Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Can anyone tell me what Sienna model/options would be the one to compare to the Odyssey EX-L with no nav, no dvd. I want to make sure that when I go dollar to dollar I am doing so with very similar vehicles. Thanks!
  • pray4allpray4all Posts: 11
    Several ppl comments on using aftre market DVD player.

But if you are getting Ody now, the price difference between EX-L and EX-L w/RES is just over $1000, and it's facotry installed with wrty..
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    For the 2007 models it was closest to an XLE with package 6.

They shuffled the packages (EVP 2 is close to the old pkg 3 on the LE models) but grab a Sienna brochure and it shouldn't be too hard to find it.

I bet it's a XLE-5 or XLE-6 now as well.
  • Cimbriano,

Check out my posting a few above. I listed a lot of the differences between the models. You are comparing a Sienna XLE w/leather, roof, alloys, (option pkg 2 or 3 - cant remember - there are so many packages with Toyota) to the EXL. You might want to print off a comparison on line between the two models to see the exact differences. You wont go wrong with either model. I have owned both. Dollar for dollar I think the Honda is a better choice in the long run - considering residual, and the strong incentives Honda offers. I also think you should be able to get the Hondas for less. Their lots have been full around me. Overflowing. Toyota scaled back production, and it seems their lots are thinner. Both are coming out with new models in the fall if you can wait.
  • "Also, they can get rid of the 4 cup holders on the center console tray at the same time. "

I've had the Odyssey for a week or two now and while I had the same thought on the test drives, now that I'm using it I love those little center console cup holders.

Once in a while I use them for a soda but for the most part they make great holders for our two cell phones and other small odds and ends.

I wish that pop out cup holder in the front dash was something more functional. I'd love to have another compartment to thow some stuff in like the portable GPS.

> Are there any "after market" replacements for that center dash cup holder? With the door and center console cup holders I never use it and would love to have another compartment.
    I use the similar tray in my Sienna all the time as well. In fact I wish it had 6 cup holders instead of just 4.

I put my BlackBerry, the wife's, plus a coin dispenser so loose change becomes organized change.

That's 3, so to be honest gimme 7 total so I can still hold 4 cups!
  • I am the mother of two children 1 and 3 both in car seats. My concern is over car seat placement between the two cars. For now most of the time I will be driving with just two children in the car but I was planning on placing at least a one permanent extra car seat for car pool which could easily turn into 2 extra car seat if we have 2 additional kids in the car. In addition, we also could have a third child in the near future which means daily getting to the back row for child placement. It seems that getting to the back row to physically place a child in the car seat is a bit of a hassle in the Sienna.
    I really want leather as fabric stains which nixes that optional 3rd second row seat in the Sienna. Leather means Captains Chairs. So if two children are in car seats in the captains chairs how much room do you have to haul a third child to the back row?

So if people were to plan on having 4 car seats which van would they choose? Do people think the ability to place the two big seats net to each other with a side passthrough in the Odysesy makes it much easier to access the back row with little ones. It seems like it would.

I currently drive a Subaru Outback and would have the tendency to go Toyota Sienna for the AWD option-- I hate to give that up as I LOVE my Subaru but it seems that the interior of the Odyssey is more functional. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    The bigger kids can buckle themselves, so I would not worry about having to climb in to buckle up kids in the 3rd row. Just put the big kids back there.

Or...put the bigger kids in booster seats in the 2nd row. Booster seats are easy to remove, so you can flip and fold the 2nd row captain's chairs (I don't believe you can do that in the Ody) and have wide open access.

With 3 kids I would seriously consider getting a cloth LE model, though. The mess usually ends up on the child safety seat or booster, not on the chairs. Our booster seats get filthy but the seats below are pristine - brand spanking new.

With that model, you can seat 5 people and never need the 3rd row, so you'll use it seldom, only when carrying 4 or more kids.

We have a nanny and 2 kids, and the 3rd row is folded and we enjoy 98 cubic feet of cargo space. Sweet.

I like the idea of being able to move a captain's chair towards the center, but frankly Mazda had a much more elegant solution - you could slide the chair sideways. In the Ody you have to tilt it up, so you can't do that with a child sitting there.

I bet you do not need more than 5 seats most of the time. That's what we find.
  • chuquechuque Posts: 6
    Or (to minivansoon) if leather really is important to you (like it is to me) you can get aftermarket leather on a Sienna LE. I got quotes from the $1200-$1500 range. And I think most people would say aftermarket leather is better than the factory leather.
    I may get some for my Miata. I've seen some beautiful back/blue two-tone seats, and I could add seat heaters. :shades:
  • decondecon Posts: 56
    Is it me or does the Sienna accelerate smoother than the Odyssey. The Odyssey has a little "jolt" before accelerating.
  • hause7hause7 Posts: 153
    We noticed the same thing when we were looking for a replacement for our 04 Sienna we test drove an odyssey and it felt sluggish and when you take your foot off the gas it feels like it slows down way too fast. So we ended up with our 07 Sienna which is a rocket.
    I really liked the interior of the Odyssey, the Sienna felt like a boat. It's a toss up for me still. The rear view mirror on the Odyssey and viewing angles from the driver seat were better.

I don't think I could stand the acceleration not being smooth.
  • fillykonkfillykonk Posts: 17
    We don't notice any acceleration problem in our 09 EX-L at all. There may have been a difference with the 07 model a previous poster seems to have driven (assuming an 07 Ody was compared to the 07 Sienna purchased). I would test drive a couple if you haven't already and take it from there.
  • westk1westk1 Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2009 Odyssey EX. I was very close to getting a Sienna LE when I took a close look at interior seating space. The Odyssey definitely has more leg room in the 2nd and third row for passengers. Also a bit more head room in the third row seat. Since I have three full sized teenagers, this was the deciding factor. The rear cargo area also seems to be slightly bigger. If you look at the Toyota comparison tool which lists the passenger dimensions, you would not think there is much of a difference, but from a practical viewpoint, there really is. I would say that if you are going to used the third row seats for full sized passengers on longer trips, the Odyssey definitely is more comfortable.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,157
    Maybe the Ody is a taller cabin? Seemed to me that the Ody was more like a conventional minivan while the Sienna was kind of like a crossover. Our Ody got prettty noisey from weak door seals and a lack of sound insulation. I was definitely not impressed by the workmanship of the Alabama factory that made it. However, mechanically its been good.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731

I don't see one being more "crossover" than the other. The Odyssey does definitely drive more like a car than a van/truck though.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,157
    I meant that more form the perspective of driving position,etc. For example, the Ody seat seemed to have more up and down travel so it may be taller inside from floor to roof?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Ah... the only thing I've noticed is that the Odyssey has a more carlike feel when navigating around town. Sorry I misunderstood the "crossover" part! :shades:
    The rear cargo area also seems to be slightly bigger

How are you measuring?

The Ody has the spare tire on the side, so it's more narrow back there.

Cargo width is about 49" in the Ody, which is good, but the Sienna clears a full 53". Length is about the same (both fit a 96" sheet of plywood on the floor with the gate closed).

If you go by EPA measures, Sienna had more cargo space behind the 3rd row, behind the 2nd row, and max with all seats removed. You can also fold the front passenger seat flat, for long items, which I don't think the Ody can do. I brought home my deck planks that way and that really came in handy.

For cargo the Sienna wins hands down.
  • toyojunktoyojunk Posts: 19
    Not true almost 5 years later. The Honda Odyssey retains resale value much better than the Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Town & Country, etc.
  • toyojunktoyojunk Posts: 19
    The Odyssey definitely has better leg room and more comfortable seats for ALL passengers but the Sienna has the most cargo room and the Sienna cargo room is more efficiently used by having the air intake for rear air/heater located high on the right side of the cargo area. It is easier to get into 3rd row seats of the Sienna than the Odyssey.

With a Sienna, you choose between 7 or 8 passengers at time of purchase but with the Odyssey, you can have 7 or 8 any time you want. The 8 passenger Sienna does NOT have fold down armrests in the middle row but in the Odyssey, there are fold down armrests for both outer seats. When the Odyssey 2nd row armrests are folded down, the middle passenger in the 3rd row has to be quite small to fit between the 2 folded down armrests. Our 6 year old grand daughter thinks the middle seat fits her just right when the armrests are folded down.

I like the Odyssey spare tire location much better than the Sienna location (which is the same difficult place to access as the Chrysler Town & Country).
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    Hansienna is that you?

Per Edmunds True Cost to Own, a Sienna XLE loses 51.4% of its value versus 49.4% loss of value on the Odyssey EX-L. That's not a big difference if you ask me. I didn't bother to look up the T&C, but forget 5 years... 2008 T&Cs already have a 50% discount around here.
  • ronjackronjack Posts: 2
    Hello,

Does any one have experience with the 2006 Odyssey VCM engine.? Does it really save much gas?

Also, looking at Sienna versus Odyssey 2006 re: passenger power seat. Toyota has one. Does Honda, at all?

Thanks.

Ron
    Another source, ALG, gives both vans the same rating:

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

An average or so rating of 3 stars for the Sienna, but guess what? Ody does no better, also 3 stars.

Having said that, this is one reason why both vans are discounted more nowadays.

My cousin actually paid full MSRP for her Ody (back in 2002 IIRC). $25 grand for an LX, so I'm sure if she goes to trade it in today she'd complain just like hansienna has been (of course that's him).

As for Dodge, they also get 3 stars per that same chart but note that ALG dropped residual values on Chrysler products by 6% as of May 8, 2009, and that's probably not reflected yet.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Posts: 70
    Does any one have experience with the 2006 Odyssey VCM engine.? Does it really save much gas?

On a trip last May from the Philly area to Orlando, I was getting 27+ on most tanks. The flat terrain helped a bunch. (5 adults, 1 kid, luggage for a week.)

On a trip about 3 weeks ago to western Virginia - 300 miles, I got 26+ there and back. Not so flat terrain, but only 3 adults, overnight bags, and several briefcases.

The VCM does help IMHO, but getting and staying in VCM is the trick- speed and terrain. Although the Orlando trip included a lot of miles with my son driving 75 -85 because I was too tired to hit him with a tire iron. I'm still surprised that loaded up behemoth of a van got that kind of mpg.

I'm more in the 18 - 20 mpg range in normal mixed driving.
  • ronjackronjack Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Do you notice any difference in sluggishness when it drops down in cylinders? hen you bought the Odyssey, wre you looking specifically for the VCM option.?
    I test drove the Odyssey EX (no VCM) and the Odyssey EX-L (VCM). The EX seemed more uncomfortable (not as smooth) accelerating. I can detect the VCM cylinder changes in the accelerator going from ECO to regular.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Posts: 70
    I wasn't looking for VCM, but I figured if anyone could engineer it well, it would be Honda or Toyota. I did want leather, so the VCM came along for the ride, so to speak.

Most of the time, I can't detect when it goes in or out of VCM. Occasionally, I think I can, but I'm not really sure.
    FWIW, our friends in Tucson own an Ody with VCM and let me drive it for a day, and I could not tell when VCM was active besides the "ECO" light in the dash.

My complaints were more related to road noise, but the VCM was just fine. Didn't seem to go on very often, though.