Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• gmechocgmechoc Posts: 4
    I find it interesting that you say people get car sick. That is the first thing I experienced with I rode shotgun in the Sienna. I thought maybe it was just me. Does the new 2011 model ride the same way? We are struggling between an Odyssey and Sienna.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Because Odysseys are awesome and Siennas stink

but seriously I have driven my Ody for several hours at a time on highways and I find the ride to be just fine. To me, a more floaty ride is much more tiring as you're constantly having to correct the car to stay going in a roughly straight line. I haven't found the bumps to be too harsh....but then again I have always owned Hondas and BMWs, and never Toyotas or Buicks, so you know which side of the debate I naturally fall on......
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,953
    They weren't PLEASED!

They cam came back to me and bought Odysseys or Accords !Yes, Hondas have more road noise than Toyotas do and some people are bothered by this. I have had two different customers actually bring decimal meters and compared. The Toyotas are a buit quietier but not that much. The noisy tires that Honda insists on using have a lot to do with this.

"Sineea rides better". Totally subjective. If a softer floaty ride is what you want then yes, they ride better. If you want a connection with the road and better handling, Honda wins.

I guess this is why restaurants have menus. Everybody has a diffrent idea about what is good.
  • I just got a 2011 Sienna XLE yesterday. For me the new Toyota is a win on ride and steering, but as others said it's a matter of preference.

One of the things I liked a lot more on the new Sienna is the brakes. They're tight and feel like they have good stopping power like my former sedan. I tried a few Odysseys, and I thought the brakes felt very mushy and when stopping I felt more like stopping a big heavy truck than a car. I think Honda has a recall currently for fixing an issue where the brakes get mushy over time, but I had the same feeling when test driving new 2010 Odysseys too.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They weren't PLEASED!

They cam came back to me and bought Odysseys or Accords !

That's not what you said. You wrote:

I have lost sales to Sienna becasue some people like a mushy, floaty ride.

Noone likes a mushy ride. That's simply absurd.

Sienna buyers enjoy the cloud-like isolation and tomb-like silence that makes it restful for a baby to sleep and perfect for the kids to watch a movie in the back seat.

If you had a slipped disk in your spine, would you want the tighter suspension, or the cloud-like isolation?

Everybody has a diffrent idea about what is good

Yes, but even compliments you pay are back-handed. Shame on you.
    edited April 2010
    I haven't driven the 2011 models yet, but I'd say you should try the SE model.

At this point, though, I'd wait to see the 2011 Odyssey, since it's so close.
  • .... and why there are different types of mattresses!
    For the record, I sleep on my side and need a softer mattress.

My mom sleeps on her back and needs a firm one!

I've never referred to my mattress as "mushy", however. Mashed potatoes are mushy, my mattress is accommodating.
  • daddylikesdaddylikes Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Well actually the person who tried to sell me an '08 Odyssey called the brakes "like soap".

Anyway, I'm sure Honda will strike back later in the year with the '11 Oddy, but right now I love the Sienna most. The Oddy's sideway's sliding seat would have been nice though.
    edited April 2010
    Well, let me carefully choose my words so I won't offend you.

Yes, I said that. Let me clarify.

I have LOST sales because some people preferred the ride of a Sienna.

I have MADE sales because some people didn't like the ride of a Sienna.

O.K.?

I totally don't get your last comment.

Everybody DOES have different preferences. It doesn't mean that people who feel differently are wrong. The mattress comment was a good one.

What you call "isolated", I call "mushy" or "floaty"

Lastly, I think everyone should drive what they like, not what someone else thinks they should drive.
    The Oddy's sideway's sliding seat

You can lift it and move it over, but the only one that actually slid over was Mazda's side-by-slide seats from the defunct MPV.

That was a nice feature that competitors should have copied.
    I feel like ride vs handling is usually a trade-off. In most cases to improve one you sacrifice the other.

Lexus makes cars that ride smoothly but many of them can't handle worth a darn. The exception is the IS-F, which handles great, but has a brittle ride that'll loosen your fillings. It's all about trade-offs, preferences as you mentioned.

C&D scored the Ody one point higher (out of 10) for handling, and the Sienna one point better for ride. I agree, in fact that about sums it up nicely.

I haven't driven the 2011s. Supposedly the new Sienna handles better, and the SE has quicker steering ratio (all models have quicker steering, the SE more so). Maybe when the new Ody arrives I'll drive them both, I'm just not in the market right now.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,395
    Speaking of which, has anybody heard when the SE will hit the lots? Has anyone seen one yet?

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Just looked and Fitz has 4 Limiteds, a bunch of XLEs, and even more LEs.

No SEs yet, good point actually.
  • nobonobo Posts: 305
    edited April 2010
    I had one salesman tell me he was to have one start production April 2, 2011. I don't know if has arrived at dealership yet.
    What is so different about the SE?
    Different suspension and steering.

Previews were positive, but let's see the production models.
    well, every lot I have been in has them. I think I will have to test drive one and see if it is still a soft ride.
    If they decide to firm up the ride, they will please some and lose others.

I just hope they continue to configure their seats as they have them now and I hope Honda doesn't mess wht their current system too much.
    In that case maybe my local dealer sold out of the SEs first.
    So you have seen several SE model Siennas?
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    SE styling a little too ghetto for me - trying a little too hard to be "cool"

Its a minivan guys.....just accept that fact and move on......
    I don't mind it, but I know what you mean.

To be honest styling was #72 on my priority list when shopping for my van, right behind headliner texture. :D

Space, # of Seats, Comfort, Efficiency, and Power to haul it all were my priorities.

I like the "Swagger Wagon" ads because they sort of poke fun at the coolness factor. Would you really look cool getting out of an SUV with a diaper bag on your shoulder? ;)
  • Fitz is now showing 2 SE's coming, one black and one white. Both are selling for close to sticker so looks like it'll be a little while before they're discounted.
    That'll last a day.

Ok, maybe 3 days.
  • No thanks. Unless I decide to transport only adults some day.
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    Yeah, for today only, you can pay $18 more to buy the Sienna I4 base than the Sienna V6 base ($25015 vs $24997)! Won't last long.
    They must be in the middle of updating pricing.

I'll take the V6. ;)
    Do they make 4 cylinder Siennas??

If they do, I've never seen one.
    4 cylinder Sienna new for 2011. They were supposed to start production of the SE version and the 4 cylinder versions April 2010.