Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    Well, I sure don't have all of the answers...but..

A lot of people don't care for the fake wood look.

A "gated shifter" ? A big deal to very few, myself included.

DVD on the dash? What are you talking about? It's on the ceiling, of course!

Both have their advantages, I suppose. People just have to decide what is important to them!
  • kak2kak2 Posts: 1
    Hi Claires,
    Just wondering what you know about how well the Odyssey performs in snow. I'm debating between the Honda and an AWD SUV as I don't like the Sienna. We will probably do a lot driving to mountains for skiing, so need to be sure that the Honda can perform in that type of environment. Thanks.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Sienna for performance, Odyssey for most comfortable 2nd row seats ( all other seats comparable between the 2). The Sienna transmission has also been more reliable than the Odyssey.
    In Salt Lake City area, there is a $3,306 difference in favor of the Sienna LE. Most recent SELLING prices were $ 24,900 for a 2005 Sienna LE with MSRP $27,289 and $28,206 for a 2006 Odyssey EX with MSRP $28,945. :P
  • you do know that you're not comparing apples to apples there in either model year or comparable features, right?
    Yes, the Sienna LE and Odyssey EX are not comparable since the Sienna LE has a complete overhead console and one power sliding door while the Odyssey has NO overhead console but has 2 power sliding doors....and there are other less noticeable differences such as the Sienna having the most reliable transmission and the Odyssey EX has cast wheels standard.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    re: comparing '05 Sienna LE to '06 Ody EX -

Also remember that the Ody will have the full complement of side airbags with roll-over sensors and traction/skid control as standard equipment. The Sienna LE won't. Of course, in lieu of those very minor little safety items (really, who wants safety in a minivan?), you DO get a really nice overhead console on the Sienna.......
    Not me. I want comfort, convenience, and reliability which makes the Sienna the first choice. ;)
    I understand.

I just wanted to point out some of the OTHER differences between these two vehicles you put together in a price comparison to justify (to yourself) why the Sienna LE would be a better deal. Because some people MIGHT prefer the safety features of the Odyssey over the overhead console on the Sienna and be willing to pay a few extra hundred for these items on the Odyssey.

Of course, since the actual availability of these safety items on the Sienna is 'spotty' at best (at least in the Texas area when our first choice was a Sienna), then your comparison probably has more validity. ;)
  • 05ody05ody Posts: 103
    Oh and did you hear? the Odyssey did good and made it on the list for one of the best for rear crashes. The Sienna did not do so well and did not make it.
    No worry with the Sienna. The VERY responsive transmission and engine make it possible to rapidly accelerate at any speed so that no one can rear end the Sienna. :shades:
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    very responsive transmission on the sienna... :mirror shades:
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    Hans,

I'm surprised with your response considering your intellect and history here. Are you suggesting that the Sienna is a warp speed rocketship while others are not? Your average rear end collision occurs near intersections. Typically, someone behind you wasn't paying attention or trys to stop too late. Obviously your Toyo bias thinking is that at say 15 MPH you can mash the pedal and jump to 70 MPH while catching a glimpse of someone approaching 50 feet or so away to avoid getting smashed from behind. Chances are, even if you had this ability, you'd not have an 'out' and in the process you smash into someone else. Please rethink your response in that no minivan today has this sort of acceleration, your response borders on BS, not in character for you.

Cheers!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I'm not sure but I think hans is yanking your chain a bit. Isn't that part of what " :shades: " means?

I would rather have a quick responsive engine and trans in case of an emergency instead of one that bogs down for a second or two. Though it would probably come into play about as often as any other saftey feature...almost never.
    Thanks for clarifying that my response was tongue in cheek.
    davant posted a very intelligent rebuttal.
  • At least for me, December will show if the Odyssey can take on santa... (snow) My guess is that the odyssey's 240 horses can definitly handle the snow just as good as santa and his 9 reindeer... :P :shades: which makes up like what... 9 horses. Chicago winters definity put you cars to the test... :shades:
  • or should i say 244 horses for the odyssey... to many changes... gosh :P
  • Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. lot of useful information I could find here.

I need help comparing the differences B/W Sienna Vs Odessy.

I test drove Odessy 2005 EX model .

I am interested in buying either 2005 EX L model or 2005 EX L entertainment system.

If I need to buy similar equavalent features model in Sienna which model should I consider. Is it XLE ??.

Would Odessy cost me cheaper compare to added options in Sienna.

Can any one help me on this.

Thanks
    Sam
    The closest thing (IMO) to the Ody EX-L is the Sienna XLE w/ package #6. This package will add the traction control/skid control, leather, and moonroof (and a few other misc. doodads). The TMV as listed by Edmunds for these two vehicles is $30,249 for the Ody EX-L and $31,793 for the Sienna XLE w/#6.

Obviously, each vehicle has some features the other lacks. The biggies off the top of my head are:

Sienna - has power rear hatch, flip out 3rd row windows, overhead console w/ trip computer, power passenger seat, wood grain dash, tilt steering, and floor console that can be moved from 1st to second row. Sienna drives a bit smoother/quieter.

Odyssey - PlusOne seat for 8 seating capacity, and in-floor storage (lazy susan). Odyssey drives a bit more 'athletically' (a bit more composed in curves / a bit more responsive steering).

Both vans are pretty quick. Both vans will get roughly the same mileage (within 1-2 mpg). When I say that one is a 'bit' smoother or a 'bit' more responsive, the differences are actually (IMO) rather small.

When my wife and I were shopping, we preferred the Sienna. However, due to Toyota's Byzantine distribution plan, the actual availability of a vehicle optioned the way WE wanted was extremely small (we were seeking an XLE w/ leather, all the side airbags, and traction/VSC). We only located a couple of vehicles and the dealer's were not willing to deal. OTOH, we located several Ody EX-L's in the color we wanted (Ocean Mist) and were able to deal a bit better. In the end, we were able to get an EX-L for nearly $4k under the best we could manage for a Sienna. We felt the Sienna was better, but NOT $4k better.

That was on '05 models. You may have better luck locating what you want in an '06 model. Or your local dealers may deal differently (locally, we had better luck with the Honda dealers but that is certainly not the same around the country). Or, if traction/VSC is not a big deal for you, then the Sienna can be even cheaper than the EX-L.
    This is THE BEST, most unbiased comparison between any vehicles I have ever read. ALL important information was clearly stated. ;)
    (BTW, I think the Ocean Mist Metallic is one of the prettiest colors I have seen on any vehicle in many years with Sienna XLE Arctic Frost Pearl the only color as gorgeous).
    THANKS!!!

.....and I tried to not even say anything crass about overhead consoles just for you! :shades: :P

As a bit of a personal postscript: for me, the Lazy Susan was a very attractive feature when we were shopping. After having the van for a while though, it's only used to store stuff that we rarely EVER need (jumper cables, etc.). For us anyway, so far it's been kinda useless. This could change when the kids get old enough (big enough) to reach into it themselves.