Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• toyojunktoyojunk Posts: 19
    Not true almost 5 years later. The Honda Odyssey retains resale value much better than the Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Town & Country, etc.
    The Odyssey definitely has better leg room and more comfortable seats for ALL passengers but the Sienna has the most cargo room and the Sienna cargo room is more efficiently used by having the air intake for rear air/heater located high on the right side of the cargo area. It is easier to get into 3rd row seats of the Sienna than the Odyssey.

With a Sienna, you choose between 7 or 8 passengers at time of purchase but with the Odyssey, you can have 7 or 8 any time you want. The 8 passenger Sienna does NOT have fold down armrests in the middle row but in the Odyssey, there are fold down armrests for both outer seats. When the Odyssey 2nd row armrests are folded down, the middle passenger in the 3rd row has to be quite small to fit between the 2 folded down armrests. Our 6 year old grand daughter thinks the middle seat fits her just right when the armrests are folded down.

I like the Odyssey spare tire location much better than the Sienna location (which is the same difficult place to access as the Chrysler Town & Country).
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    Hansienna is that you?

Per Edmunds True Cost to Own, a Sienna XLE loses 51.4% of its value versus 49.4% loss of value on the Odyssey EX-L. That's not a big difference if you ask me. I didn't bother to look up the T&C, but forget 5 years... 2008 T&Cs already have a 50% discount around here.
  • ronjackronjack Posts: 2
    Hello,

Does any one have experience with the 2006 Odyssey VCM engine.? Does it really save much gas?

Also, looking at Sienna versus Odyssey 2006 re: passenger power seat. Toyota has one. Does Honda, at all?

Thanks.

Ron
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Another source, ALG, gives both vans the same rating:

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

An average or so rating of 3 stars for the Sienna, but guess what? Ody does no better, also 3 stars.

Having said that, this is one reason why both vans are discounted more nowadays.

My cousin actually paid full MSRP for her Ody (back in 2002 IIRC). $25 grand for an LX, so I'm sure if she goes to trade it in today she'd complain just like hansienna has been (of course that's him).

As for Dodge, they also get 3 stars per that same chart but note that ALG dropped residual values on Chrysler products by 6% as of May 8, 2009, and that's probably not reflected yet.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Posts: 70
    Does any one have experience with the 2006 Odyssey VCM engine.? Does it really save much gas?

On a trip last May from the Philly area to Orlando, I was getting 27+ on most tanks. The flat terrain helped a bunch. (5 adults, 1 kid, luggage for a week.)

On a trip about 3 weeks ago to western Virginia - 300 miles, I got 26+ there and back. Not so flat terrain, but only 3 adults, overnight bags, and several briefcases.

The VCM does help IMHO, but getting and staying in VCM is the trick- speed and terrain. Although the Orlando trip included a lot of miles with my son driving 75 -85 because I was too tired to hit him with a tire iron. I'm still surprised that loaded up behemoth of a van got that kind of mpg.

I'm more in the 18 - 20 mpg range in normal mixed driving.
  • ronjackronjack Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Do you notice any difference in sluggishness when it drops down in cylinders? hen you bought the Odyssey, wre you looking specifically for the VCM option.?
  • decondecon Posts: 56
    I test drove the Odyssey EX (no VCM) and the Odyssey EX-L (VCM). The EX seemed more uncomfortable (not as smooth) accelerating. I can detect the VCM cylinder changes in the accelerator going from ECO to regular.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Posts: 70
    I wasn't looking for VCM, but I figured if anyone could engineer it well, it would be Honda or Toyota. I did want leather, so the VCM came along for the ride, so to speak.

Most of the time, I can't detect when it goes in or out of VCM. Occasionally, I think I can, but I'm not really sure.
    FWIW, our friends in Tucson own an Ody with VCM and let me drive it for a day, and I could not tell when VCM was active besides the "ECO" light in the dash.

My complaints were more related to road noise, but the VCM was just fine. Didn't seem to go on very often, though.
  • olavanmanolavanman Posts: 12
    Hello,
    We just got the 2009 Odyssey EX-L with RES and I cannot detect when the VCM goes on or off (except for the "ECO" Indicator). It does make me feel good when the "ECO" light shows up :) . When I am driving down the highway, it comes on quite often.
  • New EX-L owner.

VCM: For me I can not tell when it goes on and off.

For those with VCM issues, in 2007 or 2008 I believe Honda switched to VCM 2 which should be smoother than the old VCM. So unless you are testing the latest and greatest, your experience does not apply to new ody shoppers.

What surprised me about VCM: it goes on/off .... a lot. I thought once you where up to speed, the ody would think about it and then decide to switch a cylinder off, something that would happen a couple times a trip. But in reality iyou let up on the gas just a little, or go down a bit of a hill and it's shutting down cylinders.

I posted this above but it bears repeating: The Sienna gets a poor rating from IIHS on rear crash protection. It's amazing that consumer reports and parents magazine would pick as a top minivan something that has good safety ratings only on 3 sides.....

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/headrestraints.aspx?toyota
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    This has been discussed here and on other forums a few times. Please know the green ECO light does not mean your VCM has kicked in. If you read the owner's manual, you will see VCM actually has no indicator and ECO light simply means you are in "economy" mode. You could well be running on all cylinders (literally and figuratively) while the ECO light is on. Others have gone through great pains to put LED lights to their cylinder bank to get noticed when VCM kicks in. :D
    My Sienns simply shuts fuel off in those conditions (coasting, braking, going down hill), so it effectively saves the same amount of fuel.

Look at real-world tests - CR got the same mpg for the Ody and Sienna, and C&D got 3mpg better in their Sienna driving on the exact same roads.

As soon as I let off the gas to coast or brake my trip computer immediately jumps to 99mpg on the "instant mpg" readout. Works just as well (better?).

The rear crash protection you cite is really just an evaluation of the head rests.

Infants, toddlers, and little kids in boosters don't even use them - you would have to evaluate the child safety seat they are in instead, to see what sort of whiplash protection they offer. If you want your kids to be safe make sure you research how well their safety seats are rated, not a headrest several feet too high to be of use to them.

You're better off taking those off completely to increase visibility - your van will be safer that way.

Think about it.
    Found the details, link:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_restraint_info.html

The dummy used is an average-sized adult male, so these ratings do not apply for kids or even my wife.

Also, they have not even performed the dynamic test at all on the Sienna, so the ratings are based on static measurements only on the front driver's seat only. That doesn't take the seat frame into account at all.

Third, for the Ody they specify "EX model seats (AHR)", so the results don't necessarily apply to all models.
    Since Honda dealers are selling Odysseys with nice discounts, will the resale value of the Odyssey drop?

While shopping for a new minivan, I discovered I can buy an Odyssey for thousands of dollars less than a comparable Sienna or Town and Country.

Has resale value of Odysseys been much better than Siennas because Odysseys have few options that depreciate faster than the base vehicle? A less expensive used Odyssey LX costs more than a used Sienna LE.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    You've been debunked already toyojunk/Hansienna. Please quit trying to spread misinformation.
    In the other thread your quote for a Sienan XLE well over $30 grand, meanwhile four others offered quotes of out-the-door prices under $30 grand.

It's not that the Ody costs thousands less, it's that you just got a terrible price quote on the Sienna.

Keep shopping. Everyone got better prices than you did, by far.

And with a handle like "toyojunk", do you honestly think people believe you're seriously shopping for another Toyota? I don't.
    Are yatesjo and ateixeira examples of Toyota owners who praise the over priced Sienna but wish they owned the superior Odyssey which handles much nicer and has a much better resale value? :confuse:
    Wise decision. People who closely compare the Odyssey and Sienna will buy the superior Odyssey which handles better than the Sienna and has a better seating arrangement.