never driven a BMW and I am sure that the Oyssey isnt anything like it. But it is the best handling minivan you can get today just like the Accord has abit better handling and road feel then the Camry.
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    As someone mentioned before, the gap in handling between Bimmer and Ody is a lot wider than the luxury between Lexus and Sienna. Since I own both Ody and Sienna, they basically handle the same in everyday driving conditions.
  • Hi all:
    I live in Phoenix. As such, we use the air quite alot. In fact, the only reason I am looking to get a new car is that our '99 ML320 doesn't have rear vents and my children are beginning to complain about the heat. Anyway, how easy is it to control the air for the back passengers from the front for the Sienna and the Ody? Specifically, can I set the fans at a different level as well as the temp? Also, I heard that the Touring with Nav has voice command so I wouldn't need to take my eyes off the road to adjust the air. Does the EX-L work the same?

TIA,
    Nesha
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    The NAV system in the Ody Touring is the same as the system in the EX-L.

That being said, I know that in the standard EX-L (no NAV), the rear fan speed can be adjusted from the front seat but not the rear temp. The Ody Touring has tri-zone (driver,passenger, and rear) automatic climate control. So, I don't know that the voice control NAV can be used to adjust rear temp in the EX-L. Truthfully, I wasn't aware that the voice commands also worked the HVAC system. Interesting.

The Sienna XLE and XLE Ltd. also have tri-zone automatic climate control. However, no voice commands for the NAV (or HVAC).
  • jim2363jim2363 Posts: 7
    I think they are a legit problem-it is one of the reasons I went with an Ody last week. There is a kit the dealers can use to convert to regular tires but it costs $800 and you lose the 60 seat in the 60/40 third row because they need the space below for the limited use spare. And those run while flat tires are EXPENSIVE.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Posts: 87
    I posted this also in 2004+ Sienna thread. Front end gets a lot more agressive (besides the grill, it can pass off as an Odyssey) and rear end gets little revisions. Minor revisions here and there. But major revisions are noted below.

Well, to Andrew's liking, the 2006 rear DVD monitor has been increased to 9". The body colour Park Assist sensors are standard compared to the black ones of 2004-'05 Siennas. Seat memory on the XLE & Limited are available. Optitron guages (Odyssey style) are now available. And some new gadgets including power folding 3rd row seats.

And perhaps to some's liking. The ugly (IMO) black trim on the CE and LE have been eliminated for silver colour

Also, because of new SAE regulations, the 3.3L makes 215hp/222lb-ft. There really was no decrease in performance except the numbers.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    215 horsepower down from 230?...How is that not a decrease in performance?
    That's surprising that Toyota would lower the horsepower...considering the fact that thats all a lot of people seem to talk about.
    Go search the new SAE regulations. Nearly everybody's horsepower is going down.

In reality, the engine has not been touched at all.

Here, my friend

http://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/details.htm

I know certain Honda models have already participated in the new SAE and thus the HP/torque ratings fell for 2006.

So, my 2004 Sienna 3.3L V6 has 230hp/242lb-ft under the old SAE regulations but is 215/222lb-ft under the new SAE regulations.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Would you please provide the link to information on the new 2006 Sienna? :blush: (Edmunds does not have any information yet.)
    I posted this already at the 2004+ thread but it's found at the "other" Sienna website :blush:
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    Ditto... Where did you get this info from??
    Does the club for the Sienna sound right? Similar to the club for the Ody...

;)
  • boodadboodad Posts: 31
    I've reviewed the 2006 Sienna new features at the "other" site and although I'm not at liberty to discuss them yet (per site administrator's request), I do know that there are features that are worth getting - - some of which have been discussed on this site as "glaring omissions." For those interested in these "new" features (and are comparing Sienna against the Ody) and are in the buying market, have your sights set on the XLE as a minimum, with the Limited to be an awesome luxery vehicle. It will be interesting to see and compare the 2006 Ody offerings...
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    05Ody: You are absolutely right! You understand the point!

We would be wasting our time continuing to explain what the analogy meant in this case. So I have given up with another similar past experience I had...maybe another analogy??

A few years ago while teaching a class of 15 in a post graduate course in my alumni university where I got my PhD in EE, one of the students was just lost because he did not understand the concept of what was being discussed. He was asking so many questions and holding back the other students, that it was clear that he needed to take a pre-requisite course before attending the next offering of this course. Which he did.

So without wasting more time, let us drop the subject.

Have a great weekend!
    "Also, because of new SAE regulations, the 3.3L makes 215hp/222lb-ft. There really was no decrease in performance except the numbers. "

I won't be suprised that this was done to correct their claim that the Sienna is 230HP with regular gas, when in fact it needed premium for 230hp.

So it makes sense that the stated power is lowered to 215hp for regular gas.
    "Also, because of new SAE regulations, the 3.3L makes 215hp/222lb-ft. There really was no decrease in performance except the numbers. "

I won't be suprised that this was done to correct their claim that the Sienna is 230HP with regular gas, when in fact it needed premium for 230hp.

So it makes sense that the stated power is lowered to 215hp for regular gas. Maybe some secret investigations have been done by the authorities?

Since this is Toyota's perception that hp is not critical for minivan owners, one of this forum's earlier dreams of the the 280hp Avalon engine as an optional engine is now toast?

The 255hp of the Ody vs the 215hp of the Sienna is much more attractive for us leadfooters! Maybe this will further differentiate the Ody from the Sienna as a better spirited performer.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    The revised Sienna numbers are based on new testing methodology by SAE. Period. As discussed above, even Honda has already adjusted some of the hp/torque numbers on some of their 2006 models.

Do you know if the 2005 Ody was tested under the old SAE methods or the new SAE methods?
  • rcpgrcpg Posts: 5
    What is the "other" site (that has the 2006 Sienna review)?