Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It is also a Car and Driver "Best Minivan" for its fifth year. The year it didn't win? The new Sienna was out and won, and the Odyssey was on its fifth year!

You can't go wrong with either choice. It's just a matter of personal tastes (softer & comfy or firmer & sporty), although neither is so extreme to one side or the other as to put too many off.
  • Because sienna is used by rental car companies and odyssey is not, so more used are available.

>What did people get rid of their Siennas so soon?
  • Who rents Siennas these days? Before I purchased a new van, I looked a couple times for any rental agency that had one and struck out with all the majors in the area. Toyota has a dealer program that allows rentals subject to availability, but otherwise all I could find was domestics at Hertz, Avis, Dollar, Budget, etc.
    That was the deal at Orlando airport, too...Freestars, Relays, and Gr. Caravans, but no Hondas or Toys.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "Who rents Siennas these days?"

Alamo and Hertz in some regions have Siennas in their stables. I choose Siennas over DGC anytime I have a choice. Never seen an Ody rental though!
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    Actually they used to use them as fleet vehicles here in NYC though I havent seen one lately....then again I havent really looked either.

I always thought it was a pretty good fit instead of the big crown vics, prob get better gas mileage too.
  • winston7winston7 Posts: 11
    Bought a Sienna last year and felt it's well money spend. have been comparing it with the Oddyssey but finally settled for the Sienna. Two(2) major reasons, the price factor and the seat factor. With the latter it seats comfortably and the middle row uses three seperate seats which can be removed one at a time. It can also be adjusted back and forth. Unlike the Oddyssey which makes use of a small inserted seat at the middle of two large seats which cannot be moved forward or backward. Defenitely dont want to settle for american cars because of its price fluctuation lately which makes its resale value so low.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    For the second year in a row the 2006 Honda Odyssey is Motorweek's pick for minivan of the year.

That's great if the Odyssey is a van that will do everything you want it to do. If not, it doesn't mean much.
  • mschukarmschukar Posts: 351
    If safety is really your "most important decision point" and you drive in snow/ice, winter tires will serve you better than AWD.

Simple question: Have you ever been in an accident because you couldn't go? How about because you couldn't stop in time?

AWD helps you go, that's it. Winter tires help you go, stop and handle better.

-murray
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    AWD helps you go, that's it. Winter tires help you go, stop and handle better

Yup.

AWD and other safety systems only manage the existing grip, they do not increase grip. Winter tires do however.
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    Simple question: Have you ever been in an accident because you couldn't go? How about because you couldn't stop in time?

AWD helps you go, that's it. Winter tires help you go, stop and handle better.

Not entirely true, but I do generally agree with you. AWD has its place, but in very limited low traction conditions which most people almost never encounter. I live in a heavy snow area in E WA on the top of a hill. I recently sold a 4x4 Suburban in which I only used the 4x4 to go down the hill. One morning I was going down the hill slowly in 2nd gear and shifted down into 1st gear and managed to lock up all the wheels and go into a slide. Since I did not have my foot on the break I quickly got out of the slide, but it was pretty unpleasant. I very rarely needed the 4x4 to get up the hill.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Why not just use the brakes and let the ABS keep you from skidding? Down shifting can (as you know) make the wheels loose traction.
    i dont think Oddyssey is the best compared to the Sienna coz you have to look at the price comparison. If toyopta would be selling its van at the same price with Honda I think it would be better in its features. Just think of the eight seater of Honda which slides in a small seat in the second row which is outrageous. Its like they just thought forgot all about it and just fit a small seat to make it a eight seater, RIDICULOUS!
    Umm, ok. Care to elaborate?
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    Probably Sienna owners with buyers remorse, LOL.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    Why not just use the brakes and let the ABS keep you from skidding?

On ice and snow, ABS offers very little help. Winter tires are MUCH better than all of these advanced safety systems combined. These systems can only manage the existing grip. They cannot increase grip. The best way to go is winter tires. These tires work so well. My Honda Accord on winter tires can plow through icy hills/roads better than the best AWD SUV on all seasons.

Of course, in less severe winter conditions. Good all seasons are ok, but do not offer the reassuring grip that winter tires give.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Exactly - winter tires are better for going downhill. That is why the brakes will help more than downshifting.
    no remorse on this one but just a simple analogy. First and foremost when you want to compare two things and derive a fair and justly comparison those two things should have same quality or standards. Just like if you want to compare which fruit is the best, you cant compare an apple with a watermelon even though both of them are fruits coz you cant derive an exact analogy out of it. Many factors are involve. So much so about Oddyssey and Sienna. Prive wise Oddyssey is much much expensive than Sienna. Putting that into sense, more price means more accessories, power, adds. etc can be included. Would you not think if Sienna would be at that price it wouldnt have more add ons, etc. So think rationally. I know for a fact that these two cars have the best quality do dont feel bad about my opinion for the oddyssey, Im just trying to put a fair and just comparison!
  • 05ody05ody Posts: 103
    Have you ever sat in that seat? its better then you think and was actually thought out very well alot of people perfer that seat apposed to the 8th seat in the Sienna. I do. I dont use it very much so it is more comfortable for the captian chairs with the arm rests. And when I do use the 8th seat, it is comfortable. I think with the Sienna LE you only get 1 power sliding rear door is rediculas. Why would you put 1 and not 2? and to boot the LE I was looking at was more then my Odyssey!