Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I wouldn't quite go that far, but it was a nice surprise for someone like me who does plan to tow a small utility trailer.

Competitors' towing kits (with coolers) cost upwards of $400, not including installation.
  • gotoyotagotoyota Posts: 280
    How often do you hear about a Sienna with a blown tranny? Not saying it never happens... but I haven't heard of any widespread issues. I can't say the same for any of it's competitors ;) Not just tranny's either...
    To be fair, the 3.0l engine in the previous generation Sienna did have sludge issues. Toyota eventaully caved in with 100k warranty coverage, but only after a lot of pressure.

Noone is perfect, not even Toyota.

And before the Honda folks start celebrating, can you say 7/100 coverage on early Odyssey transmissions?

Fortunately the 3.3l-3.5l van engines have been great, and yes the transmissions are rock solid.
    Yes, have to concede a point on the sludging issue, and true, even Toyota makes a blunder now and then. Still, they're the best bet if long term quality is your ultimate priority. I am not claiming any expertise on the "sludging" issue, but a Toyota mechanic friend explained that the sludging problem resulted from a combination of 1.) those engines were designed using narrower than normal oil passages, and 2.) when combined with hotter than normal operating temperatures and certain formulations of oil, oil breakdown occurred, causing accumulation of oil deposits throughout the oil passages ("sludge") which resulted in reduced oil flow. No excuse, but typically one engineer is responsible for a product line at Toyota, from concept to design to production to sales. I bet that guy was in big trouble! My family has owned several Toyota's/Lexus' and Honda's, and a few Nissan's. Our experience has all been the same. Toyota is hands down the longest lasting with the least amount of trouble, and the most durable body hardware. Our Honda's have been relatively good, but not as much so as the Toyota's; however, they DO bring a higher "fun" quotient to the driving experience if you look past the lower grade materials, which I have a hard time with (apparently! :blush: ) We have never, ever, had any major issues with our Toyotas. Our Honda's have all been more prone to have problems over the long term. Our Nissans have been very good also, but the Quest is UGLY, so it's not even a contender.
    Oh yeah, the Ody is STILL having tranny issues too. Even after all this time....

Don't get me wrong, they are VERY nice vans and it's easy to see why people buy them. I'm pretty opinionated about cars - guilty as charged - but there are also numerous long term quality studies that support the claim that Toyota's, in general, hold up better. On the flip side, there are a lot more Honda enthusiasts that are passionate about their cars because they are fun to drive - going back to "it's just a matter of taste." For most people, the difference is not significant and the fun to drive factor compensates for any "minor issues" like blown up trannys, flimsy body hardware, and electrical problems. Just my 2 cents...
    My cousin's Ody has been OK, but she did get the extended warranty due to that transmission.

I know the Sienna is reliable, but still, there's so much that can break. Automatic doors are expensive to fix.

I'm still debating this. The nice thing is that extended warranties are amazingly cheap for Honda/Toyota. Use it once and you come out way ahead.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My cousin's Ody has been OK, but she did get the extended warranty due to that transmission.

Well, she bought something she shouldn't have, then, because the years for transmissions that have been problematic is under extended warranty, isn't it?

I haven't heard about tranny problems lately with the current model like I did with the '99 Ody, '01 Acura CL (my friend's '01 CL tranny went out at 80k and it was replaced for free) or '03 Accords. They all got warranties
    Do you recall what years were covered?

I think she bought hers slightly after the affected model years. Edit: I meant to say the years Honda chose to cover. Some later ones are still affected.

It might have been the last year of the previous generation, but I'm not exactly sure.

Her warranty was dirt cheap, something like $700 for a 7/100 full coverage. One little problem and it pays for itself.
    Consumer Guide said this about the Odyssey (prev. gen):

Automatic transmission: Automatic transmission problems prompted to company to extend warranty coverage to 7 years/100,000 miles. (2000-03)
    Through 2003, OK.

She has the previous generation, so it's either a 2002 or 2003 model, I believe. She may have purchased it before that transmission warranty was announced, though.
    Well, the previous gen goes through 2004, so it sounds like she could have that one.

I think they announced the transmission warranty fairly early on, but I could very well be mistaken.
  • mcjazzzymcjazzzy Posts: 62
    In my opinion, I think a lot of people would purchase the Odyssey for the sleek outside look, but in comparison to the Toyota, the inside cabin is so much nicer looking. But, I think people are looking at the outside and only interested in the basic features that are available. To me, all the Odys basically look the same inside, no wood-grain in the Touring. I think a lot of people will go for the Odys because it's cheaper than the Sienna, but I think the Sienna has so much more to offer. I always loved the Odyssey, it's a nice looking van, (I was torn by the two)I went for the Sienna because is had the Lexus touch, (the steering wheel, the navigation)I have more features than the Ody and the 0% financing at the time pretty much sealed the deal.
    My brother purchased his '02 in '03 and the tranny blew within the first 2 months of buying it. It was replaced at no charge. However, at the time, Honda had not yet changed the warranty, but the problem was known and the dealer didn't hassle him at all. She should be fine, other than the inconvenience, if it happens to hers.
    http://autos.yahoo.com/honda_odyssey-reviews_user/

There are some reviews here that paint an ugly picture of Ody's ongoing transmission problems, as well as more of the same things I have griped about on my 04. The one person who seems to disagree with the complaints of the others drives an Impala for his other car. If that's the standard he is holding the Ody to, he's probably used to problems worse than what the Ody has. It's no wonder he loves it so much! My 04, while it drives great, has all the same nitpicks found here, especially the bad fuel economy. So it doesn't look like Honda is addressing the issues, and it appears the tranny is still a trouble spot. As good as its many virtues are, there's no excuse for not fixing this. Extending the warranty is just a bandaid. It makes me nervous about mine and I hate that feeling. It would be gone right now if the wife hadn't put the brakes on my purchasing a Sienna XLE Limited earlier this week because she still thinks she wants an 8 seater. Women!! I just hope the thing doesn't break before we reach a consensus! Seems okay for now - keeping fingers crossed.
    Ironically my cousin's Ody has been reliable. Knock on wood. She hasn't used the warranty yet AFAIK.

Styling? I say c'mon, these are vans. It's like arguing which card board box looks better.

Both are inoffensive, basically. I do wish Honda would hide the sliding door tracks.
    I know, I know. You make a good point, and a few years ago when we purchased our first van, I was practically kicking and screaming the whole time. Now that we have owned one for several years, my tastes have... shall we say, evoloved, to the point that I actually find certain models pretty, and others unattractive. Maybe it's just a resignation to the idea that there will always be one in our garage, at least until 5 kids are grown. But even then, who knows. They make a lot of sense - roomy, comfortable, fuel efficient, and now, even fun to drive. Sure they aren't sports cars and don't excite like my favorite car - Porsche 911 (997 now), but they do elicit a certain sense of beauty all their own. I appreciate them for what they are. I just like a well executed design that fulfills its purpose well, looks attractive, and doesn't break. I think the Ody looks very attractive, is great funcionally, but lets down in the "doesn't break" category. The Sienna doesn't break, is functionally great, looks very nice, just not as attractive as the Ody. But I'd still marry one. ;)
    When I think "good minivan design" I immediately think of thoughful features inside, not styling. ;)
    I actually said "well executed design," meaning the thoughtful features you mentioned, as well as the engineering of the car, which is distinctly different from styling, which I mentioned separately when I said "looks attractive". :P
    I guess it "attracts" up to 6 kindergardeners. :D
  • rodivarodiva Posts: 11
    Had it for few days, everything is good except when the car is slowing down, going into garage, coming to stop, I can hear fuel tank noise inside the van, sound of fuel moving back and forth, like the water inside the barrel. The noise is always there. I took it back to the dealer right away (30 miles on it) and they say it's normal. Normal to be heard inside the cabin? this is a Sienna! they said for new model Toyota relocated the fuel tank beneath the middle seat. So where's the insulation? I paid $37,000 for this van and I am suppose to live with this noise each time. Dealer told me to turn on my radio? Anyone have same problem? please advise, many thanks in adanvce.
    I know the sound you're talking about - almost like a "knock" when the fuel sloshes to the front or the rear of the tank. I don't know why it seems to be so hard to design a van that doesn't do this, but the Ody does the same thing, and so did our previous van (98 Pontiac Montana). I expected the Honda wouldn't do it, but it does.
  • rodivarodiva Posts: 11
    Older siennas have fuel tanks located in rear, now the fuel tank is at mid left and giving space on right side for spare tire. Having this design allowing fuel to have too much "free play" going back and forth. The noise is simply too noticeable inside the car. Is this a design flaw? I wonder how the fuel tank was design inside, maybe Toyota never thought about it? does any new sienna owners have this problem, or simply don't care about the noise? My brother has a 07 Honda Odyssey, honestly I don't hear any fuel tank noise. I have this toyota van for 2 days, for $37,000 I am regretting already buying this vehicle. Blame myself why didnt i ask the salesman to turn off radio.
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    I would say you're probably going to have to get used to it. I have an 07 Camry and hear the same noise all the time (I bought it in May 06). Maybe this is a common Toyota problem. Our 07 Odyssey does not make this noise. Not to rub it in, but we love the Odyssey!
    Our 2000 Odyssey had this tank-sloshing thing. It was no big deal to us.

The creaky seat and the rattling power door lock slider/switch thing in the beack seat was another story.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    my '03 ODY has this behavior, even with interior baffles on the tank, i think at a certain fill amount any tank from any make is going to slosh some and if you listen for it, you'll hear it.

i trust, it will be more noticeable when the tank is almost filled.

don't let this detract from your enjoyment of the vehicle. right now your brain is listening for the discrepant. soon it will be background. say a week or two.
  • speterson1speterson1 Posts: 228
    I also have a 2007 Odyssey EX and I've never heard any type of fuel-sloshing noise.

Good luck with a fix...or learning to ignore it!
    To answer your question directly, the insulation is in the fire wall and door sills. They added this when they went to the chain-driven camshaft in the 2GR engine family, for model year 2007.

I've never heard the gas tank, FWIW.

I have heard water trapped in my Miata's door sills slosh around, though.
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    Actually, this is "normal". I noticed it when I drove the 00 LE, my 03 VW Passat, and the Kia Sedona I drove before I got the Sienna I am driving now. I always think of it as having plenty of "go-go juice". Once your gas starts getting a little low, the sound should dissipate. I'm so used to it that I hardly notice it anymore. Enjoy that new van! :shades:
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    The XLE doesn't come as an 8-seater? I have a friend with six children who drives an XLE and hers is an 8-seater. Interestingly enough, some Toyota dealerships in my home state (South Carolina) are now offering lifetime warranties. Mine came with the car at no extra cost, and it's your basic powertrain warranty.