Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    Sure, drivers are the untimately cause of most all crashes. Even so, there's no changing drivers in our society
    This is where mandatory insurance comes in. If you drive really really badly, you will be priced out of insurance so that you cannot drive. Now all the police need to do is enforce the insurance laws rigorously and the streets will be much safer.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    So one would think. Until you see stories like this one that occurred in our county recently:

http://www.cliffordlaw.com/news/clifford-headlines/speed-cited-as-factor-in-2018- - - 05-crash-killing-3-west-chicago-wreck-is-ruled-accident

One would think that with a Ferrari and 24 citations over 9 years, insurance premiums would be crushing for a 27 year old male... Maybe he was rich or simply didn't have insurance despite the law requiring it in Illinois?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Key word in that is "with a Ferrari." If a 27 year old has a Ferrari, he's obviously not average ecnomically relative to most 27 year old males. Or any other people, for that matter.
    Lol. I knew a few people who bought exotic sports cars right after college even though they couldn't really afford them. I guess for some, status and speed are more important than eating...
  • 05ody05ody Posts: 103
    I know sometimes the power sliding doors can be slow and a real pain in the a$$ when your in a hurry, and although the power can be shut off I find they are heavy. But even with the power to the doors off, if you do not completlly shut the door, it shuts itself! haha really neat when I first seen that. I do wish we got a compass in our Odyssey though, that would of been a nice touch with the Temp gague. :(
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    As a youth sports event gathered tonight I noticed I was seated next to four mom-type Ody owners; one EX, two EX-L, two Touring (including ours). It was like a coincidental meeting of some Ody-yuppie-club. Odd part is three were Sage Brush and two Slate Green. Anyway, the 10 minutes spent comparing ideas, features, knowledge (and lack of) was the most enriching I've ever had since I don't own any collectible vehicles. None of us are dissatisfied with our choices and all have at least 5 months of ownership. Here are some of THEIR many comments/observations as I've more than expressed my appreciation for the '06 O-T:
    Consensus was mileage was about 19 city, 22-24 highway. Nobody got the rated 28 highway MPG but we all come close to the 20 city. All but one of the owners, us included, never thought they'd own much less enjoy a minivan. One had already owned an earlier Ody and loved it. All could identify with the Ody as a 'minivan haters minivan'. Four of the five compared the Ody to competing models of minivans and SUV's ranging from domestics (T&C, Ford, Tahoe, Endeavor, Escalade), European (Volvo XC-90, M/B new wagon, BMW), Far Eastern genre (Sienna, Sedona, Mazda). All agreed the Ody clincher was it has the best handling and zip. Sedanlike was the word of the day. I asked what they did/didn't like about the Sienna as it's darn close is so many areas. The answer from three was it felt strained where the Ody just growls and goes. One lady who has to pull out into 60MPH plus traffic to leave home said the Ody was the only one that could get it done without feeling like it would blow up. Being the other Touring owner she also liked the peace of mind PAX tires. Three with NAVI use and like it. One wished they got a Touring, another wanted leather. While I enlightened them to many features I asked probing questions without injecting my own opinions, letting them spout off freely while taking mental notes. I could go on but don't want to bore the Sienna advocates further. I'm sure any gathering of similar vehicles would have about the same results. No offense to Toyota or other competitors but at least in our little corner of NW FL, the Ody wins as Best Available Road King (aka BARK). Who let the Ody's out?...WOOOF, WOOOF-WOOOF! <-- Please add two points for tying in the stupid joke post title to the ending.
  • vaskiervaskier Posts: 3
    Does anyone have experience with the Toyota Sienna Laser Cruise Contol? I am considering buying a Sienna Limited but was concerned that the cruise control may be over-automated. Can the laser feature be turned off so the cruise can be used in "normal mode"? Thanks for your help.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    Yes, it can be toggled between Laser and Normal mode. The Laser mode will not work in the rain and if the lens is dirty, and you will have to use the regular mode if you want.

In moderate traffic and dry weather, it can be quite nice. Too many curves can lead it to consider a vehicle in the next lane over (depending on the curve) in the same lane and can have issues, but otherwise generally works well.
  • happyharryhappyharry Posts: 22
    1) Does anyone know of next year's Sienna van may come with more powerful engine (at least to measure up to Odyssey's) and C/W full size spare tire for the AWD models? (Too many bad comments about those run-flats)

2) Any chance Toyota may consider offering mini-vans again? Not everyone needs a maxi-van! :confuse:
  • ginamcdginamcd Posts: 2
    We're looking at the 8 passenger Sienna (LE) and Odyssey (EX). Do you have the link to your comparison at epinions?
    Sadly, free information exchange via links is not allowed on these forums. It's in the 2006 Honda Odyssey category. There's only a handful of full reviews, so it should be pretty obvious. If not, check my profile for email.
  • ginamcdginamcd Posts: 2
    Found it! Thanks--it was very helpful.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Links are allowed here -- you can't promote another online auto community, but we encourage you to share information that'll help other members. Link away :-)

Claire

HOST

Excellent. I'll keep this post bookmarked in case I ever get a warning for linking a non-auto community lol.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Well... you can't promote anything that might make you money either -- like your business, your eBay ad, etc. :) But otherwise, feel free.

Claire

HOST

Ah- that would indeed rule out Epinions, then.
  • 3kids4me3kids4me Posts: 8
    Sooooo much of it comes down to personal preference in creature comforts, what options you want (Toyota has I think 17-18 option packages, and Honda has them all bundled into the different models).

We bought an 06 Ody EX-L RES, and my brother and SIL just bought an 06 Sienna LE w/ DVD and upgraded sound system.

My husband and I love our Ody, and my bro and his wife love their Sienna, BUT they both say they wish they had a sun roof and dual automatic doors (only their passenger side door is automatic, driver side is manual) I am not missing anything with my Ody. It's got it all!

You should go to the Toyota dealer and grab a Sienna to test drive, have your wife go to Honda and grab an Ody, then meet up in an empty parking lot somewhere so you can do a literal side-by-side comparison and drive both immediately.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Thanks for the advice.. The verdict is in and we purchased an 06 Odyssey EX-L..

We liked the Sienna, but the Odyssey had all the features we wanted at a better price. We also preferred the handling and performance of the Odyssey to that of the Sienna.

For the record, we drove the Odyssey/Sienna/Town and Country/ and the 06 Kia Sedona back to back... The Odyssey was our favorite..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Congratulations on your new wheels.

I also prefer the handling of the Odyssey to that of the Dodge and Toyota...it drives about like an Accord, which is one of the best handling sedans in its price range.
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    Even as a proud '06 Ody Touring owner I continue to compare the latest models in the hopes I'll find something I like better. I agree with statements that the Ody is Accord-like, maybe they should call it the Accordessy or the Accord-wagon? I recently drove a Toy'Sienna XLE Limited and although it was lovely, it remains van-like and the package goulash sickens me. I am impressed with certain gee-whiz features like the distance keeping cruise and Blue-tooth, MP3 compatability. I was excited to try a Sedona as it is supposedly the safest vehicle on the road this year IAW informedforlife.com. Unfortunately I feel it was an unsuccessful attempt to copy an Ody moreso than the Sienna. I commend the Koreans for raising their bar and having a great 'value'. Value to me though is more than a laundry list of one-upmanship features. It takes polish and finish, something this frequent test driver feels the Ody wins at over all others including the Kia and Toyota offerings. Maybe '07 will change the game?