Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hopefully, but let's not assume that. In a few cases the scores can actually go down. Not likely, but it can happen.

Edit: I looked at the Entourage and Grand Caravan and neither of those have a Good rating for structural integrity in side impacts either. Let's see who can earn it first! :shades:
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    Those images definitely show the weak point in a big box on wheels. It's real tough to get sufficient structural integrity to withstand the basher when you have a huge front door right next to an even huger sliding door. The SUV competitors (with conventional doors) are actually better for this, but face the problem of higher rollover.

There should be some solutions to it, but it will be costly. Tough to work around the geometry. To my eye, it looks like increasing the floor panel integrity at the B pillar would be something they should be looking into.
  • bobber1bobber1 Posts: 217
    $1,800 difference would have not swayed me if the Honda had some more features(which I think you said it did) and if I liked it more. The interest deals a non factor since I usually go the cash route. Funny Honda doesn't have some interest rate deal. They usually do.

As I've said many times, they're both good vans. I've had my Honda for 3 years now and no regrets.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    It is somewhat surprising that honda doesn't offer some form of incentive to match up better in price. If the vans are selling well than I guess there is no reason to deal. Market share issues could trigger some stuff in december I suppose. $1800 would be a factor for me if I was shopping now.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Honda's probably a year away from a new Odyssey design. Toyota's current model will be the "old model" by early next year, making its current model value drop a little more than the Ody's would for this year, I'd think. Just like buying any car right before the new version comes out.

Just speculation here. Feel free to disagree. :)
    That makes sense -- getting rid of the old stuff by pricing it a bit better. Wonder if they will pump out a lot of 2010's just before the unveiling and put additional incentives to make up for the lag in inventory that new models usually produce? I don't even know why I asked that question --- could care less since the 2012 model is the soonest I'll be in the market. :confuse: Need to focus on lunch or improving my golf game. Makes more sense.
    It varies, almost by season. Less than a year after I bought the Sienna people were reporting Ody prices had plunged, more than a grand lower than when I had shopped.

Timing matters - some times Toyota offers the better deal, other times it's Honda.
    This is off topic, but i saw a pic of the possible all new nissan quest and it looked great. May offer another competitor in the minivan market. The current one is poorly rated.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    I've actually been seeing a fair number of Sienna's at the Hertz lots.
    I wanted to rent one when I went to Florida in January.

Not worth it.

Most vans rent for $3xx something, the Sienna was over $600 for the week! :sick:

We got my brother a Grand Caravan for half the price. I don't think any van is worth double as much, that's just nuts.
  • This is a comment posted to another forum (Brand problems swept under the rug):

Here is another website of unhappy Toyota owners about the techniques used, or not used, to keep owners informed about problems. It was started November 10, 2009.

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's getting more and more difficult to find quality products anywhere. Everybody seems to be intent on cutting corners as much as possible.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Post that in a few more places.......
    Honda has had recent problems, too, like the 2-round airbag recall that was expanded. NHTSA is investigating why they limited the recall in a first round of recalls, suspecting cover-ups/foul play.

Why don't we keep stuff like that in that thread, where it belongs?
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    I think a Toyota vs Honda thread is a perfect place to talk about the shortcomings of both vehicles- mechanical problems included.

At least we aren't including the Chrysler twins in the discussion or else we'd not hear about anything but their mechanical problems. Both Toyota and Honda have well earned quality reputations and both, unfortunately, are willing to take some not quite ethical actions to keep those reputations from getting tarnished.
    Sienna is still the #1 van for reliability. If the problem were affecting these vans CR's data would show that.
    Not a single minivan makes the list. :(

Lots of room for improvement, from every single minivan:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr111809.html
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    But then again, if you check the individual results for:
    Chrysler Town & Country
    Honda Odyssey
    Kia Sedona
    Toyota Sienna

you will see the following:
    Roof strength test results
    No roof strength tests have been conducted for this vehicle.

To get a Top Safety Pick, you must score Good on this (rollover). Since none have been tested, none can get a Top Safety Pick.
  • In some ways, these ratings are misleading. I would much rather take my chances in a large minivan than be in a wreck in a Nissan Cube!

Until these tests get "real" about what happens in the real world, you have to take these ratings with a huge grain of salt! :)
    Good catch.

I guess they're different than Consumer Reports.

CR will recommend a vehicle until/unless it fails a test.

I guess IIHS will only name a Top pick after it passes all tests.
    Yes, a Cube is lighter and more narrow, so it's much more likely to roll in the first place.

I still think it's important, though. A manufacturer can "cheat" and design a safety cage to perform well for a specific test, i.e. at a specific speed, or angle, or height.

This test is new so noone cheated. Those 27 cars have solid pillars/roof structures even before they knew IIHS would be measuring that.