Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

1171172173174175177»

Comments

• jimbob1jimbob1 Posts: 70
    2) I have been told to go 2005 or younger on the Odyssey - based on this should I skip looking at this vehicle?

I'd be concerned about pre-2005 Odysseys due to the significant transmission problems many of them had. You can probably search the forums here for details.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Wasn't the latest update to the Ody transmission applied for MY2007? Maybe you can find a higher mileage, newer one.

With Siennas, just avoid any pre-2004 models. The 1MZ V6 was the sludgy engine, 2003 and prior models. 04-06 had the 3MZ V6, which was fine. 07+ got the 2GR and has also been fine.

I'd recommend 07+ Ody and 04+ Sienna.

I went from a 98 Forester to a 2007 Sienna and we've been happy.

We did miss the AWD so we got a 2009 Forester as well. :shades:
  • berriberri Posts: 4,179
    The Ody got a transmission update for 04. The earliest models didn't have it out of the factory, but there was a service bulletin for dealer's to update it. It supposedly resolved the 2nd gear issue and Consumer Report reliability charts seem to confirm this. In fact, the 04 looks better than many of the later model Ody's in CU. I think the biggest issue with Ody's in general is noise. Of course, early Sienna models had some issues as well, although I don't think they involved the tranny - more hardware, power doors. etc. An 04 is now 6 years old and given all the stuff on minivans, you are probably going to experience some problems down the road regardless of which one you choose
    Didn't it get further revisions later, derived from the Ridgeline? I thought that came out in 06 and the Ody got them for 07.

Maybe it did, but you're correct, CR shows an improvement even back in 04.

So 04 or newer for both is a good rule of thumb.
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    edited June 2010
    Newscast just said that the 11 Ody's center seat in the 2nd row will be 4" wider than current one.

And, yes, Juice, you're right, the 07 Ody had a second improvement to the tranny (the Ridgeline 3 shaft one), but there still are complaints on shudders.

Otherwise, claim for MPG is still 19city / 28 hwy

Datasheets / transcript:
    http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5482
    http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5481
    Very nice, I remember that was an early rumor, the wide seat that is. Still no interior pics? For me that feature was crucial.

Ultra wide screen, looks like they'll match the swagger wagon's. Cool box, too, is new, sorta Chrysler-ish.

No AWD or power 3rd row?

I gotta bookmark your link because I don't have time to read that whole story right now, but thanks.
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    edited June 2010
    imagehttp://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=905098/11ody_pr-005.jpg
    Middle seat looks similar to current one, with what looks to be a wider base, but narrower back. The trick, I think, is that the outbound seats can move out, thereby providing more space for like a car seat in the middle.

More pics here:
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=905098
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,376
    edited June 2010
    Snacker put up the link for the full Honda site for the 2011 Ody on the 2011 thread. You can click here.

Interior looks pretty clever.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,179
    Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed in both of these minivan '11 restyles. The Sienna interior is chintzy and looks like it could have been designed by GM several years ago. I'll have to see the Honda in person, but the pictures make it look like a salvage yard welded 3 different vehicles together.
  • fxguyfxguy Posts: 132
    Wow, the exterior of the 2011 Odyssey is really revolting. Sienna takes the "good looking" crown in my opinion.
    Well, I'm disappointed. While the 8th seat is 4" wider, per the videos, it could have been wider still - by far.

In wide mode, you end up with 2" gaps between the seats, which means stuff will fall down to the ground. They should have just made the center seat 4" wider and used wide mode all the time.

Comfort slide = Front and Center on my 2007 Sienna, except the seat appears to be 11-13" wide or so. My seat is a full 20" wide. It's still a night-and-day difference.

Any how, it is significantly better than the outgoing Ody's 8th seat and even looks better than the new Sienna's, plus no base to get tangled up in between the seats.

Overall, though:

old Sienna > new Ody > new Sienna > old Ody

For seating arrangements.

Honda did manage to keep the outer arm rests, at least. Plus that arrangement will come on "select models", same problem with Toyota where not all models get it.

Honda added stuff Sienna's had for a while - I have puddle lights and power lumbar on my 07 LE. They also get a big rims (18", though Sienna offers 19") and ultra-wide screen to counter the swagger wagon.

I have plenty of questions...

1. Does the 2nd row tumble forward? In the video it didn't.
    2. Where the spare? That model had run-flats, what about others?
    3. Is the lazy susan gone, then?
    4. Powertrain - HP? Trans?

Styling is subjective and would be a very low priority for me in this class, but count me in the camp that thinks the rear 1/3rd of this vehicle seems like it's falling off. The whole back of it sags. The black rear spoiler at the top/rear doesn't help - it should at least be body color.

Front view is the best. Rear is OK, if a bit bland. Again, though, who really cares. The interior looks great, but I have to see it/touch it. The Sienna looked improved but feels worse.

They still haven't hidden the sliding door seam. I guess they kept the door track low to add space to the 3rd row, but it really slices and dices the profile view.

28mpg sounds amazing, let's see when powertrain details come out.

So, mixed feelings overall. The 8th seat was crucial to me, and I wouldn't be happy with either of these, though this Ody does seem better than the new Sienna. Still, I'd get a left over or CPO 2010 Sienna to get a real, 20" wide seat instead, and pass on the bling-bling big rims and flashy but overpriced entertainment options (Toyota wants $2500 for theirs).
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,012
    A reporter for a major daily newspaper is looking for someone in the market currently for a minivan or soon to be in the market. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by July 7, 2010.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Sienna actually outsold Odyssey for the first time....ever maybe?

9,357 Siennas vs. 9,271 Odys in June.

Of course the new Ody is right around the corner, but with the price advantage on the Honda now I didn't expect that to happen.
  • abbyroseabbyrose Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I will tell you that the new Odyssey looks really sharp and sleek in person. It really almost (I said almost) doesn't look like a traditional Minivan. There is just something about the way it looks in person. Comparing the Honda and Toyota I think the Sienna is a little bit 'clunky' looking in person. I hate the reclining seats in the Sienna too.

Honda vs Toyota
  • abbyroseabbyrose Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I think the new Odyssey looks WAY better in person than the old one. It just seems to look 'tougher' to me.
    Honda vs Toyota
  • inspectoringinspectoring Posts: 102
    Well the the reclining seats can't be reclined while the car is in motion. So its really not that helpful.
  • nobonobo Posts: 305
    Where were you to be fortunate enough to see one in person?
  • this is a potential answer to the swagger wagon - admittedly grassroots and regular guy oriented and not commissioned by Honda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbN442jDlHw
  • old thread, don't care.

it is 2013 and I just bought a 2008 sienna with 87k on it.

Bells and whistles?
    sporty feel?

its a mini-van.

The comparison of every minivan in circulation and Sienna is simple.

Sienna = AWD
    all other vans = not

In VT all that matters is vehicle effectiveness, this sienna gets into traffic quick, does not spin out when throttled, has enough space for me 6' 2" 350lbs to get in and out comfortably, and sleep in it if i want.

the only van better than a sienna is a previa!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Bells and whistles?
    sporty feel?

its a mini-van.

Some people want the feel of a car (at least mildly more sporty than a typical van), but can't afford two vehicles. For those people, an Odyssey is a great compromise. They drive like a big Accord.