Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    Go ahead and buy the olds minivan which is the cadillac minivan. Good luck.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    My best guess would be to use data from a residual value lease guide. Here’s a link
    http://www.alg.com/news-information.asp?page=news_depreciation_ra- - tings
  • It's been seen by some customers. Touring MSRP plus Destination charge is $35,010. That does not include DVD nor Navi. Just like the XLE Limited.
  • I test drove a 05 Ody EX-L w/ RES and a 04 Sienna Limited back to back today. (I wanted to test drive a XLE w/ pkg 15 but they don't have that. Here is my comparison:

What I liked the most about the Ody over Sienna: The engine was really smooth, responsive, and powerfull, the handling was excellent for a van. The pickup of the Ody was very good. In comparison, the Sienna was a joke - weak engine and coushy handling. When I tried to gain some speed while merging to the freeway, the Sienna did not respond much. So I push the gas pedal a bit more down, this time, the Sienna's engine rev'd up too high and too soon, caused a big jerking feel - very unpleasant.

I also liked the Ody power sliding doors better than the Sienna's. I felt they were more sensitive to pressure.

The tailgate of the Ody was not as heavy as I thought originally. I thought it was a deal-breaker for us because the EX-L lacked the power tailgate. But it was very easy for my preganant wife to close it. Thus this "must have" item is off her list now.

It was a breeze to fold down the 3rd row seats, easier than Sienna, and much easier than the 2nd gen Ody.

What I liked the least of the Ody were the steering wheel - I can't believe it's not leather-wrapped for a $30k+ vehicle, just rediculous. I also felt the Ody was much smaller than the Sienna. I knew it was smaller in dimention just a bit, but I guess the interior color of the Ody, which was a dark gray, did help either. It made the van feel smaller than it actually should. But in any case, I like the Ivory interior better, just need to see one in person.

Both me and my wife felt the Ody's driver side seat was not as comfy as the Sienna's. The lumber support wasn't that good.

I also felt that the visibility to the left rear side was poor when changing lane to the left. The dealership put the window sticker on the 2rd row driver side window. So when I was merging to the freeway, I could not see anything when turned my head to the left. So I rolled down the 2nd row window, it was better, but still not as good as the Sienna's.
  • There hasn't been much mention on the '05 Sienna, so here are some details. Seems like the option packages have been simplified a little:

Specs:
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2005toyotakit/2005_Sienna_s.- - pdf

Features:
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2005toyotakit/2005_Sienna_f.- - pdf

Options:
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2005toyotakit/2005_Sienna_o.- - pdf
  • pluto: Here's some advice, speaking from experience. Don't let your wife make a vehicle decision until she has the baby. I thought I wanted an automatic Accord when I found out I was pregnant so that's what I traded my 03 Accord coupe 5-speed for. I thought a minivan was unnecessary as well. 7 months later I bought an Odyssey and then traded my 04 Accord EXL automatic for a 2004 Accord EXL manual.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    MY wife might actually consider the Sienna again, sinc eyou can now get the power drivers seat on the LE. Of course, now that the Ody EXL has the moonroof, that pretty much upped the ante to the XLE.

It will be interesting to see what the resl-world Sienna pricing ends up being. If the LE package 6 (safety stuff + power seat) has TMV in the 26-27 range (like today), it might make it hard to justify the EX-L at 4-5K more.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I have driven a Suburban for years, but I'm now ready to try a Minivan. I've finally convinced my husband that we are now middle-aged geezers with 3 kids and it's time to move on. The one feature of a minivan that is very important to me, is the 60/40 split in the 3rd seat. Since we need 5 seats, this would give us much more cargo space...the one thing I do hate giving up with the Suburban. So from what I've researched, this really limits my options to Chrysler, Toyota or 2005 Honda. Am I right on this? I drove a 2004 Toyota, and really liked it. I'm very used to driving my tank, so this was quite a change. Next I drove a Town and Country, and I just couldn't do it. I suffer from motion sickness very easily, and this thing had me queasy in 30 seconds on the road. I don't know if it was because I had no hood to look out onto (like in a Suburban) or if it was the curve of the windshield. A couple of people have said that different vehicles bothered them if the windshield curved too much. I am waiting to drive the new Honda to see if this creates a problem. I'm not sure why the Sienna didn't bother me. I probably need to drive it again to make sure. We live 50 miles from Honda and Toyota dealers though, so it's a little difficult to just hop over for a spin. Also they don't have the 2005 Hondas yet, so I'm waiting to make the trip. Has anybody ever experienced this with any minivans?
  • Use ALG.com for resale comparisom. Hondas are typically worth 5-8% more than a Toyota across the board. Honda just got #1 position for resale value on their entire model lineup from ALG.com. That was for last year, new results should be out soon. Toyota offers rebates on their vehicles, this hurts resale values. Look at Dodge's $6000 back, what are Dodge's worth a year later...nil!!! REBATES are not your friend.
  • Hey, Honda offers rebates, too-- they just disguise them in the form of cheap lease deals or factory-to-dealer incentives. Honda is famous for this. They're not fooling anyone.

You don't think the factory-to-dealer incentive and cheap lease on the '04 Ody hurt resale values? Think again.
    keep them in perspective. Residuals are reported as a % of MSRP, not sales price. Hondas tend to have a smaller invoice -> MSRP spread, and to sell closer to MSRP, so the residual amount is going to be higher than a car that sells for way under MSRP.

Who cares what the residual off MSRP of a GM car is if you paid 6K below MSRP? In real world terms, it might well work out to be the same actual depreciation.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Test drove Odyssey Touring & Sienna XLE Limited AWD today. Both very nice vehicles. Wife prefers Odyssey so that's what we'll get. Hate to give up the great deal on Sienna though. Over $3000.00 off MSRP. Hope Touring (RES/NAV) is worth the extra $2500 it's going to cost over the Sienna. More comfortable seats and non gated shifter on Odyssey won her over, although she was not happy with no power passenger seat. Still looking for the mysterious coin box.
    Had the chance to drive an Ody EX-L today. Very nice. My wife was wondering if she could skip looking at the rest of the choices on the short list and just get the Honda (the answer, of course, is "no", since that would spoil all my fun).

Will try to get to the Toyota dealer this week to do a refresher drive in a Sienna (haven't driven one since last December). At least now an LE is in the cards, since she wants a power drivers seat, but I don't think we want to give up the moonroof, so it may require an XLE.

Wonder what street prices on an XLE with the safety, leather and roof will be vs. an EX-L Ody?

• I wonder if whatever is causing the CR-V engine fires could also cause the new Ody to catch fire? Isell/Jsmath - what is the word at Honda?

I wonder if Honda had this figured out before the new Ody design was finalized?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1145-2004Sep6.html
    "I wonder if Honda had this figured out before the new Ody design was finalized?"

Apparently NOT! http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100856
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    I don't see that the CR-V issue has anything to do with Odysseys?

Steve, Host
  • Probably not, but if they don't know the cause, then it's plausible that the 'feature' could be carried forward to new designs.
    Doubtful - likely different rails, different relationship of the filter to the manifold, etc. Someone is blowing smoke :-) Next someone will be pointing sludgy fingers at Siennas!

Steve, Host
    "Someone is blowing smoke". Umm...The question was "I wonder if Honda had this (CR-V thing) figured out before the new Ody design was finalized?" The question was answered, apparently not "Honda engineers 'as puzzled as anyone' by recent CR-V fires". It wasn't an attempt to stir it up, mearly an attempt to answer the the question with factual data (no they don't have it figured out!). Most of us realize it's comparing Apples to Oranges and should have been asked in the Accord forum where the same engine is used!
    Let's hope that no Odyssey's ignite in a month or two after they get their first oil change. Parts is parts, but I wouldn't be surprised if the CR-V team is on a whole different continent than the Odyssey design/engineering people. It seems a bit of a stretch to try to taint Ody's with CR-V woes (and those woes appear tiny as a percentage of '03/'04's CR-Vs sold).

Steve, Host