Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    got it. In my case, we were looking to get a minivan in the near term, and I only wanted to wait if the new design was awesome (in my opinion it wasn't). Plus I got 2400 below invoice right now, and I think there is a better chance that on the new model, I probably wouldn't get any better than 1000-1500 ABOVE invoice at least for awhile, plus they might raise the base prices, so there was an economic incentive too.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,353
    Well, I guess.

I don't like to spend a lot of time thinkg about somthing that could happen.

Besides, if I get rear ended, it'll the other guy's fault and hopefully they will be insured.

I keep full coverage insurance on our beater1993 Explorer that rarely get's driven. I was going to take off the collision and comp but since it's so old and of so little value, I think state Farm charges us something like 100.00 a year for those coverages. They know it would take very little to total it.

1500.00 a year sounds NUTS for a 1996! Are you sure?
  • gene00gene00 Posts: 113
    Makes sense. I'm sure the functionality will be about the same, so you'll be getting a relative bargain since I'm sure you're right about incentives not showing up for the new model, probably for a year.
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    Finally, someone told me the Ody's 8th seat is supposed to be full-sized? If so, this reversal alone might have me more interested in the Ody next time around (won't be for a while, I'm driving the wheels off my 07 Sienna).
    Just to be clear, Honda claims that the 2011 Ody's 2nd row can fit 3 child seats side-by-side-by-side. Not necessarily full sized (have to wait for more pictures), but you cannot do that with the current Ody 8th seat (and the 2011 Sienna 8th).
    It's not so much that they relocated the spare, as much as the fact that it's a donut now. That plus if you actually get a flat, where can you fit the full-size flat? It won't fit in the same spot.
    Sadly that has become industry standard. It saves weight and cost, so everyone does it now, with only a few exceptions.

Here's one advantage of the Pilot: while it comes with a donut, the space it goes in fits a full-size spare perfectly. That's what's on the back of mine now :)
    My 2004 Pilot came with a fullsize spare, strung up under the chassis in the back. So they've now moved to a donut huh
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    More pics? Have there been any of the interior? If so I haven't seen them, so please share.

For me the interior photos are far more important than the exterior ones (particularly on a minivan).
    Probably to save weight and costs.

If it fits, you can always buy a cheap steelie and spare full-size tires from Tire Rack.

I did that for a 2002 Legacy, and replaced the donut.

Murphy's Law: never once got a flat in 7 years, even though it was my wife's car and she got TWO flat tires with her previous car. :sick:
    The only interior pics are "conceptual" / Virtual image pics, at this time.
    Yeah, I've seen some of those drawings, I was hoping the concept had been photographed inside (or was it just an exterior mock up?).
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    Naw, you're not the only one. I think the new Ody looks really nice. I agree with Juice, though, interior is king with a minivan, so until those pictures surface, we don't really know much. Still, if they really can hit those mileage figures they're claiming, the new Ody has segment leader written all over it. Must drive Toyota nuts...
    MPG is a biggie for me, too. One of the reasons (I suspect) people get a van is that they want better-than-SUV gas mileage.

The last Ody's VCM disappointed me a little. Mileage was no better than the Sienna yet it gave up huge HP.

+2mpg might have swayed me, even with a slight power deficit.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    If the MPGs aren't there for Honda, then there will be no stopping Toyota...

:sick: :shades:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
  • Ha, ha, perhaps you should look at the all new Camry-kazi! ;)
    Slow down else this thread will accelerate out of control. :D
  • So my wife test drove both.

Unfortunately the 2011 Sienna made her nauseous whereas the Ody didn't, and she preferred the ride and fit/finish in the Ody.

So now our big question is: Do we go for a 2010 Ody or wait 6 months for the new one? Really not sure....
    In addition to the fact that I didn't see the new design as so incredible to be worth waiting 6 months for, PRICE is also a pertinent factor you should consider.

1) when new Sienna came out, pricing went up approx $2k
    2) right now there are good deals on Odyssey if you negotiate...I just got mine for approx $2400 below invoice (not sticker). In general, we should expect that for the shiny "new" Odyssey this fall, dealers will be trying to get sticker, or at least something above invoice.

Therefore IMO there could easily be $3-5K extra cost in buying the new version vs the 2010. For me, I didn't see the design or feature "breakthroughs" that would warrant that difference.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,353
    I've heard the "nauseous" comment about Toyotas before.

They have such a floaty ride, like an old Buick.
    Timing is everything.

Remember a few months ago, people were reporting huge price advantages for the Sienna?

Now it's the other way around. The older Honda design is the bargain.

Nausea on a test drive? Which model? Was she sitting up front?
  • She was driving. She's very susceptible to motion sickness, and our current car is a Passat Wagon W8 which has a pretty taught European suspension. She found the Honda ride a bit stiffer, and she didn't get motion sick in that.