Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    Is satellite radio available on the 05 Sienna? What do you need to order to get it?
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 839
    $1,795 for an extended warranty on a product as reliable as a Honda seems exorbitant. I paid about $800 for 7/100K Toyota warranty (zero deductible) on my '04 Sienna. Unless you need to finance this warranty by rolling it into the purchase price, I'd wait and buy it just before your 3/36K warranty expires. Who knows, you may not own this car for 7/100K. 'Things' happen--and not always as we plan. If you were to total this vehicle at 28,000 miles, for example, your insurance company sure won't be reimbursing you for the extended warranty you paid for and never used.
  • You might want to have some facts to back up your unsolicited financial advice.

Actually, once it was every 2 years. These numbers are rough but here goes Mr. Helper...

New 97 Mercury Villager w/sales tax 19,100 drove 24 months sold to a private party for 15,400...$154 a month.

New 99 Honda Odyssey LX w/sales tax 24,780 drove 32 months traded in on an 02 Odyssey EX for $18,900...$184 a month.

New 02 Honda Odyssey LX difference of 8725, driven for 27 months...$323 a month. Currently still driving and will be trading sometime before the end of the year and will get another great deal.

Thanks, but I am doing just fine, Mr. Helper.

What did your response have to do with Sienna vs. Odyssey?
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    "Ok Toyota fans, let's hear about your NAV please....

Let's see, does this Sienna get rear disc brakes or not..... I know this Odyssey gets disc brakes all around, as well as standard VSA, 3 row curtain bags, dual stage front bags, side bags... Oh wait, that's standard safety equipment on ALL 05 Odysseys. Safety for everyone. Honda's Hybrid Civic comes 1 way, the Prius has 9 packages...

Just some info on how well Toyota operates and gets it done... Get er dun as the rednecks say...

You are a cool dad they go home to mom and dad saying that the Smiths 2005 Odyssey kicks our new Sienna's butt. Had to put that jab in there...

Aren't you Revit under a different name? You seem to have your foot in the mouth too... :-)
  • jsmath5jsmath5 Posts: 77
    Quit whining and bring some information to the table; not hot air. I am not Revit. I know the facts on both models...DO YOU?!?!?

BTW, all Odysseys with Navigation come with satellite...STANDARD. All other 05 Odysseys are satellite ready, just add it.
    Sounds like Honda quoted you a high price on the warranty, and Toyota low balled you on theirs. Did you pay sticker for the Toyota? Did you finance it with the dealership. Lots of things play into the warranty game, BTW, a warranty is cheaper when the vehicle is brand new and has low miles, if it goes out of factory warranty and you get an extended warranty it will double. Was it a comprehensive with towing, road service, rental car, trip interruption? Does the Toyota warranty cover seals and gaskets, most do not. Did you know that? We sell a totally different warranty than the extended manufacturer warranty, you really need to see what your getting. Is it just drive train or entire vehicle? Also the warranty company will pro rate and credit you back for the unused portion should you wreck, total, or sell or trade your warrantied vehicle.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    samnoe, wish I could take credit for the statement, but I can't. Looks like just another consumer who sees the Toyota Sienna for what it is....though I do agree with the posting that Toyota makes it too difficult on all the numerous variations...keep it simple.

Way to go Honda!
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    Then the salesman probably does have any Sienna's equipped with it on the lot...seems to be the problem with many Toyota dealerships.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    You're entitled to your own opinion (tell me "thank you"!), it just the way you write, the language you speak. Keep it cool and simple. No butts, stinks, blow away, etc. etc... you get the picture.

You have some good information too, though.

:-)
  • soyyo1soyyo1 Posts: 18
    I got a Sienna 2005 ,,I got it in Boston,,,,Thanks to Honda I pay after tax $40 and little be...with nav/dvd/flormat/all the little gadge...Honda think they got all that,,Gets what
    Toyota still toyota and wil be toyota..honda need to cach up..Oh the odyssey is just honda,,nothing else
  • indy93indy93 Posts: 97
    Socal...Slate is like several new honda colors...they change with the time of day. Slate is light/med sliver in the shade with a slight green cast. At night it's a medium steel grey (nice). Sun light not sure silver? Sort of like the Midblue.. night it's black, day it's blue with a purple cast. Black is black at night but.. has a green cast in the afternoon. Sage is darker this year than last, I don't see much green in it at all... the only dead color.others seem to have different appearances depending on the time of day. Slate green in the catalog is similar in the moving shot and is the middle one in the 3 ody spread. ( night-like appearance as far as I can tell)
  • mikamika Posts: 7
    I have read several reports on a wind noise coming from 05 Honda oddy. Does any one experience this wind noise? And what about 05 Toyota sienna? I am thinking about van soon, but I would like to hear the real story from real owners out there, instead of listening to 'sweet' talk from a dealer. All feedback is greatly appreciated!
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 839
    Toyota didn't low-ball me. I was a well-informed customer, and knew dealer cost of the Toyota Extra Care 7/100/zero warranty. And no, I didn't pay sticker. I paid $2,000 off MSRP for an XLE AWD early in 2004--a terrific price at the time on a very high-demand vehicle.
  • "You are a cool dad"

That's me right there!
    I can see my two little daughters saying, "Do that again daddy. That is so cool!"

Yeah, voice recognition has limitations everywhere, but it's just a matter of getting used to it.
    And the map data with all the house numbers is not the fault of the NAV. You have this same problem in the Lexus NAV too.
    My house number is NOT recognized either in any NAV systems I've tried---Lexus, Infiniti, Acura!
    My house is 3 years old.
    Now my brother's house is 2 years old, and my '03 Ody's NAV has his house number/address.
  • Man, I'll be playing with the Ody's NAV everyday and know by hard.
    Too cool and too sexy for the Sienna.

I tried out the NAV on the Lexus GX470. You can say, "Mexican Restaurant", "Gas Station", etc., but you canNOT give any street numbers or control the A/C, Radio, and definitely NOT the RES.
  • I do love the fact that EVERY SINGLE Honda on EVERY LOT has the EXACT same sticker price corresponding to that EXACT model.
    You don't ever have to worry about a million extra options and add-ons like you do with Toyota.

It's a lot easier for me to deal with Honda than with Toyota because I can say so and so offered me this price, and it would be exactly the same model and exact same equipment so the dealer cannot say, "But our Sienna has this and that and their Sienna does not."
    I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying. The Honda's navi is great..say no more...no one in the industry can touch it NOW!!!!
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    i'm always hearing conflicting numbers?
    what is it?
    Honda Accord 2003-2005 180 Voice Commands

Honda Odyssey 2005 over 600 voice commands, that's like 605 in reality, don't know, I haven't counted them.

Hope this help.
    If you spent 40K on a 4wd Sienna, they should sell you a warranty at cost, just good business practice, this business is give and take. If you bought an Ody at sticker in the past and want a new one, we usually try to get an extra $500 or so over book on trade in. The least we can do for repeat customers. You get the idea, special treatment.
  • Is it just me or does the new Odyssey look like a Kia Sedona?
    We have an 04 Sienna LTD.
    I can't say enough good things about our 'space ship' as I like to call it.
    All the gadgets make you forget you spent $37K on a MINI VAN..
    Did you get AWD and Navi and DVD? I hope so, 38,810 gets you a FWD Touring R & N Odyssey spaceship with 600 Voice commands, 255 HP, backup sensors, fog lights, power rear hatch, 20/28 MPG on regular unleaded. Wait, you got all that but no 4WD on your Sienna, help me here.. AWD Sienna is like $42K correct?
  • "I got a Sienna 2005 ,,I got it in Boston,,,,Thanks to Honda I pay after tax $40 and little be...with nav/dvd/flormat/all the little gadge...Honda think they got all that,,Gets what
    Toyota still toyota and wil be toyota..honda need to cach up..Oh the odyssey is just honda,,nothing else"

Say what?

The only thing nice about the Sienna are the Laser Cruise Control, gated shifter, nice quiet ride, and reliability.

The Ody tops the Sienna in Chrome, Instrument panel, NAV, CD changer, DVD RES, XM radio; and pretty much matches the Sienna in nice quiet ride & reliability.

In the seating comfort department, the Ody has memory seats and powered pedal while the Sienna has powered passenger and manual telescopic steering wheel, so it's kind of a toss-up, although I much rather have memory seats than power passenger since I'm the driver:-)
  • Exactly 637 voice commands.
    Well, actually, one paper I read said, "Over 637 voice commands", which is more specific than "over 600 voice commands.

Hey, wait a minute.
    Are you just joking around?
  • "Is it just me or does the new Odyssey look like a Kia Sedona?"

I don't know, but I would be interested in seeing the 2006 Sedona and 2007 Hyundai minivan, which are supposed to be "Luxury" minivans.

All minivans look pretty similar, which is overall pretty ugly compared to BMWs.

Somebody needs to make a minivan that LOOKS like a BMW SUV.
    Word is, BMW is working on a minivan for 2007 which will hopefully totally blow the "minivan ugly image".
    637 Sounds correct, I don't know the exact number.
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    how did you find me out? :)

but seriously, i love to hear about all the lovely options on all our new toys!
  • I got DVD NAV all of it..
    I have to say the NAV in my 04 Accord is much more functional for me than the NAV in my Sienna..
  • So you bought a Sienna last year and every other mini-van looks ugly?

Please grow up!!!
  • "how did you find me out? :)
    but seriously, i love to hear about all the lovely options on all our new toys!"

I think the "2000 voice commands" gave it away:-)

I think Toyota needs to come out with a Progammable Bluetooth 2000 Voice Commands Life Traffic Report NAV to compete:-)